Raptron's Back Back Back Again

raptron

dZAajVr.gif

As you guys have noticed, I just kind of coast on through challenges by picking things that I'm already doing and basically blogging about my day to you guys. That's not changing now! I do have some tasks that I haven't been doing such a good job at nestled in here. To help remind myself that they ARE a priority because I am identifying them as such, so just DO THEM, DANG IT.

Lift 

• Lift 3-4x per week, weather and schedule depending

Cardioooo 

• ACTUALLY RIDE YOUR NEW BIKE!
    • Buy a helmet
    • Buy a lock
  • Jog, hike, bike, long (2+ hour) walk, or hiit workout 2x per week

Pull power

• Chin ups and pull-ups at least 2x per week

Handstand practice

• Handstand play frequently (no measure for this)
  • Actual, structured practice WITH drills 2x per week

Flex

• Splits and bridge work AT LEAST 1x per week, please, girl, come on.

Because it's still Pride month during a tumultuous time in the United States (and worldwide), and you know what, it's relevant now (and always). I'm bi as hell, Black lives not only matter but are essential, and our trans siblings need our allyship and help. I'm trying to do my best by donating to charities and bail funds, protesting in the streets, writing my representatives, educating myself, and working hard to tamper down on my own pessimism. When we assume nothing can change for the better and the powers against us are too embedded in the culture of this country, we LET them stay there. I'm on a continuous journey to learn what the fuck I can leverage my white, cis privilege for. I hope those of you who possess similar privileges do the same. 

So an additional goal is to keep reading some of the challenging works I've started, add another monthly donation to my collection, and stay involved while listening and amplifying Black voices as much as I can right now. ✌️ 

• Like 13

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

57 minutes ago, raptron said:

Because it's still Pride month during a tumultuous time in the United States (and worldwide), and you know what, it's relevant now (and always). I'm bi as hell, Black lives not only matter but are essential, and our trans siblings need our allyship and help. I'm trying to do my best by donating to charities and bail funds, protesting in the streets, writing my representatives, educating myself, and working hard to tamper down on my own pessimism. When we assume nothing can change for the better and the powers against us are too embedded in the culture of this country, we LET them stay there. I'm on a continuous journey to learn what the fuck I can leverage my white, cis privilege for. I hope those of you who possess similar privileges do the same. 

You're awesome.  ❤️🏳️‍🌈

• Like 1
1 hour ago, raptron said:

As you guys have noticed, I just kind of coast on through challenges by picking things that I'm already doing and basically blogging about my day to you guys.

TBH, same, just swap "things that I'm already doing" for "things that I aspirationally do, but often don't"

Cardioooo 

• ACTUALLY RIDE YOUR NEW BIKE!
    • Buy a helmet
    • Buy a lock

You got a BIKE???!? HOW DID I MISS THIS? We're de facto virtual long-distance biking buddies, it's decided.

❤️🏳️‍🌈

So an additional goal is to keep reading some of the challenging works I've started, add another monthly donation to my collection, and stay involved while listening and amplifying Black voices as much as I can right now. ✌️ 

Thank you for being you.

• Like 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

Following one of the coolest people I know.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Heeeeeeeeereeeee as usual.

Are gyms where you are back open?  I MISS LIFTINGGGGGGGG.

• Like 1

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

You are awesome people! 

Following

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Hiii loves, happy to see you all!

4 hours ago, dancezwithkittehz said:

Are gyms where you are back open?  I MISS LIFTINGGGGGGGG.

Not really, but we have an outdoor workout situation at my strength gym! You drag out a rack for yourself into the parking lot, barbell, etc. You wipe everything down and put it back when you're done. I have lots of bruises from moving the equipment, lolll. 

One of my teammates has an airtrack, also, and we're talking about having a flip date in her driveway. I have done... 0 gymnastics (handbalancing doesn't count) since March. 🙃

8 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

You got a BIKE???!? HOW DID I MISS THIS? We're de facto virtual long-distance biking buddies, it's decided.

Yaaas! I said I was thinking about buying one and a friend pawned one off from his basement on me, lol. I took it around the block and it seems good to go, I just have waffled on actually riding around. Hahah.

