Vidd's Journey to the Top of the Bar

Vidd

Hows it going assassins? I've been active for a few weeks over in the daily battle logs, but decided now was a good opportunity to try my hand at a challenge. I hope to meet new friends along the way, and also really focus in on a skill I've been wanting to have for a long time now.

So, a bit of background on me. For anyone who has read my original log(link in signature), I started off really skinny, and began bodybuilding as a way to overcome that insecurity. I went from 145lbs to 190lbs in the course of six years, but then the virus struck, and the gym that had been my anchor and source of confidence at the time was now no longer an option.

This time led to a lot of introspection. I've come to the realization that a lot of the people I've admired growing up have always been those that were strong, yet also agile and had mastered their bodies. I don't need to be bulked up to feel comfortable in my own skin. I'd much rather look like Ezio/Altair from assassin's creed, or Oliver Queen from Arrow who has currently been a big motivation for me. And so this brings me to my overall goal:

Main Quest: To do all in my ability to train to become a modern day super hero. This will mean that I will need to develop a diverse array of skills such as calisthenics, parkour, and eventually, perhaps some form of martial art. At this time I believe to reach the goals I have for myself, I need to first build myself on strong foundation. If I can master my bodyweight, everything else I attempt to do physically, should come much easier. And so the theme of this log will be to string together a set of goals that will allow me to accomplish the Salmon Ladder in the next month!

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Okay I'm kidding on that! I just wanted an excuse to add this cool Arrow gif of something I am still dreaming of being able to. I gotta remember I need to set SMART goals not ones that will get me killed :D The real goal will be to do my first Muscle-up. I've used this metaphor before with calisthenics movements I'm trying to learn but I envision a skill tree, where you need to level up lesser versions of the skill before finally getting to put points into that really cool ability. I've selected each of these goals carefully in hopes they will build up to that first ever Muscle Up. So let's get started!

Goal #1 Nutrition-related: For the duration of this challenge I will be implementing Intermittent Fasting utilizing a 16 hour fast, with an 8 hour feeding window. How this works is I will wake up at 8, and my first meal of the day will occur around noon. I will stop eating anything as soon as 8PM hits. The purpose of this is for me to still feel like I'm eating big meals, despite still being at a caloric deficit. How this ties into the muscle-up is the leaner I am, the stronger I'll feel on the bar, so long as I preserve my lean muscle. My goal weight loss is 5lbs which may not seem a lot, but I want to do this very slowly to ensure I'm not losing muscle at the same time.

Goal #2 Lifestyle-related: Sleep has been a theme in my battle log, and it's going to be one in this challenge as well, but this time I want to quantify it. I will aim for 56 hours of sleep per week. This averages out to 8 hours a day. The reason I am doing a weekly tally is life happens. If I only get 7 one day that doesn't mean the entire challenge is ruined, it means I need to sleep 9 hours the next day. I need to really watch this because I can very easily get into a sleep deficit. How does this tie into the muscle up? With an explosive movement like the muscle up I need not only my muscles to be recovered, but also my central nervous system. Rest is critical for this aim.

Goal #3 Fitness-related: I will be continuing my every other day full body routine schedule, with my off days being active rest that will consist of abs, yoga and walking. However the focus will be on muscle-up practice, and working on the component movements. Movements I've identified as components are as follows: Speed Pullups(Chest to bar), Hanging Knee/leg raise, straight bar dips, and muscle-up negatives.

That's all for now. Yes I can write a lot, I'm grateful to anyone who enjoys reading about my goals. I can't wait to check out all of your challenges too :)

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Vidd said:

The real goal will be to do my first Muscle-up.

Oooh, the ever-elusive Muscle Up.  I think many of us have been working on that one off and on over the years.  I was super close (and even managed to last a few freak ones) before the 'rona hit and now I am left without a bar on which I can do explosive movements.

I will definitely be following along for inspiration and in fact I already got some from your first post :)   Instead of just thinking that this one is off the table for now, I thought of ways I could be working towards it with what I have and decided to strap on my weight belt and do some weighted pullups.  

