• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug is joining the circus, again

8 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

For social justice, I started out strong, and then got emotionally tired. I know that it is a privilege to be able to step away when it gets to me, but I needed to do that a little bit with everything going on. This week I want to get back into reading and doing.

I admire everything about this post. My two cents is, that maybe the kinds of things you are thinking and learning about are like muscles we have to strengthen. A little at a time. And also, like developing an exercise routine, better to do something you will stick with (or that will stick with you) than burning out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I admire everything about this post. My two cents is, that maybe the kinds of things you are thinking and learning about are like muscles we have to strengthen. A little at a time. And also, like developing an exercise routine, better to do something you will stick with (or that will stick with you) than burning out.

This is a great way to look at it!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

For social justice, I started out strong, and then got emotionally tired. I know that it is a privilege to be able to step away when it gets to me, but I needed to do that a little bit with everything going on. This week I want to get back into reading and doing.

I think it's important to remember that we all need time to step away.  We can't change the world overnight.  This is a marathon for sure, and we all get to step back and let others take over for while.  Your willingness to continue is what counts.

• Like 3

Quick update:

We have been running twice already this week with another scheduled for this evening. Sunday was a rings workout plus some gardening which tired me out, but then went on a run because my daughter guilted me into it. It was slow and not as far as usual, but I got out. Monday was supposed to be a GMB Vitamins day, but instead did some handstand practice and some circus circuits... the Vitamins workout was supposed to be cartwheels and I didn't want to try that when my arms and shoulders were so sore from the rings the day before. I also tracked all of my food that day and it gave me some good insight on how I've been eating and where the problems lie.

Tuesday I did the GMB Vitamins workout and then went running that evening, with a promise to run again on Thursday. Food was pretty good that day, I'm trying to bunt my protein up, so was conscious of that. Wednesday was a weird day: I decided against doing my normal morning workout and instead made my self stretch more during the day. Work was a beast, but I was able to take time to make some sourdough bread and practice juggling throughout the day. I tried again to be conscious of my protein intake but also ate like an idiot for a large part of the day.

This morning I am about to do the GMB Vitamins and this evening I have a date to run with my daughter. I'll try and keep up my protein, but will probably eat like an idiot again... ice cream in the house just isn't good for me...

Everything else is doing well, I'm reading a bit and learning a lot. Ready to start looking for the next book to queue up once I've finished the two I'm working on now. Juggling is going well. Juggling clubs has gotten much more natural. I am appreciating my ball juggling more, as this club juggling journey keeps reminding me of what it was like when I started ball juggling thirty years ago. The key for me in both instances was taking a couple of days where I spent a good couple of hours practicing and fighting frustration. Getting through that to the other side means I'm comfortable with juggling clubs now and am ready to start looking at new tricks. But I also know I need to practice every day and keep adjusting, trying to get better.

One other note, the rings work has been giving me majors DOMS. When I'm in the workout, I feel pretty good, but the next two days hurt. I hope that means stuff is happening, because I really want to progress on that.

• Like 4
  • That's Metal 1

5 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

but will probably eat like an idiot again... ice cream in the house just isn't good for me...

Some random ideas to try: Whenever you open the freezer and reach for it, just give it the finger instead (this is a strategy that has (weirdly enough) worked for me in the past), or bury it waaaaaaay in the back so it's effort to get to.  

Great job on your workout and runs!!!  I love that your daughter keeps you honest with them.

8 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

ate like an idiot

Also, you said this twice in your post, and trust and believe I say the same kind of stuff, but my therapist has pointed out to me many times that even seemingly harmless phrases like these impact our self esteem and how we think about ourselves.  I'm still working on reframing these kinds of statements in my mind to see my own health as a journey of improvement, and I'm definitely not judging you for saying it.  I didn't realize how often I did it until someone pointed it out to me, so I just thought you should know that you're not an idiot ;) 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

I just thought you should know that you're not an idiot ;) 

Thnx for that. I can confuse tearing myself down with "tough love" so it was good to hear that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job, yeah ring workout can really work those muscles.

I'm working at saying things like, " I didn't eat the way I want , or I  wish I had made a different choice, rather than label myself as stupid. 

• Like 1

These are great insights guys, and yeah, I believe strongly in that the words we think or even say out loud, are sooo powerful, especially about ourselves, so phrasing things kindly to ourselves, like we would if helping a friend, is super important.

For the record, for my cookout yesterday, "I ate like Michael Phelps and enjoyed every last decadent calorie that went into my mouth, but today I will choose to eat more like a modern woman athlete who minds her choices."   (I was going to say, I pigged out, but thought this more wise given the discussion.)

• Like 1

Week 2 recap:

Food

Food was just not managed well this week. I did track on Monday and am thinking of tracking again today. It helps me see where I am struggling.

Exercise

Exercise was great. I moved quite a bit every day and went running 3 times. Did pretty much everything I set out to do. Here's to riding the momentum for another week.

Mental

Learned stuff every day. Worked on juggling at least a little every day and more some other days. Reading is going well.

Emotional

50/50 on the emotional side of things. On one hand, I was grateful and connected. On the other, I was working too much and tired from all the exercise. Maybe this week will be about balance?

Overall, there are areas for improvement, but I feel like the challenge is mostly working. The only place it isn't is in eating well. My wife is removing a lot of sugars and starches from her diet. I remember how hard it was for me to do that when she was eating normally... so it might be time to knuckle down and start eating better even if it seems draconian... even if I can't make sourdough bread all the time...

Lots to think about today. Hope your weeks all went well.

• Like 3

Nice week 2! Seems like if your wife is cutting back on sugars , it might be a good time for you too. I always find it easier when both hubby and I are working on it

• Like 1

It has been really hard to get a run in this week. "Forces conspiring against me..." and all that jazz, so I just did a run this morning on my own. Went a little farther than usual and was helped by listening to "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" as a podcast.

On another note, I realized that maybe I need to treat handstands the way I treat juggling... a little every day is good but I need to take a couple of days where I spend a lot of concentrated time on it. When I've done that with juggling, I have made great leaps in ability that I can then keep up with a little practice every day. This was most recently illustrated with my club juggling, I took a day where I spent an hour a couple of times through the day trying. I was really sore but I have been able to move on through the next stages of practice... getting better at adjusting my patterns, recovering from mistakes... the stuff that a little daily practice is good for. I feel like if I just push through and spend a day kicking up for a lot longer than I have been I can finally make some real progress on handstands. I need to make sure I don't put myself in the path of injury, but I think it is doable. Now I just need to implement it.

That's it for now, will try to check in later.

• Like 4

On 7/6/2020 at 9:17 AM, GoodDoug said:

Maybe this week will be about balance?

Aint that the pickle and the truth, lol.

I am trying to do the same.

Your approach is sound.  You had a good week two!  And are adjusting as needed.

I think we're about due for another juggling video though! :D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

a little every day is good but I need to take a couple of days where I spend a lot of concentrated time on it.

I do this with my Spanish lessons.  I try to do 30 minutes a day, sometimes it's just a lesson or 2, but sometimes I get in the mood and I spend an hour  or so going back and reviewing old chapters so I don't lose the vocabulary.  I need to do more of that.

Great job getting a run in even when the universe was conspiring against you!!!

• Like 2

Mini update:

Food has been okay, I tracked again to see where I was and then the next day ate more than I should. When the kids spend a bit of time making sushi, even though you've already eaten a big dinner, you have to eat it all.

As I said before, I went running Tuesday morning... I also did a "run" Tuesday evening with my wife and youngest daughter (10). I put run in quotes because we do 1 minute run and 1 minute of walking. It felt good to go out with them and I think it was just their speed. I am hoping my wife can ease back into running again, but realize I have to do it with her or it won't happen. So if I have to do 2 runs in a day, I'll do it. And it is fun to go running with them.

Wednesday was GMB Vitamins and some rings work, but also some resting. And yesterday I decided to dedicate some real time to handstands. I started by kicking up free for about 20 minutes, getting more stable as I went. Had a few 8-10 second holds which is good for me. Then I spent another 20 minutes kicking up to the wall and holding for 30-35 seconds. Floating away from the wall when I could. My wrists and shoulders didn't end up as sore as I expected them to. I've been so afraid of overdoing it that I never allowed myself this much concentrated handstand effort. Turns out (as usual) I was being paranoid for no reason. Over the course of the day I did a few more kicks, both free and against the wall and was surprised at how stable I was getting, though definitely tired. I think another concentrated day (not today!) might really put me over the hump... I hope.

Went running this morning. Was supposed to go last night, but the combination of too much sushi and no one wanting to go with me just made me promise myself I'd do it in the morning. It was really tough today, I made it a little shorter, but ran the whole time.

As suggested, I have recorded myself juggling clubs:

It's funny to watch yourself as you are smoother than you thought in some areas and rougher in areas you thought were smooth.  But not bad overall. Good simple club cascade with a collection at the end. You'll be happy to know I shaved and showered for this video

• Like 2

Wow love the video, so cool.... a real amazing thing to be able to do ❤️ 

You are doing a lot of good positive things Doug. Proud of you xx

• Like 1

I like that you take your family running. Thats really sweet! Also looking good in the video. I know nothing about juggling but it sure looks legit to me! :) Have a great week!

• Like 1

A little late on my week recap, but here we go:

Food

Was a little better... ended up getting a new tracking app (FoodNoms) and have decided to get back into tracking. I needed a break and was going to wait until next challenge to get back into tracking, but discovered this app and decided it was a sign. Did well on avoiding sugary crap and after a rough start at the beginning of the week did a better job of avoiding grains (except for the sourdough sandwich rolls I've been making)

Exercise

Not bad at all. Doing my circus circuits and GMB Vitamins. Also did two rings workouts and three runs. I've been doing okay with remembering to stretch a couple of times a day. I could be better, but I think I'm doing well. I feel like I'm getting stronger and healthier.

Mental

I am reading more as well as listening to audio books. I did some writing, but only enough to say I did some writing. I could be better about writing more. It is something I'd like to get back into... just need to squeeze it in. I've been juggling clubs every day and have seen a good increase in my comfort with the clubs. I know what I need to work on. I also did a day of intense handstands and that has given me a good bump from the plateau I was on. I need to continue, and find another day this week where I can put in some focused effort.

Emotional

I've done some gratitude work, and I find it is better to try and do it throughout the day rather than try and have a set time in the evening. I have too many things I am trying to cram into my nighttime routine (Duolingo, gratitude, reading, cleaning the kitchen, feeding the sourdough starter...) I did okay with spending time with the kids but recognize I should be doing better. These weekly checkins are great as they remind me of my challenge goals and allow me to re-evaluate my expectations. I feel like I am in an okay place here, but could do better.

Rest

I feel like I've done a good job giving myself permission to step back a little without coming to a full halt. Yay me.

In all, it was a good week. I feel like exercise went really well and I want to keep up that momentum. I'll do a mini update on this week soon.

• Like 2

Mid week recap a little late, but better than never:

Sunday did a good bit of handstand practice and quite a bit of juggling. Also did a lot of shoveling in the back yard. You know all those piles I made a few weeks ago, had to move them... I'll have to move them again soon. Who needs a gym membership when you have yard work?

Monday I went for a run in the morning and pushed the distance a little. I ate well on Monday, getting in tons of protein and staying well under my calorie intake (more on that later... foreshadowing)

Tuesday I tried to do GMB Vitamins but it didn't work... I'm still dealing with tech support on that. But did circus stuff instead for active time. Also, I count kneading bread as active time... if you do it the way I do, it is a fair workout. Not as much protein as the day previous, but still well under calories.

Yesterday was good. I started out the morning doing handstand practice (which was awesome) and Rings. I discovered that if I don't start from a dead hang, I can eek out a pull up on the rings. So I continue working on lat pulls, slow negatives, and then did a couple of bent arm start pull ups. I wasn't super sore, but I could feel it (feel it a little more today.) Midday I started feeling really tired and sluggish (and hungry...) I looked at my calorie numbers for the week and went, "oops!" and so did a protein shake, some nuts and fruits and made sure to have a big dinner (I made Penang chicken and had two huge servings.) The big dinner was important because we were going running. I had decided to push a little further and get closer to the 5k I'll need to do this Saturday for the NerdFitness 5K (anyone else here doing it?) We did 2.96 miles (just under 5K) and did it in just under half an hour. I feel really good about getting it done on Saturday. It will be a push for me, but I am glad to finally be getting back into 5K runs. I used to do them all the time. It has been a goal to get back to doing them all the time, but I keep getting sidetracked. This fun run 5K has been exactly what I needed to push myself.

Today has been good. I took a rest from my normal morning workout after running so hard last night. But I just finished a quick handstand session... holy cow you guys... that was the best I've ever done. Each kick up felt good. I had some good hang time in the first couple, and then I did a couple where I kicked up and held it for a good 6-8 seconds. Then I kicked up and held it for 10 seconds. I had a good fist bump and then lined up to do it again. I kicked up and had to fight to get up, and then had to fight to keep it, but I kept it. I don't know how long I was up (felt like an hour or so, but was likely 10 seconds) but I really felt like I was doing a real handstand for the first time. I was correcting and holding it. Feels good and I can't wait to go try it again. Trying to be good about food today and not starve myself or gorge myself. 

All in all I feel really good about this week so far.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1