• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cracked_belle

Am I Welcome ... Even with an Eating Disorder?

hey there, crew!

holy crap, NF has grown soooooooo much in my absence.  I'm so happy for and proud of everyone involved.  <3

onto the topic at hand...

I've always had an eating disorder (ED).  since I was a young child.  sometime I can manage or ignore it better than others.  and it's always (of course) tied in tightly with my fitness (primarily the diet portion, naturally).

I've been spending too much time at an ED forum recently, and my partner is getting worried.  he advised me to return here, where I used to basically live, lol.  he knew how great this community had been for me in the past and wants me to have that again.

so I searched the NF forum to see about any previous threads or even comments about EDs.  I found literally nothing.  (I actually did such thorough researching that the search feature regularly gave me "Error Code 1C205/3", lol.)

I remember that NF used to be an incredibly supportive and inclusive community.  is that still true?  as I battle and try to defeat my eating disorder, as I try to get fit and healthy and strong, mentally and physically ... am I still welcome here?

TL:DR

I have an eating disorder.  can I still participate in the Challenges and/or have an Accountability thread wherein eating disorders are discussed (but of course not at all encouraged)?

• Like 7

Welcome back! Interesting that you didn't find any threads mentioning ED, I know it is something people discuss. There are others who struggle too, and have discussed it. You will find lots of support here, and yes, we would love it if you participate in the challenges

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cracked_belle said:

I have an eating disorder.  can I still participate in the Challenges and/or have an Accountability thread wherein eating disorders are discussed (but of course not at all encouraged)?

Welcome back! I think I remember you from before!  I'm going to tag @Tanktimus the Encourager because he is very much able to articulate better than I can. We do have a pinned area for Disordered Eating Support (link here) so it's not completely taboo, but I think some of us (okay, at least me) just get a bit concerned because we don't have the background to do a lot of supporting of needs for people with ED. 

We definitely do have other members who talk about disordered eating (either historically or current). From my perspective (and please note that this isn't inclusive of a NF stance), it would be helpful to establish your own ground rules and post them in your thread around either the support you are looking for, things that are off limits for your thread, and ways the community can be supportive. That way, we can help make sure your thread is supportive to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

yes, @Sylvaa, I remember you too!  :D

wow. I used the search feature and tried numerous key words and nothing came up.  so weird.

but thank you for that link I really appreciate it.

no, I totally understand the hesitancy to discuss eating issues due to the limitations of the Community experience, knowledge, and focus on it.  that's honestly why I wanted to ask first before I just dived back in with everyone.  I respect the Community, and I want to keep my relationship with it good.  :)

and yeah, my intentions were to keep my food issues restricted to my own area and with as minimal detail as possible.  I was planning on even having a little disclaimer/warning/whatever at the top too, just in case.  so I'll incorporate your ideas into the fold.

much thanks you and @Tanktimus the Encourager for the prompt responses!!  I'm glad to be back home.  <3

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! Interesting that you didn't find any threads mentioning ED, I know it is something people discuss. There are others who struggle too, and have discussed it. You will find lots of support here, and yes, we would love it if you participate in the challenges

maybe it was just my searching??  it kept giving me that aforementioned error code.

that's good to hear.  I'm excited to be back.  I missed this fam.

(and sorry I missed your comment in my original response.  I don't know why I didn't see it the first time around.  :blue:)

• Like 2

Jumping in here to say I think the search function might be broken. I just searched the phrase "grad school" to test it because I personally have used it a million times in the past several years, and I got 2 results. Neither of which were from me. I know I've seen people talking about eating disorders in their threads so if it's not popping up it's definitely not you.

cc: @Tanktimus the Encourager

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

Jumping in here to say I think the search function might be broken. I just searched the phrase "grad school" to test it because I personally have used it a million times in the past several years, and I got 2 results. Neither of which were from me. I know I've seen people talking about eating disorders in their threads so if it's not popping up it's definitely not you.

cc: @Tanktimus the Encourager

Search functions are WAY above my pay grade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Search functions are WAY above my pay grade.

I figured you'd know who to poke behind the scenes. Or is it easier if I use the Contact Us link?

Actually after I posted why I did I realized it may not even be something team NF can fix. NF contracts with a third party for the hosting of the forums, and it's their software the forums use (and therefore that company's search algorithms) internal searches are hard, reddit with all its size and money still has crap for a search function on it's own site. Having said that, @Tobbe seems to be the man who knows how to make the forum software sit up and beg, maybe he knows something about it.  Not saying I won't follow up on this, just that I want to be able to speak intelligently when I do kick this upstairs. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Here to confirm what has been said above. (Personally, I have no expertise nor history with ED nor exposure to it IRL. Only via online sources. With experience I came realise that my empathy and desire to help don't always give me the ability to help as much as I'd like haha. I can offer moral support, though.)

So... Welcome back, and good luck! 

PS - I feel like it might also be helpful to mention there is an Intuitive Eating support group on NF.  From OP:

It is very likely that there will be discussion surrounding eating disorders and/or unhealthy relationship with food, since many discover intuitive eating after a long time of dieting or suffering from an eating disorder. 

• Like 1

If search is an issue, yeah, it may not be fixable by NF. But there's a Google trick you can use to search only NF for anything you need. Put "site:rebellion.nerdfitness.com" as one of the Google search terms, and it will just give you forum results.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 3

6 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Having said that, @Tobbe seems to be the man who knows how to make the forum software sit up and beg, maybe he knows something about it.

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't think I can help with this :(

But Sara's Google trick is great. No one does search as well as Google does!

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 5:53 PM, cracked_belle said:

I've discussed my ED several times in my own thread (and others), no problem! And as @analoggirl mentioned, we do have the Intuitive Eating thread. It's quiet right now, but we've had some great discussions there before. Feel free to bring it back to life if you have anything related to that you want to talk about.

• Like 1

Ok I want to answer the subject question.

HELL YES, you are welcome. And welcome back!! We are the ultimate bastion of acceptance. Get your butt back in here, pull up a medicine ball and sit down.  NUFF SAID! :)

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, Dilnad said:

Ok I want to answer the subject question.

HELL YES, you are welcome. And welcome back!! We are the ultimate bastion of acceptance. Get your butt back in here, pull up a medicine ball and sit down.  NUFF SAID! :)

thanks!  I've been procrastinating on deciding, but you post encourages me to participate in the upcoming Challenge.  so thank you!!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:35 PM, cracked_belle said:

yes, @Sylvaa, I remember you too!  :D

wow. I used the search feature and tried numerous key words and nothing came up.  so weird.

but thank you for that link I really appreciate it.

no, I totally understand the hesitancy to discuss eating issues due to the limitations of the Community experience, knowledge, and focus on it.  that's honestly why I wanted to ask first before I just dived back in with everyone.  I respect the Community, and I want to keep my relationship with it good.  :)

and yeah, my intentions were to keep my food issues restricted to my own area and with as minimal detail as possible.  I was planning on even having a little disclaimer/warning/whatever at the top too, just in case.  so I'll incorporate your ideas into the fold.

much thanks you and @Tanktimus the Encourager for the prompt responses!!  I'm glad to be back home.  ❤️

yea search function is just garbage. As is follow function.

Welcome back! We are happy to have you and of course you are welcome. I know there are at least a handful of us who have struggled with disordered eating or are currently struggling. 

• Thanks 1