The Hero of Time makes lists, keeps writing... and looks for treasure in the graveyard

New targets for week 4

Lots of things have happened that make the original list of targets obsolete. The disc issues caused carnage to week 3. Also, there have been upstream releases for the applications covered by my Docker images--I'm going to pivot the plan and work on making new Docker image releases. The more popular of my Docker images now has over 12,000 downloads so I want to keep up the level of activity on this.

1. create a list of targets for story writing (I want to approach this more methodically)
  2. write most of the second story
  3. use my new logo in documentation for Docker images, update colours in badges to match logo, add changelogs, update to use new application versions, test, release
  4. create a walk-cycle for the Blender character
  5. achieve more than the minimum number of bicep curl reps while concentrating on form

Today's list [1/6]

• ☑ challenge update
• ☐ Docker images: work on badge colours
• ☐ Docker images: upload logo to personal hosting
• ☐ work on invoicing script
• ☐ write (1 hour time-box)
• ☐ strength training

Current Challenge: More treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

Week 4, day 1 summary - Jun 1st

Task list [6/6]

• ☑ challenge update
• ☑ Docker images: work on badge colours
• ☑ Docker images: upload logo to personal hosting
• ☑ work on invoicing script
• ☑ write (1 hour time-box)
• ☑ strength training

It felt good to get back into the swing of things and put work in across all those topics. When it comes to writing, I still wonder whether my perfectionism is getting the best of me. I spent a fair bit of time researching the intricacies of windmill sails.

Strength training

14.3kg reps (to failure)

Cn = Circuit n

BC = bicep curls, HC = hammer curls, CP = chest presses

## 20200601 ##

14.3kg each

|    | BC | HC | CP |
|----|----|----|----|
| C1 | 09 |    | 35 |
| C2 |    | 10 | 31 |

I think the movement on my 9th bicep curl was borderline.

Today's list [1/8]

• ☑ challenge update
• ☐ Docker images: fix DNS issues with my personal hosting
• ☐ Docker images: use personal logo in README
• ☐ Docker images: use upstream logos in README
• ☐ Docker images: finish updating badge colours
• ☐ write (1 hour time-box)
• ☐ interval training

• Like 1

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:04 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

We also have this Hoopoe that comes to visit. Some people think it is part of the woodpecker family, but I don't think it is. It has a long thin beak which it uses to get insects out of holes in the ground or trees.

Our woodpeckers seem to prefer black and white for some reason:

220px-Greater_Spotted_Woodpecker_(415540

Their beaks look a bit boring compared with the Barbet and the Hoopoe.

We do get some colour in the form of blue tits:

220px-Eurasian_blue_tit_Lancashire.jpg

They like to sneak on to our feeders when there are no other birds around (they're tiny).

The long-tailed tits like our trees but they're not here yet:

220px-Long_tailed_Tit_on_a_washing_line_ .

They'll all turn up at once (they're tinier) and make a fair bit of noise. Then they'll all disappear again just as quickly.

The raven seems to have outwitted me again. The elastic band keeps the feeder on the feeding station. However, it's learnt how to grip onto the feeding station and stretch out so it can get to the suet cake. I need a new plan. Perhaps I should read The Art of War...

• Like 1

___

___

I am so impressed by the daily updates- picking them back up after things went of the rails for a bit is hard and you did it. Keep going :) 

On 5/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, The Hero of Time said:

I've seen photos of some of your lists on your threads. They're so neat! I'm not even that neat in my dreams.

Do you feel that you have to choose a topic?

That sounds exciting. May I ask the genre?

it’s just my normal handwriting, I don’t try to make it neat 🤷‍♀️ 
the genre would be fantasy!

and well.. yes! Before starting to write you need to at least know what you’ll be writing about right?

How has sleep been going? I am similar to you in that I will do entire projects in my head. Maybe a perfectionist thing? Definitely doesn’t help with sleep though.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 6/2/2020 at 1:00 PM, The Hero of Time said:

Our woodpeckers seem to prefer black and white for some reason:

Camouflage for colder, greyer climate?

