• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Magdalena Ravenclaw

Quarantine Challenge Makeover, part 2

I worked out all week, I just forgot to log on here and start a part 2 for the current challenge.

The last one was pretty much an epic fail weight loss wise. But hopefully I did get some gains since my workouts were quite consistent. I just finished reading a book called The New Rules for Lifting for Women. It basically said I wasn't eating enough protein or lifting heavy enough weights and that I should focus more on compound movements rather than isolating muscles and exercising them in ways you don't naturally use them. So . . . 

I researched how to do dead lifts AGAIN, as well as Romanian dead lifts. I also had hubby clear out the space around the weight bench so that I could resume working out with the barbell. (That room is undergoing renovation so it's a bit complicated in there). Oh, the book also said women don't need to isolate the quads because they are naturally strong and the hamstrings are naturally not so they already have an imbalance. So I took off a plate on the quad extension so that I can use it as a hamstring curl instead. It also said crunches are pointless, but I find planks rather boring so I googled and found this exercise called The Flag. Oh my gosh, it's hard but you can feel it. Not hard to do, but hard to control like the guy in the video. I actually really enjoyed it and had more control my second time around so I'm looking forward to mastering that one. 

Overall, I don't really think I got that great of a workout in tonight. I had to keep looking over the article, checking my form, try to remember the difference between the dead lift and the RDL, and keep playing with the weights until I felt like it was the right weight. I'm glad to report I am up to 50lbs (from 30lbs), but there was so much practicing and adjusting that I didn't do consistent reps or sets. And then I was afraid that I would overdo it if I tried. So next time, I guess. *sigh*

Hopefully I will start seeing some results soon. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I just finished reading a book called The New Rules for Lifting for Women. It basically said I wasn't eating enough protein or lifting heavy enough weights and that I should focus more on compound movements rather than isolating muscles and exercising them in ways you don't naturally use them. So . . . 

Excellent. Heavy compound lifts are the bomb.

Oh, the book also said women don't need to isolate the quads because they are naturally strong and the hamstrings are naturally not so they already have an imbalance.

What? I have the opposite problem! Not that I really do any isolation exercises anyway, but my hammies are totally stronger than my lazy-ass quads.

Overall, I don't really think I got that great of a workout in tonight. I had to keep looking over the article, checking my form, try to remember the difference between the dead lift and the RDL, and keep playing with the weights until I felt like it was the right weight.

Technique gains are gains. 

I'm glad to report I am up to 50lbs (from 30lbs)

Nice! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I worked out all week, I just forgot to log on here and start a part 2 for the current challenge.

The last one was pretty much an epic fail weight loss wise. But hopefully I did get some gains since my workouts were quite consistent. I just finished reading a book called The New Rules for Lifting for Women. It basically said I wasn't eating enough protein or lifting heavy enough weights and that I should focus more on compound movements rather than isolating muscles and exercising them in ways you don't naturally use them. So . . . 

I researched how to do dead lifts AGAIN, as well as Romanian dead lifts. I also had hubby clear out the space around the weight bench so that I could resume working out with the barbell. (That room is undergoing renovation so it's a bit complicated in there). Oh, the book also said women don't need to isolate the quads because they are naturally strong and the hamstrings are naturally not so they already have an imbalance. So I took off a plate on the quad extension so that I can use it as a hamstring curl instead. It also said crunches are pointless, but I find planks rather boring so I googled and found this exercise called The Flag. Oh my gosh, it's hard but you can feel it. Not hard to do, but hard to control like the guy in the video. I actually really enjoyed it and had more control my second time around so I'm looking forward to mastering that one. 

Overall, I don't really think I got that great of a workout in tonight. I had to keep looking over the article, checking my form, try to remember the difference between the dead lift and the RDL, and keep playing with the weights until I felt like it was the right weight. I'm glad to report I am up to 50lbs (from 30lbs), but there was so much practicing and adjusting that I didn't do consistent reps or sets. And then I was afraid that I would overdo it if I tried. So next time, I guess. *sigh*

Hopefully I will start seeing some results soon. 

Nice job on upping that deadlift weight!!! RAWR!

I agree compound movements are where it's at if you want to get strong and make use of that lasting calorie burn.

You may also want to read Lift like a Girl by Nia Shanks. I read it at the beginning of the year and seemed like it could be a useful resource for someone in your position. :)

9 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Oh, I should note that I'm still isolating delts and glutes because they are where I really want gains.

yesssss

12 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

resume working out with the barbell. 

YAASS QUEEN! Deadlifts, whoot! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

You may also want to read Lift like a Girl by Nia Shanks. I read it at the beginning of the year and seemed like it could be a useful resource for someone in your position. :)

I was just about to suggest this!

I have also read New Rules of Lifting for Women, and though the workouts out of the book are not my favorite (not enough barbells!) there is enough useful general information about fitness, lifting, and nutrition, that it is my go-to recommendation for any woman who is just starting out with strength training and wants to learn more about it.  For more useful info and a variety of workouts Nia Shanks has a website with an outstanding blog. :) 

2 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I was just about to suggest this!

I have also read New Rules of Lifting for Women, and though the workouts out of the book are not my favorite (not enough barbells!) there is enough useful general information about fitness, lifting, and nutrition, that it is my go-to recommendation for any woman who is just starting out with strength training and wants to learn more about it.  For more useful info and a variety of workouts Nia Shanks has a website with an outstanding blog. :) 

Thanks! I will def check it out!

8 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Nice job on upping that deadlift weight!!! RAWR!

I agree compound movements are where it's at if you want to get strong and make use of that lasting calorie burn.

yesssss

Thank you! 

Ok, just did an upper body workout. And I am pleased to say that I finally have enough weights that I am not exceeding 12 reps on any given exercise. Whoot!

Compound / Barbell

Chest Press -- 30 lbs

Overhead Press -- 30 lbs

Rear Delt Rows -- 30 lbs

Isolation / Dumbbells

Front Delt Raise --  10 lbs ea

Lateral Delt Rasie -- 8 lbs ea

Rear Delt Raise -- 10 lbs ea

Tricep Dips

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Ok, just did an upper body workout. And I am pleased to say that I finally have enough weights that I am not exceeding 12 reps on any given exercise. Whoot!

Excellent, excellent. 

• Like 1

So I definitely have strength gains!

I've been doing my compound lifts first and then my isolation exercises. And after checking out Nia Shanks's website (thanks to @Scalyfreak!), I upped my sets to ensure I am getting at least 25 reps. Anyway . . . I did my barbell exercises (with the extra/4th set) and glanced over at my dumbbells and thought there is no way I'll be up for my front lateral raises with 10 lbs. I leaned over to pick one up just to confirm and my arm practically went flying the 10lbs were so light. I did all my isolation exercises (including the extra set). 

Overhead Press (30 lbs) 4x8

Seated Back Row (60 lbs) 3x15

Bench Press (30 lbs) 2x12

Front Raise (10 lbs) 4x8

Lateral Raise (8 lbs) 4x8

Rear Delt Raise (10 lbs) 4x8

Tricep Dips 3x8

• Like 6

So I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now. 

1) I still have to reread this article on how to do a deadlift before every bloody workout because I can't remember what I'm supposed to do. And I have no idea how I'm suppossed to not round my upper back to lift it off the floor. Are my arms too short??? Hamstrings too tight? Once I get it off the floor, I can squeeze my shoulder blades together but I can not squat down in front of it and keep my heels on the floor and keep my back straight while it is on the floor. 

2) I think my inability to not round my upper back / keep my shoulders higher than my hips (they are about even) is putting too much pressure on my knees. Or maybe it's something else. Because just squatting down BEFORE I even lift the weight hurts my right knee, let alone trying to "push from my knees" to get the bar up. I did 3 sets of 6 -- ONLY 6 with ONLY 50 pounds -- and felt alot of pressure in my lower back. Then I finally figure out how to do it without feeling it in my back (and I have no idea what I did differently, and I was able to do up to 10, but that's when I felt the stinging pain on the outside of my right knee. I took a break and tried again and my knee was like, nope you're done for today. So I will try again on Thursday, but I'm really discouraged. I can do 3 sets of 12 Romanian Deadlifts at 50 lbs, but I'm pretty sure I read that traditional deadlifts will be heavier weights than the Romanian. So again, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. But with the Romanian, I don't have to go all the way down to the floor so my knee isn't aggravated which I assume is why I can do more. Ugh.

3) I did not have any of these problems 3 days ago when I last did my lower body (I did equal number of deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts). I had to reread the articles a bunch of times, but I didn't have any pain and I felt really strong and powerful and like I was in love with barbells, and now I'm feeling like a stupid novice who has no idea what she's doing and is pretending to be a warrior. 😫

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If you're having pain in either muscles or joints when you try to do an exercise, the right thing to do is to stop trying. Every time I have injured myself lifting weights (all two times!) was when I ignored my body's desperate attempts to tell me it was not ready for what I was trying to force it to do. You said you can't get into a proper setup for a deadlift because your back won't cooperate, and your legs hurt? Then stop trying.

Unless you are completely superhuman you are under a lot of stress right now. Stress makes our muscles tense and our joints achy, and it is not always wise to lift heavy under those circumstances.  Not trying to be mean here, but the very last thing you want to do right now is probably to add to your stress by injuring yourself. Stretch your muscles and give them a thorough warm-up, and then gently try to do a deadlift with low weight. Pay close attention, check in with or body often, and stop the moment you feel like things are not right anymore. Just like you did when you felt that stinging knee pain - a knee is a fragile thing. Stopping at that point was completely the right thing to do.

If a good friend of yours was in this situation, you would hopefully not tell that friend to just suck it up and force through the pain.Tell yourself what you would tell that friend instead. Be nice to your body, and let it rest if it needs to rest. Your body can deadlift and squat, it keeps you alive, it gave life to your children. Show your body how much you appreciate everything it does for you by being kind to it, just for right now, while it's hurting.

27 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

and now I'm feeling like a stupid novice who has no idea what she's doing and is pretending to be a warrior. 😫

Hell no. If you want to lift, you're a Warrior. It's too late for you to try and get away from us now. ;) 

And an injured warrior is still a warrior. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So I'm feeling pretty discouraged right now. 

1) I still have to reread this article on how to do a deadlift before every bloody workout because I can't remember what I'm supposed to do. And I have no idea how I'm suppossed to not round my upper back to lift it off the floor. Are my arms too short??? Hamstrings too tight? Once I get it off the floor, I can squeeze my shoulder blades together but I can not squat down in front of it and keep my heels on the floor and keep my back straight while it is on the floor. 

2) I think my inability to not round my upper back / keep my shoulders higher than my hips (they are about even) is putting too much pressure on my knees. Or maybe it's something else. Because just squatting down BEFORE I even lift the weight hurts my right knee, let alone trying to "push from my knees" to get the bar up. I did 3 sets of 6 -- ONLY 6 with ONLY 50 pounds -- and felt alot of pressure in my lower back. Then I finally figure out how to do it without feeling it in my back (and I have no idea what I did differently, and I was able to do up to 10, but that's when I felt the stinging pain on the outside of my right knee. I took a break and tried again and my knee was like, nope you're done for today. So I will try again on Thursday, but I'm really discouraged. I can do 3 sets of 12 Romanian Deadlifts at 50 lbs, but I'm pretty sure I read that traditional deadlifts will be heavier weights than the Romanian. So again, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. But with the Romanian, I don't have to go all the way down to the floor so my knee isn't aggravated which I assume is why I can do more. Ugh.

