• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

juliebarkley

Juliebarkley makes time

11 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I ended up having a long nap, then found out I had to go to bed early to an early morning black market hair appointment the next day (my 70-year old mother decided enough was enough and she was comfortable with the risk, and I joined in. My cousin is a hairdresser, and makes house calls. We've always done it that way, so it's always been a bit cash under the table grey market. Her salon is opening back up on Tuesday, but she's not sure if it'll be worth it due to the significant additional cost for PPE and disposable supplies.).

I miss hair appointments... the rootage is out of control. :( 

6 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

I miss hair appointments... the rootage is out of control. :( 

Luckily all I need is a trim. I would never be able to keep up with maintaining a dyed hair. Too much work. It's the same reason I don't wear makeup.

2 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

Luckily all I need is a trim. I would never be able to keep up with maintaining a dyed hair. Too much work. It's the same reason I don't wear makeup.

I don't see either one as work, though I can appreciate the cost savings of not paying a professional to color my hair. That said, the amount of gray that has been revealed by letting my roots grow out several inches has taken me completely off guard. :D 

2 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

That said, the amount of gray that has been revealed by letting my roots grow out several inches has taken me completely off guard.

My hair is light enough that the grey not super obvious, but it's also all right up front. Then again, in normal times my hair is normally covered up when I go out and no one need ever know.

Once again, no handstands happened today. I got all my other habits done though, hurray! VO work was only one hour, but it was punishing and I fought the procrastination monster, so I'll take it. I got the audition I've been putting off recorded, but I'll not be editing it tonight. I could feel myself starting to pass out from the heat and humidity in Blanketland a couple of times towards the end of the recording and I had to stop several times to get my breath and catch myself so I could get it done. My lingering dehydration didn't help either, I'm sure. Now I just need to recover. It is not actually hot outside right now, but it is still warm inside, and the humidity is a whopping 96%. I got caught in a couple minutes of rain during my walk, and my hair and clothes were still damp five hours later. My son is beating the heat by taking off all his clothes, and I must say I'm tempted to join him. For sure I will be eating some ice cream.

I socialized today with a lengthy chat with a work colleague, then another lengthy chat in French with @starsapart. That was a lot of socializing for me for one day, but it was also nice to just relax and chat about random stuff. And maybe my French will get less rusty, too. :)

Now for Harry Potter and mint chocolate chip ice cream.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I could feel myself starting to pass out from the heat and humidity in Blanketland a couple of times towards the end of the recording and I had to stop several times to get my breath and catch myself so I could get it done. My lingering dehydration didn't help either, I'm sure.

This sounds very unpleasant! I hope the sauna climate in your studio doesn't become a normal everyday occurrence.

7 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Now for Harry Potter and mint chocolate chip ice cream.

My first read through of that had me wondering what flavor Harry Potter ice cream was 😜 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

This sounds very unpleasant! I hope the sauna climate in your studio doesn't become a normal everyday occurrence.

They do get hot - it's a known thing in most home studios that aren't set up in a big room. I need to ensure I take breaks more often to air out myself and the space, but I think it was largely the killer humidity yesterday.

1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

My first read through of that had me wondering what flavor Harry Potter ice cream was 😜 

Pretend I topped it with Peppermint Toads. :)

• Like 1

Just stopped in the middle of editing my audition file to update my challenge, as I would really like to get my small repair item, paper item, and chapter of Harry Potter read before bed tonight. I have done about an hour and a half of editing. Combine that with some tweaking I did to my recording space (taller support, sturdier attachment) and a couple of videos that I watched about some editing crap that ended up not being helpful, I'm pretty sure I went over two hours today. :)

Once again didn't do handstands. This is really getting to be a problem. Really the problem is that there is no good spot to do things more adventurous than crow indoors. Oh crap, today was supposed to be exercise day too, darn it. I remembered then forgot within ten minutes it seems. :( I really should also check my initial challenge post for any one-off items that I meant to get done, because other than books I have forgotten them entirely.

• Like 3

I HAVE FINISHED ALL THE THINGS! I am quite excited that today, I got every habit done. All of them. Completely. Even a full 2 hours of VO (if you don't count listening to My Lovely Horse from Father Ted to get it out of my head).

Finished up and sent the audition file in to the author. Its so delayed that she may have already cast it, but whatever. It's practice. But remind me never to edit this way again. It took far too long. And I didn't have time to get recording the book I already have contracted. Blah. Tomorrow.

I'm toying with the idea of starting a play-by-post D&D game in Esperanto. It's a nerdy enough community that it should be easy to find players (at least from the Americas and Western Europe - not sure if D&D is well known in Eastern Europe or East Asia, where there also are a lot of speakers). It's a bit daunting though - like, if they want to create a character themselves, could I walk them through it if they're a newbie? Plus all the tech backend stuff. And the fact that I'm already playing in two games. I should probably hold back on jumping into this but was I googling vocabulary today? Yes, yes I was.

Today I learned something new and interesting about the terms and labels used by and for different racial/ethnic groups and how they think about them. I'll share it, but under a spoiler because it's a little long, rambly, irrelevant to my challenge, and was taking over my update. I just thought it was cool and worth sharing because it let me think about something from a different perspective.

Spoiler

There was an article in the local paper explaining that the term "people of colour" is not the way that Canadian non-white communities prefer to be addressed. They prefer "non-white" if being addressed collectively, a simple colour descriptor (black, brown) if one is talking about skin tone, or the name of the community if talking about an individual group. The reasons given were fourfold:

• white is a colour too, so "people of colour" is meaningless;
  • it lumps all of our highly diverse non-white people into one group as if they are all the same;
  • it is too similar to "coloured", which has a negative history; and
  • it's an American term being imposed upon them, and not the one Canadians and community members have chosen for themselves.

This discovery (and my surprise when learning it) reminds me of the time when I learned that American Indian people in general do not like the term "Native American", they prefer "American Indian". I had heard, or assumed, the opposite. But no. They feel that "Native American" could be from anywhere in the Americas, but "American Indian" (or NDN) identifies them specifically. It is a label they have now embraced for themselves. They feel "Native American" is being imposed on them from the outside by well-meaning outsiders who are telling them what to be and think, rather than asking or listening. Thereby putting them into a position of inferiority and exclusion once again, even though said outsiders believe that they are helping. (There are, of course, exceptions - no community is a monolith)

BTW, the preferred term for Canada's native peoples is "indigenous", or "First Nations" if you are excluding the Inuit and Métis. ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

The thoughts you put in your spoiler are interesting and sparking more thoughts... I will have to reflect on these.

I found out that what I thought was a standalone article was actually a three-part series. If you're interested, they're here (third one comes out Monday).

Today was not super successful, really. I spent most of the day reading Harry Potter (and finished book 3). 🙄 I did do my morning walk and all of the habits that are tied to it (I even pushed on through the handstand practice when procrastination was encouraging me not to!). But the evening stuff never happened. Except exercise day - that did happen. I got no VO done despite really needing to work on it. I'm just not feeling it at all right now, I have to do some prep before I can do the recording, and by the time I do, the birds will be waking up so there's no point really. Tomorrow I must must start at closer to midnight. That'll give me a nice block of quiet time to get lots of recording done. For the little bit of time I have left tonight, I'll work on books instead. I should probably eat more too - haven't eaten too much the last couple of days.

I've been watching the milkweeds on my walks for a few days now, and they are almost ready to eat and I'm excited. Milkweed flower buds are my favourite wild edible. If you have them near you, seriously try them (it's fine if the flowers are open too, they just taste more floral). I just hope that the Rona has disrupted the road maintenance schedule enough that they won't get mowed down the day I was going to harvest them like last year!

Tomorrow is the last challenge day for me so I should probably think about what I'm doing next time. Chances are good it won't be markedly different from what I did this time. Time will tell when I get it done. I have a poor record for getting a post in at any point during zero week.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I even pushed on through the handstand practice when procrastination was encouraging me not to!

Nice! I'm guessing you found a spot to do handstands?

22 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

I have a poor record for getting a post in at any point during zero week.

I think this has been the most consistently updated challenge of yours so far :) 

On 6/14/2020 at 8:46 AM, DoubleTrouble said:

Nice! I'm guessing you found a spot to do handstands?

No, still just the tree outside. I did some crow pose indoors though.

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I think this has been the most consistently updated challenge of yours so far :) 

100%. There is no question.

