DoubleTrouble tests the waters

My knee is feeling better so I might try to ease back into flips this challenge. Or not. I'll see how it goes.

Main quests

Leg extension: get to 6 plates on the weight machine (currently can do 5)

Running: run outdoors for 30 min every 3rd day

Wall handstand pushups: get to 3 (currently can do 2)

Wall bridge walks: do 1 (currently keep putting it off)

Side quests

- Try new moves! Flips are great and all, but there is so much more stuff out there

- Maybe start making GIFs of moves that I see online that I want to try

• Like 1
On 5/10/2020 at 6:16 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Wall handstand pushups:

Yay, another person working on this elusive skill.  Welcome to the club :)  

back flips are out for me until the trampoline park reopens.  I hope you can make some good progress this challenge (knee allowing)

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 5/9/2020 at 6:16 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

O.o how heavy plates are we talking here, cause dang, dude. 

Very impressive. 

Following for the flippy and not-flippy awesomeness. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

12 hours ago, Manarelle said:

O.o how heavy plates are we talking here

I'm not sure so I had to look online. I couldn't find my machine but here's a chart from the manual of a very similar one.

0001.thumb.jpg.f9ec68cfdc1288b6ec73dc92789fe27d.jpg

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yay, another person working on this elusive skill.  Welcome to the club :)  

Huzzah!

• Like 1

I love how in progression 5, it looks like he's holding his breath 'cause good lord do I do that all the time when I'm progressing in things. Wish I didn't, 'cause breathing is pretty vital and all that, but I can't help myself. 

Is this for parkour-y things, or do you also breakdance?

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I love how in progression 5, it looks like he's holding his breath 'cause good lord do I do that all the time when I'm progressing in things. Wish I didn't, 'cause breathing is pretty vital and all that, but I can't help myself. 

Is this for parkour-y things, or do you also breakdance?

I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing that out. I guess holding his breath makes it easier to contract his core, but I can't see him doing it for very long.

The idea is to document new/interesting movements for use in parkour lines later. I don't breakdance but I have been at a few breakdance sessions just for fun.

• Like 1
On 5/13/2020 at 7:51 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

This move is called tuck flare.

Cool, I think I will try this one out later because progression one certainly looks doable.

• Like 1

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Cool, I think I will try this one out later because progression one certainly looks doable.

It was harder than I thought it would be. I kept getting stuck halfway because I didn't have enough momentum to go back. I tried prog 1 and 2.

-------

I ran on Tuesday, and got to 3 wall HSPU. I'll go for 4 next. I worked a bit towards wall bridge walk, but didn't do the full thing yet.

More GIFs!

Spoiler

1061764655_Wallcartwheel-min.gif.be8ba7d950b6080e9c761a5042b87752.gif

1489321043_Wallthreadtheneedle-min.gif.84b27aa38941990e0356b0d06d3f6983.gif

• Like 2

Main quests

Running: run outdoors for 30 min every 3rd day

Wall bridge walks: do 1 (currently keep putting it off)

Side quests

- Try new moves! Flips are great and all, but there is so much more stuff out there

- Maybe start making GIFs of moves that I see online that I want to try

This all sounds very badass, not gonna lie.

10 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

I worked a bit towards wall bridge walk, but didn't do the full thing yet.

Is this walking down the wall to a bridge? Up the wall from a bridge? Or both?

• Like 1
On 5/14/2020 at 6:53 PM, juliebarkley said:

Is this walking down the wall to a bridge? Up the wall from a bridge? Or both?

Both

----

I was watching a video and it made me question how much effort I was putting into my workouts, so I tried 6 plates on the leg extension, then 7, then 8, then 9. It turns out I can already do 9. Maybe I'm underestimating wall handstand pushups too, I need to check those as well.

Leg extension: get to 6 plates on the weight machine (currently can do 5) - COMPLETE!

Another GIF to celebrate!

Spoiler

572597892_Frontswingcartwheel.gif.bdc83c9cb86737610b515499ce606f81.gif

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1
On 5/16/2020 at 9:48 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

It turns out I can already do 9

That's awesome, great job hacking your brain to unleash all that hidden potential!

I tried out that tuck flair thing the other day and it is certainly harder than it looks.  I couldn't keep my momentum going to complete a full turn, even at progression 1

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

On 5/17/2020 at 12:27 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I tried out that tuck flair thing the other day and it is certainly harder than it looks.  I couldn't keep my momentum going to complete a full turn, even at progression 1

Clearly, you haven't tried greasing the floor, silly. :D In all seriousness, though, it looks like it takes a lot of shoulder, arm, and core strength. 

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2020 at 12:27 AM, WhiteGhost said:

That's awesome, great job hacking your brain to unleash all that hidden potential!

I think I just made a mistake while setting the goal. I guess I was thinking I should ease into each plate because I wasn't sure if my knee would be ok.

For the tuck flair, I found that it helped if I pulled my legs around in a circle when bringing them forward.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:26 AM, Manarelle said:

Clearly, you haven't tried greasing the floor, silly. :D In all seriousness, though, it looks like it takes a lot of shoulder, arm, and core strength. 

Socks help too! On tiles

------

Running is going well, I think Tuesdays and Fridays will work better instead of every 3rd day.

I could be doing more for wall HSPU and wall bridge walks.

I tried wall cartwheels and made a short edit. Threw in some music to replace the wind noise and swearing (landed too hard on my hands in the 2nd clip)

• Like 3
On 5/22/2020 at 4:32 PM, Manarelle said:

Looking good! How are things where you are? Is it likely you'll get hassled for being out and practicing this stuff? 

I don't think anyone will hassle me, there are people outside but people mostly keep away from each other.

-----

Running is going well. I had another outdoor parkour session and tried some moves that I haven't done in a while. I also tried the front swing cartwheel but didn't get anywhere because my hand placement was wrong. The first move in the video is called machine.

Spoiler

machine-min.gif.371a07dd43202f5badf0ba35a9577cc4.gif

• Like 2

Machine looks very doable.  I gave it a try it is definitely easier than the tuck flair thing.

Your press to HS is looking good!

Level 2 Ninja

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Seconded. And I am slightly jealous of your kip-up from the ground. That's one of the things I learned the progression for in parkour class, but haven't had anywhere to practice it. Glad you're getting space and time to practice!

On 5/26/2020 at 11:54 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Machine looks very doable.  I gave it a try it is definitely easier than the tuck flair thing.

Its much easier. The guy in the video said it can be used as a transition move in a tricking combo

Thanks!

On 5/27/2020 at 9:03 AM, Manarelle said:

Seconded. And I am slightly jealous of your kip-up from the ground. That's one of the things I learned the progression for in parkour class, but haven't had anywhere to practice it. Glad you're getting space and time to practice!

I had to force that kip up, almost didn't make it...

----

Another set of gifs, another session. I only tried the forward bar spin and sausage flip.

Spoiler

544679513_barspinback-min.gif.7618c96bcefa042157b1745a2f2b7451.gif

370776706_barspinforward-min.gif.15f02cddd1a9635a18bc3696eafb39a3.gif

466421825_reversebarspin.gif.9f892cf314f377441b72533c7a2a5e3e.gif

1272253701_sausageflip-min.gif.391703282ef2703618cd32f0361ee61a.gif

switchblade-min.gif.25a735ca3b45f82ccce6ff100348094f.gif

• Like 1