• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena is working on it

10 hours ago, Open Fracture said:

Was the keg homebrew?  I really need to start more brewing.  I had a run of several bad beers and haven't been motivated to try again.  I used to make good beer and one of my Epic Quests is to open a brewery, so I better get brewing.  

No, not homebrew, but still good. More just exciting to go to any kind of party these days...even 4 very physically distant adults. I tried making some ginger beer a couple months ago. It was ok, but not really worth the effort. I have a ton of leftover yeast though, so I may try for hard cider.

Today 5 miles at fairly easy pace (no bingo-card sightings). Still feels like a slog to me this time of year, but that's just the way it is. Tried to do my stretching video, but the internet kept getting hung up, so I gave up on that. 3 more negative (14/50 done). Checked in on Twitter. I think I'll be able to make solid progress on some of the other goals this weekend.

• Like 4

On my drive to work this morning I saw a woman on a segue which I have never actually seen in person before and it made me think of your bingo card

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 1:24 AM, Xena said:

Read a chunk of White Fragility. The book is different than I thought it would be (in a good way).

I saw this book advertised but thought it might be more of the same (politically, racially), of which I've had more than enough of these last couple years. But you are making me curious. I'll have a look.

22 hours ago, Maigs said:

On my drive to work this morning I saw a woman on a segue which I have never actually seen in person before and it made me think of your bingo card

oooh, I wish I could count virtual sightings!

Today....3 mile run, but nothing on my card. Two things that ALMOST count:

1. Overheard two people TALKING ABOUT birdwatching. Doesn't count. Someone needs to have actual binoculars in their hand.

2. Past a lady fitness walking and listening to a speaker. Unfortunately I live in a nerdy town, so she was listening to some news show, not actual music, so again doesn't count.

13 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I saw this book advertised but thought it might be more of the same (politically, racially), of which I've had more than enough of these last couple years. But you are making me curious. I'll have a look.

It's been interesting to me. She defines racism in a way that is different than what I'm used to. My opinion is that, partly because people are using different terms/language, they are having a hard time talking to one another and very strong reactions. But that's sort of over-simplifying, and I'm no expert.

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Once you win this game, I think we should make you a Scout community bingo card. Each of us could provide the description of some of the squares. 

Yes! I was thinking of making a cooperative game for next challenge of different kinds of workouts to do (e.g., hill workout of any kind, any kind of workout where you see the sunrise etc etc) but, yes I would totally be up for taking on a community bingo card!

Other news today:

Online yoga class. The teacher wants to start in-person classes next week, but I'm reluctant. I'm already increasing my in-person contact in various ways, and I feel like yoga would just add more degrees of freedom. I'm probably gonna pass on it.

Did some more painting. Read more of the book. Pulled weeds.

Watched an awesome movie tonight via a local virtual film fest (is local/virtual an oxymoron??). It's called "The Runner" [not the Nicholas Cage Movie by the same name] and is about a South Sudanese marathon runner. If you ever get a chance to see it, it's really good..

• Like 3

On 6/26/2020 at 8:31 PM, Xena said:

No, not homebrew, but still good. More just exciting to go to any kind of party these days...even 4 very physically distant adults. I tried making some ginger beer a couple months ago. It was ok, but not really worth the effort. I have a ton of leftover yeast though, so I may try for hard cider.

Hard cider is delicious. I like this plan.

• Like 1

Bingo update!!

• Today I saw (1) several people with backpacks and (2) a women playing music from a speaker while running hill intervals and and pushing a jog stroller.
  • I *might*  have witnessed an argument of sorts. A guy was riding his bike talking on his phone and sounding irritated ("You need to answer the phone, Hon"), but it was nebulous enough that I'm not counting it.
  • I learned from my running buddy that the "Buoy Bike Guy" had knee surgery in March, right before lockdown [I live in such a ridiculous small town!!]. Apparently he's ok and back riding the path BUT he has a new bike that does not have the distinctive buoy on it. I saw some old guy at the end of my run today who might or might not have been Buoy Bike Guy. Again, way to nebulous to count it. And highly doubtful some other guy is going to put a buoy on his bike and start running around. Pondering this should keep me busy for a while.
Spoiler

IMG_0484.jpg

Challenge update

• Social activitism/awareness: About 75% done with the book.
  • Social media: Yup, been checking in on Twitter and following ~29 people. Have made an effort to follow a diverse group of scientists. Next week, I'll keep going at this and try to finish my next blog post. Think after that my mini-goal will be to figure out Linked In a bit. I have an account, and accept Link requests from anyone I know, but am not sure if there is actually any way to make this site at all useful to me (i.e., If I'm not actually looking for a job).
  • Paint the bookshelves: Finished the back wall yesterday, just need to do some touch-ups on it. Next week I'll start working on painting the shelves themselves. I'm predicting that will be sort of annoying.
  • 50 chin-up negatives and finish DailyOm Videos: 14/50 negatives done. 17/21 videos.
  • 35-day running streak: 14/35 done.
  • Like 8

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

One would assume that's because said person is more likely to be biking around.

Touche

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Community BINGO is a great idea.

Cool! But, just to check, do you mean a community BINGO that we would all play (what I initially thought) or you all coming up with weird stuff for me to try and find? Either way is cool with me. I'll organize this to start with the next challenge.

