Nymeria becomes a desert creature

Nymeria

tumblr_pe3etgRACx1tpri36o1_400.gifv

I know.  Long time no see.  *sigh*  The tl;dr version is that I've spent the last 1.5 years not working out much aside from tons of walking, gaining weight (not the good kind), and feeling fatigued.  Also, the whole family has been in a funk.  So, thanks to covid and my husband getting 100% telecommute, we moved across the country 1.5 weeks ago.  Our pod full of stuff arrives tomorrow!  I'm hoping that a new location means a new start and a new lease on life.  

I'm also excited about the new Dune movies coming out.  I'm a huge fan of the books and loved the Dune and Children of Dune miniseries that came out 20-ish years ago.  I also literally moved from the swamp to the desert, so the loose theme seemed fitting.  ;)

Goals:  

1.  Earn 14 fitness points for each of strength, cardio, and stretching.  Right now,  I have a garage that will soon house my weights, rings, a mini climbing wall, and a silks rig (I already have the silks set up!).  I also have a 8' deep, maybe 40' long backyard pool.  Since I want to keep things light and easy, the requirements won't be huge for this.  I get 1 strength point for every 10 minutes of silks, rings, or weights, 1 stretching point for every 10 minutes of yoga, and 1 cardio point for every 1 mile walk or every swimming session.  

heat.jpeg.9675a0ee6138c872ca280e04a49a35ff.jpeg

2 (tied to point 1)  "But it's a dry heat..."   Most summer days, it reaches 100+ degrees.  I can't let that prevent me from working out.  So, the plan is to work with the weather rather than against it.  I need to make outdoor, non-swimming workouts happen before 9 am or after 5 pm.  Or I need to suck it up and deal with the heat.  I'm not allowed to laze around in the mornings, decide it's too hot, and then after 5 pm decide that I'm too tired to bother with a workout.   +1 point per day of compliance

3.  Be mindful of the water - The goal is to take water with me everywhere and make a point of drinking a lot of water.  Hydration is going to be trickier here, and drinking enough water will also help with some of the binge eating. +1 point per day of compliance

4. Wear my stillsuit - This one has two parts.  (a) Check the UV index and put on sunscreen if I'm going outside and it's over a 3.  (b) wear a cloth mask whenever I'm going to be out in public.  +1 point per day of compliance.

Bonus: Have fun exploring - Yay for this one!  The whole family reached a point where we were bored with everything in the area and even within a weekend trip from our old house.  Now, we have tons of new places to explore, and we're about a 10 minute drive from a couple different national forests with great hiking trails, a 40 minute drive from a mountain summit that is 20 degrees cooler and has great rock scrambling, and a 2 hour drive from some lakes that actually have good scuba.  We're also 15 minutes from a climbing gym.  So, there will be tons of exploring to do both now and after covid has died down a bit.  

pool.thumb.jpeg.c427af7fea135ebce085c9faa0b482cc.jpeg

• Like 10

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Welcome back! Is that your pool? That is so gorgeous.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Welcome back!!   What an adventure!

I don't know where you've ended up --- though obviously the southwest, and given the one super vague picture, and the temps you're broadcasting, my travel-bug intuition says suburbs of Vegas, lol!

Dry heat is like being a cookie getting baked in a convection oven, whereas humid heat is like being a stalk of asparagus in a steamer pan with water boiling below you.  I personally tolerate the dry much better.  It's HOT, but my lungs still work.

Congrats on the big move and the exciting new chapter you're diving into.

I second Elastigirl, that pool is AHMAZE!

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Nym! Welcome back! I'm so glad to see you on the boards again.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Nymeria! So good to see you! :)

I was actually thinking of you yesterday, because I am that playground mom now :D

18 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Now, we have tons of new places to explore, and we're about a 10 minute drive from a couple different national forests with great hiking trails, a 40 minute drive from a mountain summit that is 20 degrees cooler and has great rock scrambling, and a 2 hour drive from some lakes that actually have good scuba.  We're also 15 minutes from a climbing gym.  So, there will be tons of exploring to do both now and after covid has died down a bit.  

This is AWESOME. 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

23 hours ago, fearless 2.0 said:

cool challenge! I hear you on the hydrating goal... doing that as well. Have a great challenge! :)

Thanks!  I'm drinking water right now.  :)

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back! Is that your pool? That is so gorgeous.

Yep.  It's even my kids in my pool!  Having a backyard pool is kind of weird, honestly.  

21 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Welcome back!!   What an adventure!

I don't know where you've ended up --- though obviously the southwest, and given the one super vague picture, and the temps you're broadcasting, my travel-bug intuition says suburbs of Vegas, lol!

Dry heat is like being a cookie getting baked in a convection oven, whereas humid heat is like being a stalk of asparagus in a steamer pan with water boiling below you.  I personally tolerate the dry much better.  It's HOT, but my lungs still work.

Congrats on the big move and the exciting new chapter you're diving into.

I second Elastigirl, that pool is AHMAZE!

