Maigs Finishes Pulling Herself Together

Maigs

The beginning of the year looked a bit like this:

1d2c7642a4060855695d72ab4d376e39.jpg

Tax season took a lot out of me and I ate poorly and did very little exercise, or much of anything besides eat and work and gain 30lbs. Last challenge I started pulling myself back together. I started running again and made some progress on getting my eating back on track, and on the very last day of the challenge got my butt back into the kickboxing gym. Work is maybe slowing down and we've technically started our 4 day work week summer schedule, though this week is going to be a little crazy and involve long days and probably working at least some of Friday

So this challenge is mostly a continuation of the last one.

Food - Just eat reasonably. Aiming for 1600-2000 calories a day.

Running - Run 2-3 times a week. I made it into Week 6 of Couch-to-5k last challenge, then found this running plan and decided to adjust this to my abilities and goals. It's a day-by-day decision on what that adjustment actually means, but really, the goal is to just solidify the habit of running a few times a week.

Kickboxing - Easing back into this, my goal is to go twice a week

Planning - Plan the next day each evening. What I'm going to eat, what my exercise will be, and if I'm running, what my specific adjustment to the running plan will be and program it into my Garmin watch

Side Quest: Finish and organize the garage - A previous owner put insulation in the garage, but then didn't put anything over it. So the insulation has been getting torn up, and it just doesn't look great. So last week I ordered what is hopefully decent quality pegboard (the stuff in the store looked like chewed up cardboard...) and it's supposed to show up in early July. Before it comes in I'd like to go through the garage and get rid of the stuff that we don't want or need and once it's here, actually put it up and then organize our stuff so we can actually find and get to things when we need them.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

17 minutes ago, Xena said:

Looks great! Love your garage goal, and I think that getting back into regular kickboxing will help everything else fall into place.

Thanks! I figure with as picky as we are it will take us a long time to find the right house so we might as well keep working towards making this place as good as we can.

I'm really happy to be getting back into kickboxing. Until February I was going 3-5 times a week and really enjoying it

• Like 3

Following. I may borrow your planning goal.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

I'm glad that kickboxing is back!!  Here to support you!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Sunday

So I mostly talked about this during my last challenge wrap up, but oh well, you get it twice :D

Food - This was good even though I hadn't planned it out ahead of time, and I was within my goal

Running - I did a modified Week 1 Day 1 of the run faster program, where I ran (most of) 1 mile at 12-12:30min/mile pace, then did 3x30sec strides where I worked my way up to nearly full sprint with 1 minute rest intervals

Kickboxing - n/a

Planning - Had today mostly planned out with my gym bag packed and all but dinner figured out for food

Monday

Pretty good day. I went to work a little early and stayed a little late getting most of the way though a big project that I will be super happy to have off my desk. Hubs and I were both too hungry to wait for me to get home so he grabbed something from the deli while buying some groceries we need and I grabbed a vegetarian runza (local-ish cuisine) that was a reasonable amount of calories and perfect sized to get me through kickboxing without being uncomfortable one way or the other. Had a good kickboxing workout that left me feeling slightly less pathetic than Saturday's session. Got to see two of my favorite trainers which was nice.

Food - Basically on track and within my goal. I'd rather stay away from fast food, but all things considered, it wasn't a bad choice

Running - n/a

Kickboxing - Check!

Planning - I have tomorrow's run programed into my Garmin and all but lunch planned out for food. We're out of leftovers so I'll probably just end up buying a salad at the grocery store

• Like 3

Sounds like a solid Monday.  Hope the rest of the week follows suit.

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Tuesday

Apparently I'm getting hit with a second wave of tax season craziness. So much stuff has come in in the last week that I'm semi-swamped again. So I'll be working long-ish days until I'm back out from under the pile a bit. I basically stuck to my food plan today, though I did have some of the candies that a coworker brought in (another local food: Baker's Candies) I stayed within my calorie goal. After I got home I made it out for a run. It was good, though my Garmin told me it was:

Screenshot_20200616-210804.png

I don't have enough data using the Garmin to really know how I feel about that. I certainly feel like my runs are unproductive sometimes since I still struggle so bad, but I'm obviously doing better than I was a month ago

Food - check
Running - Week 1 Day 2 of the running plan. The "goal" was 4-5 intervals of 3 minutes at 10-10:30mi/mile and 3 minutes rest interval. I was closer to 10:30-11:00min/mi for the first 3 and 11:30-12:00 for the last one, which I'm happy with. I did have to take a longer than 3 minute rest interval before the fourth one because I needed the extra time to catch my breath

Screenshot_20200616-215359.png

Kickboxing - n/a

Planning - Tomorrow's going to be a rest day since we have online D&D and I'll probably be late for that as it is. I have my food halfway planned out, but need to figure out what I'm doing for dinner

• Like 2

Give that Garmin the finger and tell it to stick it where the sun don't shine.  Unproductive is sitting on your ass.

tenor.gif.ed84595bb8ea453b68e9d746e1586bd8.gif

(Me to the Garmin)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

“Unproductive “ seems overly judgmental.

20 hours ago, Novaurora said:

Give that Garmin the finger and tell it to stick it where the sun don't shine.  Unproductive is sitting on your ass.

tenor.gif.ed84595bb8ea453b68e9d746e1586bd8.gif

(Me to the Garmin)

I agree with both of these ^^

I feel like the algorithms the watches uses to figure out your fitness can be pretty flawed because (among other things) they don't have enough information. My watch figures out a proxy for VO2max each run based on my HR and pace (how hard do I have to work to run at some given pace). It might adjust for total gain, but it doesn't adjust at all (for example) for the roughness of the trail. I get massively different fitness scores based on the type of course I do. It also doesn't really know what to do with interval work.

If you want to use the metrics from your watch, I would suggest comparing individual measurements from similar types of runs.

It would also be important to know if it adjusts for temperature conditions. I think some of them do, but then humidity would be a whole different thing that I think it not considered.

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 6/16/2020 at 10:06 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

“Unproductive “ seems overly judgmental.

That's what I thought!

On 6/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, Novaurora said:

Lol :D 

On 6/17/2020 at 6:25 PM, Xena said:

I feel like the algorithms the watches uses to figure out your fitness can be pretty flawed because (among other things) they don't have enough information. My watch figures out a proxy for VO2max each run based on my HR and pace (how hard do I have to work to run at some given pace). It might adjust for total gain, but it doesn't adjust at all (for example) for the roughness of the trail. I get massively different fitness scores based on the type of course I do. It also doesn't really know what to do with interval work.

If you want to use the metrics from your watch, I would suggest comparing individual measurements from similar types of runs.

It would also be important to know if it adjusts for temperature conditions. I think some of them do, but then humidity would be a whole different thing that I think it not considered.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly worried about it since I haven't had it all that long. It doesn't have enough data on me, and I don't have enough data on how it judges me. I was more surprised than anything.

It looks like it may judge my heat acclimation but doesn't have enough data for it yet. There's also something about altitude acclimation, which I'm sure it would have very unflattering things to say about me if we went into the mountains because I do not acclimate. I lived in Denver for a year and still struggled by the end

Wednesday

I'd planned for yesterday to be a rest day anyway, but then I also ended up working past 8pm (and finished a gnarly return) so definitely no exercising. I had also figured Hubs would get dinner since I told him I'd probably be late but he still hadn't eaten by the time I got home so we grabbed Taco Bell. I was still within my calorie goal (who knew you don't need a crunchwrap and two tacos) so it was fine. And my weight has been trending downward this week, even this morning after the risk of fast-food-sodium-bloat. I did not make a plan for today since I figured I had better things to do with my hourish before going to bed.

Food - acceptable

Running - n/a

Kickboxing - n/a

Planning - nope

Thursday

Despite not having a plan the day went pretty well. I did not exercise again because I had to run around town a bit after work and didn't want to be out as late as yesterday. That's okay, as long as I make it to kickboxing tomorrow or Saturday I'm right in line with my goal. Plus, we got some nasty-ish storms this afternoon with more expected tonight and I got rained on enough as it was :) I still need to make my plan for tomorrow, but I'm out of lunch foods and I have no idea when I'll be home (yes, we're technically closed tomorrow, but I've got too much to do to not go in) so I'm a little stumped.

Food - good

Running - n/a

Kickboxing - n/a

Planning - I'm trying to get something figured out before bed

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

I was still within my calorie goal (who knew you don't need a crunchwrap and two tacos)

I switched from their quesadilla and a taco to a power bowl.  No regrets.

• Like 1

Well, it all fell apart a little this weekend.

Friday I had to run across town at lunch for an appointment so I tried a new-to-me place out that way and got a veggie burger with waffle fries and a soda. Then for dinner I just wasn't feeling cooking so we ordered a pizza. We ended up looking at another house right after work (hard pass) and so I didn't exercise even though I technically had time. And I didn't make a plan for the next day

Saturday I had leftover pizza for breakfast and dinner. I went into work for a few hours and got some Dr Pepper on the way. I spent most of the afternoon getting caught up on domestic stuff that had been lagging for a bit, including doing some cleaning in the garage to prep for the work we're (hopefully) doing over 4th of July weekend. No planning was done

Sunday was a lazy day. I finally got around to making a new recipe I bought ingredients for long enough ago that I was surprised the produce was still good. Asian Quinoa Salad. I left out the cucumber and cilantro since I'm meh on those anyway and didn't want to deal with the inevitable amounts left over. The recipe itself ended up being meh and I won't make it again. It wasn't bad, just meh. Other than that I couldn't say what I did for the rest of the day. I think I made it out for a walk at some point and I did go grocery shopping (and dropped off textile recycling that had been taking up space in the garage while I was out). Still no plans made for the next day. Oh, and I bought ice cream while shopping and ate half a pint. 

Monday was back at work. I had some leftovers from Sunday, but couldn't bring myself to eat them so I went out for a veggie wrap and chips at lunch. For dinner I did convince myself to actually cook and disappointingly, one of our favorite recipes came out wrong :( I think we used too much potato and it blanded it out. I finished off my pint of ice cream for desert. I expected to work pretty late so I didn't bring my gym bag. I ended up getting out at a decent time, but what looked like a nasty storm was rolling in so I didn't run. Probably could have since it lasted less than an hour and went back to being sunny

3 hours ago, Xena said:

That all sounds kind of bleh. Except the ice cream. That part sounded great.

I agree, ha.

Sorry your weekend wasn't what you wanted it to be.  I too hope you get to start kicking things again soon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fonzico said:

So hard to stick to the plan when work is crazy! I hope it settles down for you for real here soon...

Thanks. Luckily it's not too bad, I just got a little surprised by how much stuff came in in the last two weeks when my stuff had seemed to calm way down.

4 hours ago, Xena said:

That all sounds kind of bleh. Except the ice cream. That part sounded great.

The cooking adventures don't sound like they've been too rewarding the past couple days.

Yeah, the cooking was very  disappointing. The one last night was weird cause I've made it quite a few times and it's normally one of our favorites so I don't quite know what happened. The ice cream was great, Ben & Jerry's always is :)

4 hours ago, Xena said:

Hopefully you can get to the gym soon. Kicking something will help!

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

I too hope you get to start kicking things again soon.

Well, on that note: the off track-ness continues. Still no real plan made. I did make myself eat the last of the Asian Quinoa Salad for lunch, but since it was predictably unsatisfying I went to the gas station and bought a candy bar and soda. Then I was literally taking my shoes off getting ready to change into my gym clothes when I realized that I forgot my gym shoes at home. So I stayed at work another half hour, long enough to still be there when my dad texted me that my 29 year old cousin died, likely drug related. I'm okay, I wasn't at all close to him or his immediate family, but I needed to leave and process that privately. I just saw him last summer for the first time in 17 years, and while drug use doesn't surprise me, he seemed like an alright guy.

I'd promised Hubs that I'd stop and grab some something from the store on my way home so I made a detour through the ice cream isle and bought another pint. I figured I had an appropriate excuse today

Lost my mojo this week. Once I get off track, it's hard to come up with a plan for the next day, then without a plan the next day is off track and it become a bit of a spiral. I'm missing key ingredients for meals I was gonna cook (grocery store didn't have something I had two onions go bad) so I haven't really cooked which means I have no leftovers for lunches. But that shouldn't stop me from making a plan. So on that note, tomorrow:

Breakfast: bagel

Lunch: two of the Sweet Earth burritos I have in the freezer

Dinner: stop by the store and buy an onion on my way home so I can make curry

Snacks: NOT any of the snack foods Boss stocked the office up on last night. Maybe a granola bar in the morning if I'm still feeling hungry after the bagel since I didn't have dinner tonight (I had a late lunch and wasn't hungry and didn't have anything to cook)

• Like 1