HISHE: Tanktimus Takes Heed of Warnings and Avoids Unnecessary Suffering

How it Should Have Ended is a great series on Youtube. In it, they point out plot holes and places where characters from Nerd Movies act like idiots.

Here's an Example:

I thought it a fitting theme because I'm at a turning point. Last challenge at the beginning I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure. At the end I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I can either make changes to prevent diabetes, or I can do nothing and get sick. As a hospital Chaplain in a town with a diabetes problem, I see the results of un-managed diabetes all the time: patients on dialysis because their kidneys got damaged, patients with neuropathy, patients going blind (I don't encounter that as often), patients loosing toes, feet, even legs to un healed wounds, poor circulation, or both (see that all the time). I always told myself if I ever get pre-diabetes I would deal with it before it got to full diabetes, to avoid the complications of full blown type II diabetes. That way the movie of my life doesn't have a diabetes-problems sub-plot.

Goals: 

Kettlebells: Keep swinging them. The goal is 3 times a week do the NF Beginner Kettlebell workout with a 20# bell in the first round and a 15# bell for the next two rounds.

Yoga: Stretch 2-3 times a week.

Walks: Take them.

Nutrition: I'm going to eat as though I have diabetes. The focus is on unrefined carbs, plenty of veggies, some fruit, and good protein. I'm American, I'm gonna get fat in my diet :). To get there I'm gonna make baby steps. The Baby step for this challenge is the nutrition goal I had when I came back to NF in 2015: no more than three restaurant meals (in house, take out or delivery all count) a week.

Some bonus goals here:

• Try overnight oats as a breakfast option.
  • If I do frozen breakfast, do carb-free versions.
  • Realize that sugary treats exist, and I'm not saying I'll never have them, just acknowledge they won't help me treat pre-diabetes with nutrition (the intuitive eating book does say if you eliminate foods because of allergy or whatever sugar is to diabetes it's not the same as restricting it for dieting)
  • find convenient healthy snacks, especially for work (I'm going to stop protein drinks and bars for a while because too much protein can be hard on kidneys)

Good things I'm already going I want to stick with and or strengthen

• Keep using Emeals "Healthy 30 minute meals" plan. They have a diabetes plan but it looks boring.
  • Keep focusing on the intuitive eating ideas of listening to hunger and fullness signals (especially fullness signals) and honor both
  • make decisions about what to eat in the grocery store rather than the pantry

Those are some good goals for now.

• Like 24

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along, as long as it's ok that I am going to pronounce this challenge like "HISH HAY"

When I see the acronym I prounouce it "HEE-she"

• Like 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 6/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

When I see the acronym I prounouce it "HEE-she"

Huh, I always pronounce it "hish-ee" with a short "I."

Following along to watch you TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR SCRIPT and WRITE THE ENDING YOU WANT.

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 47

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

On 6/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Keep using Emeals "Healthy 30 minute meals" plan. They have a diabetes plan but it looks boring.

What makes the diabetes one boring?

I am always kind of curious what different interpretations of "healthy" are. As your healthy, is different than my healthy because we have different bodies and different needs. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

16 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Huh, I always pronounce it "hish-ee" with a short "I."

Following along to watch you TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR SCRIPT and WRITE THE ENDING YOU WANT.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

What makes the diabetes one boring?

I am always kind of curious what different interpretations of "healthy" are. As your healthy, is different than my healthy because we have different bodies and different needs. 

Boring is my way of saying the meals look unappealing. For the purposes of emeals, "Healthy" means they call it healthy. It seems to minimize processed foods and emphasize healthier carbs so far. Really, it's a mealplan that has quick meals and at least attempts to limit processed food. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How it Should Have Ended is a great series on Youtube. In it, they point out plot holes and places where characters from Nerd Movies act like idiots.

One of my favorite YouTube channels! :) 

On 6/9/2020 at 8:18 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
  • find convenient healthy snacks, especially for work (I'm going to stop protein drinks and bars for a while because too much protein can be hard on kidneys

If you have easy access to a fridge at work, I find that raw vegetables (especially carrots) are a fantastic snacking option.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 6/9/2020 at 10:18 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
  • Keep focusing on the intuitive eating ideas of listening to hunger and fullness signals (especially fullness signals) and honor both
  • make decisions about what to eat in the grocery store rather than the pantry

These two right here...especially the first one, are a huge struggle for me.

The second one is the reason I don't set foot in the grocery store, (online ordering FTW) but DQ is wayyy too close when I want after dinner treats

Here to hang out with the cool kids ;) 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: Keeps on Moving

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 62

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Great job working towards positive steps!!  Following.

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

19 hours ago, Xena said:

Here to watch you write an awesome script for these scenes in the movie of your life. 

Welcome!

3 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

One of my favorite YouTube channels! :) 

If you have easy access to a fridge at work, I find that raw vegetables (especially carrots) are a fantastic snacking option.

I do have easy access. My grocery store sells conveniently packaged snack packs. Some of them have healthy options, one of which includes carrots.

3 hours ago, Maggie-Miau said:

giphy.gif

I see you.

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Here for solidarity.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, RES said:

These two right here...especially the first one, are a huge struggle for me.

The second one is the reason I don't set foot in the grocery store, (online ordering FTW) but DQ is wayyy too close when I want after dinner treats

Here to hang out with the cool kids ;) 

Having a baby does curtail your "pop out to the fast food place" impulses. I'm not suggesting that as a solution, however.

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

Great job working towards positive steps!!  Following.

Thank you!.

1 hour ago, foxinthenorth said:

Crush the diabetes! Emerge victorious!

That is the plan :) 

17 minutes ago, Emma said:

Hi adopted dad!

Yes, crush the diabetes and high blood pressure! You have little bit and Senora Tanque and lots of others who treasure you and want you to stick around.

Welcome adopted child! You are right, and I want me to stick around too.

• Like 2

Not getting diabetes like all my grandparents underpins my current diet goals, tho I haven't explicitly stated it, and this is reflected in my current diet. Lot's of unprocessed carbs from fruit, vegetables and legumes. And it's low fat... and to that I owe cutting out a lot of meat, eggs, and dairy. Yeah, I know, but the reality is a good number of us are hurting ourselves by eating them too often. Let me know if you want more details on how I pull this off... actually, before we go further, is tofu considered a controlled substance in Texas?

• Like 4

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

So I dunno if @Elastigirl has brought this book to your threads yet, but Lean and Strong by Josh Willis is absolutely amazing. You can borrow it from otpbooks.com and see how you feel. It's basically an interesting combo of intuitive eating and eating guidelines/practice. He basically teaches that flexibility and being human are okay, but that guidelines and practice for a balanced plate are pretty solid helps. He compares eating to learning to play a clarinet - you're not passing or failing, you're practicing every day. Some days are harder than others, but you don't lose skill because some days are more of a struggle. He mentions Intuitive eating a bit, and a woman named Georgie Fear whose book I'm reading next.

• Like 3

Grey Jedi Ranger

Go Beyond - Jedi's Pro Hero Challenge

Jedi Battle Log

“If you feel yourself hitting up against your limit, remember for what cause you clench your fists! Remember why you started down this path, and let that memory carry you beyond your limit”

- Toshinori Yagi (All Might), My Hero Academia

Challenges#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10#11#12#13#14#15#16, #17#18#19#20#21#22#23#24#25#26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33,  #34#35#36#37#38#39#40#41#42#43#44, #45#46#47#48

13 minutes ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

So I dunno if @Elastigirl has brought this book to your threads yet, but Lean and Strong by Josh Willis is absolutely amazing. You can borrow it from otpbooks.com and see how you feel. It's basically an interesting combo of intuitive eating and eating guidelines/practice. He basically teaches that flexibility and being human are okay, but that guidelines and practice for a balanced plate are pretty solid helps. He compares eating to learning to play a clarinet - you're not passing or failing, you're practicing every day. Some days are harder than others, but you don't lose skill because some days are more of a struggle. He mentions Intuitive eating a bit, and a woman named Georgie Fear whose book I'm reading next.

Yep, I'm really getting a lot out of the book. I like the blend of intuitive eating with some guidelines.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Just now, Chris Tarly said:

Not getting diabetes like all my grandparents underpins my current diet goals, tho I haven't explicitly stated it, and this is reflected in my current diet. Lot's of unprocessed carbs from fruit, vegetables and legumes. And it's low fat... and to that I owe cutting out a lot of meat, eggs, and dairy. Yeah, I know, but the reality is a good number of us are hurting ourselves by eating them too often. Let me know if you want more details on how I pull this off... actually, before we go further, is tofu considered a controlled substance in Texas?

Tofu is not banned, that would go against our "Let people do their own thing" mentality we say we believe in. However, it's common courtesy to warn someone they are about to eat something with tofu.

2 minutes ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

I've seen it on her threads. With the pre-diabetes thing I'm not ready to read another how-to-nutrition book just yet, but recommend it again in the future :) 

1 minute ago, Elastigirl said:

Yep, I'm really getting a lot out of the book. I like the blend of intuitive eating with some guidelines.

I'm glad it's helping. Like I said, I may look into it some time later.

Today is a GOOD day. I woke up in a funk, sad and under pressure about a lot of things. Some of the issue was simple sleep deprivation and hunger, some of it was some things that worked themselves out through the day.