They'll all turn up at once (they're tinier) and make a fair bit of noise. Then they'll all disappear again just as quickly.

They are beautiful! That reminds me of the birds that frequent my m.i.l.'s bird feeder. She lives far away from us (10 hours' drive), in a colder more mountainous region. I just call the birds "brown jaloppies" because they are tiny brown, 'boring' birds. But they flock together, make a huge noise (for their size), and basically chase the other birds away. Except for the doves. They can only be chased by a predatory bird. Doves are cheeky.

We sometimes in spring and early summer, get "glasogies" (glass eyes directly translated), and a tiny little sunbird (nectar feeder).

Glasogie: Cape White-eye

image.png.5911e51c1ae69b95b9c8a69526aa83dc.png

Greater double collard sunbird: but I've only seen it a handful of times in the twenty years I've lived here.

image.thumb.png.516f0bb03fddc6830bb3832a1ec9623d.png

The raven seems to have outwitted me again. The elastic band keeps the feeder on the feeding station. However, it's learnt how to grip onto the feeding station and stretch out so it can get to the suet cake. I need a new plan. Perhaps I should read The Art of War...

:D You are definitely going to have to up your game.

Otherwise how is your challenge going on?

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

On 6/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Camouflage for colder, greyer climate?

You could be right. Although, we do have Green Woodpeckers:

220px-European_green_woodpecker_(Picus_v

...and the likes of Kingfishers:

640px-Ein_Eisvogel_im_Schwebflug.jpg

I've never seen a Kingfisher. I wish I could.

Greater double collard sunbird

That looks amazing. A lot like a hummingbird. I don't think we can compete with that sort of colour.

Otherwise how is your challenge going on?

Unfortunately, the challenge was paused. The new NVME drive arrived and I spent a few days reinstalling the OS and recovering what data I could from backups. I'll have to reassess my challenge objectives for this week.

___

___

Update

So, the new NVME drive arrived on Wednesday last week. Essentially, I spent the rest of the week re-installing the OS (the notes I left in The Great Deku Tree were invaluable) and recovering data from backups. I discovered I'd run out of printer ink so I had to order some more before I could print a return label for the faulty drive. Also, I discovered that two of my USB ports are faulty. That meant that the first installation media that I burnt to USB sticks didn't work. Anyway, things are in a functional state now. I have a list of more things to do:

TODO odysseus [8/15]

• ☑ install kernel 5.5
• ☑ compile graphics tablet module for new kernel
• ☐ re-create user accounts for grandkids
• ☑ rename "home" logical volume (it does more than that now)
• ☑ rename "home" subvolumes
• ☑ create "fast-storage" subvolume on NVME drive
• ☑ give "fast-storage" subvolume a quota
• ☑ migrate configurations
• ☑ migrate across data from old system's /var
• ☐ make i3 start cloud clients automatically
• ☐ buy a gigabit-capable wifi-router to use as switch in office (ebay)
• ☐ make i3 look better
• ☐ buy gigabit-capable (cat8?) ethernet cable that will stretch from
  switch in office, through the kitchen, to the broadband router.
• ☐ buy trunking for the cable
• ☐ install the trunking and cable (taking note of Wife Acceptability
  Factor)

Odysseus is the name of the computer. You can see that I've been working on the list already.

Working on the computer took over the time I would normally spend exercising. However, I did lift a lot of concrete blocks while working in the garden on Saturday. That, in combination with spending a lot of time detaching and attaching pipes under the upstairs toilet yesterday, has resulted in my back becoming quite sore. I don't know whether my back needs strengthening, or there was something wrong with my lifting technique on Saturday, but I could barely move yesterday evening. I certainly won't be doing my Interval Training tonight and exercise for the rest of the week looks doubtful.

I haven't done any writing since last Tuesday. Nor have I done any work on the Blender character. I have done some work on the Docker images and I'm testing some updates today. I don't yet know what objectives I may have for the rest of the week.

