Kristen's Run to the Coast Challenge

Kristen

This challenge is timed perfectly for my upcoming move to San Diego!

I took a several month break from Nerd Fitness to go to Navy boot camp. I'm a little heavier, but stronger, than I used to be, and still improving. I haven't, however, gotten much faster. I miss my bikes, but I've grown to enjoy my weekly runs to the beach and back. I've also come to enjoy eating three meals a day at the chow hall, in which cheeseburgers and coconut cake are readily available and included in my pay.

Diet/Fitness goals:

1. Long term running goal: 1.5 miles in 10:15. Short term goal 11:45. Current PR 12:51.

2. Extend the length of my long run from 3 miles to 4.5 (run the flight line!)

3. Consistency: Do one long run, one speed workout, and one bodyweight workout each week in addition to group PT. More as my energy level allows. And don't forget to take days off!

4. Lay off the desserts! One small sweet per day, not a piece of cake with every meal.

5. Don't stop my workout routine while I'm on leave.

Life goal: Graduate at the top of my class. Must not get lazy. Graduation is May 30.

The plan:

I'm going to do this challenge the old fashioned way, just pick goals and go for it. I'm afraid I might be too busy to take extra time to keep track of challenges and attribute points. I don't want that to overwhelm or discourage me. As for workout plans, I have group PT 3 days a week, so I have to be reasonable with my additional workouts to avoid overtraining and injury. I'll be going mostly by how I feel.

This morning was our running day. Started with 1.5 miles at my own pace, finished that in a very average 13 minutes. 1/2 mile of Indian runs, then 1/2 mile of intervals (dash the straights, jog the curves).

In the afternoon, I did 2 sets of 21 pushups, 15 wide grip pushups, and 9 diamonds.

No sweets! Except a handful of cereal as a snack.

Tuesday: dodgeball was afternoon PT. i took two in the face. i used my bloody nose and the hot weather as an excuse not to work out afterward. might have been valid, but in hindsight seems lazy.

Wednesday: nothing

Thursday: divisional PT. a bodyweight workout and a 2 mile run. did it in my average pace, but felt dead at the end.

Friday: sore legs, took a long walk instead of running. 3 miles.

Saturday: volunteered for Special Olympics in the morning, then shut in by thunderstorms. pushup workout in my room.

not a very motivated first week. tomorrow i'm going to do an easy run, and not let next week kick my ass again.

i've been steering clear of the sweets, but not so much from junk food in general. lots of cereal, noodles, and protein shakes since i haven't had an appetite for full meals lately.

So busy, yet so not really busy. Where does my time go?

Last week:

Monday: group PT was basketball. I ran 2 miles on the track.

Tuesday: more basketball. I ran 1.5 miles.

Wednesday: off

Thursday: group PT was volleyball. No running to rest up for...

Friday: mock PRT. 101 situps, 56 pushups, 1.5 mile run in 13:01

Saturday: day trip to New Orleans to visit the WWII museum and Audubon Zoo. No PT, but being in the sun all day was exhausting.

Sunday: sore shins, so no running. Took a long walk around the base instead.

This week:

Monday: football and 1.5 mile run

Tuesday: PT was cancelled, honor guard practice took up most of the afternoon.

Wednesday: black flag (dangerous weather) so no afternoon PT.

After the last test, I ended up at the top of the class by 0.2%.

I've been good on the one dessert per day, some days skipping it entirely. On the whole though, my appetite has been a lot smaller, so I just eat a little less in general.

Ok, to catch up (I'll try to remember)

Thursday: best game of football ever.

Friday: stayed out late last night, slept in.

Saturday: don't remember. I don't think I did anything.

Sunday: Ran the flight line, heat and humidity destroyed me. I walked the last 1/2 mile.

Monday: Intended to run 2 miles, but cut it short because of the weather.

Tuesday: graduation practice, no PT

Wednesday: graduation, more nothing

Thursday: at the airport all day, carried 2 sea bags, garment bag, and backpack. That doesn't count, does it?

Friday: nope

Saturday: I did some pushups, but no real workout. Just sat around at the pool all day, enjoying being out of the awful, horrible, Mississippi weather and back in the midwest. It was glorious!

Sunday: 1 mile

Monday: Spent the day running around town and getting my car fixed.

Tuesday: 2.5 miles

Wednesday: bodyweight workout, including incline pushups!

Since not having military chow, I've had only one dessert. It's just too easy when it's right there in front of me.

Plan for the rest of the week:

Thursday: Run or bike

Friday: Bodyweight workout

Saturday: Bike or run

Sunday: off

Monday: mock PRT, report.

REPORT!

Diet/Fitness goals:

1. Long term running goal: 1.5 miles in 10:15. Short term goal 11:45. Current PR 12:51. I timed a 1.5 today for 12:32. Getting there! Running it as an out and back rather than 6 laps on a track helps mentally, but unfortunately that's not how the official PRT goes. I need to work on my mental game. Also, my current best 5K is at 32:42. Grade: C

2. Extend the length of my long run from 3 miles to 4.5 (run the flight line!) I ran (most of) the flight line before I left the base. I walked the last 1/2 mile. I blame the wicked heat and humidity, but I can condition myself to run past that. An excuse only works once. Grade: C

3. Consistency: Do one long run, one speed workout, and one bodyweight workout each week in addition to group PT. More as my energy level allows. And don't forget to take days off! I did a decent job of just getting out, even when I wasn't feeling it, but didn't push myself on my solo workouts as much as I could have. Some of it was half-assed. And that last weekend of school? Damn booze. Grade: C

4. Lay off the desserts! One small sweet per day, not a piece of cake with every meal. Done and done. Grade: A

5. Don't stop my workout routine while I'm on leave. I did nothing on graduation days, travel days, and made excuses the first two days of leave, but picked it up right away despite being in various states of hung over for the entire week. Again, I did all the workouts I had planned, but didn't go as hard as I could have if I had been a little more conservative with the beer and cider. Grade: B

Life goal: Graduate at the top of my class. Hell yeah! Finished top of class, honor grad, honor guard, all of it. I may suck at fitness, but I'm awesome at academics. And the double plus is nearly a $200 pay raise in a few months. Grade: A

Overall grade: C+

CONCLUSIONS:

1. I need to stop sucking at setting goals.

2. I need to stop abusing my body with booze. It's not like I'm out partying every night (or ever, actually) but any more than 1-2 drinks and I'll feel it the next day. I'm a lightweight. This is a good thing!

3. I am so afraid of injury. Terrified. If I'm the slightest bit dehydrated, or there is a heat advisory, or I have aches in my feet, I'll cancel (or half ass) a workout. I can't decide what the right level of caution is. Am I being reasonably safe, or just making excuses not to go hard? Could I push myself harder, or should I keep working for slow but steady progress? I don't know.

So if you cut down the booze and drank more water, you could worry less about dehydration and stop skipping workouts. Great job on the sweets and super hell yeah about graduating at the top of your class!

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Im proud of you for being honest with yourself in your write up. I think calling it what it is can be the hardest part of self-examination, and you did it anyway!

Way to go on your graduation, though, that's awesome!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

REPORT!

3. I am so afraid of injury. Terrified. If I'm the slightest bit dehydrated, or there is a heat advisory, or I have aches in my feet, I'll cancel (or half ass) a workout. I can't decide what the right level of caution is. Am I being reasonably safe, or just making excuses not to go hard? Could I push myself harder, or should I keep working for slow but steady progress? I don't know.

Congrats on your accomplishments!! This is the hardest part of running, in my opinion. It is SCARY to think about getting injured. I think you just need to listen to your body, but remember that it's important to push yourself on a regular basis. Aches in your feet is something to be more concerned about than a heat advisory. I find that when it's really warm out I just end up running a little slower or a little shorter distance. That's not half-assing. It's being careful.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines