• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 4: It’s The Grace In Imperfection

I remember listening to a Rich Roll podcast with Kendra Little that brought up a lot of issues with gender in sports. It was super interesting, and really the conclusion was “it’s complicated”. There’s so many nuances to this discussion, both on a social and physical level it’s almost impossible to come to a conclusion that’s fair, when it comes to sports specifically. Testosterone is also not the end all be all hormone, and is not good enough as a metric for separation. (Also where does that put naturally high-T female born women for example? And is it unfair if someone’s genetically really tall or short? And what about using steroids, or growth hormones, in general? What does fair even mean?)

Anyways hope you feel better soon!!!

And I’d love to read your summary on misogyny debate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 4:58 PM, Harriet said:

Some art and editing but nothing else. Am sick with sinus infection and don't feel like it. Not beating myself up, though. This will pass and my warrior spirit will return at the pre ordained time.

I hope you are doing okay. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for checking in, my pretties. I had a very rough week and needed to limit my social media. But things are looking up. I finally decided to quietly unfollow the facebook friends who are stressing me out with their woker-than-thou, call-out antics. And I wrote a private email of support to one of the people they are currently dog-piling (they've got two leftists in their sights right now) because I don't think my friends even slightly understand the effects their behaviour has on other people. Or maybe they do and they don't care.

And now I need to focus on other things. The prospect of a shiny new challenge with no red crosses or tea stains on it yet is very appealing. Like a freshly gessoed canvas.

Oh, and here are all the imperfect paintings I did while I was disappeared. I was always terrible at landscapes, but I think I'm making improvements. I'm trying out some different mark making techniques with them and trying not to get caught up in details. 

Spoiler

1878363870_coffeestilllife.thumb.jpg.ac01a52d4dbac7ac920bc7bf7f68ad69.jpg734624950_tinylandscape1.thumb.jpg.910e77070979fcafca40a6cf13a84f78.jpg1144816777_tinylandscape2.thumb.jpg.2313c4eb8b0619c46d1f739bd1bfd71c.jpg1918871862_tinylandscape3.thumb.jpg.a1cd260cdb1b71885d3bbf5f650bca93.jpg570457273_tinylandscape5.thumb.jpg.8e5a4f297fc185b937a0461f9a5f31c8.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

The river with the rocks by the riverbed looks a lot like a river I used to play in as a child. :)

Oh, nice. Must have been fun to have some cool nature nearby.

15 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I love the coffee one. But then, I love coffee. But there's something very steampunky about it. 😁

It's the brass :) 

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Those are great, I especially love the last one! 

and yay for unfollowing!

Thank you! Yeah, the last one is the best. It just has more light in it, I think.
And yeah, I feel calmer already. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thank you so much for checking in, my pretties. I had a very rough week and needed to limit my social media. But things are looking up. I finally decided to quietly unfollow the facebook friends who are stressing me out with their woker-than-thou, call-out antics. And I wrote a private email of support to one of the people they are currently dog-piling (they've got two leftists in their sights right now) because I don't think my friends even slightly understand the effects their behaviour has on other people. Or maybe they do and they don't care.

Good call! Glad you're back though. 🤗

• Thanks 1

Glad you're back, and I feel you on social media - it's just not a place to have nuanced discussions, and it often feels like some people are intentionally or unintentionally venting frustrations without adding anything to the convo.

But on a waaaaay happier topic - those paintings are lovely! I especially like the way you captured the light on the espresso pot and the cottage - I totally want to jump inside that landscape and just hear the water and the grass moving in the wind. :D

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Good call! Glad you're back though. 🤗

Thank you kindly 😊

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Glad you're back, and I feel you on social media - it's just not a place to have nuanced discussions, and it often feels like some people are intentionally or unintentionally venting frustrations without adding anything to the convo.

True. The internet is.... not the best vehicle for conveying nuance, lol. 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

But on a waaaaay happier topic - those paintings are lovely! I especially like the way you captured the light on the espresso pot and the cottage - I totally want to jump inside that landscape and just hear the water and the grass moving in the wind. :D

Awww, thank you! Those are the best compliments! 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 1:55 PM, Harriet said:

Oh, and here are all the imperfect paintings I did while I was disappeared. I was always terrible at landscapes, but I think I'm making improvements. I'm trying out some different mark making techniques with them and trying not to get caught up in details. 

Oooh very pretty!! I love all of them!! And good for you for unfollowing those facebook friends. They don't sound like good people to be around. 

• Thanks 1

Definitely feel you on the social media. I've taken all apps off my phone and use news feed eradictor chrome extension for facebook on my laptop. Now I check max 1x/day just to check notifications and 1-2 groups. It's gotten excessively toxic, especially of late.

• Like 1