33 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

oooh I've seen a fox. They are so pretty. I'm super intrigued by the black squirrel though

They are common around here, and apparently in Michigan and Ontario. The first time I saw one, I thought I was hallucinating or something. You know...normal weird distance runner stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel

Today...3 miles easy (nothing bingo-worthy), 4 negatives and some other strength work. 2 videos. Finished the stretching videos (they weren't really worth the $15). Have 3 glute videos left (mis-counted on my last update). Regarding my social justice goal (whatever I called it), I think I found a non-profit I would like to support. I'll post more after I do a little more vetting, but what I like about it is that is focuses on kids around 8th/9th grade. Seems like a really useful time for intervention. And even better, it stays with those kids over the next several years, providing various forms of support. It focuses somehow on kids from underprivileged backgrounds, but I don't have enough information about that aspect yet. If any of you US teacher folks know of a non-profit that you feel strongly (in a good way) about, please let me know. Either publicly or via PM.

• Like 6

There’s a colony of black squirrels just across the river. I watched them for a while once, but they just do regular squirrel stuff.

I see a fox along the river a couple times a summer. City foxes always look raggedy and beat up.

Possum sightings are the ones that really get me excited. When I was I College they were as far north as Missouri, then at first their tails and feet were always black with frostbite, now they seem to have settled in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJtrippyT said:

I'm super intrigued by the black squirrel though

They're pretty common around me (and about as easy to photograph as a black cat...)

IMG_20200515_071639772.jpg

• Like 2

The bingo running card looks like fun.

I agree that it feels too early to go back to indoor exercise classes. Maybe outside would be okay because people could spread out and not breathe the same air. All the deep breathing in yoga makes it risky for a low-impact activity.

Yay for making progress on your painting project!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

I agree that it feels too early to go back to indoor exercise classes. Maybe outside would be okay because people could spread out and not breathe the same air. All the deep breathing in yoga makes it risky for a low-impact activity.

My gym is opening up next week, and I'll go check it out before I make any decisions.  They say no masks while exercising (they don't want people fainting) but their newsletter sounds like they are being thorough with other precautions...

It's tricky to tell what the risk really is. We don't currently have an issue in our community. 

• Like 1

I completely agree with everything said...group exercise can be ok under certain conditions. Risk in my little town still pretty low (though always hard to tell because of lags). I guess I'm being fairly conservative but also prioritizing the things most important to me (meeting up with my closest friends in a careful way, going running outside, performing essential work duties, supporting local businesses in a safe way).

Today: 5 miles with ~40 min fartlek. 5 negatives (23/50 done), 1 video (2 to go), caught up on Twitter and made my first tweets. Painted a first coat on one side of the shelves.

Good progress all around 🙂

• Like 6

On 6/30/2020 at 7:57 PM, Xena said:

I guess I'm being fairly conservative but also prioritizing the things most important to me

I'm going this as well.  Like, I feel safe in my bubble where I know people are following the same precautions I am.  Our governor's (lack of a) decision on schools has me a bit on edge, but it is what it is.

I love your bingo updates!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Open Fracture said:

I don't see how you are going to mark camouflage off of your board.  How will you see them??

Hmmm...maybe I should just assume I've run by them and proactively mark it off?

Today I did some hill repeats and saw a guy walking two dogs. Tomorrow I'm thinking of running by the marsh to increase my chances of seeing a birdwatcher or photographer. Will post a picture of the board tomorrow. Feeling too lazy at the moment.

• Like 1

Future bingo ideas:

Snake or turtle

Money on the ground

Someone speaking a foreign language

Skateboarder

Wearing a hydration pack

Someone startled by my running by (despite my best efforts not to startle)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xena said:

Future bingo ideas:

Snake or turtle

Money on the ground

Someone speaking a foreign language

Skateboarder

Wearing a hydration pack

Someone startled by my running by (despite my best efforts not to startle)

To add:

Couple wearing matching outfits

Man with a goatee

A butterfly

• Like 1

Kind of weird couple days. I have no idea what to do with myself on a holiday when I want to avoid the vast majority people. I mean, I can think of things to do, but it's pretty much the same stuff I've been doing for the last 3 months. I need to go back to thinking about how to make weekends different. It's getting a little harder though b/c my town is getting overrun by tourists, so I pretty much want to avoid anyplace that anyone else would want to go.

Noticed a tick on my ankle on Thursday. Saw the area develop a ring yesterday. Freaked out and took myself to urgent care this morning (I live in an area with lots of Lyme disease). After I had checked in and while I was waiting, did some googling and realized I had overreacted. The classic diagnostic bullseye doesn't show up for a couple weeks. Since I was there anyway, I stayed and got the antibiotic dose.

It's getting a little crazy here with the masks [I am totally on board for wearing masks indoors and when walking around in town]. There is starting to be more expectation of wearing masks on paths and trails. My BFF's husband got "covid shamed" for not wearing a mask while running today. I don't want to wear a mask running (I'm willing to carry one and use when passing masked people), so I'm going to put more effort into running during less crowded time (early morning usually fine).

I've almost finished my painting project. Just not counting it as done until everything this put away (i.e., back on the shelves). That's still a chunk of work.

Oh, and a fun thing happened today. I went for a run in the afternoon and a sort of disheveled older guy was out getting his mail. I was mostly worried about crowding him [read above re mask mania] so I swerved out into the road a bit. He looked at me and said "You're an athlete! I see you running by here all the time." I kind of laughed and said "I try my best." He waved his fist and said "You're a strong, beautiful woman. Great job!" [not sure if this sounded creepy or not, but it didn't feel creepy. it was more like small town local cuteness.]

• Like 9