3) I did not have any of these problems 3 days ago when I last did my lower body (I did equal number of deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts). I had to reread the articles a bunch of times, but I didn't have any pain and I felt really strong and powerful and like I was in love with barbells, and now I'm feeling like a stupid novice who has no idea what she's doing and is pretending to be a warrior. 😫

There's nothing wrong with you and you're not stupid or pretending. Some lifts come easy, some we have trouble with. My trouble lift has been the squat. 

1. can you bend over and touch your feet with straight legs? If so, your hams are probably not to tight/arms not too short
2. are you starting with the bar over mid foot? That is to say, no more than about an inch in front of your shins? if it's too forward, it will stress your back more and you might lose your balance.

2b. But with any heavy deadlift you will and probably should feel it in your mid back. 

3. What's this about pushing through the knees? I just get the bar in my hands and stand up, dragging the bar up my legs. 

4. books are fine but videos are better. I probably already shared this but I like Alan Thrall (steps start at 3:10)

Spoiler

5: when you feel better, you can show us a video for a form check if you feel comfortable doing so.

• Like 1

Are you doing deadlifts or RDLs?

If deadlifts, how far off the ground is the bar when you start? It should be somewhere around mid shin (or even higher). Sometimes with barbells, if you are starting at a weight where you cannot use the "big plates" this can be the case and your bar is too low to start with. Your description makes me think this might be your case. If so, I'd recommend increasing the height to start on both sides using books, bricks, yoga blocks, etc underneath your plates. You might want to raise even higher than mid-shin (maybe like just below the knee?) to see if that helps. 

Another thing you mentioned is rounding your upper back and thinking about squeezing your shoulder blades together. One thing I'd recommend instead of thinking of squeezing them together to think of tucking them down and back. 2 ways I like to think of this

1) Thinking of tucking your shoulder blades into your back pockets

2) Think about squeezing oranges in your armpits  ( I know this sounds silly! but it helps me a lot)

It's a lot easier to think through this and maybe practice a few times first. I'd recommend just standing there and practicing tucking your shoulders into your pockets to get the feel, then move to practicing with a broomstick or PVC pipe before you move to a barbell.

I hope these tips help!

• Like 2

@miss_marissa said all the right things! when teaching deadlifts I very often have to setup the bar a bit higher. Sometimes even higher than 'big plates' height.

And tucking your shoulder blades into your back pockets is my favorite cue :)

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 9:06 PM, Scalyfreak said:

And an injured warrior is still a warrior. 

Happily, I'm not injured. Just old and inflexible, lol. I'm not sure why it hurt with the deadlift, especially since I immediately did barbell squats with no pain whatsoever. I think it was that stupid "push through the knees" thing in the article. I'm gonna try what @Harriet said and just stand up. 

13 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

Are you doing deadlifts or RDLs?

If deadlifts, how far off the ground is the bar when you start? It should be somewhere around mid shin (or even higher). Sometimes with barbells, if you are starting at a weight where you cannot use the "big plates" this can be the case and your bar is too low to start with. Your description makes me think this might be your case. If so, I'd recommend increasing the height to start on both sides using books, bricks, yoga blocks, etc underneath your plates. You might want to raise even higher than mid-shin (maybe like just below the knee?) to see if that helps. 

Another thing you mentioned is rounding your upper back and thinking about squeezing your shoulder blades together. One thing I'd recommend instead of thinking of squeezing them together to think of tucking them down and back. 2 ways I like to think of this

1) Thinking of tucking your shoulder blades into your back pockets

2) Think about squeezing oranges in your armpits  ( I know this sounds silly! but it helps me a lot)

It's a lot easier to think through this and maybe practice a few times first. I'd recommend just standing there and practicing tucking your shoulders into your pockets to get the feel, then move to practicing with a broomstick or PVC pipe before you move to a barbell.

I hope these tips help!

You know, I actually had that thought and almost posted a pic of my plates yesterday. I'm up to 50lbs now, but I have the short, fat, plastic things . . . rather than the thin (and I assume higher?) metal ones. 2 15's and 2 10's. So when I read your comment I was actually quite happy, because I could certainly stay in proper form if the bar was up a little higher. I actually bought all these weights off of Craigslist for my husband for Father's Day last year (he's used them twice) and then ended up getting into it myself. And yes, your tips helped because I read "flex your armpits" in an article and had no idea what the heck that was supposed to mean, lol. Squeezing oranges I understand. Ha! I will try the back pocket thingy too!

23 hours ago, Harriet said:

1. can you bend over and touch your feet with straight legs? If so, your hams are probably not to tight/arms not too short

No. I've actually never been able to touch my toes. Well . . . if I do stretching routine for a couple weeks I can sometimes graze my toes with the very tips of my fingers. But mostly, I look like an upside down "U" if the bottom of the "U" was flat. I have no bend/flexibility whatsoever. 

It occurred to me after I read this that in the lower body workout I had done previous to the one I vented about I had added hamstring curls to my workout. I was sore for the next 2 days from that. I wasn't sore yesterday when I attempted the deadlift, but I'll bet you anything I had residual tightness that combined with my already tight hammies is why I couldn't do them properly even though I could in previous sessions. So I guess that means I need to start adding in some stretches to my routine. I never remember to do stretches. *sigh*

To everyone, thanks for your kind words and encouragement and tips!!! I really, REALLY appreciate it!!!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

It occurred to me after I read this that in the lower body workout I had done previous to the one I vented about I had added hamstring curls to my workout. I was sore for the next 2 days from that. I wasn't sore yesterday when I attempted the deadlift, but I'll bet you anything I had residual tightness that combined with my already tight hammies is why I couldn't do them properly even though I could in previous sessions. So I guess that means I need to start adding in some stretches to my routine. I never remember to do stretches. *sigh*

Ah. Fair enough. I've never had this problem because I have short legs and am bendy. In that case, I think @miss_marissa had the right idea and you should put something under the bar so it's elevated. 

• Like 1

So no lifting today. I probably could have done an upperbody workout (I was only slightly sore), but just didn't feel like it. It's my baby's birthday (he turned 2) so I spent the evening (my workout time) with him cuddled on my lap watching Blippi (some crazy guy who teaches toddlers all about construction trucks and trains on youtube). However, I added cardio to my routine yesterday (I'm tired of not losing any weight but I HATE cardio but hate STS's more). So I'm doing as little as possible. Running up and down my stairs for a total of 300 steps (half of Ahch-To) as quickly as I can, usually with about 2 minutes pacing break every 5 flights (to catch my breath and guzzle water). I did that yesterday and today. I'm also gonna cut out vodka (I only drink on weekends). That is the biggest difference between my successful weight loss attempt in 2018 and this one -- I had cut out drinking completely that time but was assuming that I would just lose slower this time if I didn't cut it. Apparently not. I'm gonna switch to Sangria's this weekend (half dry wine / half suger-free/5 cal juice) and see if that makes a difference. Apparently having 4 drinks at one time if you're a woman is considered binge drinking (I just read an article on this). I usually have 3-4 stiff ones (does that make 6-8???  😲).  So yea, that's probably the culprit, lol. Happily, even if I have 4 Sangria's that's only the equivalent to 2 glasses of wine. Plus with adding the cardio to my routine hopefully I will shed some of this fat soon and actually be able to see some of this muscle I've worked so hard to gain, lol. 

It's so funny -- my husband will have 1 Hard Mike's and he'll be staggering. Me, I don't really feel it until my 3rd stiff vodka. I would love to be like him. Much less calories and easier on the liver, lol.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Ah. Fair enough. I've never had this problem because I have short legs and am bendy. In that case, I think @miss_marissa had the right idea and you should put something under the bar so it's elevated. 

Lol, I have never been flexible. I was in a gymnastics class at 5 years old and they held me back and put me with preschoolers and I overheard one instructor comment to another instructor that I was older than everyone else and couldn't keep up. So yea, apparently, I've always been inflexible. I so wish I could enjoy yoga. But I am so awkward and fall over that it's hard to force myself to do something I suck at, lol.

Ha! Years and years ago I took an aerobics class and I always stayed in the back because I was uncoordinated and could never sync right with everyone else. One time I actually did the choreography accurately, and the instructor (who was very friendly) yelled out that I had actually done it right. It was so funny. 

• Like 1

So, did my upperbody workout today. It's starting to get easier. As in, I'm not resting as much in between sets. I tried 10lbs dumbbells on my lateral delt raises but could only do 6, so I switched back to my 8lb so I could do 4x8. Or maybe 4x6 with 10 is better? 

Oh, and I checked the height of my bar when it is on the floor. It is at the bottom of my ankle, so yeah, if it's suppossed to be at my shin that would explain the rounding of my shoulders, which makes me feel much better. Walmart is wiped out of weight plates at the moment. Apparently they have been since the beginning of Covid. Craigslist has nothing. I'm wondering if Goodwill is out too. I'll check tomorrow. In the meantime, it occurred to me to take the 25 lb plates off my hamstring curl and put them on the barbell (instead of 2 10's and 2 15's). So now the barbell is about 3 inches higher. It's going to require me switching out every workout because I need the 15's for my overhead press, but at least it allows me to do the dead lifts with proper form now. 

On a side note, this allows me to put 20lbs on the hamstring curl instead of the 25lbs, which I think was a bit too much for me. I can do the sets, but my hammies are sore for two full days after so maybe the 20lb will allow me to heal a bit faster. 

Best note of all, I FINALLY -- after a month -- dropped a pound!

• Like 4

On 5/20/2020 at 11:00 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

You know, I actually had that thought and almost posted a pic of my plates yesterday. I'm up to 50lbs now, but I have the short, fat, plastic things . . . rather than the thin (and I assume higher?) metal ones. 2 15's and 2 10's. So when I read your comment I was actually quite happy, because I could certainly stay in proper form if the bar was up a little higher. I actually bought all these weights off of Craigslist for my husband for Father's Day last year (he's used them twice) and then ended up getting into it myself. And yes, your tips helped because I read "flex your armpits" in an article and had no idea what the heck that was supposed to mean, lol. Squeezing oranges I understand. Ha! I will try the back pocket thingy too!

Woo hoo!!!!

I hope this helps, if you're still struggling after trying this let me know and I can try to find some helpful videos or film one for you :) 

On 5/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So no lifting today. I probably could have done an upperbody workout (I was only slightly sore), but just didn't feel like it. It's my baby's birthday (he turned 2) so I spent the evening (my workout time) with him cuddled on my lap watching Blippi (some crazy guy who teaches toddlers all about construction trucks and trains on youtube). However, I added cardio to my routine yesterday (I'm tired of not losing any weight but I HATE cardio but hate STS's more). So I'm doing as little as possible. Running up and down my stairs for a total of 300 steps (half of Ahch-To) as quickly as I can, usually with about 2 minutes pacing break every 5 flights (to catch my breath and guzzle water). I did that yesterday and today. I'm also gonna cut out vodka (I only drink on weekends). That is the biggest difference between my successful weight loss attempt in 2018 and this one -- I had cut out drinking completely that time but was assuming that I would just lose slower this time if I didn't cut it. Apparently not. I'm gonna switch to Sangria's this weekend (half dry wine / half suger-free/5 cal juice) and see if that makes a difference. Apparently having 4 drinks at one time if you're a woman is considered binge drinking (I just read an article on this). I usually have 3-4 stiff ones (does that make 6-8???  😲).  So yea, that's probably the culprit, lol. Happily, even if I have 4 Sangria's that's only the equivalent to 2 glasses of wine. Plus with adding the cardio to my routine hopefully I will shed some of this fat soon and actually be able to see some of this muscle I've worked so hard to gain, lol. 

