SCOUTS Week 2 Challenge - Going the Distance

There is a balance between Strength and Endurance that pervades every sport. This is especially apparent in the Scout arenas, where a large percentage of races focus mainly on the Endurance aspect. Working on increasing your stamina is an important element in learning how to Run, Bike or Swim.

This week's mini-challenge is aimed to help us all improve our overall stamina. Participants will each receive +1 Stamina points.

Here are the goals:

Running:

Run your best 5k

Biking:

Ride your fastest 15k

Swimming:

Swim your toughest 400m

Once you've completed your challenge, submit your details via

Once the challenge is over, you will be assigned your extra point.

Good luck Scouts!

This is perfect. I have just under 2 weeks until my half. I'll try busting in some good speed workouts this week to get the run in. Bike and swim, maybe not this time, but I'll never say never!

Hmm, one of my overall challenge goals is to run a sub-20 minute 5K. Not sure if I want to treat this mini-challenge as an opportunity to go for it, a chance to do a trial run and see where I'm at, or just hold off so I don't get any psychological baggage built up if I end up disappointing myself. Decisions, decisions...

Hmm, one of my overall challenge goals is to run a sub-20 minute 5K. Not sure if I want to treat this mini-challenge as an opportunity to go for it, a chance to do a trial run and see where I'm at, or just hold off so I don't get any psychological baggage built up if I end up disappointing myself. Decisions, decisions...

bah, give 'er a whirl, it's still early in the challenge, lots of time to try it again

Yeah, same here. Well not the sub-20 minutes, I think I would drop dead, but one of my challenge goals is 5k-related. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow, and then go for broke during my official 5k next week.

Does "run your best 5K" mean to set a 5K PR, or just to do your best with the distance?

I *might* be able to PR it this week but don't have a lot of confidence in doing so.

Run your best 5K that you can during the week. It doesn't have to be your lifetime PR, but you can definitely shoot for it!

I did mine! 26:45, and I'm happy with that. Yeah, I was hoping to do it under 26 mins (which is one of my big goals for the 6-week challenge), but all things considered it's fine. It was a pretty hilly route and the race I'm doing next week is flat flat flat, plus the weather was crappy today...all the usual excuses :) But even if I don't achieve my goal for the official 5k race next week, I know I can do it on my own by the end of the challenge.

I did mine! 26:45, and I'm happy with that. Yeah, I was hoping to do it under 26 mins (which is one of my big goals for the 6-week challenge), but all things considered it's fine. It was a pretty hilly route and the race I'm doing next week is flat flat flat, plus the weather was crappy today...all the usual excuses :) But even if I don't achieve my goal for the official 5k race next week, I know I can do it on my own by the end of the challenge.

Nice work! Good luck in the actual race!

Ran mine tonight too - was hoping for 24:00, came in at 24:05. Pretty happy with that, all things considered.

Oh this one is scary... but then I just read Steve's article on taking risks and feel like this is a pretty safe risk. I've never run/jogged/walked 5k on purpose, let alone trying to do it in any amount of time. So it looks like that's 3.1 miles... so I could figure out how far that is from my house... at least figure out how far it is to 1.5 miles and run back. urg scary. But I've wanted to run a 5k ... i want to be a runner and that's what they do isn't it?

I did mine yesterday night, did a little over 5 k in 26:07. Since I was aiming for a sub 30 min 5k I am pretty happy with this.

I still want to go a lot faster though, got to keep training in my v5f's.

Nice work! Good luck in the actual race!

Thanks! I'll definitely post an update after I run it. Way to go with your time, too!

I did mine yesterday night, did a little over 5 k in 26:07. Since I was aiming for a sub 30 min 5k I am pretty happy with this.

I still want to go a lot faster though, got to keep training in my v5f's.

Nice! Did you run the 5k in your vibrams or in regular shoes?

I got my run in yesterday, a best at 24:22, not quite as fast as you, Dawsy, but not bad for a post lift run! Today, I'll hit the bike and swim, methinks. I was thinking about getting a 6mi run in, but with a bit of tightness this morning, the swim could be just what I need to get loose!