Let's break this down, shall we?

tumblr_m40y2s8dkK1r6oyo7o1_400.gif

I set up my first challenge last month and I guess I let the crisis get the better of me; I went from working full time, to working from home, then furloughed, so all of my habits got chucked straight out of the window (1). 

It also didn't help that I had a run of bad luck, the pull up bar I bought didn't arrive (2) and the pole I bought was lost in transport,  but I know the root of it really comes through from my choices - I let the lack of equipment dissuade me from working out, I chose to focus on home improvement projects instead of counting calories, I let myself get overwhelmed with trying to figure out a stretch routine and I let myself feel sad every time I looked at any remotely close to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.    

However! All is not lost! On the eve of a new challenge week I can start again and make better choices, I can give myself grace that while I have not stuck to my original plans I did make some significant progress in improving my home and as of this week I now have a pull up bar, some gymnastic rings and a dip station, so we can start this challenge off right.

What can I say, we all get a do-over, right?

vIr.gif

(1) This is the annoying thing about habits, I have to generate enough motivation to start the habits so once they've built up I can just go on auto-pilot and I don't have to rely on any of that pesky motivation, then when something interferes with the habits I've got to start the whole process again, and trying to find motivation to start healthy new habits in a pandemic is a really difficult thing to do. 

(2) Well, I say didn't arrive, the box it was supposed to come in arrived, but someone had tampered with the packaging and I received an empty box instead of a pull up bar, £40 for an empty box! 

• Like 2

Battle Log: Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Fox of War// Challenge 1 (Do Over) // Respawn Log: Continue [Y]/[N]

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” 

Thief of Time

oh do pick YES

admittedly the pandemic has made EVERYTHING hard; but your health is to important to be lost, miscarried, or procrastinated.

anyways if I read you right; all system are go, no?   you better equipped now that I am - so LIFT off gurl

OIP.jpg

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

18 hours ago, MsAllegraFox said:

(1) This is the annoying thing about habits, I have to generate enough motivation to start the habits so once they've built up I can just go on auto-pilot and I don't have to rely on any of that pesky motivation, then when something interferes with the habits I've got to start the whole process again, and trying to find motivation to start healthy new habits in a pandemic is a really difficult thing to do. 

I hear you! Setting baselines and habits for auto pilot take effort! I'm trying to build habits too! How are you fitting your habits in?

Also that's terrible! I hope your pull up bar thief gets his karma!

• Like 2

//Min :: Battle Log 2020 :: Wings of Freedom 1, 2, 3 (current challenge)

6 hours ago, TGP said:

oh do pick YES

admittedly the pandemic has made EVERYTHING hard; but your health is to important to be lost, miscarried, or procrastinated.

anyways if I read you right; all system are go, no?   you better equipped now that I am - so LIFT off gurl

OIP.jpg

its-a-yes-from-me.jpg

Battle Log: Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Fox of War// Challenge 1 (Do Over) // Respawn Log: Continue [Y]/[N]

“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.” 

Thief of Time

2 hours ago, //Min said:

I hear you! Setting baselines and habits for auto pilot take effort! I'm trying to build habits too! How are you fitting your habits in?

Also that's terrible! I hope your pull up bar thief gets his karma!

At the moment I'm giving myself the rule that the bodyweight work out routine can be completed in little segments throughout the day (a couple of pull ups here, a couple of squats there) just to so I can trick myself into starting by negating the excuse of "I don't have time for that". With my stretch routine by tying it to a 20 minute episode of The Office I'm undermining my tendency to procrastinate when it comes to stretching- like as much as I tell myself I don't have time for it, I always seem to fit an episode of The Office in my schedule when I'm craving some comfort TV (if that makes sense?).

Thank you! I did get a refund, but the whole situation felt extra galling just because it was an empty box!

• Like 2

Thief of Time

That's such a great idea to do it while watching something! I'm having the same trouble with foam rolling/self-massage as I tend to want to do it just before I sleep, but there is this mental wall and I keep coming up with excuses not to. I'm going to have to find something to watch along with! 

And I'm glad you got your refund! Yea, the expectations of waiting cannot be recovered XD

• Like 2

//Min :: Battle Log 2020 :: Wings of Freedom 1, 2, 3 (current challenge)

6 hours ago, MsAllegraFox said:

I always seem to fit an episode of The Office in my schedule when I'm craving some comfort TV (if that makes sense?).

Makes a lot of sense! Love it.

Someone on NF had this in their signature: replace I don't have time with "it's not a priority", see how that feels. I have been trying to apply that and it kinda helps :)

A pole? To dance on? I am always intrigued by the idea of having one at home (even though I haven't ever tried a lesson either)

Are you getting a no-screw pull up bar? I have one with screws from my old place but I have not been able to bring myself to drill my new door frame bc I didn't use the bar much when I had. Though I wasn't consistent with working out back then either :)

PS - Hi! Good luck with the respawn! Press [Y], press [Y]!! It looks like you will have a lot of fun! (Or in any case I would enjoy reading about your journey, )

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

Makes a lot of sense! Love it.

Someone on NF had this in their signature: replace I don't have time with "it's not a priority", see how that feels. I have been trying to apply that and it kinda helps :)

A pole? To dance on? I am always intrigued by the idea of having one at home (even though I haven't ever tried a lesson either)

Are you getting a no-screw pull up bar? I have one with screws from my old place but I have not been able to bring myself to drill my new door frame bc I didn't use the bar much when I had. Though I wasn't consistent with working out back then either :)

PS - Hi! Good luck with the respawn! Press [Y], press [Y]!! It looks like you will have a lot of fun! (Or in any case I would enjoy reading about your journey, )

I think I read about using 'not a priority' somewhere, it's really useful to find thought patterns to counteract the ones that tell you that eating cake for every meal is a fool proof method for a longer life 😆 

There's kind of a spectrum in the pole world between the 'dance' side and the 'fitness/gymnastics' side (I say spectrum because people frequently vary between the two), I lean more to fitness/gymnastic side and would normally do a couple of hours of training a night at the studio, but with everything being shut down having no access to the studio, a home pole would be a god send. I would wholeheartedly recommend getting into it - it has done wonders for my fitness, but I would recommend going to a class when lockdown is over or maybe even contacting a teacher for a Skype lesson, moves that you see online can look deceptively simple and having someone experienced to guide you can be a blessing. 

I actually ordered and received a new pull up bar! It was a no screw bar - there were no issues with installing it, I've managed to do a pull ups with no issues,  I've done a couple of hangs from it without it moving (though I make sure to check it before doing anything too adventurous!)

Thank you! 😄 I have taken plunge and gone ahead and set up a new challenge!      

• Like 2

Thief of Time

On 5/10/2020 at 1:09 AM, MsAllegraFox said:

At the moment I'm giving myself the rule that the bodyweight work out routine can be completed in little segments throughout the day (a couple of pull ups here, a couple of squats there)...

I can vouch for the efficiency and power of that idea.

recently I've been training to do a "Murphy" (2 mile sprint; 100 pullups, 200 pushups, and 300 body weight squats) on memorial day.

a few weeks ago I took those body weight exercises and did a murphy during a whole day.

I did that by breaking it down to 7 pullups 14 pushups and 28 body weight squats every hour for about 12 hours.  it worked wonderfully!  I feel like that has been a highlight of my training- and If I do the whole murphy this May 25th... part of my success will be training like that.

Also regarding a BAR there are a lot of other fun ideas I've been thinking about doing on mine.  for example I've already done a Back Lever.  you should google around with bar exercises.  there are a lot of fun ideas once your strong enough to do a  Pull up !

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....