Bigm Builds a Better Body

So last time I was here, I had just hurt my back lifting, spiraling into an ego bruising pity party that included too much drinking, bad food choices, and overall self indulgent whining. Luckily it is a new challenge, and despite my poor mobility habits these last two weeks, my back is better so it's time to get back to the barbell and start building up strength again.

Goal 1: Pick a Program

Given I hurt myself I am going to switch from the low volume 5/3/1 in order to get some lighter weight higher volume work in to strength my weak points. Leaning towards a Smolov Jr run for bench and squat, and a Cube method for some lightweight deadlifting.

Goal 2: Accessorize!

I need to focus on some back and joint friendly accessories. Good mornings with an empty bar felt fine last week so I'll try these out, along with some superman holds to strengthen the erectors and add in some upper back accessories like pullups and rows.

Goal 3: Mobilize more throughout the day

Back when lockdown started I was doing okay at getting up and moving every few hours and working on pullups and KB stuff. So I'm going to pick this back up. This time it is a bit easier since I have the GMB Mobility program all loaded on my computer. So I should, at the very least, be able to mindlessly follow the videos to move better.

Goal 4: Handstands and pullups

Thisis a stretch goal but man I really want to rededicate to getting my freestanding handstand as well as get back to 8 pullups in a row. I was close about 6 weeks ago, so I just have to carve out some time to work on them daily.

That's it. Let's go.

• Like 7

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

It's a new challenge! Clean and Shiny! Have fun with the lighter/volume work! 

When you say you do KB stuff throughout the day... do you think it's okay to do more than one workout per day? Wondering if I could do more and still get enough recovery...

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

When you say you do KB stuff throughout the day... do you think it's okay to do more than one workout per day? Wondering if I could do more and still get enough recovery...

It all depends on what you're doing. The largest KB I have is a 20kg and that's light enough that I can pretty much toss it around all day without issue.

So it's totally doable as long as you scale the weights appropriately.

31 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Excuse me sir, would you care to purchase a commemorative plank from the recently retired Warrior Mead Hall?

I will take one plank, please. I just went through the first dozen or so pages, and I gotta say there are a lotta names in there I miss seeing around the forums.

• Like 4

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

Just look at it as one single workout spread out over several hours with very long rest periods. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Volume is good for ya.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

16 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

I will take one plank, please. I just went through the first dozen or so pages, and I gotta say there are a lotta names in there I miss seeing around the forums.

RIP

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

On 5/11/2020 at 5:38 AM, bigm141414 said:

It all depends on what you're doing. The largest KB I have is a 20kg and that's light enough that I can pretty much toss it around all day without issue.

It doesn’t affect the more serious lifting sessions?

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Update time!

It's been a busy week in BigM land. I spent 3 days, 6 hours each, in my lab at work. Which was a stressful experience given all the new regulations. I was semi productive mainly because the program I am working on is giving me trouble and  debugging things when I don't have people around to talk things through is infinitely more difficult. I did see some of my coworkers and it was nice to just shoot the shit with them, even if it was from 6 feet away and through a face mask.

I have so far managed to get in 2 bench sessions and a squat session. Both went okay and I can tell it's been a while since because the DOMS from squats were rough. Since I wasn't home much during the day, I haven't had a lot of time to work on handstands or pullups so that's still an on going battle. I got in my 2 scheduled GMB mobility workouts as well, which was a fantastic remind that my hips are tight and my body is not good at moving.

Looking forward to this weekend: I have some chores I need to do, like get groceries. I've been eating out for like the last week and a half and it shows. But dang it, I got tired of eating my cooking and thai food is just so tasty. Plus I have to clean my house as it's gotten a bit dusty lately.

• Like 7

On 5/13/2020 at 2:28 PM, KB Girl said:

It doesn’t affect the more serious lifting sessions?

Nah not really. Usually I have a few hours between KB tossing sessions and the full on gym. If I was doing it right before I did my heavy sessions that would be a different story. And I don't have crazy high reps either, the reps top out at around 100 throughout the day depending on how diligent I am being. Plus, the serious gym sessions have been low volume for the last 5-6 weeks so they don't take a hit.

• Like 1

Ahhh the squats DOMS you get after time off. Nothing like it to make you realise you shouldn't have neglected squatting.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

58 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Nah not really. Usually I have a few hours between KB tossing sessions and the full on gym. If I was doing it right before I did my heavy sessions that would be a different story. And I don't have crazy high reps either, the reps top out at around 100 throughout the day depending on how diligent I am being. Plus, the serious gym sessions have been low volume for the last 5-6 weeks so they don't take a hit.

Ah yes that does sound reasonable. It’s more a moving around thing rather than really working i guess.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

So it's been a long while since I updated this thread. I kinda ended up in a slump the last 2 weeks. I have touched a barbell maybe twice since I was last here. My focus just hasn't been working right and the shelter in place stuff hit me kinda hard. Even though I am going into the office now, it's a bit stressful given all the new regulations. Plus, wearing a mask for 6-7 hours a day straight gives me a mild headache at the end of the day which I am not used to.

Alan Thrall did a decent video which sums up a lot of how I've been feeling about working out from home these last 2 weeks:

Spoiler

I honestly might throw down some money to join a gym for a few months after this is all over because my home gym isn't cutting it lately.

• Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 5:16 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Which GMB mobility thing are you doing?

Their new GMB Mobility thingy they release few weeks back. It's pretty good for uber beginners to functional movement stuff. The app is nice and lets you select different lengths of workouts from 10 min up to 45min which is nice. When I actually do it, it's great. I just haven't been consistent with it.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Alan Thrall did a decent video which sums up a lot of how I've been feeling about working out from home these last 2 weeks:

It's a decent video with great reasons for why I will not be getting a home gym after this. 

I would have absolutely loved to have access to a power rack and barbells while my local gym was closed, but it took being forced not to go to the gym, for me to realize there are so many other benefits to going to the gym than merely access to the equipment there. 

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

I honestly might throw down some money to join a gym for a few months after this is all over because my home gym isn't cutting it lately.

32 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

It's a decent video with great reasons for why I will not be getting a home gym after this. 

I would have absolutely loved to have access to a power rack and barbells while my local gym was closed, but it took being forced not to go to the gym, for me to realize there are so many other benefits to going to the gym than merely access to the equipment there. 

It's true... I'm so excited and focused at the gym, and I get a buzz from being out and about (since my only job is a bit of editing, my only reason to get out of the house now is grocery shopping and solitary exercise walks). Mr Harriet really doesn't want me to go back to the gym when we return to Berlin in a few months. He just listened to a podcast by an epidemiologist who said that contact and big droplet transfer of covid is much less likely than we thought, but that aerosol transmission is extremely potent. So we maybe shouldn't be washing our groceries like they're carrying the plague, but we should be terrified of being in the same room as people, even if they're more than 6' away. Sigh.

Mr Harriet said we could get a power rack when we go back, despite the space and cost. I was super happy about this. But now I'm wondering... what if I just lose my excitement for lifting because it's at home in my ugly sweatpants? It's kinda weird, but I like seeing people and being seen---just existing in the world and having a reason to put proper clothes on. Then again, gyms in Berlin are not as nice, and neither are the people... Hmm. I don't know what to do. Maybe we all have to make workout videos and post them. And we can come and watch each other lifting and say "I see you exist. Love the yellow leggings. Good squat form". Now I'm just rambling, sorry.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your slump, BigM. And wearing a mask all day sounds really crap. Little things can hurt if you have to wear them all day. Like a slightly too tight hairpin. You don't notice it at first, but after several hours it's very painful.

35 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Mr Harriet really doesn't want me to go back to the gym when we return to Berlin in a few months. He just listened to a podcast by an epidemiologist who said that contact and big droplet transfer of covid is much less likely than we thought, but that aerosol transmission is extremely potent. So we maybe shouldn't be washing our groceries like they're carrying the plague, but we should be terrified of being in the same room as people, even if they're more than 6' away. Sigh.

Source? Secondary source? Credibility of said sources?

There is a quadrillion petabytes of information about this disease out there. A person who knows how to verify sources and how to do their own research has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for accepting what they hear at face value, without at the very least making sure they heard it from a reliable source that can back up the statement with verified data. (Not saying that's what Mr. Harriet did. It's more of a general reminder for everyone right now. :) )

And I agree with you about everything you said about the gym.

@bigm141414 The headache could be because it's hard to breathe through the mask and you're not getting enough oxygen. Try spending a few minutes every hour or half hour focused on taking slow and deep breaths.

It could also be tension pain from unconsciously tensing muscles around your jaw and temples because wearing a mask is something new that makes your face want to tense up. It happens sometimes when a person is trying to get used to wearing glasses for the first time. Try to pay attention to it and consciously relax your jaw and chin when you notice it's tense. Give yourself a light massage around the temples and in the neck muscles right behind your jaw as well, when you can get away with it (mornings and evenings, for example).

If it's something else... then I'm sorry but I am out of ideas. I hope it gets better soon!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

There is a quadrillion petabytes of information about this disease out there. A person who knows how to verify sources and how to do their own research has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for accepting what they hear at face value, without at the very least making sure they heard it from a reliable source that can back up the statement with verified data. (Not saying that's what Mr. Harriet did. It's more of a general reminder for everyone right now. :) )

https://srv.deutschlandradio.de/dlf-audiothek-audio-teilen.3265.de.html?mdm%3Aaudio_id=834027

It's an interview with a German virologist on a German public broadcasting channel. The title says to focus more on air than constantly disinfecting things, though apparently the interview is a bit more nuanced. Honestly, scientists can disagree and still sound all plausible to me, since I am not trained in picking apart the details of their reasoning and data. Sooo... I know it's not ideal, but I tend to read a lot of different things and just form a general impression of the shape of the conceptual landscape and the disagreement landmarks, as it were. Probably not ideal. I don't know how to verify sources and do my own research. 

4 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

@bigm141414 The headache could be because it's hard to breathe through the mask and you're not getting enough oxygen. Try spending a few minutes every hour or half hour focused on taking slow and deep breaths.

It could also be tension pain from unconsciously tensing muscles around your jaw and temples because wearing a mask is something new that makes your face want to tense up. It happens sometimes when a person is trying to get used to wearing glasses for the first time. Try to pay attention to it and consciously relax your jaw and chin when you notice it's tense. Give yourself a light massage around the temples and in the neck muscles right behind your jaw as well, when you can get away with it (mornings and evenings, for example).

If it's something else... then I'm sorry but I am out of ideas. I hope it gets better soon!

Ahhh, I was assuming it's because points of even minor tension on the scalp can cause pain after long hours. In which case the solution might be pinning the straps somehow so the pressure is more evenly spread, most especially to spare the area just behind/below the ear. But it might be something else.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Harriet said:

https://srv.deutschlandradio.de/dlf-audiothek-audio-teilen.3265.de.html?mdm%3Aaudio_id=834027

It's an interview with a German virologist on a German public broadcasting channel. The title says to focus more on air than constantly disinfecting things, though apparently the interview is a bit more nuanced. Honestly, scientists can disagree and still sound all plausible to me, since I am not trained in picking apart the details of their reasoning and data. Sooo... I know it's not ideal, but I tend to read a lot of different things and just form a general impression of the shape of the conceptual landscape and the disagreement landmarks, as it were. Probably not ideal. I don't know how to verify sources and do my own research. 

Yes, you do. You just did. :) 

"Research" is within reason, of course. The WHO, for example, has resources and knowledge that a single individual can never dream of having. So for me they are the baseline. If someone disagrees with them, that's there the questioning starts... I look at who it is who disagrees, and look for an agenda, be it an open or a hidden one. Do they gain something if this is true? Then I question it further. I also compare what has been said to what others I have determined to be credible have said, in the case of COVID-19 I cross-reference the WHO, the CDC, and Folkhälsomyndigheten (Swedish CDC). It takes more time and effort, but it seems important to make sure the information I ingest is valid when it comes to this disease.

Lastly, thank you for the link! I will investigate this evening and look forward to learning more.

25 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ahhh, I was assuming it's because points of even minor tension on the scalp can cause pain after long hours. In which case the solution might be pinning the straps somehow so the pressure is more evenly spread, most especially to spare the area just behind/below the ear. But it might be something else.

Ah, very good point. My employer has a small number of business critical roles who can't work from home go in to the office to work there, and several of them complain the mask is chafing and causing pain where the strings grip around the ears.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Yes, you do. You just did. :) 

"Research" is within reason, of course. The WHO, for example, has resources and knowledge that a single individual can never dream of having. So for me they are the baseline. If someone disagrees with them, that's there the questioning starts... I look at who it is who disagrees, and look for an agenda, be it an open or a hidden one. Do they gain something if this is true? Then I question it further. I also compare what has been said to what others I have determined to be credible have said, in the case of COVID-19 I cross-reference the WHO, the CDC, and Folkhälsomyndigheten (Swedish CDC). It takes more time and effort, but it seems important to make sure the information I ingest is valid when it comes to this disease.

Lastly, thank you for the link! I will investigate this evening and look forward to learning more.

Thanks for sharing your process. I guess it's not as difficult as I thought, though it will still leave room for some disagreement and ambiguity. And I do think authorities can sometimes get it wrong on specific issues.

The interview is in German, sorry! I didn't even listen, Mr Harriet just summarised it for me. Maybe I should, though, for a bit of practice.

Ah, very good point. My employer has a small number of business critical roles who can't work from home go in to the office to work there, and several of them complain the mask is chafing and causing pain where the strings grip around the ears.

Yeah, apparently you can get mask ear clips or grips that shift the tension, though I don't know how well they work. Might be worth trying.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Thanks for sharing your process. I guess it's not as difficult as I thought, though it will still leave room for some disagreement and ambiguity. And I do think authorities can sometimes get it wrong on specific issues.

I think it's impossible to completely avoid all ambiguity. Especially for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of in-depth medical knowledge to apply to the information I find. But the way I see it, if the information is valid, it can withstand questioning and scrutiny, as long as that questioning is done for the explicit purpose of finding out an answer. (Doubting everything we read is counter productive and leads nowhere though.)

And I've never met a public broadcasting company who didn't offer transcripts of interviews, and Chrome translates pages, so I am optimistic I'll be able to find it once I have time to actually search. :) 

• Like 1

I miss my gym so badddd, but right. It doesn't boil down to just the equipment. It's a lot of things. 

Work sounds stressful. And yeah, focus is hard to come by, mannnn. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Karl Popper, a philosopher of science, was always quick to point out that even in the hard sciences, data has to be interpreted by humans.

Scientists can argue about the interpretation of data in the exact same way biblical scholars can argue over minutia in the Bible. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath