• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet’s Year of Metal, Track 4: It’s The Grace In Imperfection

17 hours ago, Harriet said:

ETA @KB Girl my snatches are looking better and there's no more shoulder pain. I credit your 'engage armpit' cue together with arranging my workouts

Oooo. Nice. 

I also like the Tibetan lady! :)

And good luck getting your sleep caught up to snuff. Being sleep deprived really has cascading impacts on just about every aspect of the day. 😔

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

ETA @KB Girl my snatches are looking better and there's no more shoulder pain. I credit your 'engage armpit' cue together with arranging my workouts so that I only snatch once every five days at most.

Awesome! :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raptron said:

And good luck getting your sleep caught up to snuff. Being sleep deprived really has cascading impacts on just about every aspect of the day. 😔

Indeed. Seconded!

• Like 1

Wednesday 13 May

KBs: lower body day. squats 5x9, single leg deadlifts 5x18, carries 5x10 lengths of our tiny living room.
Art: yes. did this portrait. The lad had interesting features, and it was an nice challenge trying to paint them. Not a perfect likeness, but I'm making progress.

Spoiler

portrait10.thumb.jpg.5647a645b8fc5843ef4a6f7ff4c1ca11.jpg

Writing: no. maybe if I write it here, that I will spend 30 minutes on a flash piece this evening, then I will do so. Yes. I can do it.

Walk: yep, 40 minutes in the rain.
Other: If I write this here, maybe I will find the strength to clean the bathroom instead of being a lazy jerk. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e473d77ad8c8edd8b1541

ETA did the bathroom and 10 minutes writing. I have no thoughts. Writing is hard. But at least I tried. 

• Like 9
  • That's Metal 1

43 minutes ago, Harriet said:

ETA did the bathroom and 10 minutes writing. I have no thoughts. Writing is hard. But at least I tried. 

If your day was anything like mine, this is a huge win. Doing anything at all is always better than doing nothing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yay, nice job! Every little bit counts!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Really love that portrait!

Thank you! 

I am actually super super happy with it. I know it's not perfect and everyone has different art preferences, but it's definitely going in the direction of the style I want to achieve.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I am actually super super happy with it. I know it's not perfect and everyone has different art preferences, but it's definitely going in the direction of the style I want to achieve.

And it's very expressive. I like it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:55 PM, Harriet said:

I am continuing to enjoy metal. Spotify has been feeding me progressive metal. Apart from Dark Tranquility’s Atoma and Soilwork’s Verkligheten, I haven’t found any new albums or artists that could match the melodic death metal classics such as DT’s Damage Done or In Flames’s Jester Race and **oracle that I loved as a youngster. Apparently peak melodeath has already happened… oh well.

Damage Done is absolutely the peak of the (sub)genre, so nothing's going to outdo that, but how do you feel about Eluveitie? I've always described them as Dark Tranquillity -keyboards +folk instruments.

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scalyfreak said:

And it's very expressive. I like it.

Thank you :) This tiny apprentice artist appreciates all encouragement. 

2 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

Damage Done is absolutely the peak of the (sub)genre, so nothing's going to outdo that, but how do you feel about Eluveitie? I've always described them as Dark Tranquillity -keyboards +folk instruments.

I'm so glad someone else understands what Damage Done was. What do you think of Atoma? When the World Screams is my current favourite song and I think it's just perfection, but it's hard to fairly compare something new with something I listened to a million times. And there are a few songs on Atoma that are just fine, whereas pretty much every song on Damage Done was amazing. I wasn't aware of Eluveite. I'm going to explore them now. Thank you! 

• Like 2

Thursday 15 May

Pretty tired and only got all the stuff done after dinner.

KBs: upper body: incline pushups, halos, rows, OHPs

Art: 1 hour lessons, probably 2 hours on this woman. Not an exact likeness but I'm slowly slowly getting better at not 'autocorrecting' what my eyes see to what my brain expects. Not perfect but I'm better off just starting a new one tomorrow instead of fiddling with it. I took some liberties with the hair, which I enjoyed.

Spoiler

1904994904_portrait11.thumb.jpg.4143ce14531034df4d6c574ff81f7bd2.jpg

Writing: nope

Walk: 40 minutes

Other: swept and mopped

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Art: 1 hour lessons, probably 2 hours on this woman. Not an exact likeness but I'm slowly slowly getting better at not 'autocorrecting' what my eyes see to what my brain expects. Not perfect but I'm better off just starting a new one tomorrow instead of fiddling with it. I took some liberties with the hair, which I enjoyed.

Wow I love it!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Thursday 15 May

Pretty tired and only got all the stuff done after dinner.

KBs: upper body: incline pushups, halos, rows, OHPs

Hide contents

1904994904_portrait11.thumb.jpg.4143ce14531034df4d6c574ff81f7bd2.jpg

Writing: nope

Walk: 40 minutes

Other: swept and mopped

That is amazing!!!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I like the hair. It's obeying gravity the way hair is supposed to do. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Wow I love it!

Thank you!!! ❤️ 

17 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I like the hair. It's obeying gravity the way hair is supposed to do. 

Thanks! I enjoyed putting some more painterly marks in, and now I can use the same technique for other portraits. I was kinda just blocking hair in before because it didn't interest me. Gotta find that balance between detail and blocks. I love blocks. But you can have too much block. 

20 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

That is amazing!!!

Not sure if you mean my day's work or my portrait, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume you mean the portrait because mopping is not that amazing, lol. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Thank you!!! ❤️ 

Thanks! I enjoyed putting some more painterly marks in, and now I can use the same technique for other portraits. I was kinda just blocking hair in before because it didn't interest me. Gotta find that balance between detail and blocks. I love blocks. But you can have too much block. 

Not sure if you mean my day's work or my portrait, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume you mean the portrait because mopping is not that amazing, lol. Thank you!!!

Yes, I meant the portrait, lol. But hey, if I mopped, it would be amazing. 🤣

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Not an exact likeness but I'm slowly slowly getting better at not 'autocorrecting' what my eyes see to what my brain expects. 

Hide contents

Lovely portrait. More specifically, I like color scheme and the fly-aways and the shading is interesting. Not bad mopping either. :D

That auto-correcting must be so difficult to not do. Win!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Harriet said:

What do you think of Atoma?

I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet in its entirety but what I've heard sounds good. DT have soooo many albums already and their sound hasn't changed enough over time to make me terribly interested in new material. Not knocking them by any means; there are plenty of good bands who I'd categorize similarly while still liking them a great deal. Just hasn't worked its way to the top of my listening queue yet.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet in its entirety but what I've heard sounds good. DT have soooo many albums already and their sound hasn't changed enough over time to make me terribly interested in new material. Not knocking them by any means; there are plenty of good bands who I'd categorize similarly while still liking them a great deal. Just hasn't worked its way to the top of my listening queue yet.

Yeah, I was catching up recently because I Damage Done was the ONLY DT album I knew (I listened to metal as a youngster, because friends fed it to me then stopped for 6 years or something because I didn't know what to listen to or how to find music I liked). I listened to Atoma and thought wow, there's going to be so much new awesome metal. But then Construct, Character and Fiction all a bit samey. So I haven't had the second metal renaissance I was hoping for, though I've found a few things I like.

3 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Lovely portrait. More specifically, I like color scheme and the fly-aways and the shading is interesting. Not bad mopping either. :D

That auto-correcting must be so difficult to not do. Win!

Thank you! Yes, the brain is very stubborn and wants to make faces look more like they would if they were straight on and not at interesting angles. The brain hates foreshortening. Or at least, whatever part of the brain interferes with painting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

These last two portraits are straight 🔥

That is a lot of stuff after dinner. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you kindly for the encouragement ❤️ 

I mean I didn't finish until after dinner. It was a mistake to do kettlebells so late because I couldn't sleep. 

Wowowow those portraits are the bomb! I'm especially a big fan of the guy, there's a slight moodiness or something to how he comes off thanks to your brushstrokes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

That last one is also very lovely! So can we commission portraits yet? :D

Thank you! Ummmm, I need some more practice before I can reliably take a likeness. 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Wowowow those portraits are the bomb! I'm especially a big fan of the guy, there's a slight moodiness or something to how he comes off thanks to your brushstrokes.

Thank you so much ❤️ He did have a brooding stare in the reference photo.