• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

foxinthenorth

Fox vs. The Cliffs of Insanity

Well, the internet told me the most common cause of achilles tendon pain is sudden increased in training volume/overuse, surprise surprise. I genuinely thought I would be fine, after two weeks of 3-4 runs a week, going up to daily. My husband talked me down to 6 days a week because "all training programs have a rest day unless you're that guy who wants to run a marathon every day" and he was riiiiiiight.

So, I shortened yesterday's run by 5 minutes and today's run by 10 minutes, going slow both times, and I'm moving my rest day from Wednesday to tomorrow. I've taped up with KT tape and I'm icing them. Hopefully that'll do the trick. I've generally had a lot of success with KT tape and my husband just ordered me more so I'll tape up for a week or so.

Run stats:

6/27: 1.66 mi, 24m 43s, 14:52 pace

6/28: 1.28 mi, 20m, 15:38 pace

😭I want my normal pace and duration back.

I did several yoga moves after I ran to cool down, but kinda still want to do a guided routine later. We'll see. I'm gonna write now and let my calves rest.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:48 AM, Salinger said:

Hey Fox, how are your achilles now?

Hope you are well xx

Oh! I didn’t see this before I wrote my update. Hopefully icing today and resting tomorrow will help. 😊 Thanks for checking in!

• Like 1

So... *looks both ways* *sighs* A big part of this challenge for me was keeping promises to myself. So I have been really hesitant to modify or give myself any leeway, because that feels like failing to hold up my bargain with myself.

But I also legit don't wanna get hurt, and I thought I was gonna be immune to overuse injury by like force or will or something.

So I'm making a recovery plan, that's a slight modification to my original plan, but it's planned ahead of time and I'm going to stick to it, and it's still going to be keeping a promise to myself.

Monday 06/29/20 Rest
Tuesday 06/30/20 15 minutes
Wednesday 07/01/20 Rest
Thursday 07/02/20 20 minutes
Friday 07/03/20 15 minutes
Saturday 07/04/20 Rest

If my Achilles tendons are feeling better by then, then I go back to 30 minute runs, 6 days a week, the original plan. If I'm still having pain, I'll plan out another recovery week.

Per the original plan, a streak is considered meditating, doing yoga, and sticking to the run schedule.

Yoga and meditation are still going strong, at least! 👍

• Like 3

Augh I did more research and now I'm worried 😭 Even after today's rest day and taping they ache a bit at rest, like when I'm just sitting on the couch let alone walking or running, and general consensus on the internet is you probably shouldn't keep running on painful achilles tendons because tendon injuries can escalate quickly. *cue more crying emojis*

So I know I literally just posted that new plan like 10 minutes ago but I have a different recovery plan now...

The rest of this week will be spent doing recovery exercises:

• Eccentric heel drops, 3 sets of 15 each side
  • Foam roll calves twice a day
  • Stretch the calves GENTLY and thoroughly stretch the rest of the legs and hips

I have put "Recovery" in my spreadsheet and updated my Habitica daily to "Running Recovery." I will reevaluate on Saturday.

😞

• Like 2

7 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

I have put "Recovery" in my spreadsheet and updated my Habitica daily to "Running Recovery." I will reevaluate on Saturday.

From someone who tried to exercise through a serious injury (because I didn't realize how serious it was) this is the best plan.  Great job listening to your body!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Novaurora said:

From someone who tried to exercise through a serious injury (because I didn't realize how serious it was) this is the best plan.  Great job listening to your body!!!!!!

Thanks 🤗I'm bummed so it helps to have people reminding me that this is important for the integrity of my actual physical body and I'm not quitting or taking a break because of lack of commitment. When I was reading last night I kept seeing things like "pain comes from damage to the tendon, not inflammation" and "exercising on a damaged tendon can cause it rupture or tear" and I'm like 

tenor.gif

nope nope nope nope nope

I already ran 3 times after the pain started so. Better safe than sorry.

13 minutes ago, foxinthenorth said:

Thanks 🤗I'm bummed so it helps to have people reminding me that this is important for the integrity of my actual physical body and I'm not quitting or taking a break because of lack of commitment.

I get that.  It is hard to slow down when you're enjoying what you're ding.  Are you considering seeing a doc?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

I get that.  It is hard to slow down when you're enjoying what you're ding.  Are you considering seeing a doc?

My chiropractor is a sports physical therapist so if it isn't feeling better by the end of this week I'll probably ask him about it. I'll probably manage to throw my back out by then anyway. 😝 When I went in last week I told him my left heel was tingling so he checked the heel area for cysts or anything weird that might be impinging on the tibial nerve and didn't find anything alarming. I found a tight/painful area in my calf muscle when foam rolling this morning so I am hoping that this recovery week helps. But I have a doc I can go to if it doesn't.

• Like 1

Yes, hello, good morning, this challenge is becoming a lesson in learning the importance of moderation. The internet told me 3x15 heel drops which I did yesterday and now my upper calves are hella sore so I'm going to alternate days of 3x15 and 3x7 because I don't want to overdo it and aggravate my calf muscles, which I need to be both strong and flexible in order to fix this achilles problem.

On the plus side, unrelated, I'm writing again! Things aren't that bad, I just got real set on this running thing and have been having a little trouble adjusting my expectations. It's okay. I know that resting and recovering is the right move, and I think/hope I'm already starting to feel a little better.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Novaurora said:

WOOOHOOOO!!!  Write your heart out!!

The thing I was gonna write last night, before I cracked and had a meltdown all over my sister (who I had been trying not to vent at because she has such a stressful job but the bad stars aligned and to her credit she was only mad at me until she realized I was just losing it like everyone else), is a scene immediately after the unrequited crush falls in the ocean (in the winter) and is warming up in the lighthouse (I get to put whatever I want in this story, so there is a LIGHTHOUSE and the lighthouse keeper has a parrot) and one of the boys steals all the crush's attention from my main character who did all the work to get her out of the water. TEENAGE DRAMA FOR DAYS YO!!! I had a fairly low-drama teenagerdom and the only person I ever dated or was seriously attracted to/interested in was my husband, so I find writing the angsty crushes of teenagers to be a nice cathartic experience, because it doesn't bring up any bad memories and it lets me work with big end-of-the-world emotions but the actual problems they're dealing with are small enough to my 30-and-married mind that I can set them aside and not feel heavy over them. 😂I had to be talked into starting it, though, because I was convinced it was going to be embarrassing. Turns out it's pretty fun, and I can decide who I let read it, so it's not embarrassing after all. 😝I'm going to get back to it tonight and have fun ramping up the boarding school drama. And then I'll write a fight scene, which are my favorite.

• Like 2

Awesome that as you wait for your body to heal you are using that time to write more. I love lighthouses. They seem so romantic to me. I used to always dream of living in one.Then I read what a  lighthouse keeper's life was like, and I decided it was more fun just to visit them.😉

• Like 1

Hugs, meltdowns are hard... Glad you manage to find a way through it. You writing is so imaginative! There's such a romance around lighthouses...

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 10:15 AM, Elastigirl said:

Awesome that as you wait for your body to heal you are using that time to write more. I love lighthouses. They seem so romantic to me. I used to always dream of living in one.Then I read what a  lighthouse keeper's life was like, and I decided it was more fun just to visit them.😉

I did some quick googles when I decided my characters needed to go inside the lighthouse and yeah, I don't think I'd want to be a lighthouse keeper either.

15 hours ago, //Min said:

Hugs, meltdowns are hard... Glad you manage to find a way through it. You writing is so imaginative! There's such a romance around lighthouses...

Thank you! I feel like occasional meltdowns are kinda unavoidable in 2020. I think this is only my second big on since it all started mid-March although I probably have a mini-crisis once a week lol. I once said "At least I only have meltdowns on weekends" and my husband look at me and said "No...you don't..." hahaha :)

--

CHALLENGE UPDATE!!!!

To no one's surprise, a week of rest really, really helped. I'm still having pain In the back of my heel, but lower down around the tendon insertion point, and the higher parts of the tendon are feeling much better. I've been a couple days without tape now, and I've been doing the heel dips, stretching (though not enough, never enough, my hamstrings, send help), and foam rolling. I also bought a pair of Oofos slides because about two weeks ago my mother in law was like "You have foot problems, I thought of you immediately, these shoes changed my life" but I was like, I don't want chunky foam sandals, I'm fine, and literally the next day I hurt my Achilles. So I'm wearing the Oofos indoors and idk but those of you who have foot or back problems, you know how standing in the kitchen on the hard floor to cook dinner hurts? NO LONGER! It's only been two days but it's definitely worth $50 to cook and clean without my feet hurting (and without having to put on outdoor shoes just to be in the kitchen for a bit). Plus, now when I visit people with hardwood floors, I can wear them as house shoes or slippers and not have to deal with pain or wear my shoes indoors. (The worst instance of this hardwood floor problem was when I was visiting my parents last thanksgiving, I was in the kitchen cooking with my mom in socks for a while and the next morning my knee hurt so bad I couldn't bend my leg to put my pants on 😬It ceared up after a couple hours but that was definitely no bueno. These feet problems run in the family so usually my mom wear shoes or slippers but I didn't have any at the time and I learned my lesson, hah.)

So tl;dr, recovery efforts are helping. The internet (and my sister who recently got her kinesiology degree) says pain right at the base of the heel might be the bursa and not the tendon, which is unfortunate because that takes longer to heal, but it's good to have the pain in the rest of the tendon improving after only a week.

Here's my plan for the next week, given that I'm lots better but still having some pain (usually after walking or doing the heel dips). I will continue doing the heel dips and foam rolling, and try out a run schedule as follows:

Sunday, July 5: Rest

Monday, July 6: 15 minute jog and see what happens (it's okay to stop and walk if it hurts)

Tuesday, July 7: Rest

Wednesday, July 8: 15 minute jog

Thursday, July 9: Rest

Friday, July 10: 15 minute jog

Saturday, July 11: Rest

If the 15 minute jogs go well and it doesn't get any worse, then I'll increase the next week to 20 minutes.

Maybe by the end of the challenge I'll get back up to 30 minutes daily. :)

You all are the best! Thanks for reminding me that recovery is important and avoiding injury is just as much a part of fitness as exercising.

Yoga and meditation have been going well. I did two days where I did my own yoga flow, which was okay because I got to hang out in my favorite poses, but I prefer following a video. I started Yoga With Adriene's July calendar with my sister and I'm two days behind already. 😁I hit my 21-day streak yesterday but don't have any ice cream so my reward will wait until after we go to the grocery store.

• Like 2

MY DUDES this whole "listen to your body" thing is a CHALLENGE.

Where I was having only minor aches yesterday, today I am having distinct pains. Why? Who knows. I didn't do anything that different yesterday. I walked around the neighborhood in my flip flops instead of my hiking boots, and I wore my skate shoes to the grocery store. But if walking causes this much irritation, running seems unwise.

I'm switching today to a rest day and continuing with the foam rolling and heel dips. We'll see how I'm feeling on Wednesday (just gonna check in each day I have a run scheduled instead of redoing the schedule every day). 🙄

Foam rolling and heel dips seem like a wise plan. Flip flops can be bad for your feet. You  have to curl your toes to keep your feet in them, and that can cause your stride to be messed up

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Foam rolling and heel dips seem like a wise plan. Flip flops can be bad for your feet. You  have to curl your toes to keep your feet in them, and that can cause your stride to be messed up

Yeah...I normally find them comfortable because of the arch support they have, but arch support seems to not be the main problem this time. I'll stick to shoes with laces this week.

• Like 1

Welp, I'm not gonna run today, and I'm gonna put the KT tape back on because that seemed to help. I do have a (thankfully brief) history of neurological pain so there does come a point where I start to wonder if my body is stuck on the pain sensation and the injury has actually healed...but I don't think we're there yet. It hasn't been *that* long. And the time I had the neurological problem, I kept walking/hiking on a foot that hurt for about 3 days, and it spiraled from there and then took 12 weeks to get a diagnosis and appropriate treatment. So, uh, I should remember that and be generous with the rest, even if I miss running and am scared of losing momentum.

I've been doing 3 sets of 10 eccentric heel dips this week because it was too much effort to keep track of switching between long sets and short sets, and the soreness in my calves went away so I think I've adjusted well to the exercise.

Still got my streak going...even if I meditate before bed and do shorter yogas some days. 😬

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:11 PM, foxinthenorth said:

MY DUDES this whole "listen to your body" thing is a CHALLENGE.

Glad you are taking the time you need!!!  It is hard, but its worth it!

10 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Still got my streak going...even if I meditate before bed and do shorter yogas some days. 😬

YAASSSSS!!!  Congrats!!

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 7:22 PM, Novaurora said:

Glad you are taking the time you need!!!  It is hard, but its worth it!

YAASSSSS!!!  Congrats!!

Thanks again for your encouragement!!

I put fresh KT tape on and I'm going to do Yoga With Adriene's 45-minute deep stretch yoga routine with husband at lunch (he's been working overtime all week so I think the long routine will do him good) and then I'm going to do a nice easy 15 minute jog and see how it feels.

I shall return with updates later.

Yesterday morning was tough, which had the benefit of reminding me to meditate sometime mid-morning. Was it helpful? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe. I felt better after lunch and a bit of yoga and I psyched myself up and got about 20 minutes of functional work time, which was 20 more than the morning so that boosted my mood.

• Like 2

UPDATE!!

I didn't do yoga yet because husband didn't want to take a break yet. (We normally get half days on Fridays during the summer so I'm done for the weekend, he's just been pulling 10 and 11 hours days this week.)

I went for my jog and good news/bad news:

Good news — My left achilles didn't hurt at all!

Bad news — The right one hurt a lot!

I jogged 4 minutes until the right one got to a point I thought I should ease up. I walked 3 minutes and it was feeling better so I jogged another 3 and stopped when I got more of a sharper/twingy pain. Total, just under 10 minutes.

I did my eccentric heels dips and stretched. Foam rolled before, gonna do some more rolling later.

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Hope the yoga goes well!

Sorry you had a tough morning yesterday ... sending love xx

Thanks Sal! It's nothing too bad, just dealing with some attention/focus issues that got a lot worse when the pandemic hit. I spent 45 minutes unable to start a specific task I needed to do and hit a frustration spiral. So I've resurrected the idea of whether or not I ought to see a professional. 🙄I was able to talk to a friend midmorning and that was helpful. I felt much better in the afternoon and evening which is good because I'm trying to be strong and supportive while my husband is working so much overtime 😅Then we got to talk to some kids (I say kids but they're in their late teens now) that husband used to live with.

• Like 3

Sorry you are dealing with that Fox. 

I totally get it, and it is frustrating yes!! 

Talking is good, everyone should have some sort of therapy i think xx

• Like 1