Riviera's Ninja Training, Chapter 1

Riviera16

On 7/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, juliebarkley said:

Ooh, brainstorm more about zucchini. It is the hardest vegetable to use, I swear. Parsnip a close second.

Funny, I find zucchini is actually one of easier vegetables to use because of how versatile it is. You can chop it up and put it in a stirfry or curry, turn it into zucchini noodles to use in your favorite pasta dishes, bake it in a casserole, or even just slice them, shake some seasonings on, and throw them on the grill. …That being said, aside from using zucchini for noodles I haven't seen very many recipes for zucchini in my meanderings around our cookbooks and the Internet. I think nearly everything I've done with zucchini has been the result of my own experimenting and improvising. I know there's a lot you can do with it but I'm honestly not sure where I would go if I wanted to learn more recipes/techniques. :P

Hm. You know, I could probably start a new thread specifically for zucchini recipes and ideas. I bet I could write down approximately what I did for some of my favorite zucchini dishes even though I didn't use a recipe. That could be fun...

On 7/19/2020 at 4:32 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I have idea how well chlorine does at killing Covid, but even when we were at very the trough between waves (45 consecutive days of zero new infections for the entire city) everything opened except pools.  Even when people thought everything else was safe, the pools stayed closed so I suspect they may not be very safe, even with social distancing.  

Yeah, I'm not really sure how chlorine factors into the equation. I know surface transmission, while not zero, is much less problematic than airborne/person-to-person transmission. If small droplets from breath can spread the virus it would seem that non-chlorinated water would be as bad if not worse. If chlorine does kill the virus, great, and if not, one more reason for me to be glad I stayed home. 😅

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Aw dang. Hope the knee chills out soon.

I know right? Getting knee injuries (or injuries of any kind) is no fun. After some consideration I decided to skip my weekend workout altogether and focus on resting and gently moving my knee in the hopes of maximizing how much healing progress it will have made by Tuesday. Flat ground is completely fine and I'm rarely even thinking about it just walking around the house, but stairs and hills are still something I'm trying to avoid. Assuming it feels like it's still getting better on Tuesday I will try some gentle hills or assisted stairs just to see how it's doing. If it feels like it hasn't made any progress I'm going to have to start considering seeing a physical therapist; normally I'd be happy to go right for that but the coronavirus complicates things rather a lot. Meanwhile, sadly, I'm going to have to take a break from working on parkour. I think that's what sucks the most about this whole thing. 😣

• Like 1

-=<| You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending. |>=-

Daily Log: Apocalypse Training  ||  Current challenge: Riviera's Ninja Training, Chapter 1

Zucchini... I'm impressed you find it so versatile. I've never been able to figure out what to do with it. It may also have something to do with the fact that as a small child, I decided it was just a more bitter cucumber and resolved to eat as little of it as possible... I now love almost all the things I hated as a kid, but I just haven't found something I love for zucchini.

On 7/20/2020 at 1:40 PM, Riviera16 said:

Flat ground is completely fine and I'm rarely even thinking about it just walking around the house, but stairs and hills are still something I'm trying to avoid.

Rough, I understand the knee issues, I still get them on and off. How's it doing now?

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Wow, I can't believe how long it's been. I have completely been forgetting to post updates for at least the better part of a week. Whoops. So in a nutshell, here's whats been happening. I've been only partway making my challenge goals recently. Some can be blamed on my knee, but I've been forgetting my wrist exercises and light off-day workouts, which I'm still perfectly capable of doing. My cooking, on the other hand, has been going really well. Within the past week or two I've made another Panang curry, homemade dumplings, two improvised zucchini curries (both different combinations of Indian spices), and tonight, after being inspired by last night's ordered-in Thai food, a Thai spicy eggplant stir-fry. Along the way I wound up accidentally making the discovery that my dad has a strong dislike for the smell of fish sauce/oyster sauce... This dish had a fair bit of them in it and fish and/or oyster sauce does smell pretty strong. When I first started using them I thought they smelled pretty weird too but over time they've grown on me. I guess it's an acquired taste for some people. :P 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:36 AM, PaulG said:

Rough, I understand the knee issues, I still get them on and off. How's it doing now?

The knee is definitely better, but not all the way. I'm completely fine walking around the house and can go up stairs much more easily now, but going down still I have to avoid having my bad knee as the following leg. Pistol squats/etc. are out of the question, let alone parkour. But while I may have an excuse for outright missing my parkour goal it's no excuse to stop taking care of my body & working out. Tuesday I did an arm/core circuit and Thursday I did 2 2/3 supersets, again focusing on arm/core. Knee or not I'm still on track there.

If nothing else, I hope this interlude will help me with another miscellaneous goal of mine: building deltoid strength/muscle mass. I think I mentioned a while back in one thread or another how I've been doing bicep, tricep, and upper back/lats exercises for ages but my deltoids were seriously neglected. I noticed the lower half of my upper arms were gaining definition but my upper-upper arms were getting nothing. At some point I decided maybe I could do something about that. Now I have even more reason to give those some long overdue attention. ;)   

...And of course, there's the other big thing right now: ComicCon online!! I've been wearing costumes/cosplays around the house the past few days and this afternoon I saw two video panels- one about the upcoming new season of Cosmos this fall and one on NASA's plans to return humans to the moon and eventually go to Mars. The latter, I realized upon reading the description while waiting for it to start, was hosted/moderated by William Shatner. I was geeking out enough about the cool technology and science making these planned space missions possible before realizing the panel would be hosted by Captain Kirk from the original Star Trek! I remember shouting to the couple family members within earshot and literally jumping up and down with excitement. It turned out to be a really neat panel too. I'd heard a bit about the plans for NASA's Artemis missions but now I know even more. I only wish our connection had been better; the audio wouldn't stop lagging & skipping. Even so, it was a load of fun and I'm looking forward to more tomorrow! :D 

• Like 2

-=<| You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending. |>=-

Daily Log: Apocalypse Training  ||  Current challenge: Riviera's Ninja Training, Chapter 1

It's great that you're staying positive even during the injury. I hope it heals up soon so that you can learn some of those ninja skills! :)

Sometimes the name of the game is just doing what you can, and like you pointed out this is an opportunity to focus up on your delts. I love the pike pushup for this purpose.

Yeah I'm stoked that we're starting to see humanity make some steps towards space exploration again. There is a lot of mystery up there, and I think it'd be so cool to live during a time where maybe a space station on Mars gets created, and the common citizen can book a vacation there.

• Like 2
On 7/25/2020 at 4:17 PM, Riviera16 said:

The knee is definitely better, but not all the way. I'm completely fine walking around the house and can go up stairs much more easily now, but going down still I have to avoid having my bad knee as the following leg. Pistol squats/etc. are out of the question, let alone parkour. But while I may have an excuse for outright missing my parkour goal it's no excuse to stop taking care of my body & working out. Tuesday I did an arm/core circuit and Thursday I did 2 2/3 supersets, again focusing on arm/core. Knee or not I'm still on track there.

Glad to hear you're still getting things done. I fully support going into a professional PT about it, since until then it's hard for anyone to say what's actually wrong. The only thing I have to add... I've had some minor/moderate quad/patellar tendinopathy that has caused problems for the last year or more (and incidentally my symptoms are often similar to yours, knee pain both above and below the knee with squats, and sometimes going down stairs or downhill hiking). I definitely haven't fixed it completely, but I have found that for me, at least, just resting didn't help beyond the first week or two. Ultimately I had to come up with a half-decent rehab plan.

Nowadays I'll stop my strength work once I get a twinge, and I'll take it easy the next workout, but as long as my leg isn't seriously aggravated I'm usually back on the horse after that.

I know that you and I seem to have somewhat similar leg imbalances (eg you also have similarly tight hamstrings), so I wouldn't be surprised if working out those imbalances has similar good effects for you. (OTOH, #notadoctor.)

22 hours ago, Vidd said:

focus up on your delts. I love the pike pushup for this purpose.

QFT!

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st