Jump to content

Jarric - Cunning Action


Jarric

Recommended Posts

Cunning Action

 

Hi, for those of you who don't know me I'm Jarric, and I usually challenge with the Rangers. Since joining the forums 3 and a bit years ago I've got into obstacle course racing (OCR), and most of my fitness goals have revolved around that. I also started Crossfit about 18 months ago.

 

When lockdown began my gym closed, and I started getting a home workout routine from my coach instead. Here in the UK gyms still aren't allowed to open, and I have now stopped getting workouts from my coach, so I need to do my own programming for the first time in a long while.

 

And that's where my visit to the Assassins comes in, I'm going to be experimenting with a lot of calisthenics type stuff and I couldn't think of a better place to do it or better people to learn from. This time round I only have 2 goals.

 

Cunning Action - 35XP

A simple goal, not sure if it's an easy one, stick to planned workouts 5 days per week. I'll adapt the plan as needed, but here's what I've got so far. I would really welcome any feedback on this:

  • Monday - "Push" - 5-7 rounds, rest as needed: handstand pushup variation, pushup variation, ring dip variation. Then hangboarding, crow pose practice, stretching.
  • Tuesday - "OCR 1" - 4 mile run (as running plan), then (alternate weeks) AMRAP 10': 3(5) handstand pushups, 5(8) pullups, 15 air squats. The 10 minutes handstand practice, stretching.
  • Wednesday - "Pull" - 5-7 rounds, rest as needed: pullup variation, horizontal pull variation, bridge variation. Then 10 minutes handwalking practice, 10 minutes splits work
  • Thursday - "OCR 2" - 4 mile run (as running plan), then (alternate weeks) AMRAP 10': 3(5) ring dips, 5(8) plyo pushups, 15 tuck(broad) jumps
  • Friday - "Legs and Core" - 5-7 rounds, rest as needed: squat variation, leg raise variation, plank variation, then hangboarding, l-sit practice, stretch

 

Week 0 is a trial, and I'll start tracking in week 1, so that's 35 workouts to execute for 35XP.

 

I'll also be running Saturdays and Sundays, but that's not part of the challenge this time round.

 

Acrobatic Roll - 15XP

Foam roll 3 times per week. It's something I need for my legs/hips/glutes, particularly for running. I've struggled to do this every day and as a result given up entirely in the past, so instead I'm going to give myself a more manageable goal that I know I actually have time for.15 sessions in 5 weeks, 15XP.

 

Icebreaker

Also, I want to get to know you guys a bit better, so I might throw a few icebreaker questions out there. To start with, what are your nerddoms? Personally I play a lot of D&D and Pathfinder right now, and watch/listen to a lot of it on High Rollers, Critical Role, Glass Cannon Podcast etc. I'm also a big fan of the Marvel films (though I still need to watch Spiderman Homecoming), and I've recently picked up Pokémon again - currently playing Black.

  • Like 7

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post

Hi Jarric! I will always follow you. 

 

If that sounded creepy I apologise. 

 

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

To start with, what are your nerddoms?

 

Hmmm. I don't think I have any? I'm a bad nerd.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to post

Following along. My nerddoms are LOTR, Star Trek, Star Wars, Systematic Theology, and miscellaneous.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post

Comic books, Marvel Movies, Star Wars, Buckaroo Banzai, love Doctor Who. Really any science fiction book or movie. 

  • Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Link to post

*pokes her head in* Howdy, welcome to our lair.

 

7 hours ago, Jarric said:

what are your nerddoms?

I was into Star Trek a while ago and I'll gladly rewatch anything from Voyager prior. I'm not caught up on any of the series from Enterprise forward though.

I do watch a bit of anime. I binged Naruto in my first senior year of college. I'm writing a fanfiction but what's published is outdated and not very good. 😅 More recently I've been watching My Hero but I'm very behind on that.

I'm not really a comics nerd, but I am co-authoring another fanfiction that takes place in the DC Universe. I don't mind you finding that one, mainly because what's published is mostly not my writing XD

Most recently I've rediscovered classical music nerddom via TwoSetViolin.

  • Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

Link to post
8 hours ago, deftona said:

Hi Jarric! I will always follow you. 

 

If that sounded creepy I apologise. 

 

Sounds like this should have been added to your jukebox:

 

 

10 hours ago, Jarric said:

Cunning Action - 35XP

A simple goal, not sure if it's an easy one, stick to planned workouts 5 days per week. I'll adapt the plan as needed, but here's what I've got so far. I would really welcome any feedback on this:

 

Following for the quarantine bodyweight routine!

 

Do you have specific goals for bodyweight stuff now that you've had some time to adjust to the new exercises? Or are you just looking to maintain strength until you can get back to the gym?

 

Icebreaker-wise, I'm not sure what my nerddoms are anymore.... as a teen I used to be a full-on fantasy novel and D&D nerd, but a lot of that fell away as I got older. I still love old-school "speculative fiction" style sci-fi writing, though. And I still secretly want to be a ninja. :D I guess I'm a bit of a diehard food/cocktail nerd now, I am usually fermenting something or running a test on something tasty, especially if it has something to do with bread or bagels.

  • Haha 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Link to post
10 hours ago, Jarric said:

I would really welcome any feedback on this:

I'm not sure that it is important to really keep strict rules about the difference between push and pull exercises, but it seems to me that hangboarding would be a pull and handstand walking would be a push? 

 

10 hours ago, Jarric said:

Acrobatic Roll - 15XP

I was a little disappointed that this wasn't parkour rolls :P 

 

10 hours ago, Jarric said:

To start with, what are your nerddoms

It used to be typical nerd stuff like fantasy novels, D&D, transformers, GI Joe, star wars and anime, but it seems like most of what I considered nerddoms back in the day are just merely pop culture now?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post
16 hours ago, deftona said:

Hi Jarric! I will always follow you. 

 

If that sounded creepy I apologise. 

 

 

Hmmm. I don't think I have any? I'm a bad nerd.

 

The difference between creepy and nice is often just based on who's saying something. Or their tone of voice. Anyway, it didn't sound creepy to me.

 

Given the amount of Assassin's Creed you've played recently, and other computer game talk on your thread, you're certainly not a bad nerd.

 

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. My nerddoms are LOTR, Star Trek, Star Wars, Systematic Theology, and miscellaneous.

 

Good to have you! I hadn't thought about non-fiction nerddoms (like Systematic Theology, which I had to google), so I guess for me I could add etymology and mathematical conversions!

 

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m an old school, my nerddom is being socially awkward. I also enjoy Star Wars, D&D, and to a lesser degree LOTR and Star Trek. I can also be a bike nerd.

 

Well I'm with you on the socially awkward! I've always been more of a trekky than a Star Wars fan though.

 

13 hours ago, h3r0 said:

Comic books, Marvel Movies, Star Wars, Buckaroo Banzai, love Doctor Who. Really any science fiction book or movie. 

 

I'd never heard of Buckaroo Banzai until just now, so I googled it: "Adventurer, brain surgeon, rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his crime-fighting team, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil alien invaders …" - is this really as insane as it sounds?

 

11 hours ago, Snickie said:

*pokes her head in* Howdy, welcome to our lair.

 

I was into Star Trek a while ago and I'll gladly rewatch anything from Voyager prior. I'm not caught up on any of the series from Enterprise forward though.

I do watch a bit of anime. I binged Naruto in my first senior year of college. I'm writing a fanfiction but what's published is outdated and not very good. 😅 More recently I've been watching My Hero but I'm very behind on that.

I'm not really a comics nerd, but I am co-authoring another fanfiction that takes place in the DC Universe. I don't mind you finding that one, mainly because what's published is mostly not my writing XD

Most recently I've rediscovered classical music nerddom via TwoSetViolin.

 

Thanks, pleased to be here :)

 

Ah you write, that's really cool! I've always enjoyed writing but I can't seem to construct a narrative longer than a single scene!

 

I'd not heard of TwoSetViolin. I'm glad I asked this question; it's giving me a lot of interesting things to look up.

 

7 hours ago, PaulG said:

Sounds like this should have been added to your jukebox:

 

 

 

Under the category "deceptive songs", because it sounds so sweet and lovely until you realise it's about stalking!

 

7 hours ago, PaulG said:

Following for the quarantine bodyweight routine!

 

Do you have specific goals for bodyweight stuff now that you've had some time to adjust to the new exercises? Or are you just looking to maintain strength until you can get back to the gym?

 

I'm going to do a separate post on that in a minute I think, because that's a big question!

 

7 hours ago, PaulG said:

 

Icebreaker-wise, I'm not sure what my nerddoms are anymore.... as a teen I used to be a full-on fantasy novel and D&D nerd, but a lot of that fell away as I got older. I still love old-school "speculative fiction" style sci-fi writing, though. And I still secretly want to be a ninja. :D I guess I'm a bit of a diehard food/cocktail nerd now, I am usually fermenting something or running a test on something tasty, especially if it has something to do with bread or bagels.

 

You sounds like a good nerd to know then, can't beat experimental food and drink!

 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm not sure that it is important to really keep strict rules about the difference between push and pull exercises, but it seems to me that hangboarding would be a pull and handstand walking would be a push? 

 

That's a good shout. I'll have to have a think on that, because I like having the hangboarding sessions as far apart as possible but you're right it doesn't 100% fit.

 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was a little disappointed that this wasn't parkour rolls :P 

 

No, it was just a D&D reference (as is cunning action). I do want to learn parkour rolls, if nothing else so I'm less scared of bailing from handstands! Not sure where to fit that in with everything else though.

 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It used to be typical nerd stuff like fantasy novels, D&D, transformers, GI Joe, star wars and anime, but it seems like most of what I considered nerddoms back in the day are just merely pop culture now?

 

Yeah, I know what you mean. I still consider computer games and comics nerdy (see my comment to Deffy above), but I don't know if they really are any more? I think D&D is probably still nerdy.

  • Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Jarric said:

 

I'd never heard of Buckaroo Banzai until just now, so I googled it: "Adventurer, brain surgeon, rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his crime-fighting team, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, must stop evil alien invaders …" - is this really as insane as it sounds?

 

 

More actually. Add extreme 80's style and somehow Jeff Goldblum is the most normal one in the movie while dressed as a cowboy. It is a must watch. 

 

vlcsnap-6106-08-31-16h07m23s964.thumb.png.e54af41be1a1387cdc1bdf0418e3fbef.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

Link to post

In answer to @PaulG's question, my big goals at the moment are:

  • OCR - perform as well as possible in obstacle course races. My next races will be in September with a bit of luck, so focuses for this are on running endurance, upper body strength, and efficient movement on obstacles (hard to train the last one without obstacle and climbing gyms being open)
  • Aesthetic - I had a goal to look as good as possible by Comic Con in London. That would have been last month if it wasn't cancelled, but it's still something I'm working on. I've been slowly losing weight over the course of the year, and today weighed in at 11 stone 5 pounds (159# or ~72.1kg).

I also have a load of smaller goals/stuff I'd like to do:

  • I've been doing a ton of handstands over the last 12 weeks and got significantly better, so I want to capitalise on that and get even better in terms of form, hold times, and get some distance handstand walking.
  • I want to do other cool tricks too - l-sits, crow pose, pistol squats, muscle ups (I'd love to add flags to this list, but with no equipment I wouldn't know where to start)
  • I injured my hip in January last year, so I want to continue making that stronger and less painful
  • I can't go bouldering at the moment, but I want to be in the best possible shape for it when I can (hence the hangboarding)
  • Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post
3 minutes ago, h3r0 said:

 

More actually. Add extreme 80's style and somehow Jeff Goldblum is the most normal one in the movie while dressed as a cowboy. It is a must watch. 

 

vlcsnap-6106-08-31-16h07m23s964.thumb.png.e54af41be1a1387cdc1bdf0418e3fbef.png

 

Holy shit, now this is a movie I need to see!

  • That's Metal 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post

This morning's workout:

Circuit, rest as needed:

 | Handstand pushups (to 2.5" pillow): 5, 5, 5, 4, 2, -

 | Diamond pushups: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

 | Ring dips: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

 

Hangboarding:

Top of board: 7 seconds on, 7 seconds off, x 7

25mm: 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off, x 6, 6, 5 

 

Crow Pose:

5 x 5 second holds at the top of each minute

 

Stretching: Wrists, groin, hamstrings, glutes

 

=====

 

Handstand pushups were really tough this morning; I couldn't do a single set unbroken. I've made 5 reps unbroken quite a few times recently, so I'm just going to chalk it up to a bad day and stick with sets of 5 for now. I also did some overhead stretches between rounds, which combined with focusing on form did seem to help. Diamond pushups were pretty easy, will got for sets of 7 next time. Dips were ok but I want to work on form and not arching my back as much before I up the reps.

 

Hangboarding is good - I had a bit of a breakthrough a couple of weeks ago where I'm now strong enough to sensibly use the hangboard without resistance bands, so I'm just building up slowly a few seconds at a time. At some point I'll get on to using smaller holds.

 

Crow pose I'm just really beginning with. Kneeling on my triceps hurts, is that something you get used to? Having sunburn and having scraped them up with the dips first probably didn't help.

 

Stretching I'm trying to write down how I feel and how deep I can get, so that I have some sense of progress. We'll see how it goes over the course of the challenge.

 

The whole workout took 1:35, which is way too long. I think I need to get on task more with the first bit - I was procrastinating with the handstand press-ups because I was finding them so hard - but I may also need to accept that 5-7 rounds is a bit much to fit with everything else. We shall see.

 

I also took a couple of videos, comments on form (or anything really) are always welcome:

 

 

  • Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post
6 hours ago, Jarric said:

Crow pose I'm just really beginning with. Kneeling on my triceps hurts, is that something you get used to?

This is a very real thing.  It took me a long time to be able to hold my knees on my triceps and it wasn't because I got used to it as much as it was I got stronger so I was putting less weight on them.  In the beginning I would suggest putting your weight more over your elbows if the triceps are too painful.  Then as you get stronger you can move your knees up your arms toward a crane pose (arms straight) 

 

 

  • Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post
On 6/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, Jarric said:

A simple goal, not sure if it's an easy one, stick to planned workouts 5 days per week. I'll adapt the plan as needed, but here's what I've got so far. I would really welcome any feedback on this:

 

I'm certainly no trainer, but might be worth keeping an eye on the AMRAP weeks, when you'll be doing back to back days of push and pull stuff. Otherwise, looks comprehensive, for sure. 

 

On 6/14/2020 at 4:41 PM, Jarric said:

Also, I want to get to know you guys a bit better, so I might throw a few icebreaker questions out there. To start with, what are your nerddoms? Personally I play a lot of D&D and Pathfinder right now, and watch/listen to a lot of it on High Rollers, Critical Role, Glass Cannon Podcast etc. I'm also a big fan of the Marvel films (though I still need to watch Spiderman Homecoming), and I've recently picked up Pokémon again - currently playing Black.

 

Welcome to the assassins. I dabble in a fair number of nerddoms like HP, Doctor Who, Good Omens/ anything Terry Pratchett, mostly just on a lighthearted fun level. If you really want to get a dissertation out of me, though, linguistics and cosplay are my big ol' passions. Not big on movies/ tv, but Marvel did make one heck of a cinematic universe. I'll watch all of 'em by the time I'm ancient, I'm sure.

 

19 hours ago, Jarric said:

Crow pose I'm just really beginning with. Kneeling on my triceps hurts, is that something you get used to? Having sunburn and having scraped them up with the dips first probably didn't help.

 

Can definitely see how that would not help. How are you getting into the pose? I found that starting off by standing on something and leaning forward to balance (as opposed to hopping your feet up into it) made it easier to get a comfortable position on the triceps. 

  • Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

 

Link to post
13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is a very real thing.  It took me a long time to be able to hold my knees on my triceps and it wasn't because I got used to it as much as it was I got stronger so I was putting less weight on them.  In the beginning I would suggest putting your weight more over your elbows if the triceps are too painful.  Then as you get stronger you can move your knees up your arms toward a crane pose (arms straight) 

 

 

 

Ah, that's interesting, ok. I googled crane pose to get a visual idea of the difference, and found a lot of sources saying that in crow and crane your shins should be on your triceps instead of your knees (as well as a lot indicating the opposite!). I'll experiment with leg placement a bit.

 

37 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I'm certainly no trainer, but might be worth keeping an eye on the AMRAP weeks, when you'll be doing back to back days of push and pull stuff. Otherwise, looks comprehensive, for sure

 

Yeah, good shout. I couldn't find a way to not have something back-to-back when I was putting it together. With luck I'll be able to do it by keeping the intensity in check, but that's something I'll have to watch.

 

37 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Welcome to the assassins. I dabble in a fair number of nerddoms like HP, Doctor Who, Good Omens/ anything Terry Pratchett, mostly just on a lighthearted fun level. If you really want to get a dissertation out of me, though, linguistics and cosplay are my big ol' passions. Not big on movies/ tv, but Marvel did make one heck of a cinematic universe. I'll watch all of 'em by the time I'm ancient, I'm sure.

 

Thank you, good to be here ;) . I can't believe that I didn't give Sir Terry Pratchett a mention! I've not seen Good Omens but it might well be my favourite book of all time. I should re-read it actually.

 

37 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Can definitely see how that would not help. How are you getting into the pose? I found that starting off by standing on something and leaning forward to balance (as opposed to hopping your feet up into it) made it easier to get a comfortable position on the triceps. 

 

I'm going from a crouch/squat, putting my knees on my triceps, and then rocking forward over my hands. So I think similar to what you're describing, but without the feet elevated to start.

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Thank you, good to be here ;) . I can't believe that I didn't give Sir Terry Pratchett a mention! I've not seen Good Omens but it might well be my favourite book of all time. I should re-read it actually.

 

I will restrain the high-pitched squee reaction, and simply recommend you give it a watch. They did a great job. 

 

10 minutes ago, Jarric said:

I'm going from a crouch/squat, putting my knees on my triceps, and then rocking forward over my hands. So I think similar to what you're describing, but without the feet elevated to start.

 

Yup, and if it works for you, go with that. I find that rocking forward takes the weight partially off the triceps and into core/ shoulder tension. Not initially, but once I got comfortable with my head being down and the balance going more to the center of the body rather than poised to drop back onto the feet. 

  • Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

 

Link to post

Ah excellent Jarric.  Your infiltration seems to be going as well as mine did ...

 

Ahem, what?  I mean!!!    Hey found you!  Great challenge!  Totally following along!! :)

 

  • Like 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

 

I will restrain the high-pitched squee reaction, and simply recommend you give it a watch. They did a great job. 

 

 

Yup, and if it works for you, go with that. I find that rocking forward takes the weight partially off the triceps and into core/ shoulder tension. Not initially, but once I got comfortable with my head being down and the balance going more to the center of the body rather than poised to drop back onto the feet. 

 

I will endeavour to find and watch it.

 

That's good to know, hopefully I will get used to it then.

 

54 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Ah excellent Jarric.  Your infiltration seems to be going as well as mine did ...

 

Ahem, what?  I mean!!!    Hey found you!  Great challenge!  Totally following along!! :)

 

 

Hey Puck, good to have you here :D

 

Be careful, or the assassins may uncover our master plan.

  • Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post

Last night I cooked dinner. I made a "what can I find in the fridge" pie, which turned out to be chorizo, bacon, leek and mushroom in a white sauce, topped with a potato and sweet potato mixed mash. It was bizarre, but really nice. I think we need to go shopping tonight though, we're definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel!

 

I also did my first rolling session. My calves are dramatically better than they were when I last rolled them on Saturday, so that's good. Top of my hamstrings where they meet my glutes are agony, which might be related to my sore knee. Or at least I hope it is, because I know how to deal with this.

 

======

 

This morning's workout was:

2 mile (~3.2km) run, being 1 mile warmup, 0.6 mile tempo, 0.4 mile easy

AMRAP 10': 3 handstand pushups, 5 pullups, 15 air squats

Handstand holds

Stretches

 

The run was only 2 miles because it's my running deload week, it'll be going up to 4 miles in week 1.

 

On the AMRAP I got 7 rounds and 1 rep. I was quite happy with that, but I've just looked back and I got 7 rounds 5 reps a few weeks ago, so maybe I can push a bit more. Regardless, the handstand pushups felt much stronger than yesterday, and everything else felt solid.

 

On handstand holds the best was a 5 count kicking up from standing, and an 8 count coming back off the wall. Progress is slow but it's definitely there. Stretches were fine, I'm finally at a point in a forward fold where I can honestly put my hands flat on the ground, which is nice.

 

=====

 

The whole workout took about 1:15. Given that I expect to be adding 2 miles running to this that is again much too long! I think part of my problem is that I assume 40 minutes of running, a 10 minute AMRAP, and 10 minutes of handstand practice, will take an hour. But it doesn't, because I have to transition between workouts, recover after the AMRAP, and set up some equipment.

 

My other problem is that I wrote this whole programme with a time limit in mind, and then decided to add stretching to every day after I'd done that. So I'm already 10-15 minutes over time just with the stretching. It needs to be done though, even if I need to sacrifice sets of something else to do it - no point in getting stronger if I can't move to use it.

  • Like 3

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post

Welcome to the Assassins' Den :D

What a full-on challenge! Those ring dips are looking good! The hangboarding was interesting, I had never seen this kind of thingy you can stick on a pulllup bar.

 

15 hours ago, Jarric said:

My other problem is that I wrote this whole programme with a time limit in mind, and then decided to add stretching to every day after I'd done that. So I'm already 10-15 minutes over time just with the stretching. It needs to be done though, even if I need to sacrifice sets of something else to do it - no point in getting stronger if I can't move to use it.

 

haaa prioritizing is hard, tough choices to make sometimes!

 

17 hours ago, Jarric said:

Ah, that's interesting, ok. I googled crane pose to get a visual idea of the difference, and found a lot of sources saying that in crow and crane your shins should be on your triceps instead of your knees (as well as a lot indicating the opposite!). I'll experiment with leg placement a bit.

 

I don't think it matters that much imo.  Oddly enough it hurts my right shin these days but not my triceps nor the left shin, I have no idea why.

  • Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Link to post
On 6/14/2020 at 11:41 PM, Jarric said:

To start with, what are your nerddoms?

I do enjoy a fair amount of what's widely regarded as "nerdy" in mainstream pop culture (LotR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superhero movies, videogames etc) but when it comes to truly being passionate about something and knowing an obscene amount of info/details/trivia revolving around it, it's  role playing games and pro wrestling.

  • Like 1
Link to post
14 hours ago, @mu said:

Welcome to the Assassins' Den :D

What a full-on challenge! Those ring dips are looking good! The hangboarding was interesting, I had never seen this kind of thingy you can stick on a pulllup bar.

 

Thank you! Yeah, we rent our house so I can't really screw a normal hangboard into the wall, so I was really pleased when I found this. 

 

14 hours ago, @mu said:

 

I don't think it matters that much imo.  Oddly enough it hurts my right shin these days but not my triceps nor the left shin, I have no idea why.

 

That's interesting. Guess I'll just have to play with it and see what works.

 

14 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

I do enjoy a fair amount of what's widely regarded as "nerdy" in mainstream pop culture (LotR, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Superhero movies, videogames etc) but when it comes to truly being passionate about something and knowing an obscene amount of info/details/trivia revolving around it, it's  role playing games and pro wrestling.

 

You say obscene amounts, I say appropriate for something you love :P

 

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post

Last night we went to the supermarket, and between losing track of time and the machine breaking so we had to re-scan the entire shop, I ended up getting home and going to bed pretty late.

 

=====

 

This morning I woke up a bit late and got distracted by things, so ended up starting my workout late. The workout was:

In a circuit:

 || Weighed pullups - 23# (~10.5kg): 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

 || Elevated single leg ring rows: 4+4, 4+4, 4+4, 4+4, 3+3

 || Head bridges: 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

10 minutes handwalking practice

Splits stretches

 

Pullups felt hard but good, ring row form was slipping hence the reduced reps at the end. I've never really done bridges before so I'm still feeling them out and hoping to progress pretty quickly.

 

On the handwalking I went for my first attempt and my wrist suddenly really hurt. I gave it a minute before trying again and it was fine, but then I got /the fear/. After that it took me most of the rest of the 10 minutes before I got a decent attempt, with the rest being me not kicking up hard enough for fear of falling forward. I got there in the end and finished with a couple of good attempts though.

 

Split stretches were fine. Full disclosure here, I'm nowhere near getting the splits and I'll be very surprised if I ever get there, but just getting my pelvis to tilt in vaguely the right direction would be a win I feel.

 

=====

 

This evening I cooked a sausage and apple cassolet bake type thing, which was lovely, and I've done my foam rolling. Now it's well past my bed time, so I'm off to bed!

  • Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Link to post
5 hours ago, Jarric said:

On the handwalking I went for my first attempt and my wrist suddenly really hurt.

I have started to get this recently which is why I have stopped handwalking.  90%+ of the time it's fine, but those one off times when it isn't fine, it REALLY isn't fine so I am now super hesitant to even do them at all.

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines