• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Open Fracture

Open Fracture - So it begins

First time on this forum.  First time doing a challenge.  I have gained a huge amount of weight and after an injury last year where I almost lost my hand, I am finally at rock bottom and ready to get fit again.  In 2014 I ran a Marathon.  Now I get winded walking a city block.  My Main Quest is to lose 100 lbs and run a sub 30 warrior dash.  for my first challenge, I am using some of the basic ones to get in the groove.  

Diet (pick two)

• Eat a vegetable with one meal every day - I hate vegetables
  • Reduce fast food consumption by 50% - currently eat fast food 4 times a week. 

Fitness (pick one)

• Complete the NF bodyweight workout at least 1x a week

Level Up Your Life (Pick One)

• Go to bed 20 minutes earlier each week - currently midnight.  Goal is to get that to 10pm.  
  • Like 5

Losing 100lb is a huge goal, but you've picked some achievable habits to work on. That's smart. Good luck!

100lbs is about 30% of my bodyweight. (335lbs)  I was 225 at the start of college (20 years ago) and that was with significant muscle mass as I was a college middle linebacker.  (American Football).  3 times in my adult life I have lost 70 lbs.  Just haven't been able to make it stick.  Looking forward to taking it one step at a time and getting it done once again.  This time for good.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, First Mate Davy said:

I just looked up warrior dash. That is such a cool goal. 

Unfortunately, I just learned that Warrior Dash has gone out of business.  Now I need to find another goal, it will be along the same guidelines.  

Welcome to the Rebellion!

I love your goals for this challenge! Small steps are such an important piece of being successful and you've done a great job of being reasonable.

8 minutes ago, Open Fracture said:

Unfortunately, I just learned that Warrior Dash has gone out of business.  Now I need to find another goal, it will be along the same guidelines.  

There are some other really great started runs like this depending on where you live. Everything is kind of up in the air for 2020, but Terrain Race is a great starter race (they were recently bought out and seem to be now filling that Warrior Dash niche). Rugged Maniac is a little bit more difficult, but is still very beginner friendly. Also, the Spartan Stadium series is a great beginner race (albeit without the mud). 

There are a few of us who do OCR's regularly. @EricMN @Jarric and @jonfirestar are all great resources!

• Like 1

Looks like you've got some really solid goals there. I used to hate vegetables too, until I got better at cooking them (usually putting them in things, rather than just boiling them and sticking them next to a meal like my parents used to do!).

For OCR (obstacle course racing), as @Sylvaa says there's loads of great options out there. My recommendation would be to have a browse around, and book something far enough in the future that you have a good long-term training goal. Obviously a lot of things aren't running right now due to CV19, but if you're looking at a longer term goal that shouldn't be a major problem.

If you have any questions on OCR don't hesitate to ask (best to @ me or quote me so it comes up in my notifications)

I have decided to do a multi day fast to start this challenge.  I have done fasting before and it usually helps me prepare for changes in life whether physically or mentally.  Clearing my body of toxins and triggering some ketosis is always to good way to get my brain running full speed and get my appetite under control.  

26 minutes ago, First Mate Davy said:

How's your fast going? 

The fast ended early this morning when I woke up with a horrible headache.  Ate some breakfast and it went away.  Plan to eat lunch today and then fast from lunch today until dinner on Wednesday.  So fast was 36 hours of nothing but water.  (Nothing.  No flavors, no lemons in the water, just water.)  Now that I have eaten breakfast I feel really good.  

So far the challenge has been a success.  I have eaten a ton of veggies when I am eating.  Haven't had any fast food and have been going to bed on schedule.  Just need to get that workout in this week and I will be on track.  Hopefully do that tonight.  

Nice work! How have you been eating your vegetables - raw or prepared in any particular way? I need to increase my intake too but I'm not a big fan of raw vegetables other than a couple types. 

19 minutes ago, Honeybee said:

Nice work! How have you been eating your vegetables - raw or prepared in any particular way? I need to increase my intake too but I'm not a big fan of raw vegetables other than a couple types. 

Raw dipped in Hummus.  I prefer raw to cooked.  

Did my first NF Body-weight workout yesterday.   Holy cow I am out of shape.  Didn't realize just how bad it was until I tried to do that workout.   I had a very serious arm injury last year (inspiration for my name on here) that prevented me from doing much of anything for a long time and I have been scared to try any workout for fear of pain in my wrist.  But my body has deteriorated to nothing but fat.   I made it through one circuit and had to call it quits.  Legs were burning and was breathing like I ran a 100 yd sprint.  

Ate well, went to bed on time.  Doing good.  Just scared for how bad my muscles will hurt tomorrow.  Why is it always two days after a hard workout that hurts the worst? 

• Like 1

Hopefully the workout just made you feel sore in a good way. I'm not sure whether some of the exercises are new to you, but there is usually a way to scale an exercise to make it accessible to different levels of fitness and ability. If you need any suggestions, definitely ask!

What's Miracle Morning? It sounds very promising!

12 hours ago, Xena said:

What's Miracle Morning? It sounds very promising!

The Miracle Morning (https://miraclemorning.com/) is a book by Hal Elrod.  Essentially, it is about starting your day right by having a routine of Meditation, Affirmations, Visualization, Exercise, Reading, and Journaling.  It can be done in about 45 minutes, and is designed to get you in the right frame of mind for the day.  I used it for about a month after my arm injury to get myself out of the funk of being bed ridden for a weeks. 

• Like 1

Friday!!!!

Another good day yesterday.  Ate well, went to bed on time, no fast food.  Mowed my yard which at an acre and using a walk behind mower is basically a workout.  At the very least it is an 1:15 walk.  Looking forward to the weekend and getting lots of projects completed around the house.  I built a quarantine deck on my house, a fire pit, and tore down a fence.  Have to finish up a couple of small items with those and the backyard renovation will be complete.  

What projects did other folks get done while "working" from home?

• Like 2

I'm in the middle of a painting project right now (built-in bookshelf). It's also the most effort I've even put into making my yard look nice (though the bar was kind of low on that one). I also had a fancy pull-up bar installed (didn't do the work myself, but so happy I had it done at the beginning of quarantine).

I made a run for my chickens!  It took me all afternoon to put it together and about 3 hours for the chickens to find a way out of it...

Friday was another good day.  Stuck to eating goals.  Had friends over in the evening, had a lot of fun enjoying the new back yard.   Was ready for bed at 11:45pm but insomnia hit and I fell asleep around 3am. I will still count it as a success, just frustrating to lay awake for over three hours.  

• Like 1

Week 1 Down:

Results

Eat more veggies: 6/7 days

No Fast Food: 6/7 days

Workouts: 1

Bed earlier: 5/7 days, but insomnia then kept me up laying in bed 2 out of the 5 days.  

So far I am rally happy with this challenge.  Week two requires more of the same, but moving bedtime up another 20 minutes to 11:20pm.  

• Like 1