• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Hero of Time

The Hero of Time makes lists, keeps writing... and looks for treasure in the graveyard

The Hero of Time calms restless souls. Spoilers for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:

Spoiler

As I return to the previous chamber, the low, melancholic chant reverberates through my body. Navi's light catches a few of the closest ReDeads and I make sure to stay at a distance. For a moment, I catch myself disbelieving that music really could affect these creatures, but then I remember the way the storm gathered in response to Zelda's Lullaby.

Bringing the ocarina to my lips, I play the remembered notes. The echoes provide accompaniment. I can't help but allow an expectant smile to form as the cheerful notes cut through the mournful chants. As the echoes of the tune fade, I am engulfed with silence. The nearby ReDeads are even more still, utterly motionless, like monuments to tortured souls. Sword in hand, I creep past. They remain frozen in place.

As I climb out of the tomb, my fingers barely able to grip the muddy stones, twilight hangs over this residence of the dead. Rain is falling. Standing in the downpour, breathing in the fresh air, I hold my arms wide, allowing my tunic to become soaked. The air is cool but I want nothing more than to wash away the stench of the grave.

Before I start shivering, I start towards the graveyard's exit. However, one tombstone grabs my attention. It looks as if it's been moved at some point, with grooves visible in the ground. Grasping the corners, I dig my heels into the grass. Sure enough, it starts to slide. Soon, I am staring into the muddy entrance of a rather more humble tomb. I ask myself whether I really want to face the oppression of the grave once more. Lying on the wet grass, I hold my head over the hole. I don't hear the dreaded chanting. I have found one treasure in this graveyard. Could there be another?

All characters owned by Nintendo

• Like 2

The previous two challenges haven't gone terribly well. I've lacked structure and motivation. For that reason I've been reading some of my earlier challenges and, thankfully, been reminded of some of their success. I aim to make this challenge more like those... even though I'm starting late. Right, let's have some quests.

Quest 1: make lists

I like the way @Salinger makes lists and crosses things off, and I'm going to copy it. Having a task-list helps me to focus on one thing at once, to remember just how much I've got to do, to mark something as complete and move on to the next thing, and to realize just how much I've done. It's not unusual for me to berate myself for accomplishing only one task, then to go to my list and find that I'm actually able to tick off four items.

I want to make a task list for each day and then cross off the things I've completed. The quest here is to make the lists. It does not depend upon how many of the tasks I tick off. The quest also covers making other lists--things I need to do for longer-term tasks, or just things in general that I have to remember.

Quest 2: finish two stories

These are the stories I was trying to finish during the previous challenge. I'm determined to do so during this one. I've had more story-writing success when I've given myself weekly targets. I intend to do so again.

Quest 3: make Docker images

This is the technical project that was partially responsible for the derailment of the previous challenge. My way to deal with this is to bring it under the purview of the challenge. I'm making these images for use in a Single Board Computer cluster and I'm sharing them with the world. They're starting to gain some popularity. This is something that I love doing but my hope is that they may also generate a little income by way of  donations.

Quest 4: rig the Blender Link character, give him a walk cycle, and use that animation within Godot

This is an extension of the quest I didn't manage to finish in the previous challenge.

Quest 5: improve my strength-training form

During this quest I'm going to concentrate on improving my form rather than increasing the weight on my dumbbells. During bicep and hammer curls, I have a bad habit of bending my knees and leaning back a bit. My aim is to eradicate that.

I used a version of Jarric's ziggurat during the previous challenge. That is great for building habits but doesn't align perfectly with my objective-based challenges. I'm going to adapt it a bit further. The most important quest is story-writing. If I don't complete that quest, then I won't score any points for this challenge.

I intend to keep using the likes of mindfulness but it doesn't get a quest of its own this time around.

• Like 3

Today's list, most of which has already been done:

- [X] make lists
- [X] feed birds
- [X] feed hedgehog
- [X] write challenge starting story
- [X] post new challenge's quests
- [  ] find more options for allowing donations (for Docker image work)
- [  ] work on invoicing script

The work I did to rescue a server, earlier today, didn't make it onto the list.

• Like 3

Update

I aim to give daily updates for this challenge. The routine and discipline help me to achieve a higher degree of success in these challenges.

Yesterday's list [6/7]

• ☑ make lists
  • ☑ feed birds
  • ☑ feed hedgehog
  • ☑ write challenge starting story
  • ☑ post new challenge's quests
  • ☑ find more options for allowing donations (for Docker image work)
  • ☐ work on invoicing script

I should have mentioned yesterday that I wasn't going to do my strength training because I cut my hand opening a tin of sardines. It's nothing serious but I don't want to open the wound by lifting dumbbells.

Finding options to allow donations was more involved than I expected. For each, I need to check terms, fees, assess whether the organization seems trustworthy, look at the user experience, etc. Cryptocurrency also seems like an option. I'll have to look into that some more today. The fact that was so involved meant that I didn't have time to work on the invoicing script.

Exercise

As mentioned, I didn't do my strength training yesterday. However, I did do it on Monday and I did my Interval Training yesterday. Numbers for Monday:

15.3kg reps (to failure)

Cn = Circuit n

BC = bicep curls, HC = hammer curls, CP = chest presses

## 20200511 ##

15.3kg each

|    | BC | HC | CP |
|----|----|----|----|
| C1 | 08 |    | 29 |
| C2 |    | 08 | 24 |

I've reduced my strength-training to two circuits. It was just taking up too much of my evening. I'm not sure how much of an impact that will have.

The numbers for the curls are low because I was concentrating on improving my form. I did keep catching myself bending my knees and leaning backwards, but it was better than usual.

Today's list [0/6]

• ☐ daily challenge update
  • ☐ feed birds
  • ☐ feed hedgehog
  • ☐ find more options for allowing donations (for Docker image work)
  • ☐ write

Instead of strength-training yesterday, I went for a walk with my wife. Somehow I seem to have strained something in my big toe, so I won't be doing my Interval Training tonight. Not a great start for my exercise regime during this challenge.

I'm wondering whether the wild hedgehog that lives in our garden may have young. It's eating twice as much of the food we put out for it, even though there are plenty of critters around in the garden for it to eat. It's gratifying to see the wild birds take food from our feeders directly to their fledglings that are waiting nearby.

The corvids have sent in their jackdaw troops. They eat from the fat ball feeders, taking more than their fair share and scaring the other birds away. My response so far has been to chase them away when I see them, but I need a more effective battle strategy.

• Like 2

Week 1, day 4 summary - May 14th

I moved away from having day numbers in the titles because I kept messing them up. However, they help to keep me grounded and organized so I've gone back to them. If I mess them up then... edit button FTW!

Yesterday's list [4/6]

• ☑ daily challenge update
  • ☑ feed birds
  • ☑ feed hedgehog
  • ☑ find more options for allowing donations (for Docker image work)
  • ☐ write

The donation options continue to be more involved than I anticipated. However, I came across donorbox which provides many features in one. I'm going to use that for normal currencies. I tried to find something similar for cryptocurrencies, but it just seems easier to create my own wallets and provide links. I'm in the process of doing that and making link buttons with a consistent look.

Again, I didn't work on the invoicing script. I really do want to look at that today. Also, I didn't write, which is disappointing.

Today's list [1/7]
  • ☐ finish creating crypto wallets
  • ☐ add the new donate links
  • ☐ create weekly targets for challenge
  • ☐ write
  • ☐ some strength-training

I'll do the exercises from my strength-training routine that don't put strain on my toe. I think my hand has healed enough to lift dumbbells.

• Like 1

Glad the hedgehog and birds are still thriving. With winter setting in here, it's mostly the monkeys that come around to eat, but this morning we saw a black collared barbet (rooikop houtkapper).

image.png.b5a2bdb624c88baa94521915554135bb.png

Hope you'll be able to catch up on writing in this coming week, and working on lifting form is always a good thing.

• Like 1

Week 1, day 5 summary - May 15th

Friday's list [5/7]

• ☑ finish creating crypto wallets
  • ☑ add the new donate links
  • ☑ work on invoicing script
  • ☐ write
  • ☑ some strength-training

I did as much as I set out to do with the crypto wallets and the donation links. I'm pretty sure I'll come back to that because I don't think the layout is as tidy as it should be. I did some work on the invoicing script. I managed to do about half my exercises from my strength-training routine, but didn't write down the numbers. I was reasonably happy with my hammer curl form but my bicep curl form still needs more work.

I didn't write. I'm going to have to do something about that this week. I didn't create the weekly targets for this challenge--I need to do that today if I'm going to get the benefit.

I had the idea of creating a logo for myself. The main purpose being to avoid having to use the default avatar on the likes of Github and Docker Hub. It makes my work a little more recognizable and just adds a sense of professionalism. It started off as an idea just to have something basic but, of course, my perfectionism kicked in and I've spent most of the weekend watching Youtube videos on how to create a good logo. Thankfully, my wife is creative and she's helped me to develop one of my ideas. In fact, she drew something this morning that's very good; she says she saw it in a dream. The logo work is going to form part of my Docker Images quest, although it has wider uses.

Today's list [1/7]

• ☐ schedule time-boxes
  • ☐ write
  • ☐ work on logo

My toe still isn't right, even though I managed to do two walks over the weekend. I haven't yet decided how much of my strength-training routine I'm going to do.

Time-boxes were helpful in my earlier challenges so I'm going to start using them again.

I'm determined to do some writing today.

• Like 2

Weekly targets

Week 2

1. lists: create a list of future steps (stretching beyond this challenge) for the Docker images work
  2. stories: finish the first story
  3. Docker images: make a logo
  4. Blender character: get pressure sensitivity working with my tablet
  5. strength-training form: get back to doing the full routine

Week 3

1. create a list of targets for story writing (I want to approach this more methodically)
  2. write at least half of the second story
  3. create an unofficial Debian package for one of my Docker image's applications and its dependencies
  4. create a walk-cycle for the Blender character
  5. achieve more than the minimum number of reps while concentrating on form

Week 4

1. create a list of targets for game-development (for a methodical approach)
  2. finish the second story
  3. modify Docker image to use my Debian package and test
  4. use the character's walk-cycle in Godot
  5. eliminate any unnecessary movements when doing curls

Week 5

1. create a list of tasks that need to be done but are not covered by any of these quests
  2. after proof-reading, submit the stories to on-line publications
  3. submit bug-fixes to upstream Docker images
  4. use blending between animations (walk and rest)
  5. increase reps but don't introduce unnecessary movements

Today's list [2/7]

• ☑ create weekly targets for challenge
• ☐ schedule time-boxes
• ☐ write
• ☐ work on logo

I can tick off the weekly targets task.

• Like 1

Time-boxes

Right, with other things that I have to do today, it looks as if I can have the following time-boxes:

• invoicing script: 0.5 hours
  • logo: 0.5 hours
  • writing: 1 hour

Today's list [3/7]

• ☑ schedule time-boxes
• ☐ write
• ☐ work on logo

That's another one ticked off.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 9:22 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

this morning we saw a black collared barbet (rooikop houtkapper).

That's definitely more colourful than most of the birds we get. Though it does remind me of a woodpecker and Wikipedia suggests it's a similar size. When the woodpeckers are particularly desperate for food, they will come to our feeders.

With winter setting in here...

It can't seem to decide which season it is here. Last weekend, when I went for a walk on the Saturday, I wished I was just in shorts. When I went for a walk on the Sunday, I had to come back to the house for a coat and hat because it was so cold.

Hope you'll be able to catch up on writing in this coming week

*Psyches himself up* I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna do it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I love lists. 

I've seen photos of some of your lists on your threads. They're so neat! I'm not even that neat in my dreams.

Yes I have.. i have trouble choosing a topic though

Do you feel that you have to choose a topic?

It would be a three book series

That sounds exciting. May I ask the genre?

Week 2, day 1 summary - May 18th

Task list [7/7]

• ☑ schedule time-boxes
• ☑ write
• ☑ work on logo
• ☑ some strength-training

I ticked off the whole list. I'm pleased with that.

The work on the logo was good but not great. It looks a bit amateurish atm. I did some writing; I didn't manage the full hour and it didn't feel as if it was enough. However, I'm reasonably pleased with the mood of the scene. I managed to do a bit more of my strength-training routine than last time. My Hammer Curl form is definitely improving. I still move around too much with the Bicep Curls.

Today's list [1/4]

• ☐ work on invoicing script (1 hour time-box)
• ☐ write (2 hour time-box)
• ☐ work on logo (1 hour time-box)

I don't want to aggravate my toe, so I won't be doing my Interval Training. I may go for a walk.

It's raining and rather cool today. I'm hoping it dries up if I decide to go for a walk.

My sleep hygiene hasn't been great recently. If I've been working on something tricky, I've had a bad habit of looking up a tutorial just before going to sleep. Last night, I lay awake designing logos in my head. I like what I came up with but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to make something that matches my imagination. It remains the case that I should have been sleeping.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, The Hero of Time said:

Though it does remind me of a woodpecker and Wikipedia suggests it's a similar size.

It does peck at wood. It's Afrikaans name is woodpecker - houtkapper (wood chopper directly translated).

On 5/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, The Hero of Time said:

It can't seem to decide which season it is here. Last weekend, when I went for a walk on the Saturday, I wished I was just in shorts. When I went for a walk on the Sunday, I had to come back to the house for a coat and hat because it was so cold.

Here too. We have three seasons in a day. Our early mornings and late afternoons (into evenings) are coolish to cold. During the day hours though it is warm, between 23-27C most of the time. But we also have a cool breeze that blows in every now and again, which always catches us unawares. So we just layer clothing, or keep it close at hand.

Good luck with your toe. I hope it gets better soon, and you can walk properly.

• Like 1

Week 2, day 2 - May 19th

Task list [4/4]

• ☑ write
• ☑ work on logo

I managed to tick everything off again.

The writing went well. I didn't quite manage the two hours, but I'm pleased with what I came up with. I've had the scene in my head for a while now and it played out pretty much the way I wanted. I should remember to go through and give my characters some ticks or mannerisms, though, just to give them some more life. The next scene is a bit more tricky. I know how I want it to end but I don't have a clear idea of how they get there.

I'm pleased with how things went with the logo. I was able to take the idea I had (which was a development of my wife's idea) and got it down pretty much the way I wanted. It looks much less amateurish. I was using Inkscape 0.92 and found a bug when combining paths--the resulting path would jump a little to the left. However, I downloaded an AppImage of version 1.0 and that works just fine. I keep seeing little details in the logo that I want to improve. I keep questioning whether it's just my perfectionism but it is the little details that add that professional look. I want to work on some of those today.

It should be noted that I have previously labelled myself as 'not creative' and, therefore, would have concluded that I wouldn't be able to make a decent logo. It's only through these challenges that I'm learning to challenge my own preconceptions and push the boundaries of what I think I can do.

Today's list [1/8]

• ☐ re-balance SIPP
• ☐ re-balance ISA
• ☐ attempt to compile kernel module for tablet pressure-sensitivity
• ☐ write (1 hour time-box)
• ☐ strength-training

I think I'm going to be pushed to fit all that in. I've already taken an item off the list that I wanted to do today. I'm hoping my toe has improved enough for me to do my whole strength-training routine. We'll see.

Edited by The Hero of Time
Added strength-training to list; added day number to title.

17 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

It does peck at wood. It's Afrikaans name is woodpecker - houtkapper (wood chopper directly translated).

Its beak looks rather more powerful than our woodpeckers. Does it peck at the wood in order to find food, like ours do?

Here too. We have three seasons in a day.

By the time I went for my walk it was sunny and warm. It's started off sunny and really warm today (okay, not your kind of warm). Who knows what it will be like later. I know there's a lot of rain forecast for later in the week. That's kinda the nature of summer here, though.

Good luck with your toe. I hope it gets better soon

Thank you. It's mostly been okay unless I put weight on it in a particular way. I'm going to try doing my full strength-training routing tonight and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Week 2, day 3 - May 20th

Task list [8/8]

• ☑ re-balance SIPP
• ☑ re-balance ISA
• ☑ attempt to compile kernel module for tablet pressure-sensitivity
• ☑ work on invoicing script (1 hour time-box)
• ☑ write (1 hour time-box)
• ☑ work on logo (1 hour time-box)
• ☑ strength-training

Despite yesterday's doubts, I managed to do everything on the list.

The writing was okay. The scene felt a bit slow, but I think that's okay because it's between two intense scenes. I'll see how it feels when reading it through again.

I compiled the kernel module for the pressure-sensitivity. As yet, I've been unable to confirm that it works.

The time-box for working on the invoicing script got squashed, but I did a bit.

The work on the logo went reasonably well. I downloaded some tools to help with applying Colour Theory to my choice of colours. I'm not entirely happy with those choices so far, though.

My toe started playing up during the day so I didn't do my full strength-training routine. The exercises I included went pretty well, though, and I increased the reps on a number of them. I still intend to do my full routine on Friday.

Today's list [1/7]

• ☐ order protein powder (going to the shops for this is troublesome so
  I have to remember to order it on-line)
• ☐ see whether I can apply for Self-Employment Income Support Scheme
  (help from the gov. to deal with the impact of COVID-19)
• ☐ test tablet pressure-sensitivity
• ☐ write (1 hour time-box)

With the writing, I'm going to try to get the final scene down, leaving some time for review tomorrow. With the logo, I want to finalize the colours and experiment with negative-space versions.

• Like 2

Week 2, day 4 - May 21st

Task list [5/7]

• ☑ order protein powder (going to the shops for this is troublesome so  I have to remember to order it on-line)
• ☐ see whether I can apply for Self-Employment Income Support Scheme  (help from the gov. to deal with the impact of COVID-19)
• ☑ test tablet pressure-sensitivity
• ☑ write (1 hour time-box)
• ☑ work on logo (1 hour time-box)

The tablet pressure-sensitivity works in Krita at least. I haven't yet tested it in Blender but it should work there too.

I worked for longer than an hour on the logo. It was so close to being ready that I just kept going. I finalized the colours, even made a gradient-colour version, and uploaded it to Gravatar. I'll start to use it in other places too. I have some more ideas to refine it, but they'll have to wait for another challenge. I like what I've got.

I wrote. I didn't get all the way through the final scene. However, I like some of the ideas I had and I think it's coming together.

The time-box for working on the invoicing script got squeezed out and I didn't enquire about the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme. I may do the latter on the weekend.

I can cross off two items from this week's targets.

Week 2 targets

1. ☐ lists: create a list of future steps (stretching beyond this  challenge) for the Docker images work
2. ☐ stories: finish the first story
3. ☑ Docker images: make a logo
4. ☑ Blender character: get pressure sensitivity working with my tablet
5. ☐ strength-training form: get back to doing the full routine

Today's list [1/5]

• ☐ write (2 hour time-box) (finish the story)
• ☐ create a list of future steps (stretching beyond this challenge) for the Docker images work
• ☐ full strength-training routine

The weather made it particularly difficult to sleep last night. It was so warm that we had to have the windows open. However, it was also really windy and doors kept banging throughout the house and waking me up.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, The Hero of Time said:

Its beak looks rather more powerful than our woodpeckers. Does it peck at the wood in order to find food, like ours do?

Yip, it does. It mainly eats fruits, but also insects. It pecks on the bark to find 'hollow' spaces where there might be worms, etc. It is that knocking/pecking action and sound that usually draws our attention. That is when we notice it. Then we also have the crested barbet. We also have this Hoopoe that comes to visit. Some people think it is part of the woodpecker family, but I don't think it is. It has a long thin beak which it uses to get insects out of holes in the ground or trees.

image.png.f75de3ed2a1b8741143428f4524fd5f0.png

On 5/21/2020 at 1:03 PM, The Hero of Time said:

Despite yesterday's doubts, I managed to do everything on the list.

Sounds like that was a good day! Hope yesterday and today worked out just as well.

Good luck on that job/income support application.

Yesterday was a Bank Holiday, so I took the day off.

Week 2, day 5 - May 22nd

Task list [5/5]

• ☑ work on invoicing script (1 hour time-box)
• ☑ write (2 hour time-box) (finish the story)
• ☑ create a list of future steps (stretching beyond this challenge) for
  the Docker images work
• ☑ full strength-training routine

I got the whole story down. It's definitely not a final draught (there are still notes telling me to look at the thesaurus) but the whole of the story-line's there. The thesaurus will have to wait until week 5.

I made a list of Docker image tasks but they're stuck on my phone atm.

Exercise

15.3kg reps (to failure)

Cn = Circuit n

## 20200522 ##

15.3kg each

|    | BC | HC | CP |
|----|----|----|----|
| C1 | 06 |    | 30 |
| C2 |    | 09 | 28 |

I was strict about my bicep curl form and the reps suffered. I may have to drop a bit of weight to perfect my form and build back up. I'll try again with this weight tomorrow.

Today's list [1/4]

- [X] daily challenge update
- [ ] write (second story)
- [ ] fix NextCloud locked files
- [ ] Interval Training

Today's list is fairly short because I've got other things going on.

• Like 1

The NVME drive that holds my operating system is giving up on me and keeps giving me errors. I've been making backups of what I can and trying to arrange a replacement. This has distracted me from the challenge.

I did do my strength-training yesterday.

15.3kg reps (to failure)

Cn = Circuit n

## 20200527 ##

15.3kg each

|    | BC | HC | CP |
|----|----|----|----|
| C1 | 05 |    | 30 |
| C2 |    | 09 | 28 |

My bicep-curl reps are too low when I'm concentrating on form. I'll remove some weight for Friday's workout and get the form right before building back up again.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 3:48 PM, The Hero of Time said:

My bicep-curl reps are too low when I'm concentrating on form. I'll remove some weight for Friday's workout and get the form right before building back up again.

That's a good plan.

• Like 1

Week 3 summary

So, my failing NVME disc completely threw me off and I lost focus on the challenge. That sort of panic doesn't help me and it shouldn't have happened. I've arranged things so that very little is written to that disc so it should limp along. I've ordered a new one which should arrive on Wednesday.

I didn't do any writing. I didn't make a list of targets for story writing. I do find it difficult to write and be creative when I'm stressed out.

I got a lot of the way through making a unofficial Debian packages for one of my Docker image's applications and its dependencies. I need to make a repository for those packages. I copied over, from my phone, the list of steps I made (in week 2) for Docker images work:

• Image for creating Debian packages

• Create unofficial Debian repo

• Become a Debian developer

• Automate update process for new releases

• Test images on amd64

• Find or create image for groupware

• Find or create image for search engine

• Find or create image for home automation

• Got it all to work with let's encrypt

• Include Ubuntu packages in the repo; test them

• Find or create VPN image

• Create projects and fundraising goals for those projects

• Make sure that upstream Docker image licences are clear

I didn't do anything on the Blender character.

I didn't achieve more than the minimum number of reps (bicep and hammer curls) while concentrating on form. I did decrease the weight on my dumbbells so that I could do a better job of concentrating on form. Here are the numbers from Friday:

14.3kg reps (to failure)

Cn = Circuit n

## 20200529 ##

14.3kg each

|    | BC | HC | CP |
|----|----|----|----|
| C1 | 08 |    | 32 |
| C2 |    | 09 | 26 |