• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Finishes Pulling Herself Together

19 minutes ago, delalana said:

The curry sounds good. I kind of want to try making some, but I’m worried about it turning out poorly when I’m still trying to limit my trips to the store.

It's actually hard to mess up completely.  Like stew, there is great and there is meh but it is hardly ever terrible. 

16 hours ago, Maigs said:

Lost my mojo this week.

Good luck finding it again.  If necessary, I am prepared to pull out Austin Powers memes to help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, delalana said:

The curry sounds good. I kind of want to try making some, but I’m worried about it turning out poorly when I’m still trying to limit my trips to the store.

8 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

It's actually hard to mess up completely.  Like stew, there is great and there is meh but it is hardly ever terrible.

What Kestral said. My curry is a highly bastardized recipe from a cookbook I had years ago that's nothing like what I get at a restaurant, but it has curry powder so we call it curry :)

Spoiler

Bombay Curry

½ cup butter 
1 large onion chopped 
1-2 diced chicken breasts (or vegetarian equivalent)
1 glove garlic, minced 
¼ cup flour 
2 tbsp curry powder 
1 tsp salt 
¼ tsp pepper 
¼ tsp ginger 
¼ tsp cayenne pepper 
3 cups water 
1 package frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots 

In medium saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter. Add chicken, flour, curry powder, salt, pepper, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until smooth. Add water and vegetables and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce is bubbly and slightly thickened and chicken is fully cooked. Serve over rice, I use a rice maker and it's weird little not-quite-a-cup thing but it's probably 1.5ish cups of uncooked rice

Good luck finding it again.  If necessary, I am prepared to pull out Austin Powers memes to help.

Mojo not found yet, though I did make it to kickboxing tonight!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Maigs said:

And because I don't share enough pictures of these goofballs

You don't! Your Floof really is floofy 😉

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 8:37 PM, Maigs said:

What Kestral said. My curry is a highly bastardized recipe from a cookbook I had years ago that's nothing like what I get at a restaurant, but it has curry powder so we call it curry :)

Alright, I’ll take the plunge (although I’m going off a recipe that uses up curry paste I already have and doesn’t require me to use Olympics level mental gymnastics to figure out where the local stores think curry powder should go). I’ll let you know how it goes in a few days...

• Like 3

On 6/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, Xena said:

You don't! Your Floof really is floofy 😉

We brushed him this weekend got so much fur off of him and yet somehow he looks floofier now (and much softer). 

• Like 1

Mojo is still elusive, but I went to kickboxing Friday and Sunday and went for a run yesterday. It's hot and humid enough (and will be for quite a while) that I decided to focus on faster runs instead of longer ones. So I did Week 1 Day 1 of C25k (run 1 minute, walk 1.5 minutes 8 times) aiming for a 10min/mile pace. I certainly don't have the pacing down for that since I was hitting 8.5min/mile pace for the the first couple of runs and had to back down to an 11min/mile pace for the last couple runs. Food is still a problem, though I'm proud to say that I bought ice cream Sunday and haven't touched it yet :D 

• Like 2

Hey Maigs! Hope you're doing OK? 

Well done on the run and avoiding the ice cream. I made the mistake of buying a tub of ice cream as a treat the other day and we devoured it in two sittings! 

Also, your cat and my cat could be twins 😊

• Like 1

Getting your training in when you don't have mojo is more impressive. Good work!

I think figuring out pacing is hard for relatively new runners, because we are still improving. We have to guess instead of knowing how much we can handle today vs last month.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigs said:

It's hot and humid enough (and will be for quite a while) that I decided to focus on faster runs instead of longer ones.

I think that's a good strategy in the heat. I've been doing the same.

I think figuring out pacing is hard for relatively new runners, because we are still improving. We have to guess instead of knowing how much we can handle today vs last month.

True. And I think challenging weather conditions make it even harder. Right now I can't do what I was doing back in February even though I've been training consistently.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Hey Maigs! Hope you're doing OK? 

CQ!! I'm doing pretty well, just busy and dealing with the weirdness that is the world these days. Luckily my area has been relatively un-touched by COVID and people here are being mostly reasonable. I'll have to track down your challenge

Well done on the run and avoiding the ice cream. I made the mistake of buying a tub of ice cream as a treat the other day and we devoured it in two sittings! 

I did get into the ice cream last night. I usually only buy pints and only eat half of one at a time so it could be worse :) I got in a bad habit of buying them semi-often during the busiest part of tax season 

Also, your cat and my cat could be twins 😊

Haha, he also has a twin in our neighborhood that I think belongs to the lady at the other end of our building. He's not amused when his doppleganger comes to visit and looks scandalized when I go out and pet it :D 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:15 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

Getting your training in when you don't have mojo is more impressive. Good work!

Thanks! I also just haven't figured out what a 10min/mi pace feels like. I can hold a pretty steady 12min/mi pace, but I was all over the place Monday

18 hours ago, Xena said:

I think that's a good strategy in the heat. I've been doing the same.

I just couldn't stand the idea of trying to run more than a couple minutes at a time in that oppressively muggy weather. Short bursts with longer walking breaks sounded way less miserable

• Like 3

On 6/30/2020 at 9:54 AM, Maigs said:

Food is still a problem, though I'm proud to say that I bought ice cream Sunday and haven't touched it yet :D 

Hey, even small victories are victories!

Your kitties and your floofer doodle are so cute!!!!

Hope you get your mojo back soon

• Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 11:28 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Scroof is the best.

He's a pretty good little thing. I may ask you for some advice on fostering though. We've never had a small dog or taken in an adult before. He's been really good overall but there have been quite a few little piddle spots around the house, which could just be a combination of life upheaval and the neighborhood trying to blow itself up for 'Merica, but if not I'm open to advice on how to handle that. It also took him almost three days to eat anything (even turned his nose up at treats) but he finally started eating some this morning so hopefully that's resolved.

On 7/4/2020 at 2:36 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

He's an adorable puppers, is he just waiting for adoption or is there a reason he is being fostered?

He belonged to a relative of a friend who had to move and wasn't able keep him in the new place so we're fostering him. We're open to keeping him if he the right fit for our household, otherwise we'll find him a good home, which will be easy since he's small, cute, good with cats and other dogs, and generally well behaved. I think it will be up too whether we can resolve the piddling and how he handles us being at work all day since I don't think he was home alone much before. I should probably leave my neighbors (that we share a wall with) a note and a peace offering since he might do a fair amount of whining

• Like 2

So....pulling myself back together....yeah, about that. Things haven't been horrible, but not where I would like it to be. I finally wrote out a general meal and exercise plan for the week that has room for adjustments but shouldn't need any. I have my dinners figured out for the week taking into account the days I'll be going to kickboxing (and thus home later) and have my schedule of when I'm going to kickboxing vs running. The actual runs I'll figure out as they come up to account for the weather, time, and my energy levels. As long as I get out and run something it's a win.

Today has been good. I got in two very short walks (Scroof has little legs :P ) and made it to kickboxing. I made my meal plan for the week and did the shopping and was actually able to get everything on my list except one thing I know I already have some of so it'll be fine.

• Like 4

On 7/5/2020 at 8:38 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

I aspire to your organization skills. :)

Lol, best laid plans and all. 

I already decided to swap two dinners....then had to swap them back because I was missing an ingredient for the one I wanted to do last night. Then... I forgot my freaking gym bag today :( It's fully packed and sitting on the dining room table, but somehow didn't make it out the door with me

12 hours ago, Xena said:

Any day you get to kickboxing tends to be a good day 🙂

It does tend to help things :) Unfortunately *see above* 

• Sad 2

Monday

Was a pretty good day. Stuck to my food plan other that switching my plan for dinner, then switching it back because I forgot to make sure I had cream cheese 🙄. So instead we had fajitas. We ran some errands after dinner and didn't get home until about 9pm, but I quickly changed and got out for my planned run. I just did a mile  but I ran the whole thing! That's the first time I've made it a full mile in way too long. It was still warm and sticky so I was literally dripping when I got home

• Like 5

On 7/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, Maigs said:

I just did a mile  but I ran the whole thing! That's the first time I've made it a full mile in way too long.

Happy Jennifer Aniston GIF

That's fantastic! Well done!