Stair Training... Feeling Sick!

Hi all, 

I've fallen welllll out of the bounds of my personal fitness goals since lockdown began (partner is shielding, so we're on day 82 of not leaving our flat...yay...) so I've decided that the fitness we're going to try and do is daily running up and down our stairwell - we're on the 7th floor, which means 15 full sets of stairs top to bottom and no one ever uses the stairs so we can keep safe and distant easily.

HOWEVER. We started it this morning and OMG. I nearly threw up at the top. We ran down, then went as fast as we could back up. I ran down fine, then up to floor four fine (9 sets of stairs) then nausea hit me like bricks! I carried on to the top but it's taken me about 20 minutes to regain a sense of feeling okay.

I'm thinking that we need to approach it less in a "fast as possible!" way and more in a strategic build up way... but I don't really know what that might look like. Any advice?

Ranger at heart, training with the Adventurers.

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 0 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

"A slow mile is still a mile run. A lightweight is still a weight lifted. A half-hearted gym session is still better than sitting on the sofa." 

16%
16%

You just take a break when you need it? Or go slower? Find a pace that you're comfortable with (ie. no nausea), and then time how long it takes to do the stairs. Each time you go you could try to shave off a few seconds off that time, while not pushing yourself too hard. Alternatively, you could use a heartrate tracker and see if that helps you with some meaningful data.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Any way you can cut it into smaller pieces, and add on to over time, will work. You just want a plan you can improve at progressively over time.

Number of floors seems like a good way to progress. If you got nauseous after four flights you could start by setting yourself a more reasonable goal that avoids nausea, like running down the stairs and then back up just two. Then after doing that for whatever amount of time seems reasonable — say one or two weeks — add another floor and run up three. And so on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Thanks. I think PaulG had a good idea - I like the idea of adding on a staircase of pace every week or so as I get fitter. Will make me feel like I’m achieving something!

Ranger at heart, training with the Adventurers.

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 0 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 5

"A slow mile is still a mile run. A lightweight is still a weight lifted. A half-hearted gym session is still better than sitting on the sofa." 

16%
16%

Try walking down the stairs.  I've always considered stair running to be an interval workout.  You need to recover before sprinting again.   Also, I've believe that running down stairs has a high incidence of injury.  Couldn't find the source on that, though.

Downstairs predisposes you to more injury usually, downstairs requires more range if motion in the hip and requires eccentric muscle control against gravity. Low injury incidence in either activity really in the grand scheme of things. 

Id agree, add a little bit each week for tolerance. Likely once the endurance floor is under your feet, stairs will be less about endurance (causes the nausea feelings) and you’ll start the strength development part. 

• Like 1

Training Log/Progress Pics: Harder to Kill

Current Challenge: Zach from Water, to Water

Challenge History: 1 2 3 4