Mad Hatter rebuilds the foundations

I just wrote out a frickin' essay on my life struggles in my previous challenge, so let's just get straight to the goals mmkay. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5044155

Goal 1: Figure out how to be a productive human being

giphy.gif

Experiment A: Do the Most Important Task first thing in the morning (after I become a functioning human that is). This is probably art or business or adulting related.

Experiment B: Try BuJoing (again). Nothing fancy, once a week I'll go through weekly tasks, and in the evenings I'll figure out what the MIT for the next day is.

Goal 2: Get back to movement

Do something every day straight after work. This will probably be climbing if my friends are going, something pole related if not, a walk if I'm tired or if have the don't wannas.

source.gif

Goal 3: Unapologetically share art

Practice not making excuses. Yes I'm a beginner. Yes I'm still learning. Yes I think all of it sucks and I can see a list of mistakes as long as my arm in every piece. That doesn't mean I have to repeat it for every image I post. It makes it less fun for everyone. 

Like this - hey, here's a thing! Sometimes I make shapes and turn the shapes into somethings. This was also the first time I used my new fancy markers. 😍The end.

IMG_8488.thumb.jpg.11bd1a14c9435e9d40064f08935206b5.jpg

• Like 10

Love these goals, but especially goal #3.

Also I agree, that snail is my favorite. You can tell that snail did drugs in the 70s.

Though the bat’s interesting too, in a mesmerizing sort of way.

Here here!  The snail is tip top :D Love the others too. What markers do you use? How do you shades and highlights, do you start from darkest first or the opposite? and do you keep white space or do you have a special white marker? Curious :P

14 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Upping the gif game are you?! Love it :D

It happens once in a blue moon. :P 

13 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

Unapologetic art sounds awesome. Bring it on.

200.gif

13 hours ago, tei_ said:

👋 I LOVE your art! That snail is so cute? The bulging eyeballs? Aaaaaaa!

Hiiii! Thank you so much! 😍😄

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Hey hey!!! I'm back from hiatus / will occasionally pop in, at least. Now I really want to know what the starting shapes were for those cute doodles (is doodles even the right word? heck if I know).

Yay great to see you again! 

Umm circles? Spirals? Creativity was nowhere to be seen that day. 😂

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Aw man I love the art and the art goal :) 

other than that one I think we’re totally goal buddies! 

Goal buddies, I like that! Though my bujo will be nowhere near as nice as yours, it's just an old half used notebook with todo lists in it haha. 

9 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Great challenge! I'm excited to see more of your art.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Go get it!!! (Including defining whatever it is that it or those its are :D )

One of these days I'll figure it out! For like 5 minutes before I change my mind. ;) 

6 hours ago, PaulG said:

Love these goals, but especially goal #3.

Also I agree, that snail is my favorite. You can tell that snail did drugs in the 70s.

Though the bat’s interesting too, in a mesmerizing sort of way.

Haha love that snail image!

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Totally here for this.  Also, I loved the art stuff, but the mindset behind sharing it even moreso. :) 

NF is such a friendly and supportive forum it makes it a good place to practice that mindset. :) 

3 hours ago, @mu said:

Here here!  The snail is tip top :D Love the others too. What markers do you use? How do you shades and highlights, do you start from darkest first or the opposite? and do you keep white space or do you have a special white marker? Curious :P

I splurged on Copic markers and they're awesome. This time I started with the local colour first, making space for larger highlights. Then I created the shadows either by using a darker marker or adding another layer or two. For smaller highlights I used a white gel pen. It's tricky to plan and easy to make mistakes as you have to work super fast, but it's so much fun!

I've also experimented with gradients to create shadows, either by using a different colour or a colourless marker which fades the colour (or perhaps repels the colour, I'm not quite sure how it works). Only on swatches so far though.  

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Good luck with your Most Important Task goal! Looks like a great idea and hard at the same time.

Waiting for more art to come!

Thank you! On paper I like this approach as it's extremely flexible in terms of scheduling while keeping me focused at the same time. But I suspect I might need a feeeew iterations of experiments to find a way that works for me. :P 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Though my bujo will be nowhere near as nice as yours, it's just an old half used notebook with todo lists in it haha. 

I have simply successfully deceived you all into thinking mine isn’t just that with the occasional outlier ;) 

• Haha 3

Couldn't find a shading video but this guy does a lot of art (challenges) and explains how he works while doing so. In case it is useful:

Spoiler

He might even have a videos specifically about shading, hmm

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

One of these days I'll figure it out! For like 5 minutes before I change my mind. ;) 

No way as the way! 😎

17 minutes ago, analoggirl said:

Couldn't find a shading video but this guy does a lot of art (challenges) and explains how he works while doing so. In case it is useful:

Thanks, appreciated, but honestly I don't particularly like his videos, nor his art (I'd never think he's a professional), and I really don't get why he has such a big following. Either way, markers are simple things and it'd take me less time to figure out by trial and error than watching the full video. :P Really a lot of this art stuff is about gaining XP than anything else. A loooooot of XP!

• Like 4

Hi, once again!  I'm right there with you on goals 1 and 2.  Being productive is surprisingly hard.  I checked out your last challenge, and I think we're both having some similar mental health issues.  I'm hopefully here for you (*assuming I don't get into my own funk and disappear again).

I'm excited to eventually talk about climbing with you!  I'm at this point abandoning parkour and returning to climbing (for many reasons, but at least in part because I moved and am no longer close to a parkour gym).  So hooray for all of the climbing (*once the climbing gyms are open and it's safe to be around people again)!

Your artwork is really cute!  I really like the snail and the robot guy, and I hope you post more things! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

Hi, once again!  I'm right there with you on goals 1 and 2.  Being productive is surprisingly hard.  I checked out your last challenge, and I think we're both having some similar mental health issues.  I'm hopefully here for you (*assuming I don't get into my own funk and disappear again).

I'm excited to eventually talk about climbing with you!  I'm at this point abandoning parkour and returning to climbing (for many reasons, but at least in part because I moved and am no longer close to a parkour gym).  So hooray for all of the climbing (*once the climbing gyms are open and it's safe to be around people again)!

Your artwork is really cute!  I really like the snail and the robot guy, and I hope you post more things! 

NYM! Great to see you, welcome back! 🎉Being productive is definitely not my default mode. 😂Sometimes I wish I'd been raised with or had developed a work ethic when I was younger, buuut I've never had a real need to and now here I am.

Fingers crossed about getting back to climbing soon! It's been a looong time since I climbed regularly, way before the pandemic, and it's such a struggle bus. But it's good fun, especially now that I'm finding the movement again.

Thanks! 🤗

• Like 1

MIT 

Movement I halfheartedly reacquainted myself with the pole, doing a short session of suuuuper basic stuff. Rebuilding foundations and all. I say halfheartedly because my flat was uncomfortably sticky. One the plus side my grip is great.

Art I didn't have time to work on any personal work as my anatomy study took forever. It wasn't helped by the fact that every reference displays muscles in a slightly different way. You'd think that anatomy is anatomy but nope!

Here's my homework. 🤓

IMG_8505.jpg.83ac02250ad3af5f4d261b6818d296b1.jpg

• Like 5
On 6/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Like this - hey, here's a thing! Sometimes I make shapes and turn the shapes into somethings. This was also the first time I used my new fancy markers. 😍The end.

Sweet! 

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here's my homework. 🤓

Even better! Love those muscles. Where are you learning anatomy from? 

12 hours ago, tei_ said:

Are you using a course or method for the drawing? Where do you get the studies from?

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

Even better! Love those muscles. Where are you learning anatomy from? 

I just started a Schoolism course on creature anatomy and the first creature study happens to be human. I don't know about the quality of the teaching yet, but the coming assignments are ridiculously fun and I'm super excited! The references are a mix of google and (not great) reference sheets included in the course.

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That is phenomenal!  Looks like a textbook (except the mohawk on the last one):) 

Thanks! 🤗

1 minute ago, sylph said:

More anatomy texts should have mohawks.

Haha agreed.

• Like 1

I just spend an hour in a meeting, sitting outside, drinking coffee and making a silly sketch. Then I picked up a brush pen to start inking it, and realized my hand is too shaky from the caffeine. Womp womp. 🙈😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2