Your travel-bug intuition is about 400 miles off.  heh.  ;)   I guess the climate would be very similar though.  I am excited about doing a weekend trip there (mostly to do hoover dam and head to that side of the grand canyon).  

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Nym! Welcome back! I'm so glad to see you on the boards again.

Thanks!  It's good to be back, but I really need to make it all stick this time.  I need some extra motivation and accountability

8 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Welcome back!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Nymeria! So good to see you! :)

I was actually thinking of you yesterday, because I am that playground mom now :D

This is AWESOME. 

Hi!!!  Don't you just love being that playground mom who is doing pull ups on the monkey bars and actively running around with the kids?  How old is your daughter?  Like 3?  I'm going to have to track down your thread and see how life has been going for you.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Today is going to be a very light day for planned exercise and a heavy day for functional exercise.  The pod is arriving in 1-3 hours, so I'll be unloading boxes and furniture.  At least the new house doesn't have any stairs, so the whole process will be much easier than moving out of the old house was.  I can't wait to have all of my stuff.  Living in a new house while quarantining and not having any of our things has been very surreal.  Having my stuff will make it much more normal.  Plus, my yoga mat, weights, kettlebell, and all of that stuff is in the pod.  

Between the unloading, I also have to help my son prepare for a couple big math contests.  He has a national level elementary contest this Saturday and a national level middle school one the following Sunday (he has to compete as a 6th grader for the middle school one, but he's just a 4th grader).  

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

My tutorials:

Cool to hear he’s still into math :) 

28 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

At least the new house doesn't have any stairs

And a pool. Best move ever.

32 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Don't you just love being that playground mom who is doing pull ups on the monkey bars and actively running around with the kids?  How old is your daughter?  Like 3?  I'm going to have to track down your thread and see how life has been going for you.  

Yes! I aspired to be that mom when I was following your threads years ago and now we’re here. Ehhhh... minus the full pullups, but hopefully soon. 
3,5 :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Terra said:

So excited that you are back.  I think you are closer to me than Vegas, but that is just a guess.  😉

Enjoy the heat and all the new places to explore.  I'm jealous of the pool!!!!  

Out of curiosity, where do you/did you think I am?  

Yep.  I can't remember how far south you are, but I think I'm vaguely between you and Vegas, but a lot more south.  ;)  Like you, though, I'm in the real southwest and not Nevada, which doesn't count.  ;)  

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh sounds like will be a great move! So much exploring. And the pool!

I'm really loving the pool.  The best part is that I can use it at least 9 months out of the year.  Today, I didn't have much of a chance since I had to unload the pod and then unpack.  I still feel like I have another 100 days of unpacking before everything will be normal.  

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Cool to hear he’s still into math :) 

And a pool. Best move ever.

Yes! I aspired to be that mom when I was following your threads years ago and now we’re here. Ehhhh... minus the full pullups, but hopefully soon. 
3,5 :)

These days, everything is math and cello.  He's lucky that he's relatively large for his age, or he would be picked on for being a nerd.  

Of course you can't do the full pull ups.  You just had a baby a few months ago.  Give yourself some time!  I hope you're at least getting some sleep these days.  

• Like 2

My tutorials:

4 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Out of curiosity, where do you/did you think I am?  

Yep.  I can't remember how far south you are, but I think I'm vaguely between you and Vegas, but a lot more south.  ;)  Like you, though, I'm in the real southwest and not Nevada, which doesn't count.  ;)  

My first guess would be Phoenix.  The Flagstaff mountains are just a few hours away, and quite beautiful!!!   But maybe you are further south in Tucson, the hills are closer there. I'm in northern New Mexico about an hour outside of Santa Fe in the mountains. 

• Like 1

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Chase the Rainbow

11 minutes ago, Terra said:

My first guess would be Phoenix.  The Flagstaff mountains are just a few hours away, and quite beautiful!!!   But maybe you are further south in Tucson, the hills are closer there. I'm in northern New Mexico about an hour outside of Santa Fe in the mountains. 

Good guesses!  I’m in Tucson, but tucked away north east of Tucson, up in the foothills. My husband grew up here, so he’s thrilled to be back “home”. 

I’m about 5 miles from Sabino Canyon, a 15 minute drive from Saguaro National Park, and maybe 45 minutes from the peak of Mt Lemmon.  

• Like 3

My tutorials:

House unpacking is so much work.  Ugh.  I'm sore and exhausted, and everything is still a disaster.  

On 6/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, Terra said:

Hope you aren't near that nasty fire!!!  Or did they get it under control?   

For a trip to the weird side of life, check out the bio-dome!  

I'm close enough to the fire that if I step outside at night, I can see orange patches up in the mountain.  I also can see quite a lot of smoke during the days.  It's contained in the sense that it will not be able to head down the mountain and threaten anyone down here.  I think they have it directed enough that it won't hit the few populated areas on the mountain.  

• Like 6

My tutorials:

Cello and math, sounds awesome to me!    Except for me hating math and being a brass nerd as a kid.   But I still appreciate the focused studies!     I love the southwest so much and I really need to get back there SOON dangit.   I am super envious of you right now.

Glad your stuff is showing up and you're getting more normalized in new den!

• Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

On 6/16/2020 at 12:41 PM, Nymeria said:

I know.  Long time no see.  *sigh*  The tl;dr version is that I've spent the last 1.5 years not working out much aside from tons of walking, gaining weight (not the good kind), and feeling fatigued.

Hey Nymeria, I've come back as well. I also stopped everything healthy after I had to stop running. Depression, junk food, and now I'm quite de-conditioned. BUT, here we are!

Have a great challenge and may the hot summer burn the funk away!

• Like 1

22nd level Wanderer

better is right here, right now

The Way

Here's to all the 1% increases in life!

On 6/19/2020 at 5:03 PM, Nymeria said:

House unpacking is so much work.  Ugh.  I'm sore and exhausted, and everything is still a disaster.  

All my sympathies! 

On 6/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, Nymeria said:
On 6/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, KB Girl said:

These days, everything is math and cello.  He's lucky that he's relatively large for his age, or he would be picked on for being a nerd.  

Of course you can't do the full pull ups.  You just had a baby a few months ago.  Give yourself some time!  I hope you're at least getting some sleep these days. 

Cello? Wauw! That’s so cool. 

sleep isn’t too bad at all :) roughest thing about pullup practice is that it’s really the only thing that makes me lose control over my pelvic floor and.. well you get the idea. You ever had that problem?

Kiddo finally finished his big national math tournament (he got 4th for his grade!).  Also, the house is mostly put back together, which means I can focus more on my goals.  Today, the plan is to do a silks workout and take a nice walk as soon as I finish my coffee.  Then, errands + enough shopping that I can make enchilada soup in my instant pot (yay.  instant pot = healthy eating).  Then swimming and some yoga, family games, and even more swimming.  

19 hours ago, KB Girl said:

roughest thing about pullup practice is that it’s really the only thing that makes me lose control over my pelvic floor and.. well you get the idea. You ever had that problem?

If I remember how to do it, this will be behind a hidden tag for TMI reasons. 

Spoiler

Anyway, yeah.  Once you've had a couple babies, things just aren't ever quite the same.  I always make a huge point of going to the bathroom immediately before exercising.  If it's going to be especially vigorous or if I feel less controlled, I'll use one of those super thin poise pads to catch whatever leakage.  It's honestly better than feeling like you've wet your pants.  For me, the worst exercise is jumping rope or anything that has a lot of fast, rhythmic jumping.  The whole thing is honestly nbd once you've started a good routine to manage it.  But yeah.  It pretty much happens to everyone who has had a couple babies.  

On 6/19/2020 at 9:34 PM, Terinatum said:

Hey Nymeria, I've come back as well. I also stopped everything healthy after I had to stop running. Depression, junk food, and now I'm quite de-conditioned. BUT, here we are!

Have a great challenge and may the hot summer burn the funk away!

I've found that it's so hard to come back.  I keep comparing myself to how I performed at my peak, get discouraged, and then find it hard to motivate myself.  I really just need to slog through all of that.  

On 6/19/2020 at 8:52 AM, Starpuck said:

Cello and math, sounds awesome to me!    Except for me hating math and being a brass nerd as a kid.   But I still appreciate the focused studies!     I love the southwest so much and I really need to get back there SOON dangit.   I am super envious of you right now.

Glad your stuff is showing up and you're getting more normalized in new den!

You're in Chicago, right?  Yeah, I'd take the southwest any day over that.  (I grew up in the upper midwest, so .....)  ;)   There's nothing wrong with brass, unless you're the parent who has to listen to the kid practicing in the house.  There's a reason that I "encouraged" my kids do strings instead.  ;) 

• Like 1

My tutorials:

Day 1 update:  Yesterday, I did a 20 minute silks workout.  It was on one hand kind of discouraging, since I'm so weak and inflexible compared to 2 years ago.  On the other hand, it was still fun, and I'm so sore today.  I also went swimming twice, for a total of about 2 hours, and walked 2 miles.  I forgot completely about the stretching.  😓  I also was great about wearing a mask when running errands, drinking tons of water, and applying the sunscreen. So, my totals are:

Strength: 2;  Cardio: 4;   Stretching: 0;  Goals 2-4: OK. 

I guess this is a great starting point.  I'm sore, but can work around that and find good strength work.  I have some awful pool toe, so I probably won't swim today, and that will give me extra time to do some stretching and yoga.  Heck, I'll probably set up my yoga mat in the backyard and do yoga while supervising the kids' morning swim session.  

It's not reflected in the score, but I also made a pretty amazing vegetarian enchilada soup in the instant pot, so now I have a lot of healthy leftovers.  Yay!

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Not sure what the official cause of pool toe is, but if it is from the roughness of the pool bottom, have you tried aqua sox? I wear them in  the pool and it helps protect my feet.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien