Topic Title: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Topics: Challenge requirements (Major and Minor Goals), Reward System, Commentary

Spreadsheet

CHALLENGE REQUIREMENTS

• Major
    • Practice clarinet. Average 40 minutes a day every other day.
      • Concentration on Cavallini Caprice 1 and Hommage a J. S. Bach by Bela Kovacs
      • Scales to rebuild my finger prowess
      • Clarinet in boat pose is always encouraged
    • Follow a set study schedule for Solid Mechanics.
      • For each chapter, in the following order:
      • Jeff Hanson videos
      • Pearson homework and book example problems
      • Lecture videos
      • Practice problems
    • Get solid, using the 22-minute math alarm timer
      • UTR Leg Day
        • Bulgarian split squats with back foot on a footstool. Start 30.
        • Goblet squats with 10 lb dumbbell. Start 30.
      • MWF Triple P Day
        • Pull: inverted rows on my dad's walker, straight legs.
          • Math 1-6
          • Start 25
        • Push: diamond pushups on bathroom counter
          • Math 7-12
          • Start 30
        • Planks: front and side, bonus for boat
          • Math 13-18
          • Start 60
      • S Rest Day
    • Brush my teeth every night sometime after dinner
  • Minor
    • Read my Bible
      • Or otherwise do the homework for the Bible study sessions
    • Finish Dune
      • Start Dune Messiah
    • Write for Flash Fiction Month (July only)
    • Do some crochet (on an existing project only OR start and finish a project in one session)
    • Do literally anything outside
  • Other
    • Eat three meals a day. Do meal planning (minimum 4 dinners and 2 lunches) so I know what to cook and how much to buy.
    • Week 5 of the challenge, I will record myself (video and audio) playing Hommage a J.S. Bach and forward to my guy-I'm-dating-and-has-video-making-experience to edit into a parody Twosetviolin esque video full of memes.
    • General adulting stuff.

REWARD SYSTEM

• Daily Rewards:
    • ~30 minutes of Animal Crossing in the morning
      • For daily town maintenance only - digging up fossils/gyroids, watering flowers, hitting money rock, shaking fruit trees, accounting for visitors, visiting already-awake villagers
      • For brushing and flossing my teeth the night before
    • Animal Crossing in the afternoon/evening
      • Everything I didn't do in the morning
      • For clarinet daily minutes average over 20
      • For having practiced that day
      • For being on schedule with Solid Mechanics coursework
      • For making progress on at least two of the minor goals
      • There will be no time travel.
  • Midterm Reward
    • Advance my campaign on Heroes of Might & Magic 3
      • For following the study schedule and earning an A on the next Solid Mechanics test, to be redeemed on the Friday immediately following.
      • Test 3 falls during week zero of the next challenge cycle. This will apply to that as well.

The order on the spreadsheet corresponds to how I would like to have my daily schedule set up using these element. Of course, the likelihood of me actually following it is pretty low, but it's a model.

COMMENTARY

I got a 76% on the first Solid Mechanics test and was literally told by my dad that that was below expectations, which in his mind is equivalent to unacceptable, like I didn't already know that. I'm not Asian and my work ethic definitely isn't (stereotypically) but my academic expectations are. The average was a 44%. The high was 92% and the low was 8%. I happen to know the professor will drop the lowest test grade and may also apply a generous curve. That said, I need this 76 to be the test that is dropped. I can't afford to not have straight A's anymore, and not because of what my dad said. The better I do in classes, the more money people will throw at me to help me finish the degree.

Leg Day might get moved from Sunday to Saturday now that I'm working Saturdays again. Saturdays are slow so as long as patients don't bring their families I can do all the squats I want and just use stacks of charts instead of a dumbbell lol.

• Like 4

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

12 hours ago, Snickie said:

Finish Dune

Are you still ahead of your mom in your book finishing contest?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

book finishing contest?

What contest? 😬

I literally don't even bug her about it anymore. She's not going to do it. She'd rather watch tv or play that word connect game (and then complain that she (and by extension we) stares at screens too much and she's going to make her wet macular degeneration worse). The one time I got her to do it she was like "I feel guilty because I'm not reading the Bible instead." And I'm like "but you already weren't doing that????"

Fortunately for me, Dune got interesting so now my motivation to finish is sustainable without that contest. But I'm still a little pissed about it.

• Like 2

Post Topic: Y'all I can't do these pushups!

So last challenge my pushup variation was wide grip knee pushups and from my original post I'm supposed to be doing incline diamond pushups on this footstool but my body is like "nope" and I can't even get psyched into the negative motion. This is entirely related to my arms because I tried and I can do (1-2) full RoM pushups with wide grip, while I struggle even with incline knee diamond pushups on a chair (higher than the footstool and also cushioned), so I know it's like 65% mental and 35% noodle arms.

I'll try to record on Wednesday so I can show you all what's going on.

My dad told me that doing rows would help me with pushups and while I admit I've been neglecting my pull exercises due to <cop out> the hassle it is to transport my dad's walker to the workout space in the living room where there's carpet and then back into the closet in my parents bedroom </cop out>, I'm also like "how do pull exercises help with push exercises?" Like I understand the whole balance thing but still. Aside from the core, I'm working opposite muscle groups (hence balance).

Any ideas on improving the noodle arms? (No gym, heaviest dumbbells are 10 lb and I only have access to one of them.) I'm like where do I even put my hands on these variations? 

• Like 1

Diamond pushups and wide arm pushups use quite different muscle combinations, so being strong in one and weak in another is not necessarily an arm issue.  Diamond pushups require a lot more chest involvement and in my experience most people find them to be a much harder variation than regular or wide arm.  

Also, another common mistake I see with incline pushups is to put the hands too high.  If you are coming down to the bottom of your ROM and your hands are closer to your ears than your shoulders, you are doing them on a harder variation than needed.  It feels counterintuitive, but if you put your hands lower you will be able to recruit more supporting muscles to help with the action. 

As for the pull exercises, I have found that when pushups are done properly (hands no higher than shoulder height and shoulders externally rotated) you should be able to recruit some extra force from your lats so getting those stronger through pull exercises should help.

No weights are needed for building arm strength and your bodyweight is more than enough to build incredible arm strength if you use your leverage correctly.  My personal recommendation is to skip the knee pushups and if your current variations are too hard, increase the incline to a level where you can do at least 5 reps and hold there until you can do at least 10 before lowing the incline.

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Hey, following along!

On 6/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, Snickie said:

That said, I need this 76 to be the test that is dropped. I can't afford to not have straight A's anymore, and not because of what my dad said. The better I do in classes, the more money people will throw at me to help me finish the degree.

That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. Absolutely work hard for those straight A's, but try not to stress about what happens if you don't get them.

On the pushups, as Ghost said diamond pushups emphasise the chest and triceps more, whilst wide grip emphasise the back. Just pick a progression that's manageable and stick with it until you can move on. 

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 6/14/2020 at 3:19 PM, Snickie said:

COMMENTARY

I got a 76% on the first Solid Mechanics test and was literally told by my dad that that was below expectations, which in his mind is equivalent to unacceptable, like I didn't already know that. I'm not Asian and my work ethic definitely isn't (stereotypically) but my academic expectations are. The average was a 44%. The high was 92% and the low was 8%. I happen to know the professor will drop the lowest test grade and may also apply a generous curve. That said, I need this 76 to be the test that is dropped. I can't afford to not have straight A's anymore, and not because of what my dad said. The better I do in classes, the more money people will throw at me to help me finish the degree.

Jeez. That's quite the spread of grades. Is it common for the average to be that low? Is that due to the prof being a horrible teacher, the topic being hard, or the program being poorly executed? I was an A student during my BA, but when I did a study abroad, the program was so poorly put together that no one got an A. I didn't like it, but learned to be happy with my B+, despite what it did to my GPA. 

On 6/14/2020 at 3:19 PM, Snickie said:

my guy-I'm-dating-and-has-video-making-experience

Quite the title, there. Does it go on business cards? :D

Solid challenge; following. 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

6 hours ago, Jarric said:

That's a lot of pressure to put on yourself. Absolutely work hard for those straight A's, but try not to stress about what happens if you don't get them.

18 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I was an A student during my BA, but when I did a study abroad, the program was so poorly put together that no one got an A. I didn't like it, but learned to be happy with my B+, despite what it did to my GPA. 

This is my second degree. So I have a history of bad choices from my first degree (at least 3 D's and a handful of C's) that I have to compensate for as well as the fact that non loan funding doesn't seem to be as available for second degree seeking students as for first degree seeking students. I've worked harder than I need to for my 3.4. I'm smart enough to have a 4.0. I just lack the work ethic. This is why I'm taking this challenge cycle so seriously.

32 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Is it common for the average to be that low? Is that due to the prof being a horrible teacher, the topic being hard, or the program being poorly executed?

This particular class isn't a weeding course (e.g. organic chemistry is one for premed) so it really shouldn't be this low. I think the professor was expecting a 60% average. Biggest reason for the spread might be that classes are online due to COVID and, if people are like me, their motivation and discipline tank in such an environment.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Snickie said:

This particular class isn't a weeding course (e.g. organic chemistry is one for premed) so it really shouldn't be this low. I think the professor was expecting a 60% average. Biggest reason for the spread might be that classes are online due to COVID and, if people are like me, their motivation and discipline tank in such an environment.

Ehhhh, fair, but if the prof is "expecting" a 60% average.... to me, that seems off. Means either you're covering extremely difficult material, or dude needs to up his teaching skills, online or no. 

23 hours ago, Snickie said:

non loan funding doesn't seem to be as available for second degree seeking students as for first degree seeking students.

Yup, I hear you on this. I ended up cancelling my BA graduation the day of the ceremony and adding a second major due to this. 

• Like 1

Progress on minor hobby:

I finished a sock! (The second one is almost done, just needs the cuff and the heel.)

20200618_133006.thumb.jpg.80e2104c3be35ed4e0f9fb8435deaa7b.jpg

The toe is kind of loose though so I think if I make another pair like this I'll add the heel and fit it better before I go too high up the leg.

20200618_133206.thumb.jpg.b4dd9a970441b081c3aa275bd0ebf789.jpg

Also, they're cutting our hours at work to less than half because there aren't as many classes being taught during Summer B and so we tutors aren't exactly necessary anymore (until Fall).

At the same time, the doctor's office wants me to come in during the week, presumably so they don't have to hire and train someone new like they were supposed to after our usual receptionist retired and our part time receptionist left for medical reasons. I need the hours more than ever now, even at less than I make at the college, but I also don't enjoy working there.

• Like 2

Flash fiction month! That's exciting!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I know right? It's so much fun and also stressful but in a good way?

20200619_175254.thumb.jpg.ecdaec061a08c926417c9a20352ca2bc.jpg

I FINISHED THE SOCKS. Well, minus the weaving in of the ends but they're going to be in boots so what do I care lol.

I think from now on I'm going to do circular toes rather than shaping them. It's just easier to fit them that way because then I'm not thinking about orienting when I get to the heel / ankle.

• Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 8:00 PM, WhiteGhost said:

No weights are needed for building arm strength and your bodyweight is more than enough to build incredible arm strength if you use your leverage correctly.  My personal recommendation is to skip the knee pushups and if your current variations are too hard, increase the incline to a level where you can do at least 5 reps and hold there until you can do at least 10 before lowing the incline.

💰💰💰

Because this advice is money.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

On 6/18/2020 at 2:54 PM, Snickie said:

Also, they're cutting our hours at work to less than half because there aren't as many classes being taught during Summer B and so we tutors aren't exactly necessary anymore (until Fall).

At the same time, the doctor's office wants me to come in during the week, presumably so they don't have to hire and train someone new like they were supposed to after our usual receptionist retired and our part time receptionist left for medical reasons. I need the hours more than ever now, even at less than I make at the college, but I also don't enjoy working there.

Booooo. There's a big difference between tolerating a place and actively not liking working there. Yay for income, but hopefully it won't cut into mental health. 

18 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Booooo. There's a big difference between tolerating a place and actively not liking working there. Yay for income, but hopefully it won't cut into mental health. 

My boss dragged his feet about it but I now know I am down to 6 hours a week (previously 20).

The thing about the Dr's office is that I have next to no practical knowledge about anything medical and I also lack assertiveness on the phone. Bitchy co-worker had been doing this kind of stuff for her entire life and I don't know what to do without her yelling at me aggressively correcting me on all the shit I do wrong. (Bitchy co-worker is officially retired now.) Now, once I had an idea of what I was doing the days without bitchy co-worker were nice so long as we didn't get swamped. I'm not HIPAA trained/certified (I don't think anyone at the office is except for maybe the ultrasound techs on the weekends because they have hospital jobs during the week).

Yeah my self confidence is basically in the toilet regarding that job lol. Maybe it'll be different with bitchy co-worker gone. It'll be sink or swim for me managing the whole front (fielding phone calls and urgent faxes and fighting with insurance companies on the copays which I've never done ever) by myself.

Only complaint I have about working on the weekend is, well, it's Saturday. (Also people calling and demanding scripts and not wanting to wait until Monday to get them even though there's nobody in the office to sign for them.) I love my weekend co-workers. 

Idk. It's a thought process and I'd insist on only being there a few weeks because I don't know what fall is going to look like yet. Hopefully I'll be full time at uni and get enough hours and scholarships to pay for my being full time as well as other adulting endeavors.

• Like 1

Post Title: Zero Week Summary

I'm behind schedule on Solids. Quite behind schedule. I was supposed to have done chapters 6 and 7 by Friday night and I got caught up in the boot socks. Which, admittedly, were fun and they will be useful (albeit not matching any other piece of clothing I own) come boot season. Yesterday, being at work on a Saturday (slow day), was my chance to get caught up but I didn't want to be running YouTube on work computer (even with incognito mode) with headphones and miss a phone call of a patient outside or something. (We make them wait in their cars and call them when it's time to go in.)

As it happened, I built from scratch an income tracking spreadsheet, after which I realized I had another sheet that was similar but had more developed input (for income prediction) so I combined those two sheets. So now I can stay on top of my taxes and not get blindsided next February when I eventually receive my tax documents. This move was motivated by two things: going back to work at the 1099-MISC job (no income or FICA taxes deducted) and a rekindled fury and hated toward TurboTax courtesy of Bitches Get Riches. I also learned that my W-2 job is taking out more in social security tax than is necessary. 🙃

Anyway so now my timeline has me doing 4 chapters this week for Solids. Because, you know, human sponge with absolutely no executive dysfunction at all.

:"I'm in danger" meme photo I'm too lazy to look for:

I'm also behind on clarinet. I was supposed to have the entire Kovacs under my fingers at severely reduced tempo by yesterday. But this is less important than Solids.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Snickie said:

Anyway so now my timeline has me doing 4 chapters this week for Solids. Because, you know, human sponge with absolutely no executive dysfunction at all.

:"I'm in danger" meme photo I'm too lazy to look for:

:you can do it meme!:

It's a mixed blessing to get caught up in a project like socks. On the one hand, yay progress! On the other, "oh crap I was supposed to be doing something else..." Good luck!

New work schedule!

I'm only working two evenings a week for the college - Monday and Wednesday.

For the next two weeks, I am welcome to work as much as I want at the Dr's office. I am definitely working tomorrow afternoon and all day Friday.

Starting July 13, I work there on Monday afternoons and all day Friday in addition to the Saturdays I'm already working. This situation is indefinite but may change once the fall semester starts and I can hopefully take a decent course load. The Dr's office is supposed to hire a full-time receptionist anyway, so tbh it's only definite until they hire someone and the former office manager (who is "retired" but is somehow still at the Dr's beck and call) trains that person.

It's so temping to just go in and take the hours but also I have a test in two weeks for Solids that I am not even halfway through the material for, nevermind that two chapters of the material for test 3 is on the homework that's due next Friday.

Also, I need to get my own credit card this week because I am not using my debit card to get gas. I have good credit (thanks Mom) so I have some good options even though with my tiny and ridiculously-taxed income I'll only have like a $500 limit probably. I've looked on NerdWallet and I've picked out a few I like with 0 annual fee, but if there's anything you guys would recommend as well I'd love to hear it.

11 hours ago, Snickie said:

It's so temping to just go in and take the hours but also I have a test in two weeks for Solids that I am not even halfway through the material for, nevermind that two chapters of the material for test 3 is on the homework that's due next Friday.

Very tempting, but you'll be happier getting that Solids stuff out of the way.

11 hours ago, Snickie said:

Also, I need to get my own credit card this week because I am not using my debit card to get gas. I have good credit (thanks Mom) so I have some good options even though with my tiny and ridiculously-taxed income I'll only have like a $500 limit probably. I've looked on NerdWallet and I've picked out a few I like with 0 annual fee, but if there's anything you guys would recommend as well I'd love to hear it.

I have no advice here, sorry. Have 1 credit card through my bank with 0 annual fee. If you're confident of your spending/ paying off skills, AmEx is a good card to start/ build credit with, but be aware it's not accepted everywhere. 

I like Chase for the rewards in the higher tier of cards, and I've heard good things about Chase Freedom Unlimited. It does have a nice little sign-up bonus as well. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Post Title: Week 2 Report

CLARINET

Less than minimal

PHYSICAL

Pretty much none

SOLIDS

So much procrastination, but the c11-12 assignment due date was moved so I am significantly less stressed over that now. Homework for chapters 6-10 is due on Friday night. Fortunately I have most of 6-8 done already so I just have to do 9 and 10 this week. *smiles but also cries because already off-schedule for that*

WORK

I'm working half-days at the Dr's office all week except for Friday and Saturday (both off) which gives me time to do the things for Solids (as long as I actually do them). Friday is supposedly a paid holiday, but I am a contractor there not an employee, so we'll see if he pays me or not. I expect he won't.

I'm also dog-walking this week. They are sweet puppers but I have a complicated relationship with their new leashes.

Online tutoring is the same: three hours twice a week of sitting on my computer scrolling through Facebook hoping somebody logs on and says "halp."

TEETH

I'm 100% on brushing my teeth every night. Not on flossing, but still. We're about to see if any of it has paid off. (Probably not, since a few weeks of consistent brushing probably aren't enough to undo years of highly inconsistent brushing habits.)

I have a dentist appointment on Wednesday. I expect to have three or four more appointments following this (cleaning + filling the many cavities I probably have T_T)

MINOR STUFF

Flash Fiction Month starts on Wednesday asdfghjkl I don't know if I am ready for this!

I got voluntold to lead Bible study tomorrow night and the subject is prayer and I am definitely not ready to talk about this because my prayer life is practically nonexistent. Fortunately someone else agreed to lead the actual prayer but still.

OTHER

The guy I'm dating wants to hang out on Friday or over the weekend. I told him yes but it depends on whether or not I finish with the Solids assignment prior.

Still need to open a credit account. It's between the Discover IT Cash Back card and the Chase Freedom Unlimited. One of the things I like about the Discover card is their ID protection thing, but they're not taken in as many places and I don't necessarily relish altering my list of places I frequent based on where I get cashback (even though I have done this before given coupon availability).  And again, my meager income will probably land me a credit limit of some $500 which is manageable so I don't know how much I can really benefit from the.... benefits.... of the cards but still.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, Snickie said:

I got voluntold to lead Bible study tomorrow night and the subject is prayer and I am definitely not ready to talk about this because my prayer life is practically nonexistent. Fortunately someone else agreed to lead the actual prayer but still.

Jeez, no pressure, coming up with a lesson in a freaking day and a half. Hopefully it went well. 

On 6/29/2020 at 9:57 PM, Snickie said:

Still need to open a credit account. It's between the Discover IT Cash Back card and the Chase Freedom Unlimited. One of the things I like about the Discover card is their ID protection thing, but they're not taken in as many places and I don't necessarily relish altering my list of places I frequent based on where I get cashback (even though I have done this before given coupon availability).  And again, my meager income will probably land me a credit limit of some $500 which is manageable so I don't know how much I can really benefit from the.... benefits.... of the cards but still.

Personal 2 cents, I'd go with the one that I know is accepted at places I already shop. Benefits are nice, but incidental to how much time/ money you'd spent finding new places to shop, especially in the pandemic. 

On 7/1/2020 at 8:34 AM, Manarelle said:

Jeez, no pressure, coming up with a lesson in a freaking day and a half. Hopefully it went well. 

I actually had a week to do it but. Procrastination. It ended up going really well.

• Like 1