• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Building the Habits of an Athlete

Checking in - morning routine stuff is going great, dance is going swell, but I've gotten sloppy with actually getting to bed after deciding to start my evening routine. Gonna refocus on that this week while I'm on vacation (it doesn't matter when I go to bed, but I gotta GO TO BED). Clippers shipped, so I'll theoretically be experimenting with them sometime in the next couple weeks.

I don't have work to procrastinate this week, so I'll probably be scarce around here - y'all hang tight!

• Like 3

Check in after a week of vacation - it's amazing how fast a week of doing very little flies by!! I'm definitely feeling refreshed, though maybe not back to 100% yet, but I'm at least excited about getting back to work and my other usual routines on Monday, which is an exciting development for me. Morning routine stuff was mostly good this week, but my evening routine totally and completely flew out the window on most nights. I'm not surprised, but I'd definitely like to hit the reset on that this coming week, and maybe start playing around with some more yoga poses from the book I bought a while ago (so far, I've just done some of the shoulder focused ones and found them really helpful for increasing my mobility and addressing some tightness). Dance stuff has been going quite well, I'm having a relatively easy time recognizing when some of my self-study projects were biting off way more than I can chew and adjusting my expectations and goals there (like wanting to study all the technique books in depth over just the summer...lol dude, it takes teaching professionals literally years to master the info for a reason!). Oh, and through serendipity, I logged onto a dating app Sunday night, chatted with a cute guy for like an hour and a half, ended up going on a date Monday, then seeing each other again yesterday and planning on another date today. So extra free time sure isn't all bad!

I also had a bozo move where I tried to do a legs workout and a full-out dance practice on Thursday and I'm still feeling the DOMS. Silly Mike, but at least now I have confirmation that working out on dance days (at least hardcore legs strength) is a VERY BAD IDEA.

Basically, things are good!

• Like 6

Morning nerds! At some point, I'll estimate data for the past couple weeks, but adding one additional goal this week - some yoga learning, even if it's just one new pose or practicing a recently learned one, every day. I haven't been doing enough mobility work outside the dance studio, so we're gonna try and correct that. I'm also noticing that I've been sliding downward in terms of veggie intake - only action item this week is to be aware of the fruits and veggies I'm consuming each meal, tracking can start in future weeks.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Good to hear you enjoyed your time off :) 

Thank you!! It was a delightful whirlwind, and I'm glad I took the time.

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

did you experiment with your hair? 

I have not yet! The clippers arrived this week (maybe yesterday, but it's all a blur - see below). 

Sooo this week has been rough - both the state of the world more broadly (and seeing up close some truly deplorable actions by my city's police crop up on videos) and my body's state. I've been fighting a GI bug since basically noon on Monday - I thought it was just a grumbly tummy from spicy food Sunday night, so I took some antacids and ate normally Monday, and I *really* had a rough Tuesday as a result. Thankfully, I have a good friend who's an RN and walked me through some self-diagnosing to get comfortable that I didn't have any symptoms that required me to see a doctor immediately and instead I could ride it out at home (*shitty* though my symptoms were, and I mean that literally). She also reminded me that the BRATS diet is a thing for dealing with upset stomachs - and it definitely helped guide my food choices since then to help me feel on the up and up. I've been spending a lot of couch time and haven't been getting a ton of movement in, but I'm totally grading myself on a curve and still calling this a successful recovery week in that I did listen to my body's needs and did what I could to push my body to heal. My dance partner came over just to hang out and watch old episodes of Will and Grace and eat chocolate croissants and honestly it was delightful to get that little bit of social interaction in an otherwise isolating week.

• Like 2

oh no :( That's awful. Couch time and chocolate croissants sounds like good recovery though. Hope you're starting to feel a little better now. I agree, it's been a good week to take things easy.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry about the nasty bug. Chocolate croissants and chilling with the dance partner sound nice though.

• Like 1

Oh wow, I really fell off the map in a well-intentioned but unsuccessful attempt to get more focused at work by logging off some websites.

So good news- I'm definitely NOT still fighting a stomach bug! Bad news - last week was a hell week at work, I probably did a full week's worth of work by Wednesday and was then dead to the world Thursday onward. Other Bad-ish news - the week plus of low activity means that my body's really grumpy about getting back into full swing with dance stuff. But minus some aches and tightness, practice has been life-givingly good - really feeling like this is our most productive training time yet.

Local COVID cases are starting to spike as we act like more and more stuff is back to normal (no joke, my city got mocked in an onion headline this past week), but I'm thankful that my office is very much NOT taking that approach - we just got an email today that people wanting to go to the office (it's been optional the whole time) will need approval from a VP or above to be on a special authorized list kept by HR. Our team is talking about having 1-2 people on it for power cycling some computers that people remote into, but it's definitely gonna be a while before we're back in person with each other.  We also have a CEO started round of listening sessions, and our CEO seems genuinely committed to doing the hard work to learn how to make the office a more inclusive place for all (he actually teared up on the video call when talking about ways he's only recently realized the work culture may not be including all people - it really felt like a genuine display of empathy, remorse, and a resolve to do better).

In terms of goals, my morning routine has really, really been serving me well! My evening routine has been...more of a struggle to say the least. I'm finding that often, I just want to veg out to a few episodes of TV before bed, and the routine I tried to set up isn't exactly germane to that - I may actually experiment with some setups to *gasp* allow me to watch stuff from bed and configure a sleep timer on whatever I'm using to watch it, so I can at least avoid the disruption of falling asleep on the couch and then shambling over to my bed. TBD on that one, I may experiment with other things too to see what really works for me.

For next challenge, I'm going to keep focusing on the morning routine, adding in some mobility / injury management work and maybe also some strength and cardio work (I went on a long ride to nowhere in particular on Saturday morning and genuinely enjoyed it).

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Local COVID cases are starting to spike as we act like more and more stuff is back to normal (no joke, my city got mocked in an onion headline this past week), but I'm thankful that my office is very much NOT taking that approach 

I'm in that same situation... I swear the people around where I live are morons who don't know anything abut how viral infectious diseases work at all. 

Glad to hear the stomach bug is gone at least!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

In terms of goals, my morning routine has really, really been serving me well!

SWEET.

16 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

For next challenge, I'm going to keep focusing on the morning routine, adding in some mobility / injury management work and maybe also some strength and cardio work (I went on a long ride to nowhere in particular on Saturday morning and genuinely enjoyed it).

Aw, yay.

• Like 1