• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Machete

Machete Lowers the Bar

Well I got instant-killed last challenge by a sudden bout of depression. I guess the good thing I'm getting out of this is the realization that I am not who I used to be, and that I should treat myself as a different person. I can't just skip breakfast and get abs again, or do a 40 kg TGU on a whim. That person lives only in our memories; this guy has to start from scratch.

Scyllas stats in Fallout: New Vegas. by JaredtheFox92 on DeviantArt

CODING

I've got a scheduled course going. It's good to have structure. I also have a total time tracker for time spent coding. I want to target 35 hours of coding a week, which is roughly an extra hour on the weekdays. It's not seeming as confusing as it initially was.

Science | Fallout Wiki | Fandom

PROTEIN

Mistake last challenge was having a large protein jump AND the hour workout, which were both huge adjustments starting from nothing. I need to treat myself like a complete newbie, so I'll start with a double-scoop protein shake in the morning.

Cannibal - The Vault Fallout Wiki - Everything you need to know ...

HANDSTANDS

Handstands have been my main nemesis, in gymnastic movements. I can't seem to get it, but I also haven't put in any regular practice for more than a few weeks, like, ever. I'd like to make it as painless as possible, and establish an MED of 10 HS Tuck-ups, and 10 Wall Facing-Away Partial Handstands.

Agility - The Vault Fallout Wiki - Everything you need to know ...

WEEK 1

Sunday, 10 - did not start. I just banged my hoe all day.

Monday, 11 - 2.5 hours of code, check  on the protein, no handstands.

Tuesday, 12 - 8 hours of code (system did not log 2), protein was in, only got the 10 HS Tuck-ups done.

Wednesday, 13 - logged 5 hours, drank protein first thing, but no HS.

Thursday, 14 - barely got an hour of code in. System logged 8, so I have 5 to make up for. Got the protein, got the HS.

Friday, 15 - 2 hours of code. Protein check. HS missed.

Saturday, 16 - 6 hours. Protein check. HS missed.

WEEK 2

Sunday, 17 - 3 hours code, drank protein, missed HS.

Monday, 18 - 3.5 hours code, drank protein, did HS.

Tuesday, 19 - ???

Wednesday, 20 - ???

Thursday, 21 - ???

Friday, 22 - ???

Saturday, 23 - ???

WEEK 3

Sunday, 24 - ???

Monday, 25 - Handstands

Tuesday, 26 - missed HS and protein

Wednesday, 27

Thursday, 28

Friday, 29

Saturday, 30

WEEK 4

Sunday, 31

Monday, 1

Tuesday, 2

Wednesday, 3

Thursday, 4

Friday, 5

Saturday, 6

WEEK 5

Sunday, 7

Monday, 8

Tuesday, 9

Wednesday, 10

Thursday, 11

Friday, 12

Saturday, 13

• Like 10

I like your placeholder. It has all that counts.

BTW, looks like you tend to be my "what to do next" compass. Some time ago, you posted about S&S, and I got into it. For last couple days I was thinking exploring handstands, and here you are... BAM! Handstands! 

It's definitively a sign ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aramis said:

I like your placeholder. It has all that counts.

BTW, looks like you tend to be my "what to do next" compass. Some time ago, you posted about S&S, and I got into it. For last couple days I was thinking exploring handstands, and here you are... BAM! Handstands! 

It's definitively a sign ;)

Do It GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 2

Life's currently a shitshow. I don't know if it's because I keep staying up until 2 or because I'm not exercising or showering, or just not being able to train people. I did an exam for a TRX Trainer Cert, and it actually relaxed me. Meanwhile getting through that first hump of absolute incompetence in JavaScript is proving to be like Courier 6 trying to run through Quarry Junction at level 4.

Quarry Junction in a nutshell : Fallout

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Machete said:

Life's currently a shitshow.

But on the other hand, you share all the best memes on IG (except the mint choco-chip ice cream one :( ) so there is that

Following for hand stand stuff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Machete said:

Life's currently a shitshow. I don't know if it's because I keep staying up until 2 or because I'm not exercising or showering, or just not being able to train people.

Been there, done that. Side effects of quarantine lockdown, the uncertainty of when this will and and how things will be after, plus having nothing to look foward to like trips or concerts. It shall pass, in the meantime try to not be overly hard on yourself (which includes not being overambitious, but it looks like you learned that part from last challenge).

• Like 1

So say we all. Not to minimize what you're going through but to point out that you're not in it alone. Even though you are alone. Because we're all alone. So very alone.

Point is, you're not gonna get any judgment from the likes of me or anyone who's here. It's okay for this to suck right now. It's normal.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

But on the other hand, you share all the best memes on IG (except the mint choco-chip ice cream one :( ) so there is that

Following for hand stand stuff

One of my most unpopular opinions is not liking those Thin Mint girlscout cookies. 😅

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Been there, done that. Side effects of quarantine lockdown, the uncertainty of when this will and and how things will be after, plus having nothing to look foward to like trips or concerts. It shall pass, in the meantime try to not be overly hard on yourself (which includes not being overambitious, but it looks like you learned that part from last challenge).

In my mind I was actually pretty stoked about the lockdown, but maybe my body isn't okay with it. I think the wife's taking it harder. I actually looked into going back in the Army, but she didn't want that either. 😛

5 minutes ago, Kishi said:

So say we all. Not to minimize what you're going through but to point out that you're not in it alone. Even though you are alone. Because we're all alone. So very alone.

Point is, you're not gonna get any judgment from the likes of me or anyone who's here. It's okay for this to suck right now. It's normal.

Haha yeah, you've watched my manic-depressive cycles come and go the past seven years. People here have been nothing but supportive, and the internet seems to allow people to be more vulnerable these days. (I'm still a bit old-fashioned though in that I'm uncomfortable discussing it in-person for some reason.)

But anyway, I was able to work with my teammate today, black belt who started out struggling to hold up a 16kg now doing multiple getup sets with the 36. I'm feeling pretty good. We'll see how it translates to coding.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Machete said:

People here have been nothing but supportive, and the internet seems to allow people to be more vulnerable these days. (I'm still a bit old-fashioned though in that I'm uncomfortable discussing it in-person for some reason.)

I won't be any different in this manner. And I'll assure you - you're not alone. Nor in being vulnerable, nor old-fashioned :) 

1 hour ago, Machete said:

I'm feeling pretty good.

Great!

On a side note - can I ask you something? One thing about HS, and one about S&S (which are both your area of expertise, imo).

When I get upside down in a wall walk, breathing is weird. Hard and... unnatural...? Is is me being too nervous, it is from overly tense core or is it just normal when being inverted?

And secondly - I'm doing S&S with 24kg bell right now, but can't manage to do warmup halos with this weight - I use 16kg for halos. Is is big of an issue and should be levelled, or am I overthinking things?

• Like 1

I am so glad you are back! Also, if you ever need anything, you have like a million ways to contact me!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Pavel has said to keep halos at 16kg

How come have I missed this? Sigh. Need to get my hands on printed S&S. I don't cooperate well with e-books.

But that's great info, thanks @Sloth the Enduring. Turns out I'm A-OK here and can happily focus on progressing with weight on squats and main part :) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, aramis said:

I won't be any different in this manner. And I'll assure you - you're not alone. Nor in being vulnerable, nor old-fashioned :) 

Great!

On a side note - can I ask you something? One thing about HS, and one about S&S (which are both your area of expertise, imo).

When I get upside down in a wall walk, breathing is weird. Hard and... unnatural...? Is is me being too nervous, it is from overly tense core or is it just normal when being inverted?

And secondly - I'm doing S&S with 24kg bell right now, but can't manage to do warmup halos with this weight - I use 16kg for halos. Is is big of an issue and should be levelled, or am I overthinking things?

@Sloth the Enduring is correct. The Halos aren't really something you're specifically trying to strengthen. They're more of a mobility prep for the Get-ups. Eventually when you have adequate mobility in your shoulders and hips you can even skip the Halos and Hip Bridges and just warm up with one set of Prying Goblet Squats then two sets of regular Goblet Squats.

Regarding the Handstand breathing, I really don't know. I 'm comfortable inverting, but not being on my hands. @raptron @Mad Hatter @WhiteGhost @@mu would be able to give you better guidance on this.

18 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I am so glad you are back! Also, if you ever need anything, you have like a million ways to contact me!

Likewise! Thanks. Let's both try to complete this one! 😅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yes handstands, following!

On 5/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, aramis said:

My 2 cents, it's normal, you will get used to it and find your pattern. Personally in HS, my breathing is usually shallower,  otherwise it affects my balance  a wee bit. I still get breathing weirdness sometimes or miscalculations, like sh** I need to breath but I'm fully compressed and I can't lol (in press exercises for instance).

What is S&S? is it KB related?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

@Aramis - Pavel has said to keep halos at 16kg even as your strength goes up, but to have goblet squats match your one arm swing.

6 hours ago, Machete said:

@Sloth the Enduring is correct. The Halos aren't really something you're specifically trying to strengthen. They're more of a mobility prep for the Get-ups. Eventually when you have adequate mobility in your shoulders and hips you can even skip the Halos and Hip Bridges and just warm up with one set of Prying Goblet Squats then two sets of regular Goblet Squats.

Wait, wait, just to make sure I'm up on it (because I've gone back to S&S for shoulder reasons), are y'all saying that in the Prying Goblet Squats that the KB you use should track with your one arm swings? Or is it just for the regular Goblet Squats? I would think it would be for the prying because if you're on your way to the new "Timeless" Sinister requirements, you've gotta get from 16->24->32 on your one arm swings, and you can't get to the quick warm up (one set Prying Goblets, two sets Goblets) without putting your time in down below. Right?

I'm also asking because I like what Prying Goblet Squats do for my biceps. >.> <.<

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/16/2020 at 2:23 AM, aramis said:

I find that I need to brace my core more than usual when inverted to keep my balance which affects my breathing.  When I was first getting started, the effect was much more noticeable but it has lessened significantly as I got more used to being on my hands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kishi you’re far more experienced than me here. I use the 16 because it’s already right there for the halos and all I care about is popping my hips open enough to keep my back happy. Also, I only swing a 20 or 24. Pavel would probably say, “Don’t be a sissy Comrade!”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, @mu said:

What is S&S? is it KB related?

Simple&SInister - a kettlebell program based on Swings and GetUps.

8 hours ago, @mu said:

my breathing is usually shallower,  otherwise it affects my balance

22 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I need to brace my core more than usual when inverted to keep my balance which affects my breathing.  When I was first getting started, the effect was much more noticeable but it has lessened significantly

Thanks for the insight. Hope it will improve for me too when I get more used to it.

P.S.

Sorry for this thread hijack... and

15 hours ago, Machete said:

Let's both try to complete this one!

I'm crossing my fingers :) 

• Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 9:23 PM, aramis said:

The advice I've always been told is to try and breathe as normally as you can. But when you're building up strength and doing foreign movements it's natural to tense up a bit. Basically what the others said.

On 5/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, Machete said:

Well I got instant-killed last challenge by a sudden bout of depression. I guess the good thing I'm getting out of this is the realization that I am not who I used to be, and that I should treat myself as a different person. I can't just skip breakfast and get abs again, or do a 40 kg TGU on a whim. That person lives only in our memories; this guy has to start from scratch.

Uggh you and me both. Except the abs part and TGU parts haha.

• Like 2

I'm drawing a 6-day blank. I've started playing Fallout 76 again, which might have something to do with it. The game is growing on me.

I think I've logged 60-70 hours of code in, which is a little under target. I think I'll have to set a schedule to fight Fallout and get an average of 7 hours a day in for the next two weeks.

• Like 4