Jump to content

Lateral Planet Rejoins Society


Recommended Posts

I've been working from home and barely going out since late March, but next week I'll be returning to the office and starting to get back out into the world more regularly. It's actually great timing because for the next six weeks I'll be working a nice reliable 9 to 5, so it's a great opportunity to get some good habits locked in. Here's the plan:

 

Exercise more:

1) Yoga every day
Started this habit in iso and want to bring it with me through to real life

2) Bonus exercise

Either a walk or a run or some bodyweight exercises, something to get me off the couch

 

Eat smart:

3) Less sugar

Aim for around 25g a day and no more

4) Meal prep

Since the office has lousy food options I'll need to plan ahead if I want to eat

 

Sleep smart:

5) No snoozing

Commuting means less time for sleeping in

 

So this time around I'm building on some good stuff from the previous challenge and incorporating some stuff that worked for me in the past. I foresee the biggest challenge to be the sugar tracking goal, since I love me some sugar, with a close second being the snoozing goal, since I've gotten accustomed to not having to dash out the door first thing every morning. Heck I'm also accustomed to just wearing lounge pants all the time, so even dressing professionally might be a challenge! I'll let you know how it goes ;)

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

3) Less sugar

Aim for around 25g a day and no more

 

I'm doing this roughly too, I didn't set myself a numerical goal, more just trying to not binge out.  Feels like I've done well so far, but the cravings are real.  Bought a bunch of flavored almonds that have 1 or less grams of sugar per 24-almond serving.  Helps to have them on hand instead.

  • Like 3

Training Log/Progress Pics: Harder to Kill

Current Challenge: Zach from Water, to Water

Challenge History: 1 2 3 4 

Link to post

I miss routine! Here's to a smooth transition! :DDD

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, ZachPSU said:

I'm doing this roughly too, I didn't set myself a numerical goal, more just trying to not binge out.  Feels like I've done well so far, but the cravings are real.  Bought a bunch of flavored almonds that have 1 or less grams of sugar per 24-almond serving.  Helps to have them on hand instead.

Good luck my dude! Very good plan for emergency snacks :)

 

Apparently 25g is the recommended daily intake and I feel like it's way less than I usually have! I can't bear calorie counting (learnt that very early on in the journey) but I can make myself pay attention to one line item on the nutrition label, so that's the plan.

 

Also my main meals are well balanced; Husband and I do a lot of home cooking and if McDonald's suddenly disappeared it would be a long time before I missed it. But it's the over-snacking that's holding me back. So the sugar is like my boss battle. I'll never give up chocolate altogether but I need to relearn how to enjoy it in small doses.

  • Like 4
Link to post
24 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I miss routine! Here's to a smooth transition! :DDD

It's been weird! I'm actually really looking forward to going back to the office. Working from home has been great, but I'm definitely feeling pretty cooped up after three whole months.

 

I'm really really excited about Saturday; they're lifting another level of restrictions and I'm ready to break free of the isolation mindset and get back to doing some normal stuff. I'm getting my first haircut since February, it's going to be amazing to get rid of these super split ends! I'm going to do some non-essential shopping at the big mall. And, last but not least, a friend is having a little dinner party and it's been so long since I've seen most of those guys IRL.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Treat Yo' Self 2020 went very well! Got myself a long-overdue haircut at the fancy place where they give you tea and massage your head like they want to crack it open. Got myself a yoga mat at last! I tried ordering one online months ago but because it was coming from China customs sent it back. I've been using a folded-up blanket instead, and that's fine for cushioning my knees but it's dangerously slippy for any standing-up poses. And dinner and games with friends was so much fun; as much as I love my husband it's so nice to hang out with other people once in a while!

 

The only downside was I couldn't find the tea shop in the mall. I forgot it had moved and I couldn't even find a map anywhere, and I gave up because my feet were getting sore. And now I have blisters on my feet, which sucks. I guess since I haven't been out for a walk in a while my feet were soft and couldn't handle a wander around the mall. I was planning to go for a run tomorrow but I'll have to wait and see.

 

Edit: I forgot to mention I also signed up for the Nerd Fitness virtual race and bought myself a shirt!

  • Like 4
Link to post

following along again! 

  • Like 1

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit

Link to post

Setting myself up for success at the start of the challenge tomorrow (weeks go Monday to Sunday and you can't change my mind :P ) I've done my meal prep so I have four lunches ready, and four days to figure out what I'll eat on Friday. Packed all my work stuff into the car so I don't have to mess about too much in the morning, and set an alarm so I'll actually remember to get up and go to the office. 

 

Foreseeable challenges:

1) Hosted afternoon tea today and there's a lot of sweet delicious leftovers in the fridge. Fortunately there are no urgent use-by deadlines so I can just ration it out to myself and just have a little nibble each day

2) Until now yoga has been a morning habit but there's no way I'm going to get out of bed before 7am to make time for it. Planning to get my exercises done as soon as I get home, because if I let myself get comfy on the couch I'll lose all momentum

3) Bad weather and blisters mean a run is unlikely to occur very soon, so I will also need to make time for some extra exercises at home

  • Like 3
Link to post
On 6/20/2020 at 5:46 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Edit: I forgot to mention I also signed up for the Nerd Fitness virtual race and bought myself a shirt!

Thanks for the reminder. I was going to sign up too (and just did), but forgot about it. So all signed up now. I know I won't be running it this time, but Hopefully I can be walking that distance by then.

 

I have been looking more and more into yoga for exercise. Though, I am still worried about my arm for anything upper body related. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Monday went quite well! I remembered to do my yoga in the afternoon, and I also did some flexibility training through a Nerd Fitness video. The only thing was I had a tiny bit too much sugar; 32g instead of 25, but that's still heaps less than I usually have so I'm not mad about it. But I've learnt my lesson: I tend to underestimate the sugar content of everything, so look stuff up BEFORE you eat it! I figure as long as I'm still keeping track and being mindful about it I'm still winning.

  • Like 2
Link to post
5 hours ago, Tateman said:

Thanks for the reminder. I was going to sign up too (and just did), but forgot about it. So all signed up now. I know I won't be running it this time, but Hopefully I can be walking that distance by then.

 

I have been looking more and more into yoga for exercise. Though, I am still worried about my arm for anything upper body related. 

I definitely will be walking it! Running hasn't been a regular part of my routine for ages, so I'm not planning to break any records. But it's nice to join in on stuff now and again just because.

 

Yoga has been really good! I started using the Down Dog app a few months ago when they were doing a free trial. Started with the restorative style, which mostly involves lying on the floor and doesn't necessarily require a lot of strength or flexibility. I'm gradually levelling up, just doing 20 minutes a day, but there are a lot of moves I just can't do, so I just focus on what I can do and figure I'll eventually work up to it. Definitely don't do anything that feels dodgy for your arm though!

  • Like 3
Link to post
2 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I tend to underestimate the sugar content of everything, so look stuff up BEFORE you eat it! I figure as long as I'm still keeping track and being mindful about it I'm still winning.

 

I watched a doc a month ago or so on amazon prime video (Im sure it streams elsewhere too) called “Is Sugar The New Fat?”  It was pretty eye opening and I got to hear New Zealand accents the whole time

  • Like 1

Training Log/Progress Pics: Harder to Kill

Current Challenge: Zach from Water, to Water

Challenge History: 1 2 3 4 

Link to post
4 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Monday went quite well! I remembered to do my yoga in the afternoon, and I also did some flexibility training through a Nerd Fitness video. The only thing was I had a tiny bit too much sugar; 32g instead of 25, but that's still heaps less than I usually have so I'm not mad about it. But I've learnt my lesson: I tend to underestimate the sugar content of everything, so look stuff up BEFORE you eat it! I figure as long as I'm still keeping track and being mindful about it I'm still winning.

Yeah, sugar is very sneaky. I never realized how much was in food in America. I did whole 30 awhile back, and it was kinda frustrating to see so much sugars in things. Even pickles had high fructose corn syrup. Like wtf! I have really tried to look since then haha.

  • Like 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, ZachPSU said:

I watched a doc a month ago or so on amazon prime video (Im sure it streams elsewhere too) called “Is Sugar The New Fat?”  It was pretty eye opening and I got to hear New Zealand accents the whole time

I've seen That Sugar Film but I'll have to look out for that one, I do love a Kiwi accent!

 

2 hours ago, Tateman said:

Yeah, sugar is very sneaky. I never realized how much was in food in America. I did whole 30 awhile back, and it was kinda frustrating to see so much sugars in things. Even pickles had high fructose corn syrup. Like wtf! I have really tried to look since then haha.

So sneaky! I was pushed over the limit by a tiny bite-sized treat. I'd thrown away the original packaging that had the nutrition label on it and figured, "It's about the same size and sweetness as this other treat which I know has 5g in it." Afterwards I thought to look it up online and it turns out to be twice that much!

 

Here they're usually more straightforward in the labelling so luckily I don't have to look out for sneaky variations of "sugar". In America my biggest challenge was the portion sizes. We learnt very quickly to choose the "small" size where possible and skip the bread! 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Victory! I just did my 20 minutes of yoga for today and I had a go at a pose that thwarted me a month ago:

1620785339_Screenshot_20200518-082313_DownDog_resize_88.jpg.3532c4555d95a457ddb433528ab532a0.jpg

 

I didn't manage to go all the way back; Husband said my feet were about 18 inches off the floor. But this time last month I couldn't even get my butt of the floor and I pulled the muscles in my upper arms trying, so that's some serious progress!

 

My big mission for the rest of the day is to decline dessert when offered. There's a fresh tub of ice cream in the freezer and I know Husband's going to want to crack into it tonight, but I've already had my sugar allowance for the day so he'll be on his own.

  • Like 2
Link to post
7 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Here they're usually more straightforward in the labelling so luckily I don't have to look out for sneaky variations of "sugar". In America my biggest challenge was the portion sizes. We learnt very quickly to choose the "small" size where possible and skip the bread! 

 

We do love our large portion sizes.  We just bought smaller kitchen plates to replace ours, the visual should help not feeling like the food should 'cover' the whole plate.

5 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I didn't manage to go all the way back; Husband said my feet were about 18 inches off the floor. But this time last month I couldn't even get my butt of the floor and I pulled the muscles in my upper arms trying, so that's some serious progress!

 

Awesome progress!  That's a pose I have never attempted, and will need significant mobility work before attempting 😅

  • Like 1

Training Log/Progress Pics: Harder to Kill

Current Challenge: Zach from Water, to Water

Challenge History: 1 2 3 4 

Link to post
8 hours ago, ZachPSU said:

We do love our large portion sizes.  We just bought smaller kitchen plates to replace ours, the visual should help not feeling like the food should 'cover' the whole plate.

I've heard the idea is you're meant to take the leftovers home with you, but that doesn't really work when you're on holiday and the hotel charges you to use the fridge. Good idea with the smaller plates! Our plates have a pattern around the edge and I always make sure everything fits inside that rather than going all the way to the edge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 6/20/2020 at 8:46 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Edit: I forgot to mention I also signed up for the Nerd Fitness virtual race and bought myself a shirt!

:o I didn't know that was a thing! I signed up now. I won't be able to run it but me and the fiance can walk that (hopefully) no problem. And, now I want a NF shirt... lol

 

15 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Victory! I just did my 20 minutes of yoga for today and I had a go at a pose that thwarted me a month ago:

1620785339_Screenshot_20200518-082313_DownDog_resize_88.jpg.3532c4555d95a457ddb433528ab532a0.jpg

 

I didn't manage to go all the way back; Husband said my feet were about 18 inches off the floor. But this time last month I couldn't even get my butt of the floor and I pulled the muscles in my upper arms trying, so that's some serious progress!

That's awesome! Such huge progress! Keep it up. :)

  • Like 1

Level 1 Elf Rebel Ranger

STR 0.15 || DEX 0.00 || STA 0.36 || CON 4.71 || WIS 6.47 || CHA 3.32

Character Profile || Fitbit

Battle Log || Current Challenge

Link to post
39 minutes ago, Neeko said:

:o I didn't know that was a thing! I signed up now. I won't be able to run it but me and the fiance can walk that (hopefully) no problem. And, now I want a NF shirt... lol

I got an email about it a few weeks ago and forgot until the other day. I'll almost definitely be walking the whole way! I don't think they've done any merch in a long while so I'm excited for the shirt :)

 

10 hours ago, ZachPSU said:

Awesome progress!  That's a pose I have never attempted, and will need significant mobility work before attempting 

 

40 minutes ago, Neeko said:

That's awesome! Such huge progress! Keep it up. :)

Thanks guys. I discovered the trick is to do it a bit faster than instructed so I'm not having to fight gravity so hard to get off the ground but instead using the momentum from lying down to help me flip over. So it's kind of cheating but I'm still doing it in a safe and controlled way so I don't hurt myself. Hopefully a bit more practice and I'll have the strength to do it at a slower pace, and the flexibility to get my toes to touch the ground!

  • Like 2
Link to post

It's Friday morning and there's not a lot to report. I've been doing my yoga every day (and I did that flip again yesterday so it wasn't a fluke!) But I haven't managed to make time for any bonus exercises; the couch is just too inviting.

 

Been averaging 30g sugar per day this week, which isn't too shabby. It's only just over the recommended daily intake of 25, so I'm going to count it as a win.

 

Remembered to pack something for lunch today so that's all my meal prep done for the week. I've successfully avoided the staff cafeteria! Also I picked up ingredients to make a big batch of pumpkin soup for next week so I'm a step ahead already. 

 

And I've been getting out of bed early despite the frost and fog outside and the electric blanket inside. I may have lingered a bit but I've always been in at work before 8:30 so that's a win.

  • Like 1
Link to post
16 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

And I've been getting out of bed early despite the frost and fog outside and the electric blanket inside. I may have lingered a bit but I've always been in at work before 8:30 so that's a win.

 

Lots of wins! Nice job!

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines