• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JessOfAllTrades

JessOfAllTrades Rebuilts Structure

Oh, hi all. I just recently posted on the respawn board and figured why not try a challenge?

I think I was a Druid before my last NF hiatus. I've dabbled in Assassin, spent quite some time with the Rangers, and now I'm here because the pandemic has taken away a whole lot of the structure in my life and that's no good for a chaotic, executively dysfunctional person like myself. So I'm here while I work on rebuilding and redefining my structures and routines, even though this current moment will not be the way of things forever.

Since this is my first time back in over two years, and I am still learning how to cope with my new "normal," this is going to be a very basic, baby-step kind of challenge. I hope to be able to increase my goals as I go, but I know me. I'm a notorious over-promising, all-in type of person the first few weeks, then I stop once my willpower runs out. So this won't be much, but its a start on rebuilding some structure in my life as I try to adapt to my new normal for the rest of my school year.

1)  Get those steps
Getting my 10k steps was pretty easy at work. A major part of my job was monitoring hallways, going to classrooms, and generally running around a giant high school to check up on kids and break up fights. But now? i'm lucky if I get anywhere near 5k, because I'm just not moving as much. I'm usually between 1000 and 2000. Sure, if I go for a walk I can do a bit better, but convincing myself to go outside since our weather has been wonky (Maryland was under a freeze advisory as I write this), it is so easy to just. Not. Do. It. So that needs to change. I want to get back up to 10k, but I think it needs to be a process for me. I want to aim for 5k the first week, everyday, and reassess from there. Hopefully I can continue to bump it up as I hit my goal.

Week 1: Hit 5k steps 5/7 days

Week 2: Hit 6k steps 5/7 days

2)  Drink that water
Ahhh hydration, my favorite ally to hate. I know it is important, but I hate drinking water. Not only do I think it tastes bad, but I cannot seem to balance being hydrated with chugging glasses of water only to have to pee constantly afterwards. I love carbonated water, especially with some hint of fruit flavor, so I plan to look into a few options to spice up that water life, but for now I need to work on getting at least 64oz of good ol' plain water in my system. And I need to try and do it at certain times, like before my morning coffee, and not too close to bed time.

Week 1: Hit 64oz of water a day; one glass right away in the morning

Week 2: Hit 80oz of water a day; one glass right away in the morning

3)  Start moving purposely again

Despite concerns with weight gain, I have never felt incapable of moving before, until now, because I'm not moving very much. The steps goal will help, but I also want to start some very basic exercise again. I have to be mindful that I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment, and pushing myself to do a full workout is totally going to make me give up, but why not some planking and stretching? My back needs it from all this sitting, and I can tell I'm losing what muscle I had. Ideally I would love to build up to full bodyweight circuits and jogging, but let's take it one step at a time by trying to do one activity a day. This can include planks, bodyweight exercises, stretching/yoga, and perhaps jogging and biking if I decide to splurge on a new bike for my birthday. >.>

Week 1: Do at least one bit of exercise a day 5/7 days

Week 2: Do at least one bit of exercise a day 5/7 days; one bodyweight circuit this week

4)  Stop shutting down
So my favorite unhealthy coping mechanism is shutting down and ignoring my feelings. It is easy for me to do, especially since I work in an emotionally-draining profession. It is a professional survival skill to avoid compassion fatigue and secondary trauma, but I'm a little too good at it and I do it all the time. I tried to express my frustration in my last therapy session and I don't think I was fully honest with my therapist about how much I'm going apathetic instead of processing. Stressed about the state of the apartment? Just ignore and waste time on the internet. Too tired to do anything you planned? Just play Animal Crossing so you can look productive and not address it. On and on and on. I am a professional feeling-avoider, and it is getting worse since quarantine-life kind of reinforces shutting down. Again, some of it is necessary, because our brains can only process so much stress and uncertainty, but I'm going on week 9 of working from home and now that we know schools are not opening the buildings back up I need to make some changes.

I'm not sure exactly what this will look like yet. I imagine I need to work on some mindfulness practices, maybe journaling a bit, and some healthy self-care as opposed to the completely indulgent kind... So

Week 1: Develop a list of activities you can try to work on being more mindful in the moment and try them (and report back!)

