• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miss_marissa

The Rack: Warrior Guild Chat

On 5/16/2020 at 4:55 PM, Scalyfreak said:

The gyms in my state reopened today.

The gym I belong sent out a survey to all members two weeks ago, when the plans for reopening the state were announced, and asked a lot of questions about what they would need to do for members to feel safe returning to the gym. A couple of days ago, in anticipation of reopening, every member was sent a long list of the changes they have made to their facilities, and an equally long list of how members are expected to behave to minimize the risk of spreading the virus. The email implied very strongly that if you are not willing to adhere to these expectations you don't need to be in the gym. They also offered all members who were not comfortable returning yet, the option of freezing their membership for an additional 60 days at no charge.

I just received an email confirming that my membership has been frozen and normal billing will resume on the 29 of July. I know this is the right thing for me to do, as my immune system is easily confused and not always operating the way it should, but it still makes me sad. Self-Indulgence is throwing a screaming tantrum that's about to turn into a long crying session, and I suspect she's going to be inconsolable for a while.

It's the right thing to do. We're reopening too early. It is not worth the risk. Not to me, or to everyone else going to the gym. It's not safe to return to the barbells yet, regardless of how much I want to. But it's making me a little sad right now none the less.

My gym did the same as they are looking to open Tuesday when our states order lifts. Feeling a lot of the same anxiety as you are. One of the questions on the survey was about equipment w/ the choice being 

• I want to workout the same as before, a variety of equipment and full access to the gym
  • use less equipment than before, but I'm ok with sharing some things, as I know people are washing their hands and equipment is being cleaned
  • I don't want to touch anything that anyone else is touching.

I can't imagine selecting anything but the bottom option.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

My gym did the same as they are looking to open Tuesday when our states order lifts. Feeling a lot of the same anxiety as you are. One of the questions on the survey was about equipment w/ the choice being 

• I want to workout the same as before, a variety of equipment and full access to the gym
  • use less equipment than before, but I'm ok with sharing some things, as I know people are washing their hands and equipment is being cleaned
  • I don't want to touch anything that anyone else is touching.

I can't imagine selecting anything but the bottom option.

Me neither! Because we do not know that they are washing their hands!

One of the things my gym says they expect of the returning members is to stay away from each other. Don't work in with anyone else, ever, and they want everyone to carry a personal towel and sanitizer spray bottle (which they will provide on check-in) and clean off all equipment before and after use. 

The list of expected behaviors they emailed out is honestly a good one, and if I trusted everyone at my gym to follow the list I would be a lot more comfortable going back. But I don't, because I am still one of the very few non-employees who wears a mask to the grocery store. Even if I could intellectually reason that it was safe to go back, the  sight of all that gym equipment so many others have touched would send my anxiety into overdrive.

I will say I appreciate that both our gyms are making obvious efforts to make it a safe as possible. If nothing else it shows they understand that one of the main reasons we to our gym is because we feel comfortable there and we enjoy it, and they want to ensure that can still happen. It's not their fault I don't trust the people around me. :) 

Personally I wouldn't worry about transfer by touch too much because I can largely control that by washing my own hands- but being in a room with heavy breathing people would freak me the F out. Breathing air that somebody else has already 'used'? Nooooo thanks. 

(I am really scared my country will allow gyms to open soon because I really don't want to open even though not being open is also terrible.. i'm liking this outside thing we can do now, fresh air and UV light to kill viruses)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Personally I wouldn't worry about transfer by touch too much because I can largely control that by washing my own hands- but being in a room with heavy breathing people would freak me the F out. Breathing air that somebody else has already 'used'? Nooooo thanks. 

I'm mostly worried about transfer of touch by stuff getting on my hair or clothes from a bench, for example, and then my long hair getting in my face. All those droplets from heavy breathing have to land somewhere too... when in doubt, be more paranoid, not less ;) 

My gym is not opening showers or saunas, so they're not complete idiots. Still, there's all the rest of the indoor air that people will be polluting.

• Like 1

They sound like they’re handling it pretty well. I think they can’t afford to not open. For every person like us who freaks at the idea there are probably at least two who would condemn them for staying closed. Even cancelling our outdoor class yesterday got some bad reactions from people thinking it was ridiculous if we weren’t even sick.. (they were nice enough about it, but still)
So I think when we are allowed to we also have to open.. 😫

1 minute ago, KB Girl said:

They sound like they’re handling it pretty well. I think they can’t afford to not open. For every person like us who freaks at the idea there are probably at least two who would condemn them for staying closed.

Public opinion in our state is that the governor should never had issued the month-long Stay At Home order in the first place, so... :(

I completely understand why the gym is re-opening from a business stand point, and a part of me hope that enough members return that they can at the very least stop losing money and afford to pay all the additional employees they hired to help disinfecting equipment. And yes, if my gym follows through on all the stuff their email said they would do, they get gold stars for trying harder than most to keep things safe.

I'm going to go be bitter at my hyper-paranoid immune system now. 😒

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yeah, I got the impression sharing air in enclosed spaces was the main transmission mechanism. But who knows, really. 

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, I got the impression sharing air in enclosed spaces was the main transmission mechanism. But who knows, really. 

That's the biggest cause of stress for me with this virus, to be honest. That lingering fear that we don't know enough about ityet.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

That's the biggest cause of stress for me with this virus, to be honest. That lingering fear that we don't know enough about ityet.

Yes. With things we know, our risk management approach can be guided by what other people do, what we've done in the past... but when it's new, it's hard to gauge how careful to be. Because risk management isn't a merely a factual matter of counting probabilities. It's also a normative question of decided how much risk you're comfortable with. And it's easier to do that when you can compare to everyday risks that you already have some intuitions about. But covid isn't very analogous to other everyday risks. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone here, members, staff, and owners, of this little safe harbor on the internet we call NF. It is the only place that I can think of that is not overflowing with trolls and haters. Where everyone is supportive and accepting of differences and encouraging when the struggle is real. 

Thanks everyone! Let's continue to keep this a nice place to be for everyone. 

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

22 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone here, members, staff, and owners, of this little safe harbor on the internet we call NF. It is the only place that I can think of that is not overflowing with trolls and haters. Where everyone is supportive and accepting of differences and encouraging when the struggle is real. 

Yes. This.

Thank you.