• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
topherfangio

Topher's Challenge

A bit late this time around, but I can't miss joining in on the fun!

Fitness Goals:

• Move up to the next level of workouts in the RFG

[/*:m:39xfp5qy]

• Eat a healthy breakfast every morning

• Lose 10 pounds[/*:m:39xfp5qy]

Life Goals:

• Work on the LevelMyLife site at least 5 hours per week

• Post here on Friday of every week to update[/*:m:39xfp5qy]

So, I would classify myself as a Human with a few levels of Monk who wants to continue training as a Monk and maybe add a few levels of Assassin soon :-)

Oh, and please follow me on Twitter as I do post fitness related things fairly often: http://www.twitter.com/topherfangio

Well, since I wrote down my goals, I've had breakfast every morning. Been mostly healthy, but yesterday shortly after breakfast I had some coffee cake, and this morning with breakfast I had some coffee, so I'd say I'm probably at a C or C+ for that.

Haven't gotten to work out the last two times due to 1) me being a panzy on Wednesday, and 2) getting flagged down by a homeless lady today. But I think I did some good this morning, and I'm working from home which means push ups and pull ups whenever I get a 60 second break :-)

For my life goals, I'm planning on working on LevelMyLife tonight and tomorrow to get in my 5 hours, and I'm pretty sure I can do it. I'll post again with an update on Monday if I can.

Ahh, to work from home - I envy you! I know it has its ups and downs, but I'd love to have access to my freeweights and fitness DVDs so I could burn off some energy whenever my attention wanders...which is way more often than I like. People at work STILL like to heckle me about my yoga mat, even though I've been working here for over a year and they all know that if I don't stretch, I can't sit (stupid sciatica).

So how has the breakfast effort been going? My stomach is all angry requires FOOD! IN! NOW! as soon as I get up in the morning, so I have a hard time picturing a weekday morning without breakfast. Have you been trying to cut back on coffee? I love my coffee, but I've weaned myself off of adding sugar to it.

Alethea - Thanks for the support!

halftruths - I work for a small startup, and most days, I go into the office, but the whole office is gone today so I decided to work from home. It's nice being a software developer...you can generally do your job from anywhere :-)

Breakfast is going okay. I've at least been eating every morning, and it's always included a piece of fruit...it's just also included some other stuff I probably shouldn't have :-)

As far as the coffee goes: it's not Paleo, and I've been trying to be more Paleo, so I've stopped drinking it as much. But more to the point, I don't really like coffee, so I usually drink it with tons of sugar and creamer. I've cut back almost entirely off the sugar and mostly off of the creamer over the last few months. It's funny, we went to Cancun for our honeymoon, and I drank the coffee black (it was GOOOOD coffee), so I acquired the taste for it pretty quickly.

Oh, and a quick update: I've done 30 push-ups so far today and hung on the pull-up bar quite a few times (can't do a single pull-up anymore, I'll work on that).

Well, it's Friday again! And boy what a Friday...well, boy what a Thursday that led to today's Friday!

I won't claim to have eaten properly over the last few days, but I have had breakfast of some sort every day (today might be an exception though). I didn't set any specific goals towards eating while I was here, but I've actually done much better than I usually do. I even got somewhat of a workout on Wednesday because we went to the park and I tried to do some pull-ups and general hanging/swinging around on my ams. Not an RFG workout, but something nonetheless.

I'm not sure if I'm losing weight, but I can definitely see my stomach getting smaller, so that's fine by me. I'll weigh myself when I get back home and make sure I'm still somewhat on track. Not expecting much after Thanksgiving, but I don't want to balloon back up.

As far as working 5 hours per week on LevelMyLife, I'd say I got an hour in so far...total...so it's been kinda a wash. I wound up spending probably 10 hours in the last two days working on a completely different project that I thought would be fun, and it has been. I really want to finish it first and see where it goes, I think others would really appreciate it too.

Anyway, I'll try to post early next week about the remainder of the weekend.

Yay for breakfast! Regarding your weight loss, how are your clothes fitting? I'm curious as you've noticed visible reduction in your abdominal region.

I can't do a single pull-up either *cry*. You mentioned hanging from the monkey bars - are you doing negatives to build up the pull-up capabilities?

Clothing seems to depend on the day. I've noticed some of my pants fitting better, but the biggest change has been that my rings keep falling off. Part of that is the cold, but even on warm days they slip off my fingers like butter.

I was doing negative pull-ups for a while, but when I started working out, I found a decent way to do assisted ones because the pull-up bar that I use has a nice little bar at the bottom for your feet, and I can use my legs to help. That mixed with bicep curls was actually working pretty good. But I haven't been to the gym at all this week. We got in really late on Monday and my workout-partner's car died on Tuesday night making Wednesday a bit of a wash (even though I have a car...he was my motivation). In addition, I've been rather sick, so I haven't felt like doing anything, but every once in a while I'll get down and do some push-ups, so hopefully I will be able to get back into the swing of it soon.

Didn't post on Friday or this weekend because I was out of town and had really crappy Internet access, so here is the update:

Just started working out again this morning. Did a short and easy workout this morning to try to get back into the swing of it. Since I've had such a long break, I feel somewhat rejuvenated and able to do it, but I definitely also feel weaker. But I think this could be good for my goal of starting the next level up in the RFG. My body has had time to rest before I kill it again :-)

I've pretty much had breakfast every morning...but it hasn't been healthy in a while. Yesterday I had a fried meat pie with eggs and grits, and before that I had a biscuit with jelly...so not doing so great there, but I made myself some nice eggs this morning, so I'm getting back on track.

As far as the weight...yeah, I went back up to 250 this past two weeks, so I'm doing pretty poorly there, but I'm still going to try to make it. We ordered the shakes that I mentioned in a previous post, and that should help a lot as most of my bad eating is at breakfast and lunch. I'm looking to get back on the right track and really shed some pounds. So, keep me honest if I'm posting something horrible on Twitter that I'm eating for lunch!

Finally: haven't really touched LevelMyLife, but I thought about it quite a bit yesterday because I was reading a book on motivation, and I think I'm going to incorporate some of the practices outlined in the book. Also, I thought I would have all of this weekend to work on it, but it looks like my wife isn't going out of town as planned, so I'm really going to have to step it up and make it happen. My initial deadline is now only 9 days away! Yikes!

So...really sucked this one up.

Didn't lose 10 pounds. Didn't finish LevelMyLife. Didn't move up in the RFG. Didn't post every friday. But I ate a healthy breakfast probably 30-50% of the time.

So, read a few books, gonna try a few things for the next challenge. I'll let you know what I try and my progress when the next challenge starts.

Sign in to follow this