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

28 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oooh, the ever-elusive Muscle Up.  I think many of us have been working on that one off and on over the years.  I was super close (and even managed to last a few freak ones) before the 'rona hit and now I am left without a bar on which I can do explosive movements.

Gah, I know right? It's the worst. We should make a club for people who want to do a muscle-up, but can't quite yet, but it'll happen any week now guys. I feel like we need a support group.

1 hour ago, Vidd said:

The real goal will be to do my first Muscle-up. I've used this metaphor before with calisthenics movements I'm trying to learn but I envision a skill tree, where you need to level up lesser versions of the skill before finally getting to put points into that really cool ability. I've selected each of these goals carefully in hopes they will build up to that first ever Muscle Up. So let's get started!

This is somewhat speculative on my part, but I think the salmon ladder is probably a little easier than MUs, since you only need enough explosive energy to get your chest roughly level with the bar. But I've never looked into it. Regardless, MU is a worthy goal. I've done a bunch of research on working up to it myself, but haven't yet had much chance to put it into practice, so I'm curious to see your plan/program. Following!

• Like 2

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

Hey guys I really appreciate the support. This is going to be a lot of fun. I'm determined to reach the top of that bar. Week 0 is going to be me researching what other calisthenic experts have to say to help me develop my plan of action. I already feel like mentally I have a good battle plan on how I'm going to tackle this movement but this is going to really test me. To give you all an idea I have a resistance band that is said to produce 80lbs of resistance. I thought to use that to help me learn the movement and I -still- could not perform the movement. So this challenge is going to be me starting from a relatively low point, and progressing step by step.

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I will definitely be following along for inspiration and in fact I already got some from your first post :)   Instead of just thinking that this one is off the table for now, I thought of ways I could be working towards it with what I have and decided to strap on my weight belt and do some weighted pullups.  

That's awesome I'm glad my challenge can be of inspiration. I noticed back when I was in the gym, and I'd do weighted pull ups, after I'd take the weight belt off, and do them normally I'd absolutely fly up the bar even though my muscles were already fatigued. I think there is a ton of value in weighted pull ups if they're an option during this time. A bit off topic but I really like that exercise library in your signature, I'm just checking it out now and it's got a lot of my favorites in it, but a ton of new exercises I didn't even know about yet.

23 hours ago, PaulG said:

Gah, I know right? It's the worst. We should make a club for people who want to do a muscle-up, but can't quite yet, but it'll happen any week now guys. I feel like we need a support group.

This is somewhat speculative on my part, but I think the salmon ladder is probably a little easier than MUs, since you only need enough explosive energy to get your chest roughly level with the bar. But I've never looked into it. Regardless, MU is a worthy goal. I've done a bunch of research on working up to it myself, but haven't yet had much chance to put it into practice, so I'm curious to see your plan/program. Following!

Lol that's a cool idea. I bet there are a lot of people here wanting to get the muscle up down. It's one of the first moves I wanted to learn when I started down this calisthenics path. As for the salmon ladder I didn't think of it like that, but maybe you're right. Thanks for following I can't wait to see how this goes :) You sound pretty knowledgeable on this so I appreciate any pointers you may have along the way.

Welcome to the Assassins' Guild!

On 6/18/2020 at 7:18 AM, Vidd said:

I need to really watch this because I can very easily get into a sleep deficit.

That's a very good one, and it reminds me that I should look into it as well.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:18 AM, Vidd said:

Hanging Knee/leg raise

I'm a big fan of those. It's a really nice complex movement with lots of carry over in many areas (abs, lats, compression). And so many variations!

Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

19 minutes ago, Vidd said:

Lol that's a cool idea. I bet there are a lot of people here wanting to get the muscle up down. It's one of the first moves I wanted to learn when I started down this calisthenics path. As for the salmon ladder I didn't think of it like that, but maybe you're right. Thanks for following I can't wait to see how this goes :) You sound pretty knowledgeable on this so I appreciate any pointers you may have along the way.

I've wanted to do it for ages, and back in 2013-2014 I was approaching it... but I was kind of stupid about it and didn't listen to any of the more experienced people who were telling me to learn to do it kipping first. I thought I could just muscle through it if I got strong enough, which was a mistake. More recently I started learning the kip a little, but my shoulder injury is keeping me from practicing at the moment.

I've done lots of reading but I don't have a ton of practical skill. The only really practical lesson I've learned is: the MU is a complex skill on top of being an impressive strength exercise, so I should not have tried to avoid the kip. It saves a lot of heartache to allow yourself the assistance of the kip, so you can focus on learning the skill. As I understand it, once you learn to do the kipping MU, it's much easier to build your strength up to do full slow MUs.

That said, the best material I've found on it so far are these two articles:

https://www.globalbodyweighttraining.com/kipping-muscle-up-series/

https://www.urbanevo.com/training-blog/12-weeks-to-a-muscle-up/

I don't find the prescribed program in the second one totally compelling, but it's useful to compare with the other article, since they seem to share a lot of the same programming priorities.

I really just have those two articles and some notes on my own strength deficits, aside from that, once my shoulder heals I'll be making it up as I go along. Hopefully this is of some help as you decide what to focus on.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin

3 hours ago, Vidd said:

To give you all an idea I have a resistance band that is said to produce 80lbs of resistance. I thought to use that to help me learn the movement and I -still- could not perform the movement.

I think that is the band that I started using when I was doing this same thing.  At first I couldn't get any but it was ultimately a technique issue and not a strength issue.  Once I figured out the technique, I was using the heavy band until I could get 5 consecutive MUs and then move down to a lower band.  I was down to the red band and was getting 2-3 reps with that when the pandemic hit.  

3 hours ago, Vidd said:

A bit off topic but I really like that exercise library in your signature, I'm just checking it out now and it's got a lot of my favorites in it, but a ton of new exercises I didn't even know about yet.

It's been a while since I updated that.  I have a few new ones I could add but it will have to wait until the pandemic is over.

2 hours ago, PaulG said:

I was kind of stupid about it and didn't listen to any of the more experienced people who were telling me to learn to do it kipping first.

It's interesting that you say this because most of the experienced folks I was following all said to "skip the kip" and work on getting them clean.  I think I would have progressed faster if I had been doing a little bit of kip to assist the movement.

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 6/18/2020 at 1:18 AM, Vidd said:

Goal #2 Lifestyle-related: Sleep has been a theme in my battle log, and it's going to be one in this challenge as well, but this time I want to quantify it. I will aim for 56 hours of sleep per week. This averages out to 8 hours a day. The reason I am doing a weekly tally is life happens.

SLEEP IS THE MOST UNDERRATED THING! Good luck tackling this. 😃

On 6/18/2020 at 2:44 AM, PaulG said:

Hahah, please do. 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:44 AM, PaulG said:

This is somewhat speculative on my part, but I think the salmon ladder is probably a little easier than MUs, since you only need enough explosive energy to get your chest roughly level with the bar. But I've never looked into it. 

Salmon ladder is much easier than a MU if you know how to create explosive energy. The bar moves with your hands, so there is a bit more of a throwing element too, if that makes sense. I would say most people who can do a couple pull-ups and know how to swing can advance on the salmon ladder. You just need to generate the power with a swing + throw to get to the next rung. Plus, you don't need to get any turn-over to get to the top of the bar, which is the hardest part of MUs! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

8 hours ago, PaulG said:

the MU is a complex skill

8 hours ago, PaulG said:

kipping MU

8 hours ago, PaulG said:

slow MUs

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

5 consecutive MUs

5 minutes ago, raptron said:

Salmon ladder is much easier than a MU

5 minutes ago, raptron said:

the hardest part of MUs! 

Guys, there is only one MU and it's me :tyrannosaurus: Of course I'm harder to get than a ladder of salmons!

*runs to the door* :onthego:  :D 

• Haha 4

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

It's interesting that you say this because most of the experienced folks I was following all said to "skip the kip" and work on getting them clean.  I think I would have progressed faster if I had been doing a little bit of kip to assist the movement.

Interesting! I’d be curious to see their reasoning. I think the main reason I heard not to avoid the kip so much was for the sake of skill acquisition, since the transition is both the most complicated movement and the hardest to practice (since the usual way you start practice is by doing it slowly, and almost no one is strong enough to do them slowly when they first start).

Also because a lot of people have spun their wheels trying to practice via MU negatives. But MU negatives aren’t much use until you’re strong enough to control the transition, IMO.

I’ll bet some of that context changes when you have bands, since you can actually practice the concentric part of the transition if you have enough assistance. I will probably still go the kipping route myself, since I have a feeling that I would need a LOT of different-weighted bands to progress well, meaning plenty of $$$ that I’m too cheap to shell out.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin

Hey all, A lot of really good discussion here. So the muscleup I will be learning will not be fully strict. This is why I'm identifying the hanging knee and leg raise as a component movement.

How I plan to do the movement is I will actually jump towards the bar to give me a swing then the moment my body ceases moving forward I will simultaneously perform the strongest L-sit i can manage while also pulling up as hard as I can. If all goes as planned and i get enough air time I will quickly row myself to the bar because at that point the movement becomes a horizontal pull...

Its actually crazy how many moving parts this movement has that all need to be timed on point. I can't even do a good L-sit due to flexibility issues so this is going to be knees or bent legs early on.

Anyway im super excited to have all of you along for this journey. I'm gonna need the support because this is one of those movements that can't be done halfway. You can do a squat even if it might not look pretty at first. But for the MU either you're on top of the bar or you're under it and so I need to keep the fire alive despite not having as much signs of visible progress. But its gonna be glorious once I finally reach the top :D

I'll give those articles a read, thanks Paul!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PaulG said:

I’d be curious to see their reasoning.

The reasoning was just that working n kipping built up a lot of bad habits in muscle memory that are harder to fix than people expect.  The logic was that if you want to be able to do strict muscle ups, you would be better off taking longer to get there and avoiding the kip than getting there faster with kips but having bad form that you would need to spend even more time correcting.

38 minutes ago, Vidd said:

I will simultaneously perform the strongest L-sit i can manage while also pulling up as hard as I can

I find there is a very small time gap between the leg pull and the arm pull, and the margin of error is super tiny.  Working on the timing with a band has been extremely helpful for me.

Level 2 Ninja

How's it going everyone? I hope all of you had a good day 1 of your new challenges.

Today was extremely busy. I celebrated a close friends birthday and then a long zoom call with my family for father's day.

As a result I had only 30 min to work out and am quickly typing this up during the zoom call before bed. I normally do full body but I only had time to hit my pull muscles.

Muscleup attempts 10 min

Speed pull ups 5, 5, 5 reps

Pull ups 6 reps

Chin ups 12, 10, 8 reps

Band bicep curls 15 reps restpause 5,5,5,5,5 reps

Notes on workout: a lot of experimentation today. I'll go more in depth tomorrow early work day tomorrow kinda just checking in so you all know I'm at it :D

• Like 2
On 6/20/2020 at 1:00 AM, Vidd said:

Hey all, A lot of really good discussion here. So the muscleup I will be learning will not be fully strict. This is why I'm identifying the hanging knee and leg raise as a component movement.

How I plan to do the movement is I will actually jump towards the bar to give me a swing then the moment my body ceases moving forward I will simultaneously perform the strongest L-sit i can manage while also pulling up as hard as I can. If all goes as planned and i get enough air time I will quickly row myself to the bar because at that point the movement becomes a horizontal pull...

This sounds more like a bar kip? Unless I'm misreading.

CorruptValuableLemur-size_restricted.gif

On 6/20/2020 at 1:00 AM, Vidd said:

Anyway im super excited to have all of you along for this journey. I'm gonna need the support because this is one of those movements that can't be done halfway. You can do a squat even if it might not look pretty at first. But for the MU either you're on top of the bar or you're under it and so I need to keep the fire alive despite not having as much signs of visible progress. But its gonna be glorious once I finally reach the top :D

Hell yeah, it will be!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Hey Raptron, my muscle up is going to still be more of a strength move. In your gif she is performing a front lever into a V. My torso will be upright and then into an L-sit that won't cause my body to go beyond a 90 degree angle.

The tutorial I'm following currently is from a youtuber named Chris Heria. I'm trying his method and if it doesn't work for me I may try others. Maybe when I'm off work I'll find a good gif demo. Muscle ups are done so differently it can be hard to describe in words :)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, raptron said:

This sounds more like a bar kip? Unless I'm misreading.

I think the biggest difference is that in the bar kip the arms stay pretty much straight while in the kip MU, there is a pull to get the waist up close to the bar and then a press to get up once the transition has happened.  The physics for the transition itself are very similar, though, just different dynamics to generate the momentum. 

10 hours ago, Vidd said:

The tutorial I'm following currently is from a youtuber named Chris Heria.

I was following Thenx for a while as well, and got some good pointers from him.  I don't remember him using much kip though, just a bit of swing at the beginning to increase the shoulder elasticity for the launch.  His jam is all about strength and I remember him suggesting that it is better if you can work up to belly button height pullups before trying to go to the transition. Unless he has changed his program up, you probably aren't going to get great kipping advice from him. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Yeah the video I'm working with is How to Muscleup - The Best Way and it's his most recent on this subject. He really doesn't use a lot of kip. But I like it that way. I'm trying to strike a balance between strict, and kip. I want this to remain a strength movement that I can have in my arsenal to continuously train explosive strength. I'm unfortunately nowhere close to the belly button pullups I'm going to be working on consistently reaching chest level when I train explosive pullups.

Anyway here was the workout of the day:

Muscleup Training 10 min

Handstand Pushups 5, 3, 4 reps

Straight-bar Dips 8, 8, 8

Pistol Squats 8, 8 reps

Bulgarian Split Squats 15 reps

Tricep Extensions 3 sets

Notes on workout: 1. Muscleups look a lot better than previously but I'm lacking the explosive strength still to pop me far enough over the bar. It's only day 2 though I know I've got this :) 2. I missed a rep on the 2nd set but I wasn't feeling it and the consequences of failing the rep could be dire haha. 3. So the key with these is I found a bar low enough that in order for me to perform the dip with full range of motion, I had to lower myself into an L sit so my feet wouldn't hit the ground, and then lay my chest upon the bar when I'm all the way down. This simulates the muscleup perfectly, and I've found straight bar pressing out of the hole to be a weak point of mine so this will continue to be trained a lot. 4 & 5. Only two sets of these, I finished it off with some bulgarians. Pistols are intense and I know better than to take these to failure.

I've got something cool to show you all. Here is a clip of me practicing the muscleup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTvrkWDX-aM

So how this was broken down to me is I choose an area in front of me and I swing forward and imagine stomping on a dollar bill about to fly away, and the moment I feel that tug in my chest, then I pop up with an L-sit, and then use that momentum to help me get above the bar. Looking back at this video it almost looks like I have it if I only just pull harder, and looking at it again, it almost looks like I -could- have pulled harder. But I can assure you all I actually can't at this stage. I've done very heavy weighted pullups before, but I still can't explode up with my pullups. That's all for today I think I'm off to a good start on this. Tomorrow I'm going to rest up, do some walking, yoga, and abs, as well as some research :)

Edit: I got so excited about the muscleup portion of my log I forgot to add in my progress on the two other goals haha.

Sleep: 8 hours

Intermittent Fasting: ✅

The fasting isn't so bad. I just have to keep reminding myself I've got two big meals ahead of me if I can survive the morning. Caffeine is helping to blunt my appetite some. I hit my avg sleep goal so I'm off to a good start for the week. I'd like to hit 8.5-9hrs tonight so I can have a little wiggle room later on in the week if something comes up.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Vidd said:

Here is a clip of me practicing the muscleup:

Nice!  I notice that you are keeping your arms flexed for the initial swing, which seems like it could be good because you don't have to raise as high, but it actually eats into your explosiveness because you aren't able to take advantage of the elasticity of your lats as they fully extend.  Getting that full extension as you step on your dollar is going to give you more bank for that buck :)   

I have also found that for me I get higher if I have a slight (very slight) gap between the initial pull and the L-sit lift.  That way I can use my shoulders and lats to get the motion started and then use my compression move to accelerate.  When I try and do both the pull and the lift simultaneously I find that the they actually counteract each other and I stall out lower than I could have been with just the pull alone.   

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

7 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nice!  I notice that you are keeping your arms flexed for the initial swing, which seems like it could be good because you don't have to raise as high, but it actually eats into your explosiveness because you aren't able to take advantage of the elasticity of your lats as they fully extend.  Getting that full extension as you step on your dollar is going to give you more bank for that buck :)   

I have also found that for me I get higher if I have a slight (very slight) gap between the initial pull and the L-sit lift.  That way I can use my shoulders and lats to get the motion started and then use my compression move to accelerate.  When I try and do both the pull and the lift simultaneously I find that the they actually counteract each other and I stall out lower than I could have been with just the pull alone.   

I didn't even realize that about the straight vs flexed arm, but I went back and watched the video I'm learning from and they're definitely keeping it straight likely for the reasons you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip I'm going to try that out next resistance workout.

I think I did have a slight gap but in the wrong order. I'm pretty sure I was doing the L-sit, slightly before the pull... But my guess is I'm at my strongest pulling-wise, at the very bottom of the movement, so if I can generate enough explosive power out of the hole, the L-sit should hopefully propel me high enough over the bar. I'm pretty excited to see what these tweaks can do next time.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Vidd said:

I've got something cool to show you all. Here is a clip of me practicing the muscleup:

I noticed one other thing. @WhiteGhost is better with kip technique than I am, and hopefully he’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but you could also start working in the second half of the motion as you approach the bar, which is to swing your legs back a bit.

I’m pretty sure the legs perform two main movements in a kip:

1. kick up/forward: explosive hip flexion generates a swing backward that increases your pull height.

2. Then as you approach the bar, kick down/back: hip extension generates forward swing that pushes your chest from behind the bar to on top of it.

Right now you appear to be topping out without your chest ever actually hitting the bar, your chest stays several inches behind (from the camera’s perspective anyway, maybe you did touch your chest to the bar), because keeping your legs in that proto-L position is forcing your center of mass forward of where it should be. It’s also forcing your shoulders back so that you’re leaning back, away from the bar, when you want to be leaning forward. Get your legs back under you and you’ll be able to touch the bar to your chest; swing your legs backward And you’ll be able to start getting over the bar.

That first try looked like it got to mid-ab level, which is impressive. At that level, a swing backward would rotate your chest over the bar nicely.

• Like 1

Cowardly Assassin

10 hours ago, PaulG said:

I noticed one other thing. @WhiteGhost is better with kip technique than I am, and hopefully he’ll correct me if I’m wrong, but you could also start working in the second half of the motion as you approach the bar, which is to swing your legs back a bit.

This is what I was getting at when I suggested that the Thenx technique wouldn't have a lot of kip explanation.  Chris doesn't focus on any back swing at all in his explanations (unless he has added it in for his more recent stuff, but I doubt it) so what is being worked here are not true kipping MUs. It's basically the equivalent of bringing your knees up and kicking to get that last little bit of range at the top that you see when people are struggling with pullups.

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

On 6/23/2020 at 1:05 AM, Vidd said:

I didn't even realize that about the straight vs flexed arm, but I went back and watched the video I'm learning from and they're definitely keeping it straight likely for the reasons you've mentioned. Thanks for the tip I'm going to try that out next resistance workout.

I think I did have a slight gap but in the wrong order. I'm pretty sure I was doing the L-sit, slightly before the pull... But my guess is I'm at my strongest pulling-wise, at the very bottom of the movement, so if I can generate enough explosive power out of the hole, the L-sit should hopefully propel me high enough over the bar. I'm pretty excited to see what these tweaks can do next time.

Nice. Yeah, definitely.

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is what I was getting at when I suggested that the Thenx technique wouldn't have a lot of kip explanation.  Chris doesn't focus on any back swing at all in his explanations (unless he has added it in for his more recent stuff, but I doubt it) so what is being worked here are not true kipping MUs. It's basically the equivalent of bringing your knees up and kicking to get that last little bit of range at the top that you see when people are struggling with pullups.

HMM. 

So much technique going on, haha.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Yeah, this might be my downfall but I never planned to do a full kip. So I'm trying my best to be somewhere inbetween. Right now I'm in this experimental phase where I'm trying to find my groove with this movement, and what's tricky is experimentation is so costly, because I know I only have a few solid attempts in the tank before I lose my explosiveness. Today I absolutely beat myself up trying to do a muscleup and I already know I'll be sore tomorrow lol. I think there were a few takeaways from all of this.

First a note on technique. I'm thinking PaulG is on to something with dropping the L-sit at the top because what he is seeing is correct I am a ways from the bar. Chris Heria cautions if I drop the L-sit too soon I'll just 'drop' but what I think he is doing is rowing himself to the bar which may be some extra effort I shouldn't be starting with. So I think next time I'm going to try dropping the L-sit near the top and see if I end up closer to the bar, and possibly doing a bit of a kick down. Second thing is, my L-sit is still really weak and so I may try some explosive knee raises, that also will feel more natural when I release the knee raise into a kick down.

Before we get into the workout, quick update on other goals:

Sleep: 6/23/20 8 hours, 6/24/20 6.5 hours hot weather kept me up a night, and I used that an excuse to fall into a rabbithole on my phone with looking up various martial arts I want to learn when I really should be sleeping or at least staying on target and imagining myself succeeding at this dang muscleup :D I'll need to recoup these 1.5 hours sometime in the week. It's so easy to fall behind on this sleep requirement.

Intermittent Fasting: 6/23/20 ✅ , 6/24/20 ✅  Hunger nearly consumed me today, I really wanted to grab a snack but once I get through this rough patch of my body getting used to fasting, it'll get much better. This dietary portion of my challenge is extremely important as stripping 5lbs of resistance off my muscleup could make a world of difference.

Workout:

6/23/20 Active rest but I was lazier than usual. All I could manage was a walk but I got some movement in so that's a win.

6/24/20 Resistance Day

Muscleup Practice 20 min

Speed Pullups 5, 5 reps

Straight-bar Dips 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Hanging Leg Raises 10, 10, 6 reps

Archer Pushups 16, 14, 12 reps

Closegrip Pushups 16, 15, 12 reps

Bulgarian Split Squats 10, 10 reps

Notes on workout: I tried something new, in the video I was trying to do the muscleup one after another, but this time I only did one attempt, every minute. But after 20-25 attempts my body actually felt beat up and not in a good way. I think I need to reevaluate how I'm approaching this and maybe give myself just 4 or 5 tries a workout, and then move on to a normal workout. As you can see the entire rest of the workout was pretty push heavy due to the fatigue. I -did- get to a place where I felt like I was on top of the bar but i collapsed so soon because I was still an inch or two away from the bar giving me poor leverage to dip myself to the top, and also I still think I have some weakness out of the hole, in the straight bar dip. I did implement what Whiteghost said about using a slight delay between the pull and the compression, and I think it helped but I still need to get the timing down.

But yeah something about this move, it feels like you're so close, and that all it takes is one more try. I remember walking away from the bar thinking I should go back but try it barefoot because maybe my lifting shoes are weighing me down, before realizing how silly I'd gotten. Next thing you know I'd be trying to muscleup in a speedo so as to remain as light as possible 🤣 Let's hope I don't reach that point. I'll be back tomorrow with another update

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Vidd said:

maybe give myself just 4 or 5 tries a workout,

This is what I typically do.  I will do 5 attempts (with a pause in between) once I am warmed up but still fresh.  After that I just do various easier progression work or other stuff (like levers)

Level 2 Ninja

11 hours ago, Vidd said:

But after 20-25 attempts my body actually felt beat up and not in a good way. I think I need to reevaluate how I'm approaching this and maybe give myself just 4 or 5 tries a workout, and then move on to a normal workout.

Yeaaah, that is a lot of attempts. Keep in mind that this is both skill work and strength work. I'd pick your number of attempts you want to do in advance, take quality rest between them, and really GO when you do attempt them. Probably keep it under 10 for both your sanity and your body's sake.

11 hours ago, Vidd said:

Next thing you know I'd be trying to muscleup in a speedo so as to remain as light as possible 🤣 

🤣I meannnn, calisthenics guys and male gymnasts basically just wear tiny shorts so. Maybe that's their secret.

Raptron, alot assassin