On 6/3/2020 at 10:41 AM, Scalyfreak said:
On 6/3/2020 at 3:58 AM, juliebarkley said:

Finished the library book, so the next one up is It's Not About the Burqa: Muslim Women on Faith, Feminism, Sexuality, and Race, a collection of essays on the themes mentioned. I've only heard of one of the writers, so I'm hoping to hear a lot of different perspectives.

Oooh, this sounds super-interesting! Please let me know what you think of it.

I'm about halfway through now, so here are my thoughts, just for you:

Spoiler

It's a book of essays, so almost by definition a mixed bag. I do think that the editor did not do the greatest job. The tone of the essays varies too much - one felt almost like a journal article, while another is a lighthearted personal story. One was practically an ad for the author's book.

It is also not entirely clear who the intended audience is, Muslim women or the general public? Some essays fall one way, some the other, and some seem to switch oddly part way through. But that is a pretty minor quibble.

It is clear that the authors and intended audience are Britain-centric. I believe there are only two authors that don't live in Britain, and none that don't live in the West. About 75-80% of the authors are of South Asian heritage (ie. Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi). This is not a criticism as such, and each author's story is her own and not intended to represent anyone but herself, but still worth noting as a reader.

So far, my favourites are "Immodesty Is the Best Policy" by Coco Khan and "Life Was Easier Before I Was Woke" by Yassmin Mighal Abdel-Maghied, though I also nodded along to almost all of "Feminism Needs to Die" by Mariam Khan. The latter actually expands on some of the thoughts I expressed earlier about racial terminology, but in the context of Western feminism instead.

I like reading people's personal experiences most in this collection. The broader ideas I'm no stranger to. I think it could be a very interesting and enlightening read for a non-Muslim who has never been exposed to these perspectives so directly before, or who is not aware of some of the issues within the community, like treatment of mental health. It gives a valuable window into someone else's life and experiences. I have found it worth reading thus far.

I did not do ab practice outdoors, which I think may be the only thing I missed yesterday. I'll take it. I convinced my son to spot my handstands again as I am damn near vertical on this tree. He claims he was barely holding my ankles when I pushed off the tree, but I think we was providing a fair amount of stability. Regardless, I got my full weight on my hands twice for the first time ever. :)

I got in more than two hours of VO work, though only an hour was spent recording as I had to remind myself what the voices I was using, check the pacing, etc. Still, in that hour I got three chapters recorded, yay! I hope to finish the recording in the next couple or three days, then get on with the editing. And I might make a new voice for one of the minor characters, but we'll see how it sounds in the recording first.

I'll get a full challenge wrap-up posted later today. Right now I am happy to just hang out in the sun and read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, juliebarkley said:

I'm about halfway through now, so here are my thoughts, just for you:

Reveal hidden contents

It's a book of essays, so almost by definition a mixed bag. I do think that the editor did not do the greatest job. The tone of the essays varies too much - one felt almost like a journal article, while another is a lighthearted personal story. One was practically an ad for the author's book.

It is also not entirely clear who the intended audience is, Muslim women or the general public? Some essays fall one way, some the other, and some seem to switch oddly part way through. But that is a pretty minor quibble.

It is clear that the authors and intended audience are Britain-centric. I believe there are only two authors that don't live in Britain, and none that don't live in the West. About 75-80% of the authors are of South Asian heritage (ie. Indian, Pakistani, or Bangladeshi). This is not a criticism as such, and each author's story is her own and not intended to represent anyone but herself, but still worth noting as a reader.

So far, my favourites are "Immodesty Is the Best Policy" by Coco Khan and "Life Was Easier Before I Was Woke" by Yassmin Mighal Abdel-Maghied, though I also nodded along to almost all of "Feminism Needs to Die" by Mariam Khan. The latter actually expands on some of the thoughts I expressed earlier about racial terminology, but in the context of Western feminism instead.

I like reading people's personal experiences most in this collection. The broader ideas I'm no stranger to. I think it could be a very interesting and enlightening read for a non-Muslim who has never been exposed to these perspectives so directly before, or who is not aware of some of the issues within the community, like treatment of mental health. It gives a valuable window into someone else's life and experiences. I have found it worth reading thus far.

Thank you! I am definitely interested, so now that my local library is reopening for business I am going to go look for it there. :) 

Challenge summary:

STR: - Continue StartBodyweight program.

- Do some reps of @starsapart's "girly abs" on off days, weather permitting. Number of reps TBD - I don't know how hard they will be yet.

- Try out the insane ab video recommended by starsapart. Possibly die right after.

DEX: / - Continue with the camel pose, but replace crow at least some of the time with walking up the wall. Exact formula TBD. Except the last two weeks when I forgot about camel completely, plus handstand practice was a bit spotty.

- Learn how to fall safely, both from handstand and just in general. This is a start to having foundational skills for parkour movements. And it seems like a useful, if unusual, life skill.

CON: - Continue daily walks.

- Once per week, take a longer walk of at least one hour. Missed only one, I think.

- I will brush my teeth with rinses at least once per day. I can tell my oral health has declined some, and this routine absolutely helps.

INT - Continue reading 20 minutes per day.

- Read at least one page of a library book per day. I have far too many checked out, and if I finish lockdown without finishing some of them, well, that's just sad.

WIS: - Continue the prayer I'm doing now, which has become firmly attached to the walk.

- I'd really like to add in another. For the next couple of weeks, I have a really good trigger for maghrib, so I'm going to try that. I hope it sticks.

- Read some Quran daily. I wrote out a nice daily reading schedule. It takes like five minutes. And is there a better time to start?!

CHA: - Continue trying to contact one person per day.

- Participate in at least one NF thread daily. Keep up with people and give rather than only taking, dangit!

- I will collect the emails of all of my family members.

Occupation: /- I will set aside two hours of non-negotiable time for VO work every day. I haven't picked the hours yet, and I don't even know if they'll be consecutive or not (yay planning?). In this two hours, there should be some practice, but also auditioning, editing, learning, marketing, website building, etc. So many things to do. Though I did not hit two hours on most days, or anything at all on some days, I was actually trying really hard and did do something most days. Now that most of the moving parts are in place, I'm looking forward to moving this into the habit category.

- I will finish moving my money around to get everything as it should be. It's so close.

- I will finish the Ls.

- I will begin the Ms.

Arts/Skills: - Keep chipping away at the repair pile. Aim for one per day.

- I will process at least one item in my inbox per day. Inbox is a generous term: it's a pile of paper that needs dealing with. Most of the items require small actions like copying an address, filling out a form, etc. Some require more thought and effort. Some need only filing. It's all gotta go by year end.

Languages: - I've been a slacker on Duolingo lately, but I'm not sure that I can sustain the pace I was running in the past. So I will do at least one new lesson and one review per language per day, plus keep all the golden skills golden. (If you're already on Duo, follow me!)

- I will find and try the oral French test again. Just once, when my internet is good. If it still doesn't work, I'm calling it done and moving on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That does not look so bad at all! The things that didn't get done were either one-off items (damn, I really should have checked them earlier. And get back into using my todo app to remember this stuff) or habits that I postponed and then forgot all about. So the failures were largely just from not checking back with the original challenge and relying on my faulty memory. The things I actually remembered and set out to do, which was plenty enough to be a challenge on their own, I did really well on. Not every single day (except the walk and post-walk prayer, way to hold it up!), but not too far off either. This may be one of the most successful challenges I have ever had.

The habit setup stuff has really been paying off. I put out the prayer rug as soon as I put my bed away, and then it's right there to remind me, with the blankets being a convenient spot for crow pose when working on it indoors. I left tabs open permanently for my Quran (because I buried my print copy in my book piles, lol), Duo, and my challenge thread, and selected the first one again before closing the computer in the evening so that I could get right into them as soon as I opened the computer. The Kindle has been living next to the computer as well. The library book is in a holder at the dining room table. After supper, I roll my d20 twice to pick my repair and inbox items as a little fun ritual. And if I'm too tired or sick for VO or something is preventing it (or procrastination gets me), I know that I can work on books instead and have done something productive and necessary. Now I just have to stick with it so I keep my habit gainz.

My plan right now is to deal with those lingering one-off tasks during zero week. The forgotten habit items will very likely reappear next challenge. I have also ignored my narrative, such as it was, for the last few challenges - it would be nice to reboot it. The only challenge there is that since I intend to be following the same plan for a while (looking for things to hit 1-year goals and building slowly), there may not be enough changes for an interesting narrative. Ah well, that's never stopped me before. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

No, that does not look bad at all! Impressive!

I like how your plans for the next challenge are all about building on the wins you had during this challenge period. Onward!