It's so funny -- my husband will have 1 Hard Mike's and he'll be staggering. Me, I don't really feel it until my 3rd stiff vodka. I would love to be like him. Much less calories and easier on the liver, lol.  

Happy birthday to your little!

I think for a lot of people alcohol can be a large contributor to stalled weight loss. Not only is in an increase in calories, but your body also is working to process the alcohol, so then it can't focus it's energy on burning fat.

8 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

So, did my upperbody workout today. It's starting to get easier. As in, I'm not resting as much in between sets. I tried 10lbs dumbbells on my lateral delt raises but could only do 6, so I switched back to my 8lb so I could do 4x8. Or maybe 4x6 with 10 is better? 

Oh, and I checked the height of my bar when it is on the floor. It is at the bottom of my ankle, so yeah, if it's suppossed to be at my shin that would explain the rounding of my shoulders, which makes me feel much better. Walmart is wiped out of weight plates at the moment. Apparently they have been since the beginning of Covid. Craigslist has nothing. I'm wondering if Goodwill is out too. I'll check tomorrow. In the meantime, it occurred to me to take the 25 lb plates off my hamstring curl and put them on the barbell (instead of 2 10's and 2 15's). So now the barbell is about 3 inches higher. It's going to require me switching out every workout because I need the 15's for my overhead press, but at least it allows me to do the dead lifts with proper form now. 

On a side note, this allows me to put 20lbs on the hamstring curl instead of the 25lbs, which I think was a bit too much for me. I can do the sets, but my hammies are sore for two full days after so maybe the 20lb will allow me to heal a bit faster. 

Best note of all, I FINALLY -- after a month -- dropped a pound!

NICE!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Good good. Switching plates around is fine, it's part of the workout :) 

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I think for a lot of people alcohol can be a large contributor to stalled weight loss. Not only is in an increase in calories, but your body also is working to process the alcohol, so then it can't focus it's energy on burning fat.

I've read this but I don't really understand... isn't it still the total amount of calories that matters? Does it really matter what order it burns them in? Or do you think your resting calorie expenditure is lower while you're processing the alcohol? Anyway, I guess the answer doesn't really matter because it is, as you say, extra calories. And also it makes me more likely to eat more things late at night. Oh, and google says it lowers testosterone, so maybe it lower anabolic hormones in women, too? Sigh. It was definitely easier to refrain from drinking when I was working as hard as possible in the gym to try and get a little bit stronger. But are the kettlebells even making me fitter? I don't know. 

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I've read this but I don't really understand... isn't it still the total amount of calories that matters? Does it really matter what order it burns them in? Or do you think your resting calorie expenditure is lower while you're processing the alcohol? Anyway, I guess the answer doesn't really matter because it is, as you say, extra calories. And also it makes me more likely to eat more things late at night. Oh, and google says it lowers testosterone, so maybe it lower anabolic hormones in women, too? Sigh. It was definitely easier to refrain from drinking when I was working as hard as possible in the gym to try and get a little bit stronger. But are the kettlebells even making me fitter? I don't know. 

TBH I have just read and repeated this, without doing any deep dive into the research or anything (so I don't know how true this is).

But my understanding is that as your body processes alcohol it is treated as (for lack of a better term) toxic to the body. I don't know if it is the alcohol itself, or some byproduct of the breakdown process. The body then says 

wNVvkwKg.jpg

I gotta fix this shit. (probably the liver?) so it then it's like all hands on deck! Get this alcohol nonsense OUTTA here and starts processing the alcohol, instead of processing stored fat or consumed fat, protein, carbs for energy. 

I think logically that makes sense? but could all be bullshit tho. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I imagine quantity consumed has something to do with it, binge drinking probably has a higher effect than 1 drink. But again too, alcohol has a higher calories/gram than your 3 macronutrients. In general though, reducing alcohol consumption probably helps to achieve weight/fat loss goals