• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kyellan

Kyellan Seizes the Reins of Power

The last two months have been insane, and yet I have slowly begun to take control of myself back from the brink of madness.

There's not really going to be much "challenge" here, I don't think, so much as "keep doing what you're doing" kind of stuff. I'm back here because I miss you all; you're super cool, and there's no better place on the web for support.

So, here's a little update on where I'm at:

1) Life: I'm now a 1/3rd partner in a small games company called Tumbledie Games, LLC. We're developing the RPG I mentioned a couple months ago, actively playtesting (some of it live on Twitch) and working on refining our rulebook into something amazing. I'm hosting, recording, editing and producing a weekly RPG discussions podcast called Threat Dice, which is some of the most fun I've ever had on the Internet. I'm even doing interviews now, with my partners and other random people on the internet... it's been so much fun.

Kiddo is 19 months old and doing pretty well despite the isolation. It's good, I think, that's she's young enough not to know any better. We don't have anyone nearby who's able to quarantine like we are, so it's basically just the three of us and the dog, but it's okay. She's probably going to be one of those kids that does better with adults than kids her own age, but that may have been the case anyway. She's a bright and happy toddler and honestly, working from home (indefinitely right now for my company) has kept me closer to her than I ever thought possible, so I'm really glad to be here for all of these amazing things happening in her brain.

2) Food: Half of my meals are now vegetarian, which I'm pretty happy about. The pandemic has driven wife & I to de-emphasize meat, since it's harder to keep, and try to get at least a portion of protein at all our meals from legumes and other sources. I don't think I see a need to go 100% veggie, but the changes I've made are doing better things for my brain and body.

I started an experimental backyard garden. I have cucumbers, heirloom amethyst beans, and sweet corn sprouts actively growing right now, and I'm planning to add some spinach and kale in the shadier spots of the garden soon (they grow quick, so you can plant them late). It's by no means a smorgasbord, but I'm proving to myself that I did not inherit my mother's black thumb and may have a chance of growing more things in future years. 

I have ceased purchasing things that make me weak. I'm using a cup of hot chocolate at night (relatively low cal) to kill the sugar cravings, and overall it's working fairly well. If I want something more, I have to make it, and I'm so busy that I'm not super inclined to do that.

By the way--brownies made with almond flour are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Still loaded with sugar, but at least they contain a little protein?

All of this has contributed to my feeling better about life in general, and causing my weight to inch back down again. There's more I could do, and I'm taking it as a slow shift, focusing on eliminating one piece at a time. This has been difficult, but is working, so yay.

3) Exercise: I bought myself a standing desk riser for working at home, so I now stand 3-4 hours out of the day instead of sitting the whole time. I'm achieving a walking goal of 10 miles per week (about 2.5 miles on 4 days), just down the street in my neighborhood. I'm going to get a couple of the things I need to get my mountain bike tuned up so I can take that out again during the summertime and maybe see a few more roads than just the same 1.25 mile stretch over and over again.

All in all, things are OK. Need to just keep soldiering on. The "challenge" is:

1) Walk 10 miles per week (I'll re-calibrate once I get the bike tuned up)

2) Two meals a day: 1 vegetarian
3) Don't go insane

You all are great. I'm here to cheer!

tenor.gif?itemid=5063638

• Like 6

Well, I hit my ten mile mark early this week. Of course, that's because freakin' MapMyFitness screwed up... went for a hike with the dog yesterday, and instead of starting the mileage from zero, it picked up the ending mileage from my Tuesday walk and STARTED me at 2.6 miles. Dumb thing.

So I'm actually at about 7.5, which means one more walk for the week will hit the goal. I'm still going to strive for 2 though, because the dog hikes aren't nearly as intensive as my normal walks. He likes to stop and smell the LITERALLY EVERYTHING, while I prefer to, y'know, get the ol' blood pumping.

In other news, I think NerdFitness may have been built on an ancient Indian burial ground or something. Been fine for weeks, and then yesterday when I went out to water the garden, I leaned over slightly too far and the left side of my back seized. So now I'm wrapped up in a back brace again. YAAAAY

• Wow 2

The back is recovering more quickly than expected. I'm thinking it's because of the increased exercise over the past few weeks. I'm still in pain, but I'm off the painkillers about three days earlier than last time, so I have to take that as a win.

Made my 10 mile walking goal without a problem. The long walk actually helped the back feel better.

I am doing all kinds of experimentation with beans. I've done balsamic Roman beans, curried chick peas, barbecue Great Northern beans, and now some basic garlic red beans. Serving them on rice or quinoa with a vegetable mix is reliable, filling, tasty, and easy. It's pretty great.

Today was a little rough thanks to the dog deciding to bellow out the window at 3AM. I never really got back to sleep, so I've been just kind of out of it all day. I'm sure tomorrow will be better.

• Like 3

It's been my finding that walks are good just in general. Even after the conditioning effect goes away, it's still good mobility/therapy for the body in the sense that it's good gentle movement. It seems to foster a lot of regenerative qualities and it's apparently prescribed exercise not just when sick but to stimulate the immune system to prevent sickness in the first place.

So, yeah, man, that's a distance to walk and it's a good one. I'm sorry to hear that your back is acting up, but I'm also glad to hear that the walking seems to mitigate whatever's happening.

Also, here to support the vegetarianism! My body likes to store all the cholesterol and it does bad things to my blood numbers, and going mostly veg seems to have made a big and good difference in terms of how I'm doing right now. I'm also pleased to report that a lot of the propaganda about how much protein we need and ill effects to hormones and such appears to be largely unfounded. (unless, you know, it is in fact founded. you'd have to find out for yourself).

Also also, if you're gonna go do bean recipes, you owe it to yourself to do a sofrito at some point. This is the way. -_-

Anyway, hey man. It's good to see you again. :)

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 11:41 AM, Kyellan said:

In other news, I think NerdFitness may have been built on an ancient Indian burial ground or something. Been fine for weeks, and then yesterday when I went out to water the garden, I leaned over slightly too far and the left side of my back seized. So now I'm wrapped up in a back brace again. YAAAAY

Dear Twin.

Thank you for explaining why my back has been acting up.

Sincerely,

RP

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Dear Twin.

Sincerely,

RP

Are you sure it's not your fault his back is acting up? 

Re Walks - I have been doing a lot more of those lately, too.  It's definitely a good way to get some blood moving, and for me at least, helps me quiet the chattering brain after work. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 3:11 AM, Kishi said:

It's been my finding that walks are good just in general. Even after the conditioning effect goes away, it's still good mobility/therapy for the body in the sense that it's good gentle movement. It seems to foster a lot of regenerative qualities and it's apparently prescribed exercise not just when sick but to stimulate the immune system to prevent sickness in the first place.

So, yeah, man, that's a distance to walk and it's a good one. I'm sorry to hear that your back is acting up, but I'm also glad to hear that the walking seems to mitigate whatever's happening.

Also, here to support the vegetarianism! My body likes to store all the cholesterol and it does bad things to my blood numbers, and going mostly veg seems to have made a big and good difference in terms of how I'm doing right now. I'm also pleased to report that a lot of the propaganda about how much protein we need and ill effects to hormones and such appears to be largely unfounded. (unless, you know, it is in fact founded. you'd have to find out for yourself).

Also also, if you're gonna go do bean recipes, you owe it to yourself to do a sofrito at some point. This is the way. -_-

Anyway, hey man. It's good to see you again. :)

Glad to be here! Y'all are so great 😃

Yeah, I got a good scare last year when I thought I was feeling pretty decent about life, and I did my yearly bloodwork checkup and they were like 'um... yikes, dude'. My wife has found that she does much better on a protein-heavy diet, so we had switched to basically meat & vegetables last year, and that may not have been the best decision, cholesterol-wise.

Over time I found that wasn't working so great for me on a number of levels, and with the wanting to save money we had already shifted somewhat to cutting the meat with other protein sources. Once I experimented and discovered that I generally feel better with some amount of grains (rice, quinoa) in my system, it's been an easy compromise for me to basically put the 'main' food on top of a bed of grains, and we both get what we need.

So from that it was even easier to just stop buying meat for my lunches, and now it's about 1/3 each of grains, vegetables and legume protein, which seems to be just about perfect for where my body is happy. I make a low-carb dinner for the family & add my own base, and everybody's happy!

(By the by, I have a strange child. She's 1 1/2 years old, eats hot sausage and curry without complaint, and won't touch scrambled eggs unless I dress them up with some chipotle sauce. She has apparently inherited her palate from her mother and maternal grandfather!)

I will definitely look into the sofrito. Thank you. 😃

17 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Dear Twin.

Sincerely,

RP

I had wondered if that karmic link was still intact. Apparently it continues! :D 

7 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Are you sure it's not your fault his back is acting up? 

Re Walks - I have been doing a lot more of those lately, too.  It's definitely a good way to get some blood moving, and for me at least, helps me quiet the chattering brain after work. 

Pretty sure it's my fault. :D But it may just also be the way of the universe.

Walking's just so easy, right? Put on your shoes (and for me, my giant gardening hat and sunglasses, because I kind of love being the bearded weirdo in the enormous hat walking down my street) and head out the door!

The walking has been very good. I nailed my zero-week walking goal and am well on track for this week too. It's only Wednesday and I've already logged 6.8 miles for the week. It's getting easier: when I started I was just over 3mph average, and I've pushed that a lot closer to 3.5mph. I'm starting to do bursts of 4mph as a sort-of 'light interval' and that's a good stretch.

My bike tools should be arriving this week, so hopefully I can also change things up a bit that way. I originally bought the bike a few years ago when I was more regularly spending time with a friend who very much enjoyed the biking, so I was getting frequent adjustments and so on. With the pandemic on I haven't seen that friend in some time, and the bike has gone unused. I aim to change that. I should probably look to find a second set of wheels with some more road-friendly tires, but it's probably not a huge deal unless I really get into riding.

For a long time now I had been using MapMyFitness on my phone to log any kind of outdoor activity. We have a program for my work that gives us health insurance discounts if we do a certain number of healthy things throughout the year, and fitness activities are one that is much easier if you can track it automatically. MapMyFitness fucked up on me for the last time last week when I took the dog for a hike, so I used some points from said workplace health program, got myself some Amazon gift cards, and secured a Garmin vivoactive3 smartwatch (and a couple new shirts). I've been wanting a watch again, and the vivoactive3 was only like $130 (since it's being replaced by the 4) so I paid nothing for it and now have a new fitness tracker.

So far it's surprisingly decent, and I like using it. The Garmin Connect app, as far as those things go, is superior to MapMyFitness in many ways, and it linked easily back to the workplace health program, so win/win. It's easy to start and stop my walking activities from my wrist, instead of having to wait 3-4 mins for MapMyFitness to load its six hundred million ads.

The garden continues to grow. My bean plants have buds on them! So exciting. Hoping the marigolds will bloom shortly too, and attract some bees and other pollinators. The corn stalks are still little, but growing strong. So far, so good. Assuming I get any kind of harvest this year, next year will feature some additional vegetables and some herbs too. I do not hate gardening. What a strange feeling. 😃 

• Like 2

Oh, so, on a side note... a few weeks ago, a friend (after many conversations on the subject) asked me what I might have done differently with the Star Wars sequel trilogy. Apparently I had complained loud enough that he was finally like "okay, dude, let's see what you've got".

So I wrote a rant. And then I revised the rant. And then I was like "oh, hey, this actually is pretty decent". So I'm polishing it up to actually put it on the internet as a full analysis of "Part 1: Why do I actually like Star Wars? Part 2: Why does the sequel trilogy not work for me? Part 3: What would I have done differently?" 

Unfortunately, this means I actually have to sit down and WATCH The Rise of Skywalker, which I have so far avoided doing. Sigh.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 9:05 AM, Kyellan said:

Unfortunately, this means I actually have to sit down and WATCH The Rise of Skywalker, which I have so far avoided doing. Sigh.

I'll be praying for you. TBH, that's the straw that broke my back; as far as I'm concerned, I'm out of the fandom.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:23 PM, Kishi said:

I'll be praying for you. TBH, that's the straw that broke my back; as far as I'm concerned, I'm out of the fandom.

We made it 40 minutes. I shut it off in disgust after ranting incoherently at the screen for approximately the 40th time. That movie is a complete fucking mess. Incoherent from the title crawl. UGH.

Thankfully, there's still Clone Wars. And The Mandalorian. And there will always be the Luke & Vader half of Return of the Jedi, which is my favorite half of any Star Wars film.

If Disney has any sense, they'll let Jon Favreau finish training Dave Filoni on live-action filmmaking, make a huge "HAHA GOT YOU, THOSE MOVIES WERE A JOKE EVERYONE LAUGH AT THE FUNNY JOKE" and then pay Filoni millions upon millions of precious dollars to make it all right.

===================

Week 1 went pretty good. Logged 11.7 walking miles plus an additional 1.4 hiking miles with doggo. Vegetarian meals are still excellent fuel for this new higher-exercise lifestyle that I am working on. Definitely struggling with some tightness in my lower back and thighs, I think probably from the rapid transitions between sitting for work and then doing vigorous walking, and back. Doing my best to add some of my Kung Fu stretches back into my life to combat this. I am also not yet insane, which is 3/3 on Week 1.

Working on this RPG and playtesting it is causing me to have a massive reawakening when it comes to both dice-based gaming and storytelling. I am struggling with the idea that I really need to un-learn ~30 years of how to run and play RPGs in order to truly hit my own personal sweet spots with the hobby. If you're curious about this total overhaul of my ideas about D&D and more, you should probably check out my RPG podcast. It's called Threat Dice, and it's on basically every platform (Apple, Google, Stitcher, etc). I'm basically slowly going through this in real time, plus there's some fun discussions with my partners about various things.

I just got back a few minutes ago from my first trip out on the bike in 2 years. Got myself a bike pump and a multitool to keep it in good shape.

If only it could be this cool.

818d2811430497.560f79c8260ad.jpg

I am... not in the same place as I was the last time I was on the bike. I went 5.83 miles in ~30 minutes, but it nearly killed me, haha. Still, there is something glorious about being out on the bike. I spent a lot of time on one as a kid, and there's just something so wholesome-feeling about riding.

For the purposes of the challenge, I'm counting 3 miles on the bike as 1 mile walking (I think that's about fair), so I've put down 1.94 miles for the week now.

This time I will be careful not to tear anything in my knees by trying to keep up with people I don't know on trails, and just ride for fun and exercise. :D 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyellan said:

We made it 40 minutes. I shut it off in disgust after ranting incoherently at the screen for approximately the 40th time. That movie is a complete fucking mess. Incoherent from the title crawl. UGH.

Thankfully, there's still Clone Wars. And The Mandalorian. And there will always be the Luke & Vader half of Return of the Jedi, which is my favorite half of any Star Wars film.

If Disney has any sense, they'll let Jon Favreau finish training Dave Filoni on live-action filmmaking, make a huge "HAHA GOT YOU, THOSE MOVIES WERE A JOKE EVERYONE LAUGH AT THE FUNNY JOKE" and then pay Filoni millions upon millions of precious dollars to make it all right.

I think you've underestimated my apathy. I genuinely don't care one way or the other anymore about that whole thing. Like, it got to a point afterward where I found myself ranting to people and being emotionally worked up about it and I was like, "Kishi, why are you upset about a movie about space wizards for children?" and it was like a fuse blew and I've not felt a need to get back to it. You know?

2 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I am... not in the same place as I was the last time I was on the bike. I went 5.83 miles in ~30 minutes, but it nearly killed me, haha. Still, there is something glorious about being out on the bike. I spent a lot of time on one as a kid, and there's just something so wholesome-feeling about riding.

No worries, boss. Conditioning is really specific and tends to come on and fall off fast. You'll get it back sooner than it feels like.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2020 at 6:52 PM, Kishi said:

I think you've underestimated my apathy. I genuinely don't care one way or the other anymore about that whole thing. Like, it got to a point afterward where I found myself ranting to people and being emotionally worked up about it and I was like, "Kishi, why are you upset about a movie about space wizards for children?" and it was like a fuse blew and I've not felt a need to get back to it. You know?

Nah it's cool. That rant was mostly for my own sake anyway 😃 There's something about the fundamental mythology of Star Wars that really speaks to me on some level. Honestly, it's probably all the Bushido-inspired stuff that Lucas cribbed from Kurosawa films. That's why I don't just give up on it, I guess. There's a spark in there about the lines between darkness and light, where you walk, what it takes and what the balance of the universe is all about that's just... I dunno, ephemerally fascinating to me. Despite the fact that the actual media is hit or miss, there's enough there that the concepts continue to inspire me, despite the committee-based network pandering at the very top.

Same is true for Star Trek (and... guh... the same result and the same Hollywood malfeasance). Like, even though the last 20 years of Star Trek have been a collective clusterfuck with very few exceptions, I will forever be that little kid staring wide-eyed at the screen and dreaming about following Captain Picard to hell and back. (And, honestly? The new Captain Pike. Anson Mount is somehow portraying a captain halfway between Kirk and Picard, with both intellect and heart, and frankly I'm a bit smitten. :D )

=============

Had the day off from work today, so I did a grocery campaign and conducted another podcast interview. Only did a short walk today, but logged 1.5 miles anyway. Now it's off to more RPG playtesting--near-future urban fantasy superheroes facing off against a worldwide terrorist organization run by mind flayers, here I come! :D 

• Like 1

5.57 miles on the bike today. That's another 1.85 walking miles if I'm dividing by 3. I really love the bike, y'all.

So, based on that calculation, I have so far this week:

Sunday - 1.94 miles

Monday - 1.50 miles

Tuesday - 2.58 miles

Wednesday - 1.85 miles

For a total of 7.87 miles; not bad for halfway through the week on the goal of 10 miles.

Still not insane. About 45% of my meals are vegetarian this week--I did have one dinner leftovers lunch that included some delicious beef & gravy, but other than that, we're on point. Much less meat, much more vegetables & grain. Ha, I did have a leftover meat lunch, but my last two dinners were vegetarian (fried lentils as the main course!) so I'm definitely still at or over 50% vegetarian. YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH

• Like 2

Added another 6.33 bike miles today (so 2.11 more "walking" miles by my calculations), which puts me at... 9.98 miles out of 10. HAH. If only I had gone up one more street before cutting over back to the main road, hahaha.

Well, there's one more day. I could just go to the end of my road and back and make the goal. On the whole, I think I'm doing pretty well. :D 

Also, as of this morning I'm down 2 lbs. Finally moving in the right direction again!

• Like 1

WOOF

tenor.gif

I decided to go a bit farther afield on the bike today. Took a road I only sort of know--which turned out to be a brutal uphill battle. Just enough of a grade to kick my lily ass. So, I took the first right-hand turn that I could find that looked like a real road. Well, the paved road turned out to be a gentle decline slope. Then it turned into a decent dirt road. Then... well... it turned into a trail.

I stopped and pulled out my phone to check the map. "Does this go through?" I wondered.

According to the map, the answer: yes.

So I shrugged. Gotta keep goin'.

It was a VERY rough trail. Would not have been traversible by normal car. In fact, with my mountain bike tires inflated to road-pressure levels, it made me nervous going over some of the larger rocks. So, I walked that part, or the worst of it, at least.

On the other side, it opened back up into nice broad dirt road. And it did, indeed, connect to where I expected to end up. Nice.

8.43 MILES to start the new week. (That's 2.81 walking miles by my calculation.)

Not bad, not bad at all.

===========================

After some thought yesterday, I decided that 9.98 miles for last week was basically a gimme. If I'd rounded the calculation differently it would have been slightly over 10 miles, so I just decided to rest and call it a win. Especially because the 1/3 mileage calculation is really just arbitrary--I actually think the biking is a much heavier workout, especially from an aerobic perspective, so the bike miles may be worth more than that. Hard to say. I'll leave the calculation the same, since it's better to strive than to do too little.

I like bike. That is all.

• Like 1

I let Monday go by with a rest, because Sunday's bike ride kicked mah butt. I did get out for 2.56 miles yesterday, so that puts the tally at 5.37 for the week. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out today; I'd like to, but I have both a late work meeting and a dinner to cook today, so it might not happen. I'll definitely hit the 10 miles regardless.

Things are well. Still truckin' on.

• Like 2

Bikes kind of be like that. I seem to recall when I was young finding my way to biking all over the place, even into woods back behind the neighborhood and going up into the woods across the way. Crazy stuff. But the miles, they do seem to fly.

• Like 1

Inspired by Steve's latest post/email about the NF virtual 5k, I walked 5k today. Just to see if I could. (It was too hot to get on the bike.)

In fact, I walked 3.32 miles at an average pace of about 3.6 mph, putting me at a total of 8.69 for the week. Total time was under an hour (55:21) for a bit over 5 kilometers, which isn't bad for walking it.

It's been a pretty good week so far, goals-wise. 👍

• Like 2

Well, with the nor-easter/tropical storm bearing down on us, I decided I'd better hit the goal for the week today.

Put 7.3 more miles on the bike today, for a total calculated "walking" mileage of 2.4333 miles, giving me a weekly total of 11.3 miles. That's a solid goal meet, right there. 

Other goals: 50+% vegetarian meals is on track. Honestly, I've not felt better about food in a long time. I really feel like my diet is in good shape: high fiber, high vegetable intake, reasonably moderate grains and medium-high protein. Our house is basically gluten free at this point because one of our household members appears to have some kind of wheat allergy (not celiac, but enough for us to make the relatively easy choice to use non-wheat products instead), so I cook and bake with non-wheat flours like almond, cassava, sweet rice, and so forth. It all tastes great and is no problem. Noodles are made from red or green lentils, because frankly they're delicious and I actually like them better than regular noodles at this point.

Honestly? Diet and exercise are pretty good. Definitely the best they've been in my daughter's short life. (She's coming up on 2, if you can believe THAT shit.) I'm still arguing with myself about total calorie intake (I think it's still a little high, some parts of me disagree), but I think I'm winning the fight.

• Like 1

Man, count your blessings re: the gluten-freedom. I'm the only person I know who's got problems with gluten, and because they haven't killed me yet, I can't get nobody to pay me any attention. (although to be clear, it doesn't help any that I eat everything they put in front of me and refuse to raise a lot of havoc about it).

As someone who's mostly plant-based, have you found a need to combine foods to get complete proteins, or has that not been an issue? I'm really tempted toward a lot of these bean pastas as a base to go with starches, but if I have to pair with rice for a complete protein, I'm worried it'd get to be a lot of calories.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kishi said:

Man, count your blessings re: the gluten-freedom. I'm the only person I know who's got problems with gluten, and because they haven't killed me yet, I can't get nobody to pay me any attention. (although to be clear, it doesn't help any that I eat everything they put in front of me and refuse to raise a lot of havoc about it).

As someone who's mostly plant-based, have you found a need to combine foods to get complete proteins, or has that not been an issue? I'm really tempted toward a lot of these bean pastas as a base to go with starches, but if I have to pair with rice for a complete protein, I'm worried it'd get to be a lot of calories.

Yeah, esp. with the lockdown we're not socializing basically at all, so complete control over food is easy. We've been trying things for a long time and that seems to consistently be the source of the problem, so I've basically just stopped buying wheat products.

So far the complete protein thing hasn't been an issue. We're mostly using the bean pastas as a base for dinners, which are not usually vegetarian. They're usually combined with sausages, tuna, chicken, or some other animal protein, leaving that not a problem. For my lunches I'm basically combining legumes with either rice or quinoa (I'd like to use amaranth but DAMN it's expensive) plus vegetables, so that closes the circle there.

On the whole, not something I've come up against so far. I definitely feel that pairing a bean pasta with rice for completeness would be high on the caloric count... I'd be more likely to go for a quinoa pasta from Ancient Grains if I wanted it as a base for an otherwise vegetarian dish.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 1:12 PM, Kyellan said:

(I'd like to use amaranth but DAMN it's expensive)

Grows like a weed, though, I hear. And has a super dramatic flower head. Probably too late in this season.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 1:08 AM, sarakingdom said:

Grows like a weed, though, I hear. And has a super dramatic flower head. Probably too late in this season.

Ooh, this is interesting. I wonder if it would grow up here in New England. Might have to try planting that next season!

================

Racked up 7.99 bike miles today (ugh just short of a full 8 miles, haha). That's another 2.66 walking miles, bringing me to 5.26 miles for the week! The biking is getting a lot easier; managing minor uphills and general pacing is much more manageable. As usual, Kishi has the right of it. 😃 The conditioning is returning quickly.

I would very much like to get my hands on a set of more crossover tires made for asphalt and gravel... right now what I have are very much 'mountain trail' tires on this bike, and they're just not great for road riding. Might have to call down to the bike shop and find out what it would cost (and what it would take to change them) since I'm spending a lot more time on the roads and much less on the trails right now. I could probably rack up more mileage in less time with tires designed for the terrain.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kyellan said:

Ooh, this is interesting. I wonder if it would grow up here in New England. Might have to try planting that next season!

I think it will. It's basically on a corn schedule, but less fussy about weather. I'm sure some variety will work.

• Like 1