• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hi, fellow Druids,

I am fearless, a long time German member (f.52)who has missed a lot at NF during the last years. I used to be a Scout (running and hiking) and have been heavily into CrossFit for some years. After knee surgery I have been sedentary for 2 years. Result: a slipped disc in my lower back, muscular dysbalance and a lot of pain since the beginning of lockdown in march.

I choose the Druids for this challenge because I want to do a mix of yoga, physical therapy exercises and meditation as well. Today at my PT I presented her my "routine" which is about 30 minutes long. Its mostly core stuff to heal faster.

2018 and 2019 I did Keto successfully and cooked all meals for myself. Then I needed a break and had all the bread and fruit :) Now its time to get back to my way of eating. It helps me to lose weight ( still need to crush about 30 pounds.) and also helps me a lot with mental health issues ( I am clearer and more alert on keto ).

my life goal is to be able to write again. I have published a book in 2018 about my way out of mental health hell into the mostly happy person I am now. Its part autobiographic, part self help. After a lot of feedback I was asked to write another book describing the technics that helped me get out of the hellhole. Like what do you do when you are in bed, have not showered in days, find yourself depressed and motionless... how do you get back into a well lived life. 

I have started research ( science and my diaries)  but have my doubts if its a good project.. nevertheless I want to get back into creating regularly.

clarification: I am a writer and Cello teacher, so I always work from home and I have a lot of free time because I retired early and only work for 20 hours/week. Only responsibility is my dog ( who plays in my garden mostly since I've been injured.)

FEARLESS IS BEATING THE PAIN DRAGON ...THE QUEST...

Everyday:

• 5 Minutes of breathing/meditation as part of my morning routine
  • a short walk with my puppy as warm up
  • 30 Minutes of PT/Stretching/Yoga
  • Food Prep so I have 2-3 keto meals every day. ( I can have greek or Turkish food from takeout 2 times during the challenge. ( only meat and veggies)
  • sit at desk for 30 Minutes a day and see if you can get your groove back. I don't have to write but am not allowed any other activity during this half hour...

Thanks for reading, guys! Ive read all of your first posts and look forward to getting sh*t done during this challenge! ❤️

IMG-20190817-WA0031.jpg

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 2

Amazing Fearless. I can see why the universe asked you to get me on board again. We are very in sync (fortunate or not no longer matters!).

Following, cheering, supporting!

Sunday/Day1

Didn't sleep yesterday night because I was in so much pain. Wanted to get stuff done today anyway as to get started with this challenge in a good way.

• Meal Prep: Done. hardboiled eggs/ meat and veggie pan
  • Meditation: Did 20 instead of 5 Minutes. Also had a zoom call with my buddhist teacher that was fun and enlightening .
  • walking the dog: Done - she loved it! 
  • writing: 10 Minutes of 30 spent on researching. meh..
  • PT: managed 5 of 30 minutes -  proud I moved while being in pain.

Off now to join the pup in the garden. Coffee is badly needed! 😴

Will check in with you before going to bed. Have a great Sunday peeps!!!

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

7 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

YESSSS! @Scalyfreak I started doing just that by losing my first weight for this challenge. Down from 108.8 to 107.5 kg through strict keto. now CONSISTENCY!  

Whoop! Whoop! 

Way to start off with a win! 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 7:16 AM, fearless 2.0 said:

PT: managed 5 of 30 minutes -  proud I moved while being in pain.

This is so awesome. I find pain to be such a stall for me. I try to move past it, but then my emotions take hold and off I go for a ride that can last days before I come back to self. Really glad you're putting it what time you can. Great effort.

• Like 1

image.png.070ba4330248dd1ca8de600e3e08c598.png

Today is a good day, people!

• Started my morning with watching my breath and chanting my mantra for 10 Mins.  Then coffee with a bit of cinnamon added.... great start!
  • late breakfast: baked feta and zucchini 
  • made a doctors appointment for better pain management with my slipped disc. Hoping to be in less pain soon. Going in on Thursday.
  • lunch was a little snack of cheese, salami, tomatoes and cucumber while browsing NF

• did some household chores and went shopping with the dog... she is the true victim here as I can hardly move faster than a turtle... she's taking up running zoomies in the garden... 

• writing sucked, but I sat down for 15 minutes to note some good ideas... that's progress!

• fun: tomorrow I will be interviewed by a small health magazine from Hamburg about my mental health story. Got the call today and am looking forward to tomorrow!
  •  read in the forum and remembered: don't ask what the group can do for you... its actually more fun to support others!
  • dinner will be prepped food ( szegediner gulasch, a pork and sauerkraut meal from Hungaria that's easy to make.)

See you tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Just now, Terinatum said:

This is so awesome. I find pain to be such a stall for me. I try to move past it, but then my emotions take hold and off I go for a ride that can last days before I come back to self. Really glad you're putting it what time you can. Great effort.

i bawl too.... :) 

but today was a good day. Right now Im lying down and feeling no pain for a while!!! ❤️

Good to do this together! 

• That's Metal 1

2 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

writing sucked, but I sat down for 15 minutes to note some good ideas... that's progress!

Awesome!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:
  • Started my morning with watching my breath and chanting my mantra for 10 Mins.  Then coffee with a bit of cinnamon added.... great start!

Whoa there. How do you make this happen? Do you add the cinnamon while brewing, or sprinkle it on top after pouring the coffee?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Whoa there. How do you make this happen? Do you add the cinnamon while brewing, or sprinkle it on top after pouring the coffee?

i sprinkle it across when finished. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

read in the forum and remembered: don't ask what the group can do for you... its actually more fun to support others!

It sure is fun, though not expected :) A lot of the support I get out here is simply by being "surrounded" by people that are taking active (SMART or not :D ) steps towards self-improvement. Don't really have that IRL. And 100% not in the format NF offers. 

Thanks for the coffee idea!! I liked the sound of that too. Good job on meditating, tasty meals, and the writing progress. Progress=progress. :)  Hope the magazine does your story justice!

• Like 1

thanks @analoggirl! I know that at NF people don't expect me to be a certain way... but I remember being worried that I was getting enough out of it --- and that's kinda silly. I have made great friends over here and wouldn't have begun running without the NF community. This forum is gold! :)image.png.169c872881004dc6c0a27d065f79ec40.png

• Like 2

Some changes need to be made to my goals. My pain has gotten significantly worse while moving and doing exercises.I hardly sleep. So I called my doc and will go in on Thursday. Till then im supposed to keep still and warm. My Cello Student today helped me with shopping ( huge sack of dog food, painkillers, warm water bottle to heat my back with) and I just stayed put. Learned some exercises from a slipped disc veteran to do while lying in bed with almost no significant movement. Did those yesterday and today, Will adjust the PT exercises /Yoga goal when I have been to the doc and we have discussed the MRT pictures.

Was motivated to do research for my book because I had an interview (via telephone) with a journalist today that proved to me, that my experience can be helpful to others. So I wrote for 30 minutes without a problem. Meditation was fun too, because my meditation teacher just brought out a new guided meditation. So after my first coffee this morning I did mindful breathing for 10 Minutes. 

Foodprep was minimal. Just made hard boiled eggs again. Breakfast: 2 hardboiled eggs, coffee. Lunch: feta with zucchini baked in the oven. Dinner: snack with cheese, salami, pickles and tomatoes. Will need to cook again properly tomorrow. 

Mentally Im feeling very good and Im confident to get the pain under control soon. Off to see what you're up to..... :)

giphy.gif

• That's Metal 2

34 minutes ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Mentally Im feeling very good and Im confident to get the pain under control soon. Off to see what you're up to..... :)

I'm glad to hear this, though it sucks that your pain became worse.

Where do you get your meditations from? I'm always on the lookout for more in that area.

10 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I'm glad to hear this, though it sucks that your pain became worse.

Where do you get your meditations from? I'm always on the lookout for more in that area.

I use "insight timer" free version and experimented most with the guided meditations from Tara Brach. :)

1 minute ago, fearless 2.0 said:

I use "insight timer" free version and experimented most with the guided meditations from Tara Brach. :)

Well so do I, so that doesn't help me at all 😛

Most of my bookmarked meditations are from Bethany Auriel-Hagan, Andy Hobson, and Lisa Abramson. I will look up Tara Brach. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

Was motivated to do research for my book because I had an interview (via telephone) with a journalist today that proved to me, that my experience can be helpful to others.

YES  YES  YES

P.S. Love Kermit!!

• Like 2

"must rest" day today. Pain so bad I can just exist with my heat pad. Exactly 24 hours till I see the doc. Didn't do anything except doing a short walk with the dog. Tomorrow I will get a proper Pain medication and hope to dive back into the challenge on Friday when the pain is bearable again. Am mentally in good spirits, just can't move and concentrate at all.

See you tomorrow!

giphy.gif

Thank you for your kind reactions, people.

Diagnosis: slipped disc 11mm protruded. Spinal canal and nerves on both sides are disturbed. right leg is partially paralyzed. Its not looking that good. My doc understood my wish not be be operated and informed me that I have the risk of partly paralyzed leg not returning to normal. Tomorrow I start Infusions with cortisones and I can take the opiate painkillers tonight. No more wine though.... :) 

Mentally I am good. Will just rest and keep my spirits up. Can still eat well and maybe even write. Only moving a lot is out. Will do the subtle PT stuff and get massages instead of "sporty" PT. 

Will be back tomorrow and read around again. For today I am finished..

;)

giphy.gif