• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Leigh12

Worries of BCAA Powder

Hey, I've started working out lifting weights and others few weeks ago and my friend gave me some old BCAA powder i am not sure if i should take it as i never used something like that before

(i never had anything wrong with me and in normal weight soo nothing should go wrong) but i still having a hard time with starting to take it, 

do you people use those stuff? does it really help? have you experienced any side effects? 

thanks!

I don't think it's dangerous. BCAAs are just three of the 9 essential amino acids that are in dietary protein. So it's just a deconstructed food, as far as I know. I don't think it has many benefits over plain old protein powder, though (I might be wrong). And it's more expensive, so I just eat protein & protein powder. 

You could take 2-5g before/during any meal or wokout, but you probably don't actually NEED them at all. Actually, I'd recommend against using any supplement (other than caffeine and creatine) until you have your diet really dialed in, as well as a regular workout routine that includes programmed progressive overload.

They are not dangerous, and yes they can potentially speed up muscle gain and/or help in muscle sparing in a caloric deficit. The straight-up BCAAs are bitter though, so you probably don't want to just take them on their own - mix them into juice or something if you'd like to try.

BCAAs are, as Harriet mentioned, just amino acids - they are some of the building blocks of protein. These three particular building blocks are especially useful to stimulate protein synthesis, and in reducing protein breakdown; but you still need the other kinds as well! Some proteins, like whey for example, are already naturally rich in BCAAs, which is partly why some proteins are favoured over others when trying to gain muscle.

• Like 1

Agreed - BCAA's are actually almost entirely found in your diet assuming you eat a well rounded fresh-food (not easymac and ramen) diet.  Some research suggests BCAA's can help the body maintain glyocgen stores which then in turn prevent the body from breaking down muscle for energy, but you can find research for just about every position pre/post in the supplement industry.  They are however harmless to try in the appropriate dosage.

Nobody has asked the big question though, how "old" is this "old BCAA powder"?  Expired won't get you sick or turn you into a mutant, but its effectiveness may be completely broken down at this point especially if it wasn't stored well with your buddy.