Week 2: Add meditation and mood tracking and report back

• Like 7

Grading Goodness

Week 1

Spoiler

1)  Get those steps

Hit 5k steps 5/7 days

Sunday:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

2)  Drink that water

Hit 64oz of water a day; one glass right away in the morning

Sunday:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

Do at least one bit of exercise a day 5/7 days

Sunday:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:

4)  Stop shutting down

Develop a list of activities you can try to work on being more mindful in the moment and try them (and report back!)

• Like 1

Alright, goals are up. I may still do some tweaking, but I think this is enough for the first challenge in a long time. Especially since this is during a pandemic and all.

I would love to hear any and all suggestions on mindfulness activities. I know as a school counselor I should know more about this, and I have a lot of stuff I suggest for my kiddos, but real adult experience is probably going to be better for me to hear.

• Like 3

Welcome back! Great to see you again. If I remember correctly from previous challenges the key for you is getting through week 3. Once you do that, I think you are set to go. Maybe create a reminder in your calendar to check in here three weeks from now and see if that can help give you that kick.

I also really like that you are committing to "one bit of exercise each day" as I know others here have had real success with the. Not feeling it at all, and just can't be bothered? Go down and do 5 push ups or 3 squats or just one plank. Jus too get that one thing done.

For mindfulness as an adult, I know meditation apps really help me out. I am currently trying gratitude practice every evening, though it is hard for me to remember to do it... so reminders from your phone can help with that (I'm saying that for myself as well.) Also, reading books on mindfulness can really help me to remember that I can approach any task with mindfulness... but sometimes reading about mindfulness can feel like underpants gathering. And finally, I know some people will use a special bracelet or watch band as a reminder to do things mindfully throughout the day. It can seem silly, but a physical reminder to stop, take note of what you are doing and asking yourself if you are being present can really help. I know it helps me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Welcome back! Great to see you again. If I remember correctly from previous challenges the key for you is getting through week 3. Once you do that, I think you are set to go. Maybe create a reminder in your calendar to check in here three weeks from now and see if that can help give you that kick.

I also really like that you are committing to "one bit of exercise each day" as I know others here have had real success with the. Not feeling it at all, and just can't be bothered? Go down and do 5 push ups or 3 squats or just one plank. Jus too get that one thing done.

For mindfulness as an adult, I know meditation apps really help me out. I am currently trying gratitude practice every evening, though it is hard for me to remember to do it... so reminders from your phone can help with that (I'm saying that for myself as well.) Also, reading books on mindfulness can really help me to remember that I can approach any task with mindfulness... but sometimes reading about mindfulness can feel like underpants gathering. And finally, I know some people will use a special bracelet or watch band as a reminder to do things mindfully throughout the day. It can seem silly, but a physical reminder to stop, take note of what you are doing and asking yourself if you are being present can really help. I know it helps me.

It's funny you mention the physical reminder to stop. I just went back to re-read a series of articles one of my fellow educator friends sent me awhile back, because she knows I love talking about executive function. The author talks about having to set phone alarms to check in with herself, specifically when addressing a particular behavior. 

Also hello! It's nice to hear from you! You are totally right about my tendency to wimp out around Week 3, so it looks like that will be going into the google calendar. And the underpants gathering warning is a good one - Mindfulness has become such a hot topic over the last decade I'm sure I will be overwhelmed the minute I expand my search, which is why I'm glad to hear from actual people about what they do. 

• Like 2

Oof, starting challenges on Sundays is rough. However, I managed to clear my schedule this morning so I could ease into things. Apparently with how chaotic life is currently, I need my weekends to be a little more relaxing, which is tough when I generally have at least one D&D game I DM, and improv rehearsal via Zoom which is baffling as well as oddly stressful? Even though it is supposed to be a creative outlet for my extroverted self? Life is always an adventure with anticipatory anxiety, let me tell ya. Now we just need to figure out if we can brave the cold for a walk.

Anywho, here's my silly, dramatic Sunday thoughts: 

5_10_2020.jpg

• Like 2

Alright, so two days are in the books, and overall things are off to a good start:

Hit 5k steps 5/7 days: 

• Current: 2/2 (with one day over 10k!)

• Current: 2/2 on 64oz, 2/2 on first thing in the morning

• Current: 1/2. I skipped Sunday.

Develop a list of activities you can try to work on being more mindful in the moment and try them (and report back!)

• Currently setting a timer throughout the day so I can disengage from a task and get a read on how I'm feeling. So far this has been good!
  • Starting a journal for processing said feelings, because shit got a little real on a walk Sunday and I don't want to forget everything before my next appointment. This is really good, because I am so forgetful and tend to feel like I'm "on the spot" in therapy therefore I do not always remember to bring up things I should. I think that has to do with the time between sessions, because I go once a month and maybe that's why it feels like I'm not making progress at the moment.

So lots of good stuff happening. My step goal has been thrown for a loop because I did not realize my work challenge gives extra points for hitting 10k steps, and my department/team is incredibly competitive, so.. We'll see how that impacts my actual goal setting, but for now I'm staying with 5k. Also, it is a real challenge to sit here and drink water before my coffee in the morning, but I think I feel physically better for it.

• Like 3

Welcome back.

I agree its much harder to get my steps in right now. I am trying to set up a routine where I take a quick walk around the block before lunch and then another after I get off work. Its mostly working.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 11:12 AM, GoodDoug said:

Wow, sounds like you are off to a great start!

So far! Hoping to keep the steam going.

23 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Welcome back.

I agree its much harder to get my steps in right now. I am trying to set up a routine where I take a quick walk around the block before lunch and then another after I get off work. Its mostly working.

Good luck.

I'm doing something similar! I go for a walk after lunch, and recently I've been venturing to nearby parks for slightly longer walks later in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

Hit 5k steps 5/7 days: 

• Current: 4/4

• Current: 4/4 on 64oz, 4/4 on first thing in the morning

• Current: 2/4

• Continuing with timed breaks and journaling.

Still doing well. Almost forgot my water yesterday because we did a coffee run instead of making our own, but I remembered just in time. Also forgot to do my plank, which has been the exercise of choice this week, so now I have to get something done everyday remaining, but that may be a good thing because daily activities are easier to remember and get done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

Still doing well. Almost forgot my water yesterday because we did a coffee run instead of making our own, but I remembered just in time. Also forgot to do my plank, which has been the exercise of choice this week, so now I have to get something done everyday remaining, but that may be a good thing because daily activities are easier to remember and get done.

Glad you remembered both your exercises and your water. I find I do much better with having to do something daily as opposed to trying to remember to do something  a few times a week. This is also why anything that gets added to my challenge has to be able to be done in 5 minutes a day. (it can go longer, but all I am committing to each day is 5 minutes).

Keep up the good work

• Like 1

Hey there! Welcome back welcome back :) 

Sounds like you're being super level headed about not over doing out of the gate! That's awesome. Burnout is real. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:20 AM, JessOfAllTrades said:

Currently setting a timer throughout the day 

This is 100% the first thing I was going to suggest in response to your mindfulness question. Mindfullness is just another muscle we learn to flex, and nothing does it quite like repetition.... but.... remembering to do it until it becomes habit is tough! I'm a huge fan of notifications, for all different things! Setting a timer, alarm, notification, SOMETHING you will absolutely notice to remind you to do a thing is so useful, even if you don't act on it the first few times, the reminder seeps in there. 10/10 love!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:20 AM, JessOfAllTrades said:
  • Starting a journal for processing said feelings, because shit got a little real on a walk Sunday and I don't want to forget everything before my next appointment. This is really good, because I am so forgetful and tend to feel like I'm "on the spot" in therapy therefore I do not always remember to bring up things I should. I think that has to do with the time between sessions, because I go once a month and maybe that's why it feels like I'm not making progress at the moment.

Wasn't even going to bring it up, but I'm also a huge fan of journalling. It sounds like you're on a strong path for all the things you've outlined! Considering your concern about falling off in a few weeks, may I suggest a timer? 😂But totes for reals, like, a reminder in two weeks that can help you return to this motivated place?

On 5/14/2020 at 6:10 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Glad you remembered both your exercises and your water. I find I do much better with having to do something daily as opposed to trying to remember to do something  a few times a week. This is also why anything that gets added to my challenge has to be able to be done in 5 minutes a day. (it can go longer, but all I am committing to each day is 5 minutes).

Keep up the good work

Thank you! I like the idea of setting a small period of time, because generally I will go longer on something, but 5 minutes does not register as a burden of a task.

On 5/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, RedStone said:

Hey there! Welcome back welcome back :) 

Sounds like you're being super level headed about not over doing out of the gate! That's awesome. Burnout is real. 

This is 100% the first thing I was going to suggest in response to your mindfulness question. Mindfullness is just another muscle we learn to flex, and nothing does it quite like repetition.... but.... remembering to do it until it becomes habit is tough! I'm a huge fan of notifications, for all different things! Setting a timer, alarm, notification, SOMETHING you will absolutely notice to remind you to do a thing is so useful, even if you don't act on it the first few times, the reminder seeps in there. 10/10 love!

Wasn't even going to bring it up, but I'm also a huge fan of journalling. It sounds like you're on a strong path for all the things you've outlined! Considering your concern about falling off in a few weeks, may I suggest a timer? 😂But totes for reals, like, a reminder in two weeks that can help you return to this motivated place?

Thanks! Notifications have been huge for trying to practice that mindfulness muscle. And I definitely have a calendar reminder set for week 3 due to my ways. :) 

• Like 1

Okay week 1.

Hit 5k steps 5/7 days: 

• Current: 6/7
  • Grade: Goal met

Summary: I took it easy on Saturday. The end of my week was surprisingly busy and I was working with very little sleep for two days in a row, so I made peace with not pushing myself to take a walk or go outside. Still, every other day I managed over 5000 steps, closer to 8000 most days, so that was good. It took planning long walks, but it was a good excuse to explore some of our hiking trails in the area, which I have not done despite living in this location for a year and a half. I think this week I will bump up the step goal a bit, but I want to keep it at 5/7 because weather could ruin my chances.

• Current: 7/7 on 64oz, 7/7 on first thing in the morning

Summary: 64 was not a hard goal for me. I think in the past I've aimed for much higher (especially because the whole standard 8 glasses a day isn't accurate), but honestly most days I was above 64, I just stopped tracking it at that point. The hardest part was forcing myself to drink water before coffee, because I typically consume coffee before anything else. I had to catch myself a few times. I may bump up the water goal a bit this next week just to see if it feels any different, but also because we're getting warmer weather now. I still hate water.

• Current: 6/7

Summary: Okay, so planking did not happen every time, but my end of week walks definitely were more intense due to the hiking trails I picked. And part of me was reluctant to count that since it was also helping my step goal, but at the end of the day my tracker considers long walks with elevated heart rates as exercise, so I'm not going to discredit that, because I was tired as hell after them. Some of those hikes were hard (for my current state of being), in hot weather, with elevation climbs. Planking shouldn't have fallen off my radar, but Thursday/Friday were surprisingly busy with events that went late into the evening. I think this week I will not change much here, but it is time for me to try and add in one day of a simple bodyweight circuit. Just one, along with my other just one activity a day goal.

• Continuing with timed breaks and journaling

Summary: This may be a lot. You can read it if you want, but please know I will reference anxiety.

Spoiler

This was just to test the waters, and while I started strong, I ended the week needing some shelter from my feelings. However, I found myself trying to use some of my take-a-ways from my Sunday musings that served me well this week. Let me go into some more detail without hopefully boring you all with my various emotional/mental quirks. Sunday I had improv rehearsal where an outside coach worked with us. We did this via Zoom, since our home theater is closed during this time. Right before rehearsal I had gone on a walk where I decide to pick at some reoccurring thoughts and forced myself to sit with some major discomfort and grief, so I went into rehearsal a little emotionally unstable. One may think that isn't a bit deal for improv, because improv is supposed to be funny and all, but this has been one of my biggest personal challenges of 2020 because I haven't done long form improv ever, and my last improv troupe was in college, not counting my experience with commedia dell'arte in the SCA which is partially improv (... I have such a weird, wonderful life). So I have some major impostor syndrome with this group, and unfortunately my anxiety tends to take control when I work with them because many of them are professionals or have been doing this much longer.

So here I was, already a bit of a mess, and the first thing that happens in rehearsal is the guest director gets on my case for being too harsh on myself and using a judgmental lens which blocks creativity. I was completely taken aback because that's just how I function. I tend to always have a judgmental lens on because that's anxiety, and it was wild to be called out by a stranger just after having a whole lot of feelings about my anxiety on my walk. Despite the discomfort, it was actually a wonderful kick in the pants, and a great way to think about why my creative burnout has been so pervasive recently. You see, I hate my anxiety, and while I'm sure it has always been a part of me, I wasn't diagnosed till my early 20s, and ever since I have been resentful on how it seems to control everything I do. I constantly think about how I miss the "old me," before anxiety was named. There's a lot more to unpack there, but I am trying not to ramble on too much, but basically Sunday was a moment of "This is who I am now, it is not going away, and it doesn't make me any less worthy just because I seem to think I was a better person before and that probably isn't accurate." So I'm working towards peace to my current self, and all she has accomplished, even if I miss and grieve for who I used to be before my mental health issues went full force.

So since all of that I have tried really hard to ignore the judgmental voice in approaching my fun, creative stuff, and I've seen some good things happen. There really isn't room for creative expression in the moment when my judgey voice takes over, so I'm trying to remember that, because my creative stuff is fulfilling, fun, and part of what makes me awesome.

I'm not sure where I want to go with this coming week. Journaling has been good. The alarms are making me pause and reflect. Maybe I'll try some meditation this week? 

Okay week 2, here we go. I'm excited to add some things to the challenge, as well as celebrate turning 34 (which how is that possible?). Still considering getting a bike, because I miss riding, but also not sure I want to spend good road bike money since the spouse and I are working on house buying (did I mention that in past posts? Probably not.) so we shall see. I will follow up with a post on goal changes for week 2 shortly.

• Like 4

Updated Goals

1)  Get those steps

Week 2: Hit 6k steps 5/7 days

2)  Drink that water

Week 2: Do at least one bit of exercise a day 5/7 days; one bodyweight circuit this week

4)  Stop shutting down

• Like 2

1)  Get those steps

Week 2: Hit 6k steps

• Current: 2/3 days (missed today)

2)  Drink that water

• Current: 3/3 days (so much water. Not sure if I notice a difference yet or not)

• Current: 3/3 days (two walks + planks)

4)  Stop shutting down

• Current: Attempt at meditation, still deciding on how to track mood.

Of course today I only have 5400ish steps, but I'm not going to go walk around at 9:35 a night to fix that. I did however, go ahead and get a plank in since I didn't do any major walks/hikes today. Otherwise this week is going fine so far, even if I am tired and still feeling a little emotionally wrung out from last week. Also had to have a conversation with my spouse about not barging into the office room when the door is closed because today he interrupted my meditation attempt. That and it is incredibly distracting for me to get back to work regardless when it happens. So door closed means I am not to be bothered. 

And we now have a filter for water, so I am excited to get that going and maybe I'll learn to love hydration a little bit? We shall see.

• Like 2

Great job! I am really inspired at how you are taking the emotional challenges head on... I wish I could find a way to do that.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 8:41 AM, JessOfAllTrades said:

Thank you! I like the idea of setting a small period of time, because generally I will go longer on something, but 5 minutes does not register as a burden of a task.

I figure I can generally find 5 minutes. and if something goes longer, that is fine. But sometimes just saying "Go look at this and move one thing" gets me started.

13 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

Of course today I only have 5400ish steps, but I'm not going to go walk around at 9:35 a night to fix that. I did however, go ahead and get a plank in since I didn't do any major walks/hikes today. Otherwise this week is going fine so far, even if I am tired and still feeling a little emotionally wrung out from last week. Also had to have a conversation with my spouse about not barging into the office room when the door is closed because today he interrupted my meditation attempt. That and it is incredibly distracting for me to get back to work regardless when it happens. So door closed means I am not to be bothered.

I am sorry you are so tired and worn out. I have found that when I do a quick 15 minute walk through  the house at 9:30 when I am a bit off mentally, it helps wear me out so I sleep better.

Hopefully things go better today

1)  Get those steps

Week 2: Hit 6k steps

• Current: 5/6 days

2)  Drink that water

• Current: 6/6 days (so much water. Not sure if I notice a difference yet or not)

• Current: 6/6 days (two walks + planks)

4)  Stop shutting down

• Current: Attempt at meditation, still deciding on how to track mood. Honestly I've stalled a bit here.

Alright, so weird to update right before the end of the week, but I felt like I needed to check in for my sake so I know how to spend my Saturday. Yesterday wasn't my best because I decided enjoying myself on my birthday was a little more important, so I ain't mad about my choice. Food was definitely over calories but not excessively so (yeah, I started logging food again because I am over this un-shifting weight thing, but it isn't in the challenge because it was a spur of the moment decision on Monday). Spouse got me a soda stream, so now I can filter my water and make my own carbonated water, which is super exciting. Now I just need to find ways to flavor it without adding a ton of calories. The main reason I wanted one was to cut down on my can/bottle usage because I go through a lot of sparkling water and wanting one makes me feel every bit of my new age of 34. Still trying to decide if I am going to splurge on a new bike, even though shopping for one right now is a little complicated. Bike shops are open and considered essential business, but seeing as I hate going out for non-essential reasons (I don't *need* a bike), I'm not sure I will go through with it. Also, we finally met with our realtor, so house hunting is getting real.

I got over 6000 steps by taking a walk yesterday, but didn't get much higher. Not hitting 10k as often as I did last week, but at least I'm still hitting my goal. Also still need to get my body weight session in, which is going to be tomorrow because I am best when under a deadline and today is rainy and gross. I'm already miffed about going for a walk in the rain later, so I'm not pushing my luck by also throwing in exercise (I plan to do it outside thanks to the 3rd floor apartment life). 

I'm getting used to my water intake, and I am seeing some positive results skin-wise, so that's motivating. 

Goal 4 hasn't progressed much this week due to lingering exhaustion and personal frustration with meditation. I know practicing helps, but meditation has always been difficult for me to do, and my current environment isn't great for it. So this slipped to the backburner while I focused on other stuff. I am totally aware that some of my exhaustion is due to work, because we have hit the point of the school year where everyone is done. And we were already feeling done due to online learning. One of my friends described it as having senioritis again and that about sums it up. I'm ready to stop working from home for a bit and get ready for my new position next year. Less than a month to go.

Here's to hoping for a productive push for the end of this week.

• Like 2

Okay week 2, not as strong as week 1, but still moving along.

Week 2: Hit 6k steps:

• Current: 5/7

Summary: The good news is one of the days I missed happened to still be over 5k. Go figure. I'm not upping the goal this week only because I just hit it, and I'd hate to make it 6/7 days since the weather is often against me. However, I may consider making 10k part of the goal at least once or twice, so I'm still working towards 10k a day.

Hit 80oz of water a day; one glass right away in the morning

• Current: 7/7 on 64oz, 6/7 on first thing in the morning

Summary: Yesterday I was halfway through my coffee before I remembered my water. Oh well, otherwise actually having water has not been the worst. I may consider scheduling things a bit more for this week, like having half of that water intake before 1:00 or something.

Do at least one bit of exercise a day 5/7 days; one bodyweight circuit this week

• Current: 5/7; 0 bodyweight
  • Grade: Goal not met

Summary: And here is where the challenge starts to dip a bit. Apparently I am not ready for a bodyweight circuit at all. Working out at home has always been hard for me, and there aren't a lot of great spaces near where I live where I can do it outside. I think jumping to a bodyweight thing was a little ambitious for me, since going out for long walks/hikes is pretty much all I've been doing regularly. I so miss the gym and my trainer. I need to do some reframing around this for the coming week.

Add meditation and mood tracking and report back

• Continuing with timed breaks and journaling, attempted meditation, did not mood track
  • Grade: Goal not met

Summary: Clearly I'm still emotionally hungover from last week. This week was much more difficult in regards to being aware of my feelings. I didn't stick to last week practices everyday, and the new ones didn't happen, except for one meditation attempt. I'm trying to wrap my head around why the past week was so difficult for me to process and I cannot come up anything besides just feeling exhausted. Thursday I gave myself some leeway since it was my birthday, and my calorie counting went haywire the last part of the week, but that shouldn't be enough to completely throw me off like this.

So yeah, Week 2 was tough. I'm worried about Week 3 since I am going back to work for three days to help with senior stuff. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I will be outside all day, in a mask with gloves, working on laptop returns and other student obligations. Part of me is looking forward to going to work, even if I'm not partnered with one of my work buddies for the task. However, that means I won't have my flexibility that comes with working from home to go for walks and/or cook. So it may not be a good week to increase my goals too much.

I'll put more thought into this later today. I'm still waking up despite it being 11 o'clock. Tuesday is going to be rough since I'm reporting to school by 8:30 and I am out of practice getting up early.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

So it may not be a good week to increase my goals too much.

It's great that you notice and acknowledge that. The hard part for me in that situation is to not say "F*&^ it!" and call the week a wash. If you can figure out how to do what you can this week, I think you will be set up for success.

Good luck and Happy belated Birthday!

• Like 2

Updated Goals

1)  Get those steps

Week 3: Hit 6k steps 5/7 days; hit 10k two days

2)  Drink that water

Week 3: Hit 80oz of water a day; one glass right away in the morning; drink 32oz by 12

Week 3: Do at least one bit of exercise a day 5/7 days; stretch in the morning 3x this week

4)  Stop shutting down

Week 3: Continue journaling, add one self-care task a day

Alright, hopefully this will work with going back to work this week. Self-care tasks can include hair/skin care, creative hobbies, reading, game planning, etc.

• Like 3