___

___

Week 5, day 2 summary - Jun 9th

I didn't have a list for yesterday. Nevertheless, I did manage to work on the following:

• writing
  • invoicing script
  • Docker images

I didn't do any exercise. My back was too bad even to go shopping. I can't really see me doing my strength-training tonight.

Right, let's make a list for today:

Today's list [1/6]

• ☑ challenge update
• ☐ Docker images: add changelogs to READMEs
• ☐ Docker images: add new crypto-donation options to READMEs
• ☐ Docker images: upload new image releases
• ☐ write

There's a feeling of pointlessness to this challenge, now. I made the rule that I wouldn't score any points unless I met my writing objectives and I know it's impossible to do that now. I'll keep going, nevertheless.

___

___

Week 5, day 3 summary - Jun 10th

Task list [4/6]

• ☑ challenge update
• ☑ Docker images: add changelogs to READMEs
• ☑ Docker images: add new crypto-donation options to READMEs
• ☑ Docker images: upload new image releases
• ☐ write

The Docker images took over the day and there was quite a lot involved. I got that done but nothing else. My back still hasn't recovered enough to do Interval Training tonight but we'll see how I am tomorrow. It's just possible I might be able to do a walk tonight.

Today's list [4/6]

• ☑ challenge update
• ☐ write

• Like 1

___

___

Week 5, days 4 & 5 summary - Jun 11th & 12th

On Thursday, I worked on the invoicing script and did a little bit of writing. On Friday, I worked on the invoicing script but didn't do any writing.

I was supposed to come up with a list of future steps for writing, but I haven't done this yet. I'll try to do that during Zero Week.

• Like 1

___

___

Whole challenge summary

This challenge started well, but it went off the rails when I had a hard disc failure.

Getting back into the habit of making daily updates helped. Making lists helped. The weekly targets helped. It looked as if I was going to repeat the success of early challenges. Dealing with the hard disc issue just took too much time and focus. I'm sure I could have coped with that better; it's something I'll have to work on.

In any case, I decided at the beginning of the challenge that I wouldn't get any points if I didn't complete my writing quests. I didn't do that so I don't get any points for this challenge.

It wasn't, however, a resounding failure. I did make lists. I did make reasonable progress with the stories. I did some good work with the Docker images (the most popular of which now has 23,000 downloads), I did improve my strength-training form. I need to remind myself of those successes when I look back at this challenge.

___

___

The Hero of Time finds little reward. Spoilers for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time:

Spoiler

As I climb into this humble tomb, rivulets of rain rush down the muddy walls, finding my fingers and then running down my arms. When I recount the tale of my triumphant quest, this may be a detail I leave out. Decay assaults my nostrils as my feet touch the stone floor and I draw my sword. The last time I encountered this stench, I had almost lost my life in the embrace of the undead. Barely breathing, I listen for their mournful chant. Nothing. There is only the sound of the rain falling above and dripping into the chamber.

Navi's light touches the walls either side. Much smaller than the royal grave. Sword in hand, I take one step forward. As she moves with me, Navi's light does not reveal any terrifying creatures, and I relax a little. Step by step, I reach the far end of the chamber. No monster tries to crush the life from my body. No bats try to tangle their leathery wings in my blond locks. The only assault is from the fetor of death. The only thing I find is a wooden chest. What an odd thing to place in a tomb.

As my fingers grip the cold, dark metal that edges the wooden lid, I note the box's humble appearance. Oh well, I've come this far; I might as well find out what's inside. The corroded hinges resist, their creaks echoing from the stone walls, taking on a note of expectation. What could lie within?

A rupee. A single rupee. What can I buy with a single rupee? Half a slice of bread? I don't even eat bread. As I slip the diminutive currency into my pocket, I remind myself to rail against inflation as soon as I can draw fresh air into my lungs. Disappointment makes the stench feel even more oppressive and I quickly head back out.

All characters owned by Nintendo

___

___