• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MsAllegraFox

MsAllegraFox Challenge 1 (Do-Over)

So after the struggles with the last challenge, I had a choice to make:

Crash Bandicoot 2: Game Over on Make a GIF  

I'm not one to fall down for very long, so consider this me restarting the level. 

Same general quests as last time, albeit with a little more specificity and a little bit more incentives added in. 

Quest 1: Track calories

The guiding principle in my office is 'what you can't measure, you can't manage' (1);  and without having that raw data of what I'm actually snacking on during this weird time I'm not going to be able to effectively manage any changes to my diet. Plus it's an easy habit to start off with and it has the added benefit of having a psychological component, which will help me reduce my intake (2)

Quest 2: Bodyweight 

It's taken some time to get all the pieces together, but I finally have the makings of a decent set up to train callisthenics. After setting up my pull up bar I found out that I can actually do a pull up(!) , but trying to do a dip? Forget about it! It's absolutely non-existent! To kick off week one, I'm going to follow this simple routine:

• Vertical pull: 10 pull ups 
  • Vertical push: 10 dip negatives
  • Horizontal pull (front): 10 incline rows
  • Horizontal pull (back): 10 second L-hang 
  • Horizontal push: 10 incline push ups
  • Core: 10 reverse hyperextension tucks
  • Legs: 10 split squats

For the first week at least I'm giving myself from the minute I wake up until I go to bed to complete these, just easing myself back into it.

Quest 3: Stretching (and watch 35 episodes of The Office)

We are going to go about this a slightly different way. Starting the 10th I am going to put on an episode of The Office and stretch every day, rotating through back stretches, middle splits/pancake and front split stretches (see below in spoiler).

Spoiler

Day 1 (Back):

• Thoracic twist
  • Half straddle twists
  • Spinal extension
  • Plank to Wild Thing
  • Exaggerated Plank to Downward Dog
  • Puppy Pose (hold-grab knees-knees up) 

Day 2 (Middle): 

• Box lunge
  • Box internal rotation 
  • Box external rotation
  • Raised butterflies
  • Malasana to cossack
  • Wide downward dog to cossack 
  • Cossack slides
  • Stirring the cauldron
  • Pancake hold
  • Cobra to straddle

Day 3 (Front):

• Nerve flossing
  • Supine heels to ceiling
  • Supine leg raises
  • Supine half leg raises
  • Quad extension 
  • Box lunge
  • Box hamstring
  • Wall split
  • Box split

By tying my stretching to watching a TV program I'm adding a bit of an incentive for myself, an inbuilt reward system to get the wheels going.

Quest 4: Read 350 pages  

Simple! 10 pages of a book, any book, a day for the length of this challenge.

Wish me luck!

Here We Go Again GIFs | Tenor

(1) That's the official principle, the unofficial principle is 'take the glam with a silo's worth of salt' 

(2) "I've eaten 3,682 calories yesterday!? Well, maybe I don't have to have the rest of this packet of biscuits

• Like 8

I'm impressed you can do pull ups! My arms are jelly, but I am working on doing push up progressions this challenge. Wishing you luck and cheering you on! You got this!!!

Also is your icon from Lore Olympus? I love that comic!!

• Like 4

Oh thank you! 😊 Good luck on your push up progressions! That's a really  good challenge goal I've heard they will do amazing things for your arms, shoulders and chest muscles - I'm a bit like you and can't do a push up on the ground at all, I think the pull ups came a little easier because I did a variety of Aerial type sports for two years before the virus hit, and you're constantly training to pull your weight up.  

1 hour ago, //Min said:

Also is your icon from Lore Olympus? I love that comic!!

Yes it is! 😄 It's so good! The the art amazing and I absolutely adore the characters!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Thank you! I can't do any push up on the ground either, like AT ALL. So hopefully at the end of the challenge, at least I'll be able to do one? 100% improvement and all that... What aerial sport did you do? I think aerial hoops look so graceful and maybe I'll learn it one day! 

And yes! The art is gorgeous and characters are so super loveable!! I can't wait for them to succeed in getting together! XD

• Like 2

2 hours ago, //Min said:

Thank you! I can't do any push up on the ground either, like AT ALL. So hopefully at the end of the challenge, at least I'll be able to do one? 100% improvement and all that... What aerial sport did you do? I think aerial hoops look so graceful and maybe I'll learn it one day! 

And yes! The art is gorgeous and characters are so super loveable!! I can't wait for them to succeed in getting together! XD

Starting from the wall is a really good idea - I'm sure you'll smash your goals! 😄

Much to the chagrin of my instructors I'm trying to get experience in all of them (I say chagrin, they are utterly supportive of my efforts, but they do worry about me overtraining 😆) My main three are aerial Hoop, pole and aerial sling and you're right - you can get a lovely flow going on aerial hoop that looks so graceful and elegant - I would 100% recommend that you try a class when you get a chance!

It's the best slow burn kind of story out there, I'm not even mad that it's taking them so long to get together! 

• Like 3

So I know day one is today, but I jumped straight into it yesterday to test it out! 

I clocked in at 1,935kcal, which is very impressive considering a co-worker ordered take out and gifted me with a waffle covered with white chocolate sauce (furloughed from first job, but second job is classed as essential work). I was surprised at how sated I felt all day, normally weekend work means that I'm grazing all day, but I'll take a victory where I can! I've inputted this into my fancy-dancy Google Sheets spreadsheet, so I can keep abreast of my progress (I've also been very lazy efficient and prefilled the rest of the cells with the appropriate formulas). 

image.png.3d2273cf16184a580f5d0ce97c154be5.png

After work had finished I got back and started on the bodweight exercises and did what could loosely be described as a "circuit": a couple of pull ups, followed by a couple of dips, followed by a couple of incline rows and incline push ups and rotating until all of those were done, I do have a sneaking suspicion that I'm perhaps swinging too much in my pull ups either because I'm behind the bar too much or I'm not engaging my core enough and then finished with an L-sit hang on the pull up bar and I noticed that due to my Damned Hamstrings it was more of a sad 'L' shape.

After those were out of the way, I scrambled around to find a suitable surface to try the reverse hyperextension tucks. I had no idea what reverse hyperextensions tucks were until the other day when I was looking for an alternative to skin the cats (1) and I found this video!

Honestly, it was an absolute nightmare trying to find something that could double as a bench (pro tip: beds are too squishy/chairs are too low/doing it on the arm of the sofa or on the table only concerns the animals who start barking in frentic hopes that you stop this nonsense immediately) in the end I weighted down a tall storage box and got quite a bit of success! I finished with split squats, which were meh - I'm not sure if I should add weights? (2)

Then came stretching with The Office, I purposely started with S2E1 'The Dundies' because I love that episode and I hate stretching my back so that I hoped it would counteract each other, which it kind of did. All was going well until I realised I had been a bit too optimistic with my routine and discovered I didn't have enough space for some of the stretches in the routine, so I improvised on the fly with some camel swings and some wheel prep until I felt confident enough to try to get into my full wheel, which I did! I took a picture and honestly, it's more of a table than a wheel, but! it's there and it's something that I can work on!

I finished the day with 13 pages from Master and Margarita, which was not what I was expecting at all - I was led to believe that this book was set in Spain, not Russia under Stalinist rule, I mean it's good! I am enjoying the book, it's just a little jarring.     

___

(1) I've got the equipment to try them, I'm just not too confident yet on my set up to start inverting  

(2) In the absence of actual weights, I have found a stash of unused paint tins that could be generously described as an alternative to kettle bells if they went nowhere near above my shoulders 

• Like 7

Awesome goals! Simple but ambitious. I had a similar experience with the reverse hypers, not having anything like a bench is a pain, glad you figured something out!

• Like 2

Here! 

LOL I'm also in the camp that push-ups are way harder than pull-ups. People get so confused when I say that haha. 😄

Have to ask - what's stirring the cauldron, besides a great name for a stretch? 

I read in your intro thread that your pole didn't arrive, that is SO very sad. Will you be able to get a replacement or is it a lost cause?

• Like 3

I'm glad that it's not just me who finds push ups a nightmare! 😆

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Have to ask - what's stirring the cauldron, besides a great name for a stretch? 

It's an "easier" way to get into a pancake (I use quotation marks, because I really struggle trying to get into a pancake all ways, but this way led to me actually getting my forearms to the ground)

Start in a seated straddle with pointed toes, hands on waist and imagine everything from the waist up is the handle of a spoon - start moving in small circles which gradually get bigger and bigger as you get lower and lower to the ground (at no point can you touch the ground with your hands - all control comes from your core) - you can then go straight into a pancake hold.

It's kind of a good news/bad news situation- can't get a replacement from that supplier, but I can get a refund! So I've found another place that I can get a pole and fingers crossed it will get here this time! 😊

• Like 3

Ah I see. It's a really nice way of getting into pancakes, I find it particularly useful in warm ups when my body needs more coaxing.

Fingers crossed!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grendella said:

wow those bodyweight reverse hyperss are AAMAZZINNG! gotta adds those in.  are you working towards doing a split or?

Thank you! They are good and I really recommend them 😊 I am! Both the middle split and the front split

• Like 1

Yesterday I was awoken at 4:30am (1), like bolt up hair in a bun-wide awake and I realised I had a couple of hours before work starts, so I jumped on the pull up bar and completed my bodyweight routine. Turns out I was standing too far back from the pull up bar, so my swinging has stopped! However, I have also noted that I am going into a tuck and that isn't good form. Next time - *no tucking*.

Also! I've been inspired by @PaulG and his grading of his reps -I have set up a colour chart on my spreadsheet so I can accurately progress my routine (I'll post a pic when I am not on my mobile). I also tried to do reverse hyperextension pikes and to my surprise I realised that I could do them! 

Calorie count clocked in at 2,477kcal - I was very much grazing all day at work, I can add a lot of veggie snacks next week so if I'm going to graze, it's going to be all low calorie stuff.

Stretching with The Office S2E2 and middle splits. Not my favourite episode, definitely not enough to distract me from my crampy hips; I had to add more exercises and a middle split hold and it was sore and I was unable to put my elbows down. I also noticed that my stag leg kick ups and I found my right abductor was significantly stronger and I can't think why it would be.

I'm now 20/350 pages - still enjoying the book, I think it's one of these books that I won't feel confident enough to comment on until I have finished it.
___

(1) Family member A smokes, which is their decision, but they refuse to smoke outside despite my repeated requests for them to do so - so when they start smoking at 4am it wakes me up

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 2

Yesterday was pretty much a doss day, nothing much done aside from reading and counting my calories (clocked in at a respectable 2,086kcal). I managed to keep myself occupied enough with other things that I didn't feel the need to graze all day, bonus points: I did manage to resist the pull of a delicious clotted cream Victoria sponge *and* I decided to test if I had the range of motion to get into a camel position and I do! 😄

• Like 4

On 5/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, MsAllegraFox said:

Yesterday I was awoken at 4:30am (1), like bolt up hair in a bun-wide awake and I realised I had a couple of hours before work starts, so I jumped on the pull up bar and completed my bodyweight routine.

Hardcore!

Congrats on camel pose!

On 5/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, MsAllegraFox said:

I decided to test if I had the range of motion to get into a camel position and I do! 😄

🐪 Congratulations from these camels! 🐫
(and me)

On 5/11/2020 at 4:47 AM, MsAllegraFox said:

I realised I had a couple of hours before work starts, so I jumped on the pull up bar and completed my bodyweight routine.

Nice work on the bodyweight routine so far.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:54 PM, MsAllegraFox said:

I decided to test if I had the range of motion to get into a camel position and I do! 😄

WHOOHOOO!!!!!! That's awesome!!!