• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bryanryanryan

Freak early a.m. insomnia after any lifting -- any ideas??

Hello all!
New here but at the end of my rope, thanks in advance for taking the time...

As of maybe 2 years ago (I'm 33 now) I realized I was no longer able to sleep through the night if I did any kind of resistance training / muscle work.  I can't even do just 20 pushups now without my body suddenly waking fully wired anywhere between (specifically) 4 am and 6  am the following morning.  Going back to sleep is usually impossible.  I have no trouble falling asleep at bedtime.

Background info:
I'm 33, 6', 165 pounds.  Despite the insomnia, I've loosely kept up with very light bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, pushups, sit-up, curls, etc.) maybe two or three times a week.  I run and bike maybe once a week each, no insomnia there. 
I've always been a light sleeper and if I eat under 1900 calories I have trouble sleeping... That number used to be closer to 2200 until I recently upped my protein intake so my macros are now 154/171/62 (before, carbs had been at 50%).
Melatonin and Zzzquil (and even Temazepam, which my doctor prescribed) are no match for the sleep disruptions.  Workouts (or one set of pushups...) are equally disruptive whether done afternoon or first thing in the morning.  Usual bedtime is in neighborhood of 12 to 8 am. (Am I leaving anything out...?)

My doctor is confounded and after months of looking I haven't found any posts, anywhere, with similar issues. Any ideas??
Thank you kindly!

Have you tried changing what you eat before you go to bed? Maybe you are hungrier when you work out , so a light snack might help? Or the opposite, no food, because maybe your blood sugar drop. Have you tried relaxation stretches before bed? Maybe your body just needs encouragement to wind down. Something else that helps me when I get into that cycle is to just not fight it. If I wake up and can't sleep. I will just read a while and then try again. That helps so I don't get all stressed about it, which only makes things worse. Also, Melatonin works for me on occasion, but if I take it too much, then I have the issue of getting right to sleep but waking up right away 4 hours later. I find if I keep my dosage to just 1 mg a night, that helps me sleep, but doesn't cause the 4 am wake up

• Like 1

100% I agree with Elastigirl that one of the first things I'd take a look at would be diet; specifically carbs vs fats vs fasting before bed. You may need to experiment a bit with it. Could also try to eat a slower digesting protein (casein is a common recommendation) prior to sleep. And AFAIK melatonin is typically most useful to 'reset' sleeping schedules, rather than encourage sleep quality long-term.

How close to bedtime are you working out? Does the sleep interruption occur if/when you change the time you do the activity? Personally I can't work out within about 5hrs of bedtime if I want to get anything resembling quality sleep. You could also try just going to bed earlier, which may disrupt the pattern enough to switch things up.

How are your overall stress levels? Gratitude journaling, meditation, yoga, and walking outside for a bit every day can help w/ elevated cortisol. If you wanted to explore supplement options, rhodiola and l-theanine are typically relatively safe to experiment with. L-glutamine is another one, but it depends on the person where it may either improve sleep or keep you up. :P 

Have you had your thyroid levels tested? There are all sorts of connections between thyroid & adrenal glands/hormonal interactions. Also just blood tests in general, to rule out any nutritional deficiencies.

If it's really specific to lifting weights though, I'd experiment with staying hydrated and eating a larger protein meal asap after the workout. It may also be that your body temperature is higher on days that you lift, so you need lighter blankets on those nights and/or deliberately cool down your body prior to sleep.

Bodies are weird and wonderful things - and unfortunately complex when it comes to troubleshooting. 'Hope some of these suggestions may help!