• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 4: It’s The Grace In Imperfection

Year of Metal

My guiding principles for the year of metal are strength, valour and integrity.

Strength: I am working on my strength with kettlebells. I must remember that more is not always more. Sometimes more is nagging joint pain.

Valour: My anxiety is well in hand, mostly because I’m at home all the time.

Integrity: I did a good job on Mr Harriet & Professor Pea’s veganism article, despite disagreeing with them. I also found a way to let Mr Harriet know that repeated questioning on why I need meat or why I think it’s healthy is not neutral or harmless, especially when he doesn’t listen to my answers.

I am continuing to enjoy metal. Spotify has been feeding me progressive metal. Apart from Dark Tranquility’s Atoma and Soilwork’s Verkligheten, I haven’t found any new albums or artists that could match the melodic death metal classics such as DT’s Damage Done or In Flames’s Jester Race and **oracle that I loved as a youngster. Apparently peak melodeath has already happened… oh well.

(Here, have an olde-timey In Flames guitar solo)

Spoiler

Track 4: Grace in Imperfection

For this challenge, I am working on the mindset that I can eschew perfection but still make better choices. I read something on precision nutrition about ‘turning the dial’. Instead of perfection or nothing, they described a spectrum of healthier and less healthy actions, and their suggestion was to have a mindset where you pick something that matches your energy level/the difficulty of the circumstances. I know this is kinda what NF says, but I always somehow thought of it as ‘level one this week, level two next week, level three after that’. Like I could start small but had to build on it in a linear way, and needing to backtrack would be failure. The dial approach is more like a daily mindset where you just do a little better than if you hadn’t used the mindset. I’m going to try to think this way about my diet and activities. Except my workouts, because my problem there is doing too much.

Exercise:

I decided on 4 different KB workouts. They are upper body (sets & reps), lower body (sets & reps), snatch day (EMOM) and swing day (EMOM). That way I keep shoulder-stressing stuff to every other day, and I’m going to do a rest day every fifth day like a non-idiot. I can walk every day but I’m keeping it to 30-40 minutes to avoid creating cumulative knee stress. I should stretch between sets or whenever.

Diet:

I’m trying to eat my meals at 9am/12pm/3pm/6pm. Having specific times to look forward to helps me not snack and to realise that mild hunger for 30-60 minutes is fine and not an emergency. Also, I should focus on foods with low calorie density and try to get in some fruit and veg and protein, without insisting on perfection. Anything I can do to reduce alcohol or sweets is good. Use the dial approach. Maybe have something less unhealthy, or wait a bit longer before getting a snack.

(As an aside, Hafthor Bjornssen of the 501kg deadlift had a contract with the GoT people that they weren’t allowed to prevent him eating every two hours despite filming. I feel like we have a lot in common…. eating regularly… not going hungry… you know, stuff like that).

Art

Working on drawing/painting the head this month. Ideally I would do 1 hour of lectures or learning, and 1 hour of free practice, but I will use the dial approach and do what I can.

Other: I want to try to reintroduce writing and meditating. I’ll try them at different times of the day to see what works.

(Here, have the proggy track whose lyric I stole for my challenge title: Haken's A Cell Divides)

Spoiler

• Like 7
  • That's Metal 3

That’s why we need to hear things multiple times and in various ways before we can fully absorb them :) precision nutrition does awesome stuff.

Cant wait to hear how it works for you!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

The dial approach is more like a daily mindset where you just do a little better than if you hadn’t used the mindset. I’m going to try to think this way about my diet and activities. Except my workouts, because my problem there is doing too much.

I love this. I need to learn how to do this.

Also following for the metal. 

• Like 2

Art: Yesterday I watched lectures on painting the head and tried to use the lecturer's process. She looks nice by herself, but she doesn't perfectly resemble the reference. I have work to do. Which I shall. Practice practice. Probably I need to play around with the proportions earlier in the process, before committing to the features.

Spoiler

1243955041_portrait2.thumb.jpg.87822661a256ab9407ec89bb79689550.jpg

KBs: I found I can do pushups on the kitchen table, and it's more comfortable if I grip it underhand. It's easy enough not to strain my joints so much as my muscles. 

table pushups 5 x8

halos 8kg 5x16

rows 12kg 5x16

OHP 8kg 5x16

I kept the rests short: 30-60 seconds.

Writing: I'm counting writing up my challenge

Walk: yep, 40 min

Eating: I finally caved and ate a large portion of the mint ice cream in the freezer. Mr Harriet bought home something like 5 tubs, and I mostly resisted, eating perhaps 2 portions out of a potential 15. Thank goodness they're gone. And today is a new day.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

KBs: I found I can do pushups on the kitchen table, and it's more comfortable if I grip it underhand. It's easy enough not to strain my joints so much as my muscles. 

Oooo, I can do this on my kitchen counter! Thank you for giving me this idea!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Loving your grace in imperfection goal!

12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Love this approach and love your goals! :) 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That’s why we need to hear things multiple times and in various ways before we can fully absorb them :) precision nutrition does awesome stuff.

Cant wait to hear how it works for you!

Thank you, my pretties.

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

I love this. I need to learn how to do this.

Right? The most encouraging thing they said on their website is that they saw good results with their clients as long as they were at least 50-60% compliant with their plans. I mean... that's a lot of imperfection. Of course the 70-80% compliance clients did better, but they suggested the 90-100% compliance clients did not get results much better than that. 

32 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

rhodium.png

(the above posted because it's apparently the most expensive precious metal right now)

Thank you for this rhodium bar. Is this the new currency of NF? 

59 minutes ago, raptron said:

I too relate with Thor. 

🍽️

:D It's like exercises EMOM. But it's snacks EHOH.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Of course the 70-80% compliance clients did better, but they suggested the 90-100% compliance clients did not get results much better than that. 

Wait, what now? Perfection does not make a difference? 

This is... astonishing. I have learned not to obsess over perfection, but it is  a great surprise to me that once you manage to get three quarters of the way towards compliance, you will get the same results as someone who aces everything. This is seriously the opposite of everything the entire world tells us and believes in.

This is huge. This will require reflection and further investigation.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Scalyfreak said:

This is... astonishing. I have learned not to obsess over perfection, but it is  a great surprise to me that once you manage to get three quarters of the way towards compliance, you will get the same results as someone who aces everything. This is seriously the opposite of everything the entire world tells us and believes in.

That's surprisingly how I live a big part of my life. I can do a lot just phoning it in, and often the reward of really putting in a lot of effort is not worth the extra effort.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Wait, what now? Perfection does not make a difference? 

This is huge. This will require reflection and further investigation.

Not exactly the same results. I looked at the page again and it looks like the 90-100% people did do better. But maybe not in proportion with how much harder they worked. I think the point was the jump from nothing to something got the biggest results, and that difficulty increases more rapidly than outcomes, and 50-80% compliance is just fine to aim for if you're happy with good to very good results instead of super amazing good results.

Spoiler

1115928718_consistencygraphy.thumb.png.7bfe5fad6a73ab46332d454137640072.png

23 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's surprisingly how I live a big part of my life. I can do a lot just phoning it in, and often the reward of really putting in a lot of effort is not worth the extra effort.

Diminishing returns. 80/20. Right on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Not exactly the same results. I looked at the page again and it looks like the 90-100% people did do better. But maybe not in proportion with how much harder they worked. I think the point was the jump from nothing to something got the biggest results, and that difficulty increases more rapidly than outcomes, and 50-80% compliance is just fine to aim for if you're happy with good to very good results instead of super amazing good results.

It still flies in the face of my anxiety-drive perfectionist mindset.

This is a helpful and very powerful reminder that the fixation on "100% compliance or all is lost and you might as well give up now!" is actually propaganda from Self-Sabotage and I need to resist it every time I am assailed by it. Is that extra minor progress worth the much higher degree of effort? I suspect that in a lot of things in my life it will not be.

• Like 5
  • That's Metal 1

34 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

It still flies in the face of my anxiety-drive perfectionist mindset.

This is a helpful and very powerful reminder that the fixation on "100% compliance or all is lost and you might as well give up now!" is actually propaganda from Self-Sabotage and I need to resist it every time I am assailed by it. Is that extra minor progress worth the much higher degree of effort? I suspect that in a lot of things in my life it will not be.

Exactly, exactly. I need this because I have high and low motivation patches. They really explained that 'pausing' when you hit a low patch doesn't help you get ahead, it helps you learn how to hit pause. Starting again from scratch every time is so inefficient. But saying 'I can do better than nothing', even in a low phase, builds strength and keeps things bubbling over until you can go full speed again. Now to put this into action...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

"100% compliance or all is lost and you might as well give up now!" is actually propaganda from Self-Sabotage

Ah yes, 99.9% compliance is doubleungood and no different from 0% compliance. I hate those lies.

• Like 3

KBs: Lower body grinds day. lunges hurt my knees, so it's goblet squats, single leg deadlifts, and racked carries.

Art: Yep, watched some lessons and finished two portraits. 

Spoiler

136355753_portrait3.thumb.jpg.2698e5625613e6675d9fe8682fd6016f.jpg1412957901_portrait4.thumb.jpg.fa0b9e636b686898d2ac808a168fd5f5.jpg

Writing: I started super easy by re-reading and editing a flash piece I did a couple of months ago and sending it to Mr Harriet.

Walk: yep, 40 min

Eating: Mostly good except I ate some sugar. Some actual brown sugar in a spoon. I know, it's weird. But it has like 20 calories while a cadbury creme egg has 150, and a serving of ice cream has 480. Going to be dessert and alcohol free tonight.

• Like 3

On 5/8/2020 at 3:55 AM, Harriet said:

Instead of perfection or nothing, they described a spectrum of healthier and less healthy actions, and their suggestion was to have a mindset where you pick something that matches your energy level/the difficulty of the circumstances. I know this is kinda what NF says, but I always somehow thought of it as ‘level one this week, level two next week, level three after that’. Like I could start small but had to build on it in a linear way, and needing to backtrack would be failure. The dial approach is more like a daily mindset where you just do a little better than if you hadn’t used the mindset.

I'm going to copy this and hang it on my work corner. Thank you.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 9:55 AM, Harriet said:

Strength: I am working on my strength with kettlebells. I must remember that more is not always more. Sometimes more is nagging joint pain.

Hi Harriet! This made me laugh! 

I also really like your Grace in Imperfection goals and that's you're working on your mindset. Cheering for you! (/^▽^)/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, //Min said:

Hi Harriet! This made me laugh! 

I also really like your Grace in Imperfection goals and that's you're working on your mindset. Cheering for you! (/^▽^)/

Hi Min, Thank you kindly :) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Eating: Mostly good except I ate some sugar. Some actual brown sugar in a spoon. I know, it's weird. But it has like 20 calories while a cadbury creme egg has 150, and a serving of ice cream has 480. Going to be dessert and alcohol free tonight.

Honestly that makes total sense. And brown sugar is good stuff. I'd just put it in a little bit of tea.. not too much tea, just a little bit.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

Art: Yep, watched some lessons and finished two portraits.

Loving the portraits! And great job on the workouts and writing. :) 

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

Eating: Mostly good except I ate some sugar. Some actual brown sugar in a spoon. I know, it's weird. But it has like 20 calories while a cadbury creme egg has 150, and a serving of ice cream has 480.

Hey, as long as it tastes good then that's all that matters (the low calories are just a bonus ;)). 

• Thanks 1

I get it on the sugar! I've been minimizing my trips to the grocery store and not buying many sweets. So that bag of chocolate chips has taken a big hit that past few days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

KBs - nope. For some reason I just didn't. This is unusual behaviour for me.

Art-yeahhhh I spent like three hours trying unsuccessfully to paint a woman. Something about her face, I just kept ruining it. Couldn't get it right. That's probably why I didn't get around to the KBs or lessons. Any time I tried to go into more detail I just stuffed it up. Something about her proportions. So the best I could make was this very rough monochromatic stain. Anyway. It's practice. And tomorrow is a new painting.

Spoiler

1818091577_portrait5.jpg.d31176e3f0b8c79ac6bd4a0d78c4c92d.jpg

Writing: Yeah! Wrote my first thing in like two months. A very short story of 1000 words or so.

Walk: Yep

Eating: Okay, so I lied* about yesterday. I drank a glass of whisky and ate cheese. It's probably better if I don't make any promises. Today I had oats, baked beans, yoghurt, fruit, and an Ottolenghi ginger fried rice with leeks and egg. And tea and sugar. Spirits, writing about what I ate is tedious. I quit. From now on, please just assume that I ate some things and was unsuccessful at losing weight. 

*ETA I mean, I ate the cheese and whisky after saying I wouldn't have any dessert or alcohol. So I didn't lie so much as suffer a total failure of commitment. 

• Like 3