• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm Builds a Better Body

29 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Scientists can argue about the interpretation of data in the exact same way biblical scholars can argue over minutia in the Bible. 

Here is my educated rebuke to such a statement:

42xdec.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Here is my educated rebuke to such a statement:

42xdec.jpg

I agree, data is data. You still have to interpret it though.

Let go of the modernist myth of objectivity and admit to yourself the best you can do is mitigate your bias.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I agree, data is data. You still have to interpret it though.

Let go of the modernist myth of objectivity and admit to yourself the best you can do is mitigate your bias.

...and this is why we can never get rid of that damned ambiguity! 😠

😛 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Scientists can argue about the interpretation of data in the exact same way biblical scholars can argue over minutia in the Bible. 

Biblical scholars wouldn't do that! 

(Runs and hides)

😜

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I see you've never met a Biblical scholar ;) 

Yes, I'm sure the running and hiding was prompted by something not at all similar to harrowing past experiences with groups of them.

Now, excuse me while I go hide over here.... ahem. Over there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I see you've never met a Biblical scholar ;) 

I'm going to CCU for a dual undergrad and grad degree in Biblical Studies, lol.

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Yes, I'm sure the running and hiding was prompted by something not at all similar to harrowing past experiences with groups of them.

Now, excuse me while I go hide over here.... ahem. Over there. 

Sadly, yes. It's why I avoid Christian online discussion groups. They can get very nasty. :( 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Sadly, yes. It's why I avoid Christian online discussion groups. They can get very nasty. :( 

2074498644_source(2).gif.7b331fb9230a995be0a5612969af7f04.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I'm going to CCU for a dual undergrad and grad degree in Biblical Studies, lol.

My supervisor went there when it was the Denver Bible Institute.

• Like 1

Quick update: It's been well into 90+ degree F territory the last few days. I don't have AC in my condo. Not usually a big deal since normally I would be at work all day, but not this summer. I have basically surrounded myself with fans and given up all pretense of putting clothes on. Sleeping has been awful as has pretty much everything else. Damn near shaved my hair off because it's soooo hot right now. Just plain irritable. 

On the workout front, I picked up a used bike trainer to add some cardio to my days. I hate running and biking around my neighborhood isn't great. At least my legs are moving and I count that as a win. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Quick update: It's been well into 90+ degree F territory the last few days. I don't have AC in my condo. Not usually a big deal since normally I would be at work all day, but not this summer. I have basically surrounded myself with fans and given up all pretense of putting clothes on. Sleeping has been awful as has pretty much everything else. Damn near shaved my hair off because it's soooo hot right now. Just plain irritable. 

On the workout front, I picked up a used bike trainer to add some cardio to my days. I hate running and biking around my neighborhood isn't great. At least my legs are moving and I count that as a win. 

Yer livin' Tarly-style.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

One benefit of clothes, though, is that they stop you sticking to the furniture. So ideally you need, like, a really light, flowy robe that you can leave open, but also quickly secure for video calls and collecting the post. Also, you can pretend to be a wizard. 

Wait...people have living units without AC? I've clearly been poisoned by my years in Texas. That sounds really rough man, though at least you don't have roommates to complain about the lack of clothing?

<obnoxious Bayesian comment about choice of priors affecting interpretation of the same data redacted>

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 3:19 PM, Harriet said:

One benefit of clothes, though, is that they stop you sticking to the furniture. So ideally you need, like, a really light, flowy robe that you can leave open, but also quickly secure for video calls and collecting the post. Also, you can pretend to be a wizard. 

Instead of flowy robes I decided to move everything into the kitchen. Lying on the cool tile floor with the fridge open is a joy. I can still pretend to be a wizard even if I've become a puddle :)

On 5/28/2020 at 5:27 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Break down and get a window unit. Trying to sleep when it's too hot is ass.

My frugal nature has yet to succumb to the idea of creature comforts. And yes, sleep is ass right now. On the brightside I am thankful for being single. I cannot fathom the idea of being next to another heat generating organism right now, let alone sleeping near such a thing.

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’re gonna want AC to ride your trainer too. Doing that in the heat is even more ass than riding outside in the heat.

I just pointed the fan at me on high speed. Makes me think I am bombing some downhill streets like a Tour De France pro. Also, I did not realize I can sweat so much in so little time.

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Wait...people have living units without AC? I've clearly been poisoned by my years in Texas. That sounds really rough man, though at least you don't have roommates to complain about the lack of clothing?

<obnoxious Bayesian comment about choice of priors affecting interpretation of the same data redacted>

If I did have roommates, I would have had a no-clothes-above-90F agreement in the lease. We're all adults here and a little nudity can be tolerated for the sake of comfort. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

My frugal nature has yet to succumb to the idea of creature comforts. And yes, sleep is ass right now.

Sleep is not a luxury or "comfort". It's a necessity, and if a window AC unit makes sleeping better, it's an investment in your mental and physical health. 

4 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I just pointed the fan at me on high speed. Makes me think I am bombing some downhill streets like a Tour De France pro. Also, I did not realize I can sweat so much in so little time.

Please don't forget to drink lots of water to replenish the sweat. Make sure you replace the electrolytes as well.

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Window units fuck. 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

With whom are you agreeing? Or are you making a declarative statement about the reproductive habits of climate control machines?

Yes, we need to know: whom do window units fuck?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Yes, we need to know: whom do window units fuck?

That's a mental image that's going to linger....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Marriage contracts should also have a clause that says in 90F heat you sleep in separate beds/rooms. 

The mask situation getting any better?

On 5/26/2020 at 7:33 PM, Harriet said:

Then again, gyms in Berlin are not as nice.

Surely there must be a few nice gyms :) I know a few KB people in and near Berlin, I could ask around. Maybe by then you like the bells so much you’ll want to take up my lovely sport ;) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Surely there must be a few nice gyms :) I know a few KB people in and near Berlin, I could ask around. Maybe by then you like the bells so much you’ll want to take up my lovely sport ;) 

I was actually talking about the people. The uni students are just maybe a bit nicer than the builders at an ordinary gym? Plus Germans can be a bit more unfriendly. On average, of course. I think if I did go back to the gym, it would be one that's as close as my old gym, but more expensive. Proximity is super important for me since I don't have a car, and planning longer trips with public transport costs too much anxiety. Obviously I can do it, but I don't want to be making excuses and hesitating when it comes time to lift. I want the barrier to starting to be low, you know?

On 6/2/2020 at 11:35 PM, Harriet said:

I was actually talking about the people. The uni students are just maybe a bit nicer than the builders at an ordinary gym? Plus Germans can be a bit more unfriendly. On average, of course. I think if I did go back to the gym, it would be one that's as close as my old gym, but more expensive. Proximity is super important for me since I don't have a car, and planning longer trips with public transport costs too much anxiety. Obviously I can do it, but I don't want to be making excuses and hesitating when it comes time to lift. I want the barrier to starting to be low, you know?

Oh yea definitely. Low barriers. 
The only Germans I know are super friendly, but it’s probably area dependent :) 

• Like 1