• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bouncer_the_Lovable

Lvl 3 - Bouncer Gets a Summer Escape

In the last two years I've tried two summer jobs in my field of study (Recreation Parks and Leisure Studies). 

2018- City Landscaper (met great people, dealt with mean girl drama, really learned what its like to have a job in the dirt, learned I liked weeding- at my pace)

2019- City Zoo (great zoo, faster paced at times, again interesting social learning time, I HATE CONCRETE- feet and body just hurt)

This Year: 

20200513_121103.thumb.jpg.7b3ea65a445468acd9f100093ca09966.jpg

(Lake view of swimming/fishing area at my summer job). 

256411703_UpNorthPoem.jpg.4092cdd5dee4d5c3be12ca5086feee1c.jpg

Minnesota is known for being Northern MN, but being a few lakes away from the Canada is up there. 

It's the known place for people to escape and get a break, its known in my field as "pretty good damn thing to get on my resume". 

Where the land of the moose, black bear and wolves hang out. 

I get a summer to hang out! 

I am staying/working at a rustic camping resort (cabins and campsite for rent, along with boats). 

Yes even in crazy chaos of COVID-19, I decided to do this for sanity/career reasons. 

Goals:

Experience the SUMMER --  Just a slot of everything I'm trying, so many skill opportunties from canoeing to learning how to bbq

Allow the Quiet -- A chance to meditate and journal cannot get better than this

Observe Money -- Summer job, more to do to do but more money than usual, need to work on saving up

Maintain my Base  --- Keep picked up and clean, but also comfertable enough to relax and eat up good food

Plus -- (area of other to dos)

-Need to do some paper work that has been late... 

Edited by Bouncer_the_Lovable
rename goals and add pic
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Well, hello there. You look familiar. :) 

And your lake view looks beautiful and calming and I am very jealous.

Nice to have our paths cross again!

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Lake view goals! If that isn't a brilliant way to build a resume :) 

4 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

Such a great view and plan for summer activities! 

Thank you all! And yes perfect especially with their longer Sprung here. I ended up getting snow in my shoe during a hike yesterday because of a patch on a trail. Did see a few old moose tracks and berry bear poop. Along with butterflies and a few hawks.

Sorry for my grammar and clearness, I'm still tired and isn't going away. Not starting work till tomorrow, but unpacking my car and a few hikes tired me out again... 

But off to another long drive! I am meeting a Duluth friend my mentor recommended, met her last october. But due to drugs for pain she may not remember me. Live in the moment situation. Also an excuse to go see how much food I can stock on! Been craving meet since I realized I didn't have much. Have protein just want some good stuff too.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 5:21 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Beautiful place, and best wishes that you have an amazing summer (job) experience.

Thank you!!

Just tired as I start my midweek. Don't feel like I'm dying but after work I'm just done. Except some cleaning and unpacking. 

Need to work on drinking water after work... Since at work I drink up but am a little annoyed with how thirsty I am.... So first goal is to drink at least more than 1 water bottle at night (27 oz). 

• Like 2

So today is my Friday!!!

I have done intense things physically... But many days I've come back to my apartment showered and laid in bed for too long watching videos....

Part of is I think is with school I was 90% on screens now I'm 90% during an intense work day outdoors. I'm getting many steps and strength training everyday. 

But want to stay connected! Especially with new peeps coming by!

Trying to be easy on myself but I do want to get things organized and do some batch cooking (I hate peanut butter sandwiches and everything else takes longer and I ate my convienent food). 

Today's goal- 

- keep at work!

-take a pic.... Pretty everywhere!

-get the laundry done right away after work (its more convient now than it has been)

-pay bills I've been avoiding

-dishes and bake chicken 

Whelp that's a lot but lets see! Basically the goal of maintenance here

• Like 2

Well the to do list was questionable, but I did get other things done.... Though listing them out is interesting, things my new job has had me do or discover: 

-Hearing the thumping of the mating call of a grouse (I thought it was a moose when I heard it, terrified for myself)

-Seeing the wood that beavers prefer to build in

-Moose tracks look like double wide deer prints

-Bear scat is amusing

-Bears wreck bird feeders

-I'm the weird one that has to drink water throughtout the day, and started carrying a bag for having everything with me

-Fish for the first time in nearly ten years, found out my brother wants to be connected with me through fishing

-Rode on a simple motor boat and fished off of 

-Learned to clean and package bait leeches for sale (hands in a bucket of leeches... that can attatch but don't stuck until 15 mins after being on)

-The work here is borderline farm like (8 hour day with a 30 min lunch... I think this is the highest working job). 

-I hate making beds (hotel standards) and setting up a cabin, but know I will learn

-Been offered to stay if my classes are online

-Been offered to get my winter internship done here if I can make the paperwork work

-My mom and I really miss chatting all the time

-I have learned how to drive on an ATV (four-wheeler)

-Learned to split wood wth a machine

-Learned how to stack firewood in 6 foot high stacks

-I need to be quiet because others are just craving to be heard right now

-People aren't craving a connection, but relability

-There is little room for politics here, and politics and views can be taken a step back

-I feel heavy, and sore. But not sick like I have been. 

-Lots of growing and opportunites, but also having 

Lots of emotions right now, but this gives you an idea. For me I've been trying to pull away from youtube (allowed myself in the first week). 

Trying to get up and get sun before I start work at 8. Trying to figure out a breakfast routine. Understanding my body is being pushed at its furthest moment and I'm working through it, in a way that I can't chat with anybody here. But knowing I'm not out of my zone, I'm jumping in. They appreacite and are kind, and want to get to know me. But don't want to "connect," which for me is going to take time to learn how to just be upbeat and positive in fatigue and pain. That's why I"m here, and hopefully I'll be able to take every opportunity here. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

4 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

sounds like you are doing awesome. I can understand that its not easy, but you're doing great!!!!!! WOOOOT

Thank you!!!

I need to update somewhere these are my main goals:

-At least 15 of fun outside time daily

-15 min of mediating grounding

-15 to 60 mins of organizing cleaning  (having time to work on it, but it not taking over)

-Drink a few bottles a day and at least one vegetable

-Attempt BBQ and Kayaking before end of challenge

I found I really like kimchi on pizza yesterday, will be playing around with this!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

It's wk 3 huh... Nice part of living at your job, even if I stay in a bed a little too long I can get dressed enough AND have my bag ready to go to run the few hundred feet to meet up. 

Sunday: 

• Fun Outside: Didn't happen, I ended up collapsing into bed after my shower. Was asked to join in fishing but then they questioned if they had too many people.  I said I probably could rest, I had a four hour nap (the bugs ended up shortening the trip). 
  • Meditating: I did 10 mins in the morning, I should of done it again when I woke up at night (a lot of extra emotion rubs off oneself in the hospitatlity business). 
  • Homebase organization: I picked up quite a bit when I was siting down to write, I think it added up to 15 mins. 
  • Water? Been downing sparkling after work (apartment was hot, so drinking up when trying to get back to sleep). 
  • Vegetable? Kimchi...(my small jar almost empty since I started eating on Saturday) and Pickles. Need to make my "no tomato salsa" (forgot tomotates) and prep veggies for stir frying or if I grill. 

Side Goals: 

Kayaking: Not yet

BBQ: Need to buy a couple tools to enjoy myself, my boss brought up vegetable foil packets on fire so may do that first off with s'mores on my day off

Adding: Blah Paperwork: Stuff I've been avoiding and Need to prioritize! Brought the paper work with me, its just managing my evenings. 

Enoug to keep me busy!

For today: 

Irritation of the day, while I wrote thi post: 

Spoiler

Had another fb message from a "friend" (someone who never messages me) about a weightloss shake... 

For me know one knows whats going on in my life on FB. Most people can't wrap their head around I"m a student, jumping to different jobs with support. Yes weight gain, but first time in my life am able to understand my body to work through weight gain. 

I want to personally lose weight and be healthier, but through REAL food. And hate people are noticing my weight gain... 

While personally I'm seeing "damnit I keep doing MEGA diets while my life is changing every 3 months... and I'm terrible with transition time"

IDK I just want to rant, I personally see where I need to make changes. But also know I'm trying to feel out what my body needs as I have gone into my summer.... 

Work weather we reached 80 (F) yesterday, in an area of MN where that's "the highest of the year". I was running away from this weather... Also very dry in this corner, and HIGH risk of forest fires. We're praying for rain. Black flies are out and are minions of hell.... But only supposed to last a few weeks. I have a solid Farmer's Tan forming and had my first peeling (haven't burned this badly with sunscreen in YEARS). I'm just more exposed and less able to get sunscreened up... 

Learning a job is tough, but there is MANY perks to this place. Today the owners/bosses made up Northen pike fajitas with wild rice for dinner where we were able to chat some more. 

Was interesting, and getting the recipe (my brother has dreams... Northen Pike are the dream catch of MN). 

Yesterday one of the owners brought up a cheap way to get food once a month (expired, whats not selling in Duluth). He seemed to understand where my rants of not having a bunch of grocery shopping options and wanting to save money. $20 I can get what I want from what they have (food shelf type). Which is what I've been missing personllay. 

They've been sharing with me how they survive without going to the store (freezers, canning, gardening, hunting/fishing). Since we are remote and they are not making a lot of money (especially with them just buying a new business).  Just has me thinking of seeing food differently, a biggie for me is realizing I need to come up if not a menu plan but a menu to see upfront what I have for food. And what needs to be eaten up.. Will play around with. 

Started writing again my post-apocalyptic science fiction ish... Idk. The book is still haunting me, and has grown with me in the last 7 years. 

"Rustic Legends". 

• Like 3

That sounds like a great job. That’s an impressive list of cool new things that you’ve done.

Did the tourists start coming up yet or are you still getting ready?

We go to the discount food store on the regular. There are some great buys there and you never know what kind of weird stuff will show up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That sounds like a great job. That’s an impressive list of cool new things that you’ve done.

Did the tourists start coming up yet or are you still getting ready?

We go to the discount food store on the regular. There are some great buys there and you never know what kind of weird stuff will show up.

They were closed a little bit before I was here for COVID, but people are coming up (hotel standards here). Had quite a few cabins full for the first time this last weekend. Mid-week its dead, but we have 2 cabins staying around for this week (who are happy to see that this resort's new policies are made public and easy to understand). 

The no camping in designated areas is hitting this place hard, but rumors the state won't have camping in State Parks brings hope for them since they have private and federal campgrounds here (plus just being near the boundary waters). June 1st is going to be the question if more people turn away or come. 

Literally my boss was daydreaming of all the neat things they found and enjoyed (owners  are a married couple, where the wife watches her sugar and the husband talks about sugar just as much as I do... so I think he understood where I was at). Talked about pop and ice cream after a lunch break. 

Also I forgot to say the owners have a very friendly golden retriever, that loves having two new people to give him love. So almost daily I've had dog pets with my favorite coworker, and stolen some hugs and cuddles. Seeing a breed  hunting dog has been intriguing also, chipmunks and rabbits have to be careful around him (which with people feeding chipmunks with bird seed, I don't see as a bad thing). 

• Like 3

Wow, that list of things you've learned, and that they've offered that you could stay through summer/winter if things work out, is amazing! I would love to spend my time learning about the animals and nature like you are doing. Enjoy it!

Lol, and yes, with hospitality comes a lot of extra baggage and emotions. Just "let it go!" if you can.

And I'm not going to comment on that 'fb friend's' comment, other than to say... let it go! especially when it comes from someone who doesn't frequently contacts you. Do your thing. Figure out what works for you, and go with it.

Glad that you made friends with the Golden Retriever. Sounds like you are working really hard, but having a good time, and are in good company. All the best.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the support you were trying to give me. 

Last Wednesday after a one month review I decided to move back home, the job wasn't a right fit for me. 

I had put in my 100% at work and struggled to take care of myself after work.  This was the one job I had tried my best at and floundered, and when they brought up their requirements I felt sick. It was an agreed quiting on both sides. I wish it would be different, but at the same time I've been waking up relieved to be not working there.

Not resume worthy work, however a lot of learning on what type of jobs don't match with me.  It defiently gave me the idea that being an "outfitter" or "survivalist" probably isn't in the cards eiter. 

Idk, I say I followed through with this challenge because I went through a boot camp/summer class that left me mentally and physcially like Jello. This last weekend was mostly rest, and relieved I have two men to vent to (to be step-dad and bf). I am in the cities until Wednesday, and return to the Janitor job Thursday back at home (they literally hired me back when I emailed them that I needed a job, and are willing to help give me summer hours). 

Weightloss wise, I had lost quite a bit of weight. From walking and body moving (lots of lifting and moving were around cleaning or moving wood). And probably more but I'm blanking.  One thing I did notice was my appetite changed, with being in nature and just more active. Still crazy sweet tooth, but the weight was peeling off. 

So lots of walking coming up and writing... Will move to the adventures. Just where "walking" and "getting into nature" seem to fit. While I passively figure out yoga again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bouncer_the_Lovable said:

Not resume worthy work, however a lot of learning on what type of jobs don't match with me. 

This is actually a very good thing and something that I wish everyone was forced to learn early in life. Remember this learning and apply it diligently to all future career decisions, and you will be happier for it in the end. :)

Now I'm going to go check out your next challenge!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While it sucks that this particular opportunity didn’t work out, its awesome that you’ve gotten such a learning experience! Second @Scalyfreak - you’re in a ‘no harm no foul’ stage of life, and it’s immensely valuable that you’ve gone out, pushed yourself, learned a ton, and are no worse for wear. Well done! 

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, Scalyfreak said:

This is actually a very good thing and something that I wish everyone was forced to learn early in life. Remember this learning and apply it diligently to all future career decisions, and you will be happier for it in the end. :)

3 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

While it sucks that this particular opportunity didn’t work out, its awesome that you’ve gotten such a learning experience! Second @Scalyfreak - you’re in a ‘no harm no foul’ stage of life, and it’s immensely valuable that you’ve gone out, pushed yourself, learned a ton, and are no worse for wear. Well done! 

Thank you both, you had also reminded me that finding the job I like is going to ttake awhile. I really need to take note what works and what doesn't . Especially since I'll be applying for an internship this 2021, hope to find something that will teach me a lot but also within my range of "I got this or I'll put in my 100%". 

Aww the leveling up in careers! Sometimes plot twists!

• Like 1