Jarric - Building a Foundation

Jarric

I feel like I should address this challenge and give it a proper wrap up.

It's fair to say this hasn't worked out as planned, and I want to examine why. This might end up rambling a bit.

On @//Min's thread (last week I think) we were talking about how difficult it is getting in to stretching, and a few things really resonated with me:

• Just doing something without seeing progress isn't very motivating
  • If you don't track progress you don't see progress
  • I have a real tendency to let perfect be the enemy of good. If I can't dedicate an hours to doing all of my exercises I am liable to not do any of them.

On to of that I know I'm pretty terrible at scheduling stuff - I always imagine an activity will take less time than it does and I end up late for a lot of things as a result.

At the same time, this week my Crossfit gym re-opened. That was briefly quite exciting news, but after two sessions I realised that it was all going to be training inside against current CV19 regulations, and that they're just hoping to get away with breaking the rules. I'm not good at breaking the rules #lawfulstupid. I also felt like a bit of a hypocrite when I was reviewing a professional sports club's procedures for going back into training, having been to the gym the same morning.

Anyway, getting to the point, I am now still working out from home, but without the aid of my Crossfit trainer as he's now back teaching classes. So I have to design my own programming, which I've drafted and am now going to see how it goes. What I need to do is incorporate some of my hip rehab within my training, somewhere, or find a way to properly schedule it in addition to my training.

I think I'm probably going to challenge with the assassins next round, as I build my home workouts in a mostly callisthenic kind of fashion. Goals will be to build and stick to a workout plan, and to incorporate things to rehab my hips within that plan. I also need to track my stretching and rolling properly, rather than just tracking the bits of the workout where I can easily count reps.

So yeah, I guess I have a plan. Or a plan to have a plan. Or the promise of a plan. Or something.

I'm awarding myself 10XP for this challenge, despite having failed it outright, on the basis that I think I have learned something about myself and about how to programme things more effectively. Next challenge might tell me if that's actually true.

• Like 5

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

6 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I also felt like a bit of a hypocrite when I was reviewing a professional sports club's procedures for going back into training, having been to the gym the same morning.

Did you do that review for business or peleasure?

7 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I'm awarding myself 10XP for this challenge, despite having failed it outright, on the basis that I think I have learned something about myself and about how to programme things more effectively. Next challenge might tell me if that's actually true.

No challenge where you learn something can ever be an outright failure. See you in the next one! 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

4 minutes ago, deftona said:

Did you do that review for business or peleasure?

Business, we do their insurance so insurers want to know that they're managing their risks properly when they reopen the ground to players.

5 minutes ago, deftona said:

No challenge where you learn something can ever be an outright failure. See you in the next one!

Yeah, fair point, thank you!

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Apropos to nothing, I've just realised that this thread should have been called "Jarric Gets Metal \m/", because this challenge would have usually been me going to Download Festival. I'm watching the alternative they've put on YouTube now, and it's weird to think about how different things are this year for once.

• Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler