• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug trains for the Dragon Heart

Oof, I feel ya on the sugar intake.   I keep ending up at night needing many more calories, so am turning to sweet treats.   Need to find some alternatives, that are sweet, but healthy and calorie dense with good stuff.

Give yourself time on the writing.   You know how it goes - anything that you do, that you then do less, needs time to get brushed off to get back to where you were.     This is why we need shadow clones.

• Like 1

Super quick update (and I know I owe a recap of last week):

Been doing exercise in the mornings, food is going okay. Baking and cooking are going well but I haven't found much time for creativity. Work is a little hectic.

I've been doing some learning at work and reading. Also, trying to get back into juggling clubs. Don't tell my wife but there are now a whole lot of marks on the ceiling from the clubs hitting them. But I am getting much better. Amazing what a little practice can do.

Back to the grind! I hope to do a longer post later.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Don't tell my wife but there are now a whole lot of marks on the ceiling

Hahaha I love this statement.  It's adorable. :)

• Like 1

A couple of days late, but recap for last week:

Ran once, but kept up with other exercise. Food was a bit of a wash again. I know what I need to do, but having a hard time actually doing it.

Creativity was good. Did some drawing and some writing. 

Meditation was not done at all... oops. Gratitude was done a few times, I'm still having a hard time with it, but it is getting better. One thing I am trying to do is focusing on getting stuff done, and appreciating and being thankful for the process of getting work done. That seems to be a good avenue.

Learning was had, with for work and outside of work. I need to figure out how to jut sit down and read more. Maybe the next challenge will have a reading goal in it...

Overall, maybe my worst week of the challenge, but not terrible. If this is the worst, I feel pretty good about this challenge.

Now for the last couple of days:

Monday I got my GMB Vitamin workout done and went for a good walk in the evening. Also tried a new thing: when my "Time out" timer goes off to remind me to take a 5 minute break from work every hour, I am picking up the clubs and juggling. I can only get better with consistent practice. Clubs are something I've always wanted to get better at, but kept making excuses for why I wouldn't practice (no room to practice, someone is sleeping, I'm tired, I don't want to hurt my hands...) But now I am just going for it as much as I can. I am very slowly getting better.

Tuesday was a bit of yoga and handstand practice as well as another longer walk in the evening. Also got some writing in. Work has been a bit of a pain this week... not because it is bad, but because I am working on hard problems that take a lot of focus. I enjoy it, but it is really tiring.

Wednesday was busy. In the early morning I did GMB Vitamins, and then took my daughter to soccer. They are doing a socially distant fitness and practice thing which they are all really happy for. I went for a good hike in the woods while they did that. Got back and went head down for work. When I cam up for air later my older daughter wanted to go running. Oof! I was already tired from the workout and hike in the morning, but agreed... letting her know I might be a bit slower. Turns out we weren't any slower, did better than our run last week. But it meant I had to push myself the whole way. 

I've noticed that when I go into a run thinking, it's going to be hard, I resign myself to doing the work and so get a good time.

I need to take some time today to look at the first post of my challenge and see if there is anything left to do that I said I would do. Then we can start planning for the next challenge.

• Like 2

Sounds like you are getting a lot of movement in.

Glad your daughter is able to get back to a soccer practice. I think it's really important to figure out ways to make that kind of thing work.

• Like 1

Took a look and if I want to do the little things I said I would do this challenge I need to draw once more, get into the woodshed, and paint minis once this week. That's a busy weekend! I think I can get the drawing done for sure, and we can probably find a little time to throw some paint on minis... the girls have the dining room table covered in plastic for the painting they did yesterday, so I can sneak that in.

Otherwise we had a good day yesterday. Work was still really hard, we are getting close but probably won't meet our deadline for getting this thing we are working on in this release. It's disappointing, but we can't say we didn't give it a good effort. So today should be a bit of wrapping stuff up and picking off some low hanging fruit tasks to do.

Older daughter's birthday is this weekend... she is turning 17. She has decided that today she and her sister are baking cookies all day. They took out ten sticks of butter last night so they would be ready for this morning. I weep for my pancreas. She wants me to make Butter Chicken and Naan for her birthday dinner, so I've been looking at recipes for that and I think I have a handle on it. I'm kinda excited to make it, but I know it won't turn out as good as the stuff from our favorite place over the hill.

Did the GMB Vitamins workout for this morning and it was all Frogger variations which are fun, but I am surprised at how weak my arms and shoulders still are... even after all this handstand training. I think I need to find a way to target that, and some of the movements I was doing today might be able to help that. I wonder if some pulling exercises might help with the pushing as well. It also points out that Vitamins are great, but they don't really develop strength as much as I would like. I'll finish them out, but it might be time to add some more stuff on the in between days that is a bit more focused on strength.

• Like 1

Well, what Ryan from GMB would disagree with you on the movement not building strength. His position is that the frogger develops strength and control. After I did Elements, I gained just as much(or maybe more) strength as when I did a pull up program of 6 weeks. Which isn't to say you shouldn't add other stuff, just that as simple as the frogger  and frogger variant movement seems, it is actually very good at building strength

• Like 1

If you want to get stronger at frogger do more froggers. If you want to get stronger at handstands do more handstands. 🙂 They’re such highly specific movements that even if you complement them with other stuff you’ll still have to train those.

• Like 1

Nice bit of updates GoodDoug!    You're doing well!    And if you don't crank through all the little things this challenge you've still really stuck to it overall!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Well, what Ryan from GMB would disagree with you on the movement not building strength. His position is that the frogger develops strength and control. After I did Elements, I gained just as much(or maybe more) strength as when I did a pull up program of 6 weeks. Which isn't to say you shouldn't add other stuff, just that as simple as the frogger  and frogger variant movement seems, it is actually very good at building strength

I get what you are saying and you have a point. I feel, for me, that Vitamins in particular aren’t enough for me to build strength. I am focusing on slow, controlled execution of this specific exercise and then won’t do it again for many weeks because of the way it is set up. 
I misspoke and misrepresented what I am feeling which is that I need to do more outside of GMB vitamins and not pretend that it is enough for me.

Does that make sense?

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

If you want to get stronger at frogger do more froggers. If you want to get stronger at handstands do more handstands. 🙂 They’re such highly specific movements that even if you complement them with other stuff you’ll still have to train those.

Yeah, I know that I need to knuckle down and build strength for handstands. But I do feel like they are somewhat complimentary and that the general weakness I feel in my shoulders and back is just that: general weakness. I am hoping that some contra exercises might help me develop a more balanced general strength. 
But your point is well taken, I will be working more on handstand strength as that is what I really want.

35 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

I get what you are saying and you have a point. I feel, for me, that Vitamins in particular aren’t enough for me to build strength. I am focusing on slow, controlled execution of this specific exercise and then won’t do it again for many weeks because of the way it is set up. 
I misspoke and misrepresented what I am feeling which is that I need to do more outside of GMB vitamins and not pretend that it is enough for me.

Does that make sense?

Yes, makes perfect sense. Sometimes I am in the mood for GMB Vitamin stuff or Elements, and sometimes I feel like a straight bodyweight or kettlebell program is what works best.

• Like 1

Last couple of days recap:

Saturday was my daughter's birthday and they made a ton of cookies on Friday. I of course had to help quality control them. I also did a good long strength workout on Saturday morning before I made breakfast waffles. The rest of the day was pretty busy with cleaning and moving stuff around so she could have a socially distant gathering with a couple of her friends. Sunday was more cooking. Daughter wanted butter chicken and naan for her birthday dinner (which we did the day after her actual birthday.) It turned out so well. It tasted better than the restaurant we get Indian food at over the hill and the garlic sourdough naan was really good (after I burned the first one.) But it took at least half the day of cooking to get it done. At least we have leftovers.

Challenge Recap:

Physical:

• Run 2x a week 
    • Missed one run a couple of weeks, but overall, not terrible but not great
  • Exercise 4x per week
    • Nailed this goal and then some. Got some bodyweight exercise in most days of the challenge
  • Eat Smarter
    • Uhhhhhh... yeah, that didn't go well

Emotional:

• Cook 1 good meal a day
    • Mostly did this... was the only bright spot on food
  • Creativity 4x a week
    • Mostly... but this was a hard one. Got most of my mini quests done, but not all
  • Gratitude every night
    • This came in fits and spurts. Need to get better about this

Intellectual:

• Duolingo every day
    • Did it every day except one, but I could have done better
  • Learn new stuff
    • I did this, and it was good but I'd like to do better
  • Work better
    • This I did very well. Got a bunch of stuff done and felt good about work again

Bonus:

• Nurturing
    • My sourdough starter (Doughregard) is still alive
    • Connected a little better with the kids
    • Need to do better nurturing the wife

Overall, not terrible. Exercise was pretty good if eating was not. I know what I need to do for eating to get better (go back to tracking) but I'm not ready to go back to that. It is more mental energy than I want to spend on it. So I'm going to continue to do what I can to eat better, and when I feel up to it I will go back to tracking all of my food again.

What worked:

Having a schedule for workouts was great. And getting something in every day was really good. Food was better when I stopped baking cakes and cookies every other day. Focussing on creativity and learning was good, and having specific things to work on really helped to direct and motivate me. I need to remember that if I make it part of my next challenge.

What could have gone better:

Food was a big drag. I recognize how bad sugary treats make me feel but I keep doing it anyways. I could have had a better schedule for running to make it more consistent.I could have set up a reminder or some cue for gratitude in the evenings. Gratitude work makes me feel happier overall, but I sometimes resist it.

Thnx all for following along

• Like 2

I mean, it was a pretty solid challenge overall.  Not perfection, but still solid progress across many aspects.

It was a joy to be around for it - you do such cool stuff!

Can't wait to see ya on the next page.

• Like 2