We had online church, then I was set to host "Growth Track" which is a set of four classes that repeat every month that we use as part of our onboarding to get people on the Dream Team (fancy name for all our volunteers). Part of the vision of the church is that Everyone is invited to serve in some capacity and take ownership in what is done and how. I have served with the Growth Track team for some time and know the curriculum really well. No one showed up to take the class, but the person over Growth Track was there because he has admin rights for the Church's zoom account and could set me as the host. We ended up talking about the future of Growth Track, and I talked myself into a leadership position on the team. Turns out the parts of the role I didn't want are being fulfilled by someone who really wants to do that part (paperwork and followup stuff) and doesn't want to do what I want to do (scheduling volunteers to lead growth track and teaching people how to lead the classes). Part of what was bothering me was imposter syndrome at church. Here I am with a LOT of theological education and ministry experience (including 5-6 years of being a pastor myself) and doing very little for the church. Now I feel like I'm contributing. 

Before reading on, to any newcomers, don't read this thread when you are hungry. You have been warned.

We had lunch delivered, and then I went to get my Early Birthday/Father's Day gift, a new grill! It is a five burner grill with cast iron grill grates. I have wanted cast iron grill grates ever since I learned they were a thing, they sear the meat way better than cheapy wire type ones (like what you see on the warming rack above the grill). I got a cover for it, as well as some tools seen in the picture below. I had the people at the store help me get it in my truck along with a couple of propane bottles. It felt very manly taking the grill out of the truck on my own as well as farmer carrying the propane (one at a time).

tenor.gif

We had talked about me getting the grill today, and I got so excited after bringing the grill home I went out and shopped just for a meal to break it in.

chYJ59O.jpg

You see before you most of what I made for dinner. In the cast iron on the side burner are red onion slices and broccoli florets, cooked in avocado oil with sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and red wine vinegar. It was amazing. I grew up with a gas stove and have had electric since college, so getting to cook on a gas burner, even as part of my grill, was awesome. The veggies were incredible. Not pictured, sweet potatoes cooked in the microwave. I had mine with butter and cinnamon. Soooo good. The steaks were a couple of New York Strips because that's what I could find at the store on a quick trip (I went to the closer HEB instead of the big one I normally use). The steaks got rubbed on both sides with olive oil and then I generously added Himalayan Pink Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper on each side and let them set for 20 minutes to both come up to room temp and to absorb the salt and pepper. You see Sra. Tanque's steak on the grill, that was when I first put it on. I got some good grill marks on it with those good grates. You can see where the burners are set. I did 2 minutes and rotated the steak 90 degrees to get those crosshatch marks you see in commercials and let it cook another 3 minutes. That didn't feel like enough so when I flipped it I did 3 minutes, rotated, and another 3 minutes. Except for photoshoots or moving the meat the lid was closed. It came out a beautiful medium. I put it on the warming rack away from the active burners, then turned them up to full blast for my steak. I did 1 minute per side for rare. It was all incredible. We had fresh strawberries for dessert. 

After dinner I was feeling better. 

Here are some bonus baby pics (She's 9 months old now)

Spoiler

8vGQeQK.jpg

UT4ThI8.jpg

mnVw5zy.jpg

ArjR01s.jpg

LInPmW4.jpg

XSGWh2H.jpg

rMlioM7.jpg

• Like 18

Aw Lil' Bit is adorable!

Your goals are solid. I like that you have a big goal and are taking manageable steps towards that. I admire you're taking action towards changing your health status. It shows you care about the people around you and have good self-worth. It's something to be proud of, Tank, and I'm here to cheer you on through the highs and lows :) 

• Like 3

I am more than a little bit jealous of both that grill and having a place to use it.  

• Like 3
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Congrats on the grill :) it’s awesome. And really you especially should have one.

My policy is normally to avoid commenting on diet related things because that would get annoying really fast.. (and it sometimes seems as sensitive a topic as religion or politics)

but I thought I should point out that too much protein is only bad for kidneys that already have a problem, healthy kidneys can deal with it. So if your protein bars/shakes aren’t too high in calories or sugar and they worked for you 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I can't wait to see how you do with this challenge. "Diet" challenges are rough, especially in these emotionally draining times. Making good decisions at the grocery store is a great idea and will really help you.

I know you can do it... for Sra Tanque and Tanquito

• Like 2

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

13 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

is tofu considered a controlled substance in Texas?

I would say it’s more of an abomination.......🤢

Hi @Tanktimus the Encourager !  Lil Bit is gorgeous.  

• Like 2

Level 20 Daywalker

Fitbit

Rinna joins the Fellowship to Rivendell      318.24/458

Spoiler

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar