Anim Lurks for a While

Anim07734

I've been on hiatus for the past couple challenges while I de-stressed and now I'm ready to come back to this awesome community.  The only problem is that I still have no plan.  So I think I'm going to lurk for a bit while I continue working on getting my life back in order.  Expect cosplay pictures, because I don't have much else to do while teleworking and eventually there will be conventions again.

Goals are going to be super undefined for now:

-quit eating when I'm not hungry

-actually move around regularly

-finish the f&@%ing bathroom

And cosplays currently in progress, for the record:

-Little Witch and Wizard

-Diddy Kong for Mad Max: Rainbow Road group

-Dragonman Warrior and Fox Huntress

-Next iteration of Nightcrawler and Psylocke

-Update/finish Aragon and Arwen

• Like 3

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

7 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

finish the f&@%ing bathroom

You have a bathroom just for that?

I mean, following.

• Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Quiet, respectful "eeeeee!" Welcome back, glad to hear things are better for you. 

How are your turtles doing?

Speedy's doing well.  She turned 2 last month and got some strawberry as a treat.

IMG_20200531_161545914
2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You have a bathroom just for that?

I mean, following.

I wish ... I mean, uh, I didn't say anything. :P

To expand on that, with us both stuck at home, my fiancee finally got tired of having both bathrooms halfway remodeled and made me start working on them again. The shower in my master bath has been pretty much unusable since I bought the house, due to its outdated design and old/poor grout.  We also both hated the cheap door and poorly installed support bars.  So after finishing the skylights and painting, I started on the shower itself.  And like most of my projects it snowballed from there.  I got the shower door out to realize that it had also been installed wrong and spent 2 weeks trying to get the silicone off the tile (mostly succeeded, but there's still some there).  It was also hiding damaged tile from (I assume) improper removal of the original shower door.  Then I started scraping out all the damaged grout.  Tile is supposed to have 1/8in spacing for grout; about half of this shower has gaps that are snug for a razor blade.  That slowed things down even more than scraping grout normally is.  I finally finished that and started repairing the damaged tiles.  That process uses a 2-part ceramic, and because the damage is on the wall, my second coat just ran down instead of staying in place.  So instead of getting that done in a day, I now have to wait 24hrs between coats for it to dry, sand and clean the area, then mix a new batch and apply the next layer (I need at least 2 more).  Once that's done, I'm going to caulk all the spots I scraped grout (the wrong solution, but a cheap DIY that will last a few years until I can pay someone to do it right), and the seams (which should have been caulk originally).  Then I just have to put in the new shower head, drain, and curtain, and whatever finishing touches the fiancee has found.  The biggest problem is that I only seem to remember it needs to be done when I don't have the time or energy to work on it.  But I'm now worried that the seams in the hall shower are getting ready to fail (they look worse every week), so I need to get the master bath done so we'll still have a working shower while I do all this again.  Thus profanity. x_x

But I actually logged on to post cosplay progress, so I have a starting point for the challenge:

Diddy's diesel punk jetpack (its actually been sealed and given a first coat of paint at this point):

IMG_20200525_232743305

Field plate armor (awaiting detailing):

IMG_20200611_155320529

IMG_20200618_221732398

I also have bracers done.  And have been working with the new foam chainmail to make sleeves and a skirt to use with this and Aragon.

IMG_20200609_203930296

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Dude, so jealous. Your cosplay stuff is always amazing. That jetpack is so well done, and definitely looking forward to seeing the other pieces as they progress. How do you like the foam chainmail? I saw it on, I think, Mythbusters and it looks awesome but alas, doesn't come in scalemail. 

Oof on the bathroom. Snowballing projects due to previous peoples' messups is no fun. 

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

7 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

But I actually logged on to post cosplay progress

Those are looking sweet!

• Thanks 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Dude, so jealous. Your cosplay stuff is always amazing. That jetpack is so well done, and definitely looking forward to seeing the other pieces as they progress. How do you like the foam chainmail? I saw it on, I think, Mythbusters and it looks awesome but alas, doesn't come in scalemail. 

Adam Savage did a review on his Tested channel, so that's probably where you saw it.  Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.  My only real complaint is that it's so new, no one has patterns and the only examples online are "I made a sheet and glued it over something."  So after 6(?) attempts at making a shoulder and sleeve I liked, I started taking so I can make a tutorial myself (also on my to-do list).

After walking around all day in 20lb of metal chainmail for Aragon, I'm really looking forward to trying this out.

The designer mentions a couple options for scalemail on his youtube channel, but I don't think he's finalized a design he likes enough to try selling.  Also, I used 30-sheets to make two elbow length sleeves and a skirt that goes from my waist to lower mid-thigh, which comes out to $100 after shipping.  Foam scale mail will need 2-3 times as many sheets to cover the same area.  For a cheaper foam scalemail option, I'd probably try cutting the scales from foam or worbla and gluing or sewing them to an undershirt.  With the right scale design, you can eliminate waste to save money.  It's not going to look as good as your real metal scalemail though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

The designer mentions a couple options for scalemail on his youtube channel, but I don't think he's finalized a design he likes enough to try selling.  Also, I used 30-sheets to make two elbow length sleeves and a skirt that goes from my waist to lower mid-thigh, which comes out to $100 after shipping.  Foam scale mail will need 2-3 times as many sheets to cover the same area.  For a cheaper foam scalemail option, I'd probably try cutting the scales from foam or worbla and gluing or sewing them to an undershirt.  With the right scale design, you can eliminate waste to save money.  It's not going to look as good as your real metal scalemail though.

Oof, ow. Didn't realize it was quite so expensive. Definitely hear you on walking around in heavy metal though. The scale mail for Valkyrie is minimal enough (and I bought aluminum supplies) that I don't think it'll be too bad. The wings might be though. Still, after wearing 20lbs of metal, no doubt the price is worth it. 

SO are you going to be the foammail guru in the future? :) Boo to no patterns yet. 

• Like 1

ALL THE COSPLAY

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Oof, ow. Didn't realize it was quite so expensive. Definitely hear you on walking around in heavy metal though. The scale mail for Valkyrie is minimal enough (and I bought aluminum supplies) that I don't think it'll be too bad. The wings might be though. Still, after wearing 20lbs of metal, no doubt the price is worth it. 

Well, for comparison, the cheapest chain shirt I could find was $60 on Amazon.  Rings started coming undone the first time I tried it on, and it weighs 20lb, which is a respectable rucking weight for the day long hike that is a con.  When I looked into professional aluminum options, just getting the sleeves and skirt was going to run me $6-800 and a full shirt was easily over $1k.  So $100 for a piece I already plan to use for multiple costumes and can wear comfortably for a full day, it pretty reasonable.  Though if I knew how to knit, I might have tried the old school movie method of making a very loose knit sweater from thick, grey yarn.  I haven't compared yarn prices though, decent yarn might be just as expensive at this point.

I honestly don't consider myself a guru with any of my cosplay materials; I skip around too much to ever master any of them.  I've just failed a lot and don't mind sharing what went wrong and how I eventually fixed it. :P

• Haha 1

I was about to say there is metallic yarn (which is more pricey than regular yarn). I've worked with it before - looks cool as long as you don't accidentally nick it since the shiny metallic looking stuff is only on the outside and the inside is black. I'd say go with crochet rather than knitting (I find increases and decreases, which you need for shaping, more straightforward on crochet than knitting) but I'm definitely biased. 😉

On the other hand, you could *ahem* commission someone who, ah, *ahem* knows how to do that to make it for you. *ahem* *puts on facemask*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

Well, for comparison, the cheapest chain shirt I could find was $60 on Amazon.  Rings started coming undone the first time I tried it on, and it weighs 20lb, which is a respectable rucking weight for the day long hike that is a con.  When I looked into professional aluminum options, just getting the sleeves and skirt was going to run me $6-800 and a full shirt was easily over $1k.  So $100 for a piece I already plan to use for multiple costumes and can wear comfortably for a full day, it pretty reasonable.  Though if I knew how to knit, I might have tried the old school movie method of making a very loose knit sweater from thick, grey yarn.  I haven't compared yarn prices though, decent yarn might be just as expensive at this point.

Ah, good point. For some reason, I rarely consider buying things ready-made; I just figure I'll have to make it myself and look for materials. But yeah, if it's comfy and multi-use, then very worth the cost.

I honestly don't consider myself a guru with any of my cosplay materials; I skip around too much to ever master any of them.  I've just failed a lot and don't mind sharing what went wrong and how I eventually fixed it. :P

Hahahahaha, 100% understand. You do make some freaking amazing stuff tho... don't have to be a guru to figure things out and make 'em up to your own standards. 

Somewhat on that note... the gentleman wants (me) to make his own mask, along the lines of Deadpool, for his cosplay. He's running into a wall on fabric, though. Any insights on full-head mask fabric? 

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Somewhat on that note... the gentleman wants (me) to make his own mask, along the lines of Deadpool, for his cosplay. He's running into a wall on fabric, though. Any insights on full-head mask fabric? 

The only full face mask I've done so far was for the Question, so I just got a skin tone mask like this and wore it over a cheap spiderman mask to hide my features.  A friend who invested in a good Spiderman costume found a kit online for his mask.  It included a face shell to get the shape, a lycra/spandex mask, and the eye lenses with magnets, so they can be removed when walking around.

Assuming this is for his Backlash, I'd price out buying two masks and splicing them together versus buying two colors of spandex and making your own.  When I made my Kid Flash costume, two full dancesuits were significantly cheaper than the fabric to make one (and a lot less work).  When I made my brother's Grifter mask, I had good results gluing the fabric to a cheap half face mardi gras style mask so the folds fell right.  That would also give you something to start from, if you want to try building in lenses for his special glasses.

• Like 1

The only full face mask I've done so far was for the Question, so I just got a skin tone mask like this and wore it over a cheap spiderman mask to hide my features.  A friend who invested in a good Spiderman costume found a kit online for his mask.  It included a face shell to get the shape, a lycra/spandex mask, and the eye lenses with magnets, so they can be removed when walking around.

Assuming this is for his Backlash, I'd price out buying two masks and splicing them together versus buying two colors of spandex and making your own.  When I made my Kid Flash costume, two full dancesuits were significantly cheaper than the fabric to make one (and a lot less work).  When I made my brother's Grifter mask, I had good results gluing the fabric to a cheap half face mardi gras style mask so the folds fell right.  That would also give you something to start from, if you want to try building in lenses for his special glasses.

You're correct, it's for Backlash. He's already got a mask of sorts for the front, complete with special lenses (see below). He wants to make a headsock for the rest of the head. He tried buying a mask like the one you linked but he doesn't like the non-fitted "turkey neck" look. I found a pattern for a fitted one with a velcro back closure like in the Deadpool movie, just a but stumped on fabric. Spandex seems a bit light, but not really finding anything heavier but still breathable. 

Edit: all that, and I forgot the photo. I stole the mask and took a pic while working one day... it does not fit me. :)

hDrTTQ2.jpg

• Like 1

I did something similar for my Kid Flash mask, making the front out of foam and worbla and the back out of spandex.  I used the hood from a zentai suit as the base, so there was a zipper on the back so the front could be fitted better.  If your pattern has a seam on the back, you can replace it with a zipper to do the same thing.

IMAG0094

For fabric, look through the sportswear section at Joann's.  I can normally find a heavy spandex (feels like a women's swimsuit material) in the color I want.  That's what I've been using for my more recent superhero suits.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

For fabric, look through the sportswear section at Joann's.  I can normally find a heavy spandex (feels like a women's swimsuit material) in the color I want.  That's what I've been using for my more recent superhero suits.

Cool beans. Once it's safe to do so, we will wander that way. Will try your suggestion of popping open the back seam on the purchased ones in the meantime. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

So I need to vent a little, don't feel the need to read if you don't want more stress about the current COVID situation.

Spoiler

Senior Co-worker:

https://technocracy.news/the-miserable-pseudo-science-behind-face-masks-social-distancing-and-contact-tracing/?fbclid=IwAR2r1-Xw83GWm3veEHX45EUTD9v5huOAavXf_HoGaP4yoYsG37v0JgX8Zec

Senior Co-worker:

Fact: wearing a face mask can have deleterious effects to many people. One reason is your lungs are not designed to have added resistance while trying to breath. The longer you wear it the worse it is for you.

FB Person1:

Correct --- the diaphragm is a rather frail muscle. Practice deep breath exercises and strengthen the diaphragm and related intercostal muscles and you will survive.

FB Person2:

Especially for those of us having a lung condition.

FB Person1:

The contact tracing the Gates is set to make billions on.

FB Person3:

---, you seem to think facts and truth matter.

Senior Co-worker:

maybe only to me. The amount of deceit and subterfuge on FB and the WEB is astounding.

Me

Your source is "An anti-technology website that has repeatedly promoted false claims,

including in stories about the debunked link between vaccines and

autism and the virus that causes COVID-19." It also "severely violates basic journalistic standards."

https://www.newsguardtech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/technocracy-1.pdf

Senior Co-worker:

your opinion

Senior Co-worker:

you mean like the ones that define truth on FB?

Me

I'm confused how independent research, fact checking, and verification of sources is an opinion. I always thought it was a requirement before something could be declared a fact.

Senior Co-worker:

If a news station publishes one false thing do you reject everything else they ever say?

If a person has a good argument but you think most of their opinions are wrong do you immediately reject their argument "just because"?

Show me the scientific refutation of the salient points in the article I posted.

Otherwise, it's opinion.

But if you disagree with his points, no problem.

I happen to predominantly agree with the case he makes.

Me

If a news station prints one false article, I expect them to retract it and publish the truth.  If a news station develops a reputation for regularly printing falsehoods, or handpicking their articles to support their pre-determined ideas, I quit going to them for news.

If an individual prefers unsupported opinion to rational analysis, I won't associate with them long enough to know they had a rare "good argument."

But sure, I'll go through his "points:"

1.  OSHA says cloth face masks won't protect the wearer, then "furiously backpedals" saying that individuals should wear face masks to protect others in case they are unknowingly infected.

- How is this backpedaling?  Neither statement refutes the other.  The recommendation to wear masks is to protect others, not yourself.

https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/how-simple-face-coverings-protect-against-covid-19/

- Mask recommendations have changed as we learn more about COVID-19:  https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/10/829890635/why-there-so-many-different-guidelines-for-face-masks-for-the-public

2.  Dr. Kerkhove, the WHO's head of emerging diseases, made a statement, then retracted it; there must be a conspiracy to enforce a pre-determined narrative.

-How is a global conspiracy the obvious explanation?  What other evidence is there for such a claim?  This article doesn't present any.

-In her retraction interview, Dr. Kerkhove states “I was responding to a question at the press conference. I wasn’t stating a policy of WHO or anything like that. I was just trying to articulate what we know.”  Meaning she misspoke while trying to clarify a previous point.  During the initial announcement, she also says more research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

3.  Dr. Russell Blaylock is highly-respected and claims masks are useless.

-According to the articles I found, Dr. Blaylock is a former neurosurgeon who retired to sell books supporting pseudo-science conspiracy theories like the anti-vaxx movement.

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/controversial-science-health-news-supplements/seems-neurosurgeons-are-not-immune-neuroses

https://theoutline.com/post/1183/the-quack-behind-the-msg-scare-is-still-stoking-fear-for-profit?zd=1&zi=4ivlnf35

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/glp-facts/russell-blaylock/

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/09/22/when-stethoscope-doesnt-mean-integrity-11861

4. Masks make it harder to breathe.

-The only evidence presented in this article is anecdotal at best.

-Snopes has a good collection of the evidence for and against this claim, concluding: 

What's True - Breathing in excessive carbon dioxide is dangerous for the body. Some people with preexisting respiratory illnesses may face health issues only with prolonged use of tight-fitting masks, such as respirators.

What's False - However, people wearing cloth or surgical masks are in little to no danger of breathing in unhealthy amounts of carbon dioxide.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/masks-dangerous-health/

5. Social Distancing is ineffective and must be designed to interfere with the economy and cause mental health issues.

-Again, how is a global conspiracy the obvious explanation?  Is there any other evidence for this claim?  If so, why doesn't he present it?

-The article linked as evidence is from The Telegraph, a UK-based news site with a known right bias and a factual reporting rating of "mixed."  (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-telegraph/)  Not trusting this source, I looked up the authors, who work for University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine.  The CEBM specializes in meta-analysis of medical studies, compiling the data to look for overarching trends and conclusions.  They have 3 such studies related to social distancing published on their site.

--On 19Mar2020, they conclude: "Although limited, the best available evidence appears to support social distancing measures as a means of reducing transmission and delaying spread.  Staggered and cumulative implementation of these interventions may prove most effective.  The timing and duration of such measures is critical." https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-is-the-evidence-for-social-distancing-during-global-pandemics/

--On 21Apr2020, a separate study focused on asymptomatic healthcare workers social distancing from family members found that there are no existing studies to draw conclusions from.  They recommended asymptomatic workers "be cautious of this step given the increased risk of isolation and anxiety it may bring" while taking measures "such as hand hygiene both at home and on return from work and using correct personal protective equipment at work, where available." https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/are-interventions-such-as-social-distancing-effective-at-reducing-the-risk-of-asymptomatic-healthcare-workers-transmitting-covid-19-infection-to-other-household-members/

--On 22Jun2020 (one week after the Telegraph article), a study concluded "A one-size-fits-all 2-metre social distancing rule is not consistent with the underlying science of exhalations and indoor air."  "Smaller airborne droplets laden with SARS-CoV-2 may spread up to 8 metres concentrated in exhaled air from infected individuals, even without background ventilation or airflow. Whilst there is limited direct evidence that live SARS-CoV-2 is significantly spread via this route, there is no direct evidence that it is not spread this way."  And "The risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission falls as physical distance between people increases, so relaxing the 2-metre rule, particularly for indoor settings, might therefore risk an increase in infection rates. In some settings, even 2 metres may be too close." https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-is-the-evidence-to-support-the-2-metre-social-distancing-rule-to-reduce-covid-19-transmission/

So contrary to the technocracy.news claim, the CEBM is recommending that the 6-foot/2-meter rule be reviewed to ensure it doesn't need to be larger.

6.  Contact tracing is useless at this time in COVID-19's spread and only being used to control people.

-Once again, where is the evidence for a global conspiracy?  Why is that the default explanation?

-The article first claims "Every credible expert on contact tracing says that it is effective only up to the point of mass distribution."  Where are these experts?  Why can't he quote one or link an article, if its so widely accepted?

--A 2006 article from PLoS ONE and saved on the US National Library of Medicine website, "The Effectiveness of Contact Tracing in Emerging Epidemics," concludes "tracing effectiveness need not be sensitive to the duration of the latent period and tracing delays."  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1762362/

-The article's second claim is that social distancing was proven ineffective previously.  This claim was refuted in #5 above.

In conclusion, just because you agree with something doesn't mean its true.  It still needs verification before being presented as a "fact."  

This article is another example of technocracy.news misrepresenting or fabricating "evidence" to support a predetermined conclusion while using a medley of logical fallacies to confuse the reader.  https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/

Senior Co-worker:

yeah well, I asked for scientific refutation. There is a wide gulf between a paper and proof. After all, it's not uncommon for the experts to toally change what their advice is by 180 degrees. But apparently people think they don't make mistakes anymore. Ha.

Me

So you're requiring repeated scientific refutation of anecdotal evidence presented by an author of questionable (at best) reputation? Just trying to be clear on the standard.

Senior Co-worker:

by your own words your expertise does not cross over. Therefore your assesment of the veracity of what someone says is no better than mine. So what it boils down is you have your opinion and I have mine. That's fine. We don't have to agree on everything. The reputation of people in the scientific community is not proof of anything. There are hundreds of examples throughout history (both long ago and recently) where scientists were dismissed as kooks and later vindicated sometimes after their deaths. You know what happens when you get gov't involved? You get a scientist who claims the earth is not the center of the solar system and he gets jailed for saying the truth.

So if someone's argument is logical and higher ups try to silence that person I don't folow blindly.

So you have your opinion of who is right and I have mine.

I can still respect your opinion.

The same higher ups who say healthy people need to wear masks because of one drop of airborne spittle also say that cheap cloth masks work. More spittle comes throuh a cheap cloth mask than from the lips of a healthy person speaking. That's common sense. I have worn buffs for years fishing. When you sneeze and have your hand out it gets covered in spittle with the buff (mask) on.

Healthy people shouldn't wear masks. If you're not coughing or sneezing you're not a threat.

Sick people should stay home.

Common sense.

Senior Co-worker:

Healthy ppl should either wear a mask or not and everyone should leave them alone to do as they please in that regard.

Me

At what point in this debate have I drawn on my own experience or expertise?

I have repeatedly quoted and linked medical professionals to support my stance. You counter by claiming that it's only an opinion, after previously claiming your stance is "fact" because you linked an article written by a professional author with a history of fabricating news to suit himself.

You also continue to misrepresent the current government guidance. No one has said sick people are safe to go out with a mask. No one has claimed a cloth mask prevents a symptomatic person from spreading COVID. But these strawman claims are easy to disprove and distract from the actual discussion.

So either address the actual claims you oppose, while presenting the same scientific proof for your claims as you're demanding of mine, or quit spreading your "opinions" as fact.

Spoiler

Senior Co-worker:

"The present paper about masks illustrates the degree to which governments, the mainstream media, and institutional propagandists can decide to operate in a science vacuum, or select only incomplete science that serves their interests. Such recklessness is also certainly the case with the current global lockdown of over 1 billion people, an unprecedented experiment in medical and political history."

https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/masks-dont-work-covid-a-review-of-science-relevant-to-covide-19-social-policy?fbclid=IwAR1P2_z8kj57n8f51LhybhwXC5E9MDDtX45PSC24HnR62jysLIWvNzovqKI

Me

So first off, Denis G Rancourt is a physicist. As you know, scientific specialties rarely transfer, and there's little crossover between physics and epidemiology.

Second, every study listed assumes the mask is to prevent infection of the wearer. This doesn't match the current recommendations, which are to wear masks to prevent potential spread from the wearer. There are studies that support this claim.

https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.org/how-simple-face-coverings-protect-against-covid-19/

Senior Co-worker:

your first statement is not fact but an opinion. You impugn him instead of addressing his argument.

We can agree to disagree.

Senior Co-worker:

You know why the guidance is "wear a mask" with absolutely no discussion about mask efficacy vs mask type? Because it's not about facts and it's not about health.

If you wear one of those light cloth masks with no filter, I'm sorry but common sense tells you they are ineffective.

If you don't agree that they are ineffective then let's just agree to disagree.

Me

How is someone's published career history an opinion? How is recognizing his expertise, and stating it's outside the current area of discussion impugning on him?

Second, did you actually read the article I linked? Because it's an interview with Steven Gordon, MD, Chairman of Cleveland Clinic’s Department of Infectious Disease, and Raed Dweik, MD, Chairman of Cleveland Clinic’s Respiratory Institute, discussing the effectiveness of cloth masks.

This isn't an "agree to disagree" situation. We're each presenting evidence for our stance, but while I read your articles and provide counterpoints, mine get dismissed as "opinion" because they disagree with your predetermined conclusions.

Senior Co-worker:

seriously? See Galileo. He got thrown in jail. It is absolutely no different today. I've seen many ppl in gov't work silenced.

Senior Co-worker:

Absolutely no different!!

Me

So we're comparing a physicist making medical claims to counter an argument that hasn't been made by his opposition to an astronomer performing decades of astronomical observations and publishing his results even though they run counter to previous knowledge? And claiming they're exactly the same? Can you please provide references for this claim?

The worst part is this isn't the first friend/co-worker I've challenged for making outlandish claims.  Everyone else has reviewed the info and removed their claims.  This guy uses "fact" and "opinion" interchangeably, as it suits his argument, and thinks that quality of sources and validity of claims is "a matter of opinion" and we should just "agree to disagree."

Not gonna lie, the debate is kind of exhilarating, but equally frustrating.  I have to read his claims and find articles countering them, while he just calls out "your opinion" and at best makes some anecdotal counter to a strawman argument.  But at this point, I'm invested until he blocks me or quits making such asinine claims.

• Sad 1
  • That's Metal 1

Not gonna lie, the debate is kind of exhilarating, but equally frustrating.  I have to read his claims and find articles countering them, while he just calls out "your opinion" and at best makes some anecdotal counter to a strawman argument.

Lol, this is thrilling. It’s pretty obvious who is thinking more critically between the two of you. I’m sure most people give up eventually when he directs the argument along the lines he has been directing you. I’m sure that as a result he’s very proud of the fact that “no one’s proved him wrong.”

You did give a lot of ground to him rhetorically when he suddenly changed the standard for you to meet from “scientific refutation” to “infinitely high wall of 100% proof, unassailable by any rhetoric“, but you didn’t call him out on it. He’s actually in quite a crappy position, you just haven’t pointed it out. You’ve provided quite a bit of evidence that shows his chosen sources of info are very unlikely to be true; meanwhile, he’s tying himself in rhetorical knots to be able to say you haven’t proven him 100% wrong yet.

• Thanks 1

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

No amount of evidence can overcome the confirmation bias of a conspiracy theorist.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

No amount of evidence can overcome the confirmation bias of a conspiracy theorist.

I would expand that to say that no amount of evidence can overcome the confirmation bias or anyone who is not open to seriously reexamining their own preexisting conclusions.  In other words, "a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still" 

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

Well, I'm sad to say the saga ends early.  Co-worker made a new post with a new variation on the "masks are useless" claim, then spent the night filling the comments with things like "I'm just waiting on the independent fact checkers to try censoring me" and calling out the "sheeple" who believe the "liberal media."  So you were right, he's beyond convincing, and not worth my time.  So here's my last reply to him:

"I'm sad to see this. I was hoping to have another informed debate where we could share sources and weigh the evidence on either side. But apparently that makes me a "liberal sheeple," so I'll save us both some time and let you get back to your echo chamber."

The part that makes me most sad though: one of his other friends (I don't know her, she was replying to one of his face mask posts) announced that her family just tested positive for COVID and she doesn't know what to do.  He replied with a "thoughts and prayers" style statement, then continued advocating against recommended safety measures.

I'm working on costumes this weekend, so hopefully my next update will be better.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, Anim07734 said:

Well, I'm sad to say the saga ends early.  Co-worker made a new post with a new variation on the "masks are useless" claim, then spent the night filling the comments with things like "I'm just waiting on the independent fact checkers to try censoring me" and calling out the "sheeple" who believe the "liberal media."  So you were right, he's beyond convincing, and not worth my time.  So here's my last reply to him:

"I'm sad to see this. I was hoping to have another informed debate where we could share sources and weigh the evidence on either side. But apparently that makes me a "liberal sheeple," so I'll save us both some time and let you get back to your echo chamber."

Sigh. Sorry things ended that way. Having a disagreement between two people who are willing to read, research, and revise their opinions is fun. Disagreeing with someone with an unbendable confirmation bias and who moves the goalposts is infuriating and exhausting. My mother is one of those, and I just don't engage with her, then watch my little sister drive herself into a rage trying to point out what should be basic scientific facts, so I feel your pain. Hopefully it doens't affect your work situation. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:24 AM, Anim07734 said:

I'm working on costumes this weekend, so hopefully my next update will be better.

Eeeee!

• Thanks 1

Didn't get as much costuming done as I hoped this week, but I'm pretty happy with what I did do:

IMG_20200704_234250801

These are my finished cuisse.  My plan is to paint the front as steel and the back as leather, then paint the middle strip black and add leather lacing so it doesn't look like a pull on piece (because you can't do that with actual armor).

IMG_20200704_234214637

This is for my left bicep, planned as leather reinforced with a steel band and will lace up the inner arm over my foam chainmail.

I've also started the detailing on the greaves and sabatons and just need to decide how I want to make the fake buckles.

• Like 2