I have no idea where to begin

Hiya fellow nerds! Im glad I found a forum like this so lemme just get into it. Im 25 and female. I used to be very healthy I took dance classes on a regular, had a decent diet and was 5'4 125LBS. Then when I turned 18 I got an auto immune disease. I was immediately put on corticosteroids for inflammation and very quickly ended up bedridden but the worst began 2 years ago when I developed a generalized anxiety disorder. In a little less than a year I put on 75LBS, was bedridden most days and am now sedentary. I also dislocated my knee last year and it has since not felt the same. I spend most time in bed now. My doctor tells me I am completely deconditioned and will have to "re-learn" everything. But where do I even begin? My body aches from excess weight and a 5 minute uphill trip makes me feel as though I'm going to pass out. Im completely out of shape. I get heart palpitations and get dizzy with the slightest effort. My diet was also in the trash for the longest time because prednisone (My auto Immune med) increases your appetite. Ive only just recently switched to eating as healthy as I can. Im not the most financially stable individual with getting sick constantly but I do what I can. I also just got a planet fitness membership but thanks to covid thats a bust. Im stuck at home and the only exercise thing I have are 2 10lbs dumbbells altho I could likely afford some type of equipment up to $50 in cost. I need so much help Im so last for where to even start. I just want to be able to cosplay Ryuko again ; A; 

• Like 1

well First

(and anyone replying Should be intend this...)  we are not doctors. we have no specific medical knowledge about your conditions and even if we did- surely that person would never give medical advice freely over the internet like this.  it is Never a bad idea to discuss exercising with your doctor.

that disclaimer is often stated on all Fitness advice/blogs but it seems particularly important given the kinds of disabilities that you are describing

that being said.  there's a couple real problems with telling you to go talk to a doctor right now!  the first being that most of them are either; unavailable or reserved for this covid disaster going around the world.

I myself have some medical auto immune diagnosis and I do Quite a Good bit of various kinds of exercises- so at 25, I can't imagine that you are hopelessly disabled for life. (but as I said about medical advice.....)

----

even if you had no disability at all; I would still give the same advice to any N00b (no offense) that asked about an exercise routine

• make it small
  • make it reasonable
  • do it persistently if not often

the last can be unclear to people so to clarify generally most people exercise 2-4 times a week.

regarding WHAT!

there are So many options!  but maybe some of them are beyond you.  still you imply strength training with dumbbells and that is a good first choice.  

again getting back to basics that apply to everyone

• you've got to learn to listen to your body -sharp pain is absolutely bad but dull fatigue often happens and with rest; your become stronger and healthier
  • you've got to do Enough to cause a Stimulus to your muscles and body
  • but NOT so much that you hurt yourself
  • Lastly, over time you Increase that stimulus so you start building up your strength and endurance.
  • your appearance improves, you feel better and you get healthier.  this is becoming Fit and you become slowly able to better and more stuff.

there are two kinds of injury; chronic and acute.  

• Acute injuries are when you push your body so hard something is damaged and can no longer function normally.  your pull a tendon for example.  this is usually caused by doing something too intensely or using too much weight.  you Should start with little weight that seems easily lifted. 
  • Chronic injuries are when you push your body in ways they are not designed to move, and over time things get broken.  This is about Bad form!  for example; if you use your little wieght in ways that twist or bend your back badly-- this BAD form can cause long term problems. you don't want this- so do everything you can to do your exercise with Good form.  YOUTUBE is your friend here.  even exercise in front of a mirror to see how you look.

anyways... I'm gonna stop!  there is ofc Lots more that I can say.  but I horrible about Going on and on....

your first biggest assignment is to think hard about what you WANT to do.  there ARE other options besides dumbells; for example... you could

• start a walking program
  • explore some bodywork ideas  (NF has a beginners program already laid out)
  • practice a little very limited, slow dancing

and all this is assuming that running is too much and you lack access to a bike or pool.

Since I can't stop talking when I should. and it occurs to me (and I was Just writing about it on another thread)....

DON'T waste money on exercise until you know what your going to do. Really!  I get that spending does give you more options but all too often- beginners Waste money on whims and don't get any fitness out of their hard-earned cash at all. sad. but true

Now I'm done. ;)

Best of luck op. and don't let your problems become your destiny!

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

well First

(and anyone replying Should be intend this...)  we are not doctors. we have no specific medical knowledge about your conditions and even if we did- surely that person would never give medical advice freely over the internet like this.  it is Never a bad idea to discuss exercising with your doctor.

that disclaimer is often stated on all Fitness advice/blogs but it seems particularly important given the kinds of disabilities that you are describing

that being said.  there's a couple real problems with telling you to go talk to a doctor right now!  the first being that most of them are either; unavailable or reserved for this covid disaster going around the world.

I myself have some medical auto immune diagnosis and I do Quite a Good bit of various kinds of exercises- so at 25, I can't imagine that you are hopelessly disabled for life. (but as I said about medical advice.....)

----

even if you had no disability at all; I would still give the same advice to any N00b (no offense) that asked about an exercise routine

• make it small
  • make it reasonable
  • do it persistently if not often

the last can be unclear to people so to clarify generally most people exercise 2-4 times a week.

regarding WHAT!

there are So many options!  but maybe some of them are beyond you.  still you imply strength training with dumbbells and that is a good first choice.  

again getting back to basics that apply to everyone

• you've got to learn to listen to your body -sharp pain is absolutely bad but dull fatigue often happens and with rest; your become stronger and healthier
  • you've got to do Enough to cause a Stimulus to your muscles and body
  • but NOT so much that you hurt yourself
  • Lastly, over time you Increase that stimulus so you start building up your strength and endurance.
  • your appearance improves, you feel better and you get healthier.  this is becoming Fit and you become slowly able to better and more stuff.

there are two kinds of injury; chronic and acute.  

• Acute injuries are when you push your body so hard something is damaged and can no longer function normally.  your pull a tendon for example.  this is usually caused by doing something too intensely or using too much weight.  you Should start with little weight that seems easily lifted. 
  • Chronic injuries are when you push your body in ways they are not designed to move, and over time things get broken.  This is about Bad form!  for example; if you use your little wieght in ways that twist or bend your back badly-- this BAD form can cause long term problems. you don't want this- so do everything you can to do your exercise with Good form.  YOUTUBE is your friend here.  even exercise in front of a mirror to see how you look.

anyways... I'm gonna stop!  there is ofc Lots more that I can say.  but I horrible about Going on and on....

your first biggest assignment is to think hard about what you WANT to do.  there ARE other options besides dumbells; for example... you could

• start a walking program
  • explore some bodywork ideas  (NF has a beginners program already laid out)
  • practice a little very limited, slow dancing

and all this is assuming that running is too much and you lack access to a bike or pool.

Since I can't stop talking when I should. and it occurs to me (and I was Just writing about it on another thread)....

DON'T waste money on exercise until you know what your going to do. Really!  I get that spending does give you more options but all too often- beginners Waste money on whims and don't get any fitness out of their hard-earned cash at all. sad. but true

Now I'm done. ;)

Best of luck op. and don't let your problems become your destiny!

Ah a response!!! (Sorry if this isnt how you respond to comments Im new!) THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE! Im glad to say I do have a doctor and have spoken to him about this! He always says to start slow with walks and such but he is typically very vague about his advice ahaha he says a lot to take it easy and not push myself. I guess it never crossed my mind that I could start slow! I used to be a very busy body wanting results as fast as possible but now I have to learn to change that. I really appreciate your response, hearing from someone else that its ok to start slow really reassures me! Also thanks for the 2-4 times a week advice, typically Id try to work out every day and by the end of the week Id be exhausted and quit :< ah to go back to the days of 16 when I could do cardio every day for hours on end and not feel ah though ive entered the shadow realm the next day. 

Running is only an issue for me because my dislocated knee is healing SO SLOW because of my medication and admittedly poor diet choices. Its been a year but theres still some signs of unhealed damage and inflammation in my recent Xrays. I was told a slow stretching regimen and a proper balanced diet should help (I tend to forget to stop to eat meals and then make up for it with useless snacks that have no nutritional value...goodbye Baja Blast and Pringles ; A;

ANYWAY I also talk too much ahaha I just really appreciate you responding! My doctor thinks itll be impossible for me to get fit as long as Im on prednisone and I am DEFINITELY gonna prove him wrong >:T

• That's Metal 1

OMG we HAVE to prove him wrong!

Anyways here's what I was able to google up on prednisone.

http://www.pemphigus.org/handling-prednisones-side-effects-naturally-2/

I'm no doctor and the article keeps it general ... 

but i NOTE

"Loss of muscle mass – Exercise is very important for keeping muscle mass. While on prednisone, try to exercise within your own range."

I have no comment on the supplements suggested in the article.  dietary suggestions and supplements are something I've never played around with. other people here are much more educated on them; and they may come around and post.  @Definings one of the better ones and I appreciate her posts (though there are many other people with educated and insightful posts in this topics as well).

as you might expect its important to be Fit, no matter what you Age or disability!

also, I'm Sympathetic to your thoughts about running. bc. I LOVE running!

I am just days from signing up to my first marathon.

but I do AGREE with your doctor on one point.

you really Should take it slow. 

do something Persistently (three times a week), Then add the intensity later on- when you body can handle it.  I really do think you will Get faster NO quicker if your hurry up and do tons of exercise. or even do exercise every day.  the pattern is to do a bunch; then REST and recovery and let your body heal and get stronger then ever.

so getting back to my thoughts about running.

Walking is certainly your golden key back to running.  and any kind of quicker motion can be something you Add in - in little amounts- to start strengthening and building your body up to where you can handle a genuine and certified jog. 

as you Say- your not 16 anymore- but I'm not 16 either. I'm 48! and I began running just 2 years ago... so IMHO it CAN happen.  take it slow- but I'll argue with anyone on that says you can't get in running shape at only 25 years of age.  

but I can't say whether your ready for a c25k like program.  some people are , even if they are sedentary, but you probably need to be slower then that.

So thats ok.

then, Walk!  walk regularly!

its really good low impact exercise that totally gets you ready for something better.

---

even if your very motivated to try to get back to running (or do running)- this only emphasizes how important getting all the rest of muscles strong really is.  you need good strong muscles and joints to do this!

what do you know about dumbbell exercises?  Stuff like a LUNGE or a SQUAT is very, very good for your run.  I could add a few details; but you prolly could get more and better by just googling some.  "dumbell exercises for runners"... reduce some of the list though- some of there suggestions might be too much.

there's No subsitution for listening to your body when it comes to weight training.  you should always start very easy and go up only as it seems Safe to do so.

that brings me to another topic I know less about then some; but that is very Helpful to someone that wants something better then stretching that can build your mobility and agility such that running becomes possible and safer....

Yoga!

I've done some of it in my past and I Think it might be really Really good for you. (but I'll be quick to say that I have less experience here than many, MANY people here on this website)

and like I said in my first post; its just one of many many choices for you to explore.

a little yoga, walking with hints of something faster, and some basic dumbbell stuff would make a brilliant exercise routine, op!

PS not to dismiss any medical advice; some people don't think much about stretching- espacially what they call "static stretching" where you just pull at your muscle stiffly staying in some kind of pose.  (yoga is instead about breathing as you Move INTO a pose; much better IMHO).  it used to be quite the rage many years ago- but a heap of medical research have given it mixed reviews.... now MAYBE you're in a place where its really REALLY good (again medical advice!)- but ... IMHO I think that you can do Better if your look elsewhere and that Elsewhere is Yoga or something like it

----

anyways,

you've done briliantly so far, OP!

I look forward to hearing you succeed at getting something started. YOU CAN DO IT!

So, I'll repeat what's already been said: you need to speak to your doctor about starting a new exercise routine.

That being said, there is definitely an activity you can start doing ASAP: walking. If walking for 5min uphill hurts, then try for 3min on flat surfaces. Then see if you can extend it to 3min 10s the next day. And so on and so forth. Walking is AWESOME for you, and you can do it in little pieces throughout the day, no big 'workout' required. The goal is to go for 10seconds more than you did yesterday.

Yoga & some of the suggested exercises are great, but don't do them if they're uncomfortable - slow & steady wins the race. If your doctor told you stretching, they should also tell you how/what/how much - if they didn't, ask! FWIW, there's nothing wrong with static stretching - just don't do it before weight lifting.

As for diet, again I'm going to suggest that you need to consult with an expert to ensure that your individual needs & circumstances are being addressed. But pretty much everyone can benefit from eating more fruit & vegetables. If you're not eating any right now, try for at least one a day - then, just like the walking, try to slowly increase. Once 1/day is easy, try for 2/day, and keep going!

I am also guilty for forgetting meals: meal planning & setting alarms on your phone can help.

If you need help with meal planning, there are tools like eaththismuch.com and others that you could take a look at. I also believe that most people can benefit from eating fewer refined foods, and more whole foods - think oatmeal instead of cornflakes. ;) 

If you need something easy/no-thinking, this is a good guideline for all your meals:

Portion.jpg.e35ba186c273d497e98e0871b487bc21.jpg

Remember to go slow, be safe, and have fun! Welcome to the forum. :) 

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

2 hours ago, Defining said:

...FWIW, there's nothing wrong with static stretching - just don't do it before weight lifting.....

@Defining

I have a question. I heard specifically static stretching was Bad, or/perhaps inadequate for runners.   what is your opinion on this?

is there some serious medical debate on it, that you know of?

are is this advise about the stretching partly because its her doctor's recommendation?  just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he's up to date about the latest on fitness. many doctors aren't.

I've specifically been given medical advise from a doctor that I debunked with direct scientific study found on the internet (just saying).

( ofc there's the great risk of not being educated enough to properly UNDERSTAND studies on the internet- or unaware that a given study doesn't reflect the consensus of lots of other studies and thus, there is medical debate about it.)

2 hours ago, Defining said:

Yoga & some of the suggested exercises are great, but don't do them if they're uncomfortable - slow & steady wins the race. If your doctor told you stretching, they should also tell you how/what/how much - if they didn't, ask! FWIW, there's nothing wrong with static stretching - just don't do it before weight lifting.

Do you think Yoga is a Little bit Better then stretching for creating flexibility and mobility.?

that's been my impression googling around.  in fact I'm much more quick to go into a yoga pose then to copy some kind of generic stretch.  

I do agree FWIW; that yoga needs approached with an amount of cautiousness and restraint.

but somehow it clicks, as something I strong recommend for mochi in particular.

the talk about how she feels limited in what she can do; and her concerns about strength and future limitations.   

also it seems the most direct way for her to someday get back to something she clearly loved; dance

but again to mochi; if you do pick up or attempt to do yoga.  don't just try any old (hardcore) yoga pose.  do the easiest of the easy and evaluate; how does you body feel ? can I do something harder??  yoga also incorporates breathing (in a Big way!) and even a feeling of meditation.  I think this is all very good for you (and eventual running).  (I know I'm stuck on that- I quit now)..

--------------------------------

anyways; (defining) there's no daylight between us about the walking.  Walking is Great exercise!  and I LOVE and highly recommend the progressive way you advise her to do it. ty

2 hours ago, TGP said:

@Defining

I have a question. I heard specifically static stretching was Bad, or/perhaps inadequate for runners.   what is your opinion on this?

is there some serious medical debate on it, that you know of?

are is this advise about the stretching partly because its her doctor's recommendation?  just because he's a doctor doesn't mean he's up to date about the latest on fitness. many doctors aren't.

I've specifically been given medical advise from a doctor that I debunked with direct scientific study found on the internet (just saying).

( ofc there's the great risk of not being educated enough to properly UNDERSTAND studies on the internet- or unaware that a given study doesn't reflect the consensus of lots of other studies and thus, there is medical debate about it.)

Bear in mind that I'm not an expert or health professional.

Static stretching is inappropriate during warmup, because it is not a warmup activity and it can affect force production if held for too long. Static stretching after working out, or to increase flexibility, or to address trauma/injury rehab, is completely appropriate. Especially when directed by a medical professional. There is never 'one correct answer'; especially when it comes to recovery from surgery/injury. Yes, dynamic stretching & similar activities like yoga can also be good tools in the arsenal, but they are not inherently better - they are simply different tools. 

I will also note that while most doctors are not given lots of training around fitness and nutrition specifically, that's because it's not their main concern - that's what dieticians and physiotherapists are for. ALL of these professionals go through YEARS of training, to know how to treat you correctly, based on individual circumstance. I encourage chatting with your doctor about any concerns you may have about treatment, but just because a study is available to read on the internet does not mean that it's gone through the appropriate rigors to be used to recommend treatment in clinical settings.

Studies on nutrition, health, and fitness in particular are especially challenging because they are often 1) for a specific population; 2) small sample sizes; 3) for a short period of time; 4) average values do not reflect individual outliers and variation in response; 5) sometimes based on reports from subjects, which can be unreliable; 6) sometimes testing such minute responses as is difficult to find statistical significance; I could go on, but that's enough reason to take them with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...