• Like 5

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I like your new format! I do miss the gym updates, equipment-heavy sports can be such a pain in end of the world scenarios  😝 but hey at least lifting is BACK!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

9 hours ago, raptron said:

One of my teammates has an airtrack, also, and we're talking about having a flip date in her driveway. I have done... 0 gymnastics (handbalancing doesn't count) since March. 🙃

3 people in my class bought airtracks in March lol I'm kind of debating it TBH

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

8 hours ago, @mu said:

I like your new format! I do miss the gym updates, equipment-heavy sports can be such a pain in end of the world scenarios  😝 but hey at least lifting is BACK!

Yeaaah. My program was also based in a university and they're considering not having people back on campus until winter, which I get. There are definitely other gyms that will be open before that, but none very close to the city. I don't drive so I'd be reliant on someone else to get me there.  Plus, I'm skeptical we would be able to get a regular time slot on the calendar. If we do manage to get 1-2 practices a week somewhere, I would commit to trying to go at least once a week? Just to try to get back to some kind of baseline (and because it's fun). 

15 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

3 people in my class bought airtracks in March lol I'm kind of debating it TBH

Ahhhh, I am so jealous. Dooo it. They are so fun. And way way safer than trampolines, haha. 

Raptron, alot assassin

Zero Week Update

My left knee was a bit swollen the two days after the big ass hike on Sunday, so I did the boring thing and respected it. I took Monday off of lifting and went on a 2-3 hour walk instead. Tuesday, I did the same. I had planned on signing on to handstand class, but I wound up starting my Tuesday walk a bit later than I meant to, so I missed it. I did handstands on my own when I got back, with a couple of against the wall drills, to try to at least pretend like it was a structured practice. I also did chin-ups at least one of these days! Though my lats and tris were a bit sore from like... lowering myself from wet boulders in the rain for several hours on Sunday, ha.

Wednesday, I lifted. It was the first time my quads actually felt okay while squatting (finally). My workout was a bit more relaxed on weights, but I actually accessory work for once, haha.

Squat: 4 x 5 x 225#

Bench (paused): 4 x 4 x 135#

Handstand practice between bench sets for funsies

Walking lunges: 4 x 15 x 30# DBs

Curls: 4 x 15 x 15# DBs

Bar skin-the-cats: 3 x 3 

L-sit holds on short p-bars my gym buddy has: 4 max static hold attempts (not pretty lol) 

Wednesday night D&D was actually a really good session. All my players were engaged and involved and did silly things. It was delightful. 🥰

They succeeded in not doing a genocide in the deep gnome arcanist/illusionist mining claim, thankfully. One has a notion of trying to get on the Council (a pretty loose ruling body run by whoever's name gets drawn out of a shiny hat) and becoming Gnome King. They learned more about the powerful new ore that has been the cause of so much commotion and conflict in the area. It seems the ore can be used as a substitute for the materials for all high level spells, it can be used to reach across planes, and is a powerful summoning reagent -- however, it's incredibly unpredictable and has a tendency to permanently alter the physical properties of objects and individuals that are in contact with it while they attempt to use it. The deep gnomes repeatedly stressed that they are concerned about a demon cult that has been taking up space nearby and does not seem to be up to any good. The cult may be in possession of one of the objects of great power they're seeking to break the bonds on their souls from their devil daddies -- as they have done for one of the party already. They came across a recruiter for this cult and brainwashed him -- he's now convinced all of them and they're on their way to the cult's headquarters.

Thursday, I wanted to 🎵 get physical 🎵but it was too hot and I wimped out of going for a run. I went on a short-ish walk and did handstands on my porch. Plus 5 sets of chin-ups (6, 6, 3, 4, 5) through the day. I also did laundry, made rhubarb scones, took a short nap, and played my bad bugbear bard D&D game. We continued to slaughter lots of goblins holed up in a castle. Pretty straightforward, haha. ✌️ 

Tonight: short lunchtime jog (maybe!), outdoor lifting, dinner and drinks probably on the porch with QP (quarantine pal for those of you who are not hip with the acronyms yet)

Sat: outdoor lifting, social distance beaching, social distance hang by the river with one of my best friends from college

Sun: jog or bike ride, maybe go swimming in a nearby lake, drinks w/GC (gym crush) 

• Like 6

Raptron, alot assassin

21 hours ago, raptron said:

Donating is a great idea, and I'm going to look into it, as well. If you have any recommendations for books about race & racism, especially by women, I would love to hear them. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

We love reading your blog :D 

On 6/18/2020 at 7:05 PM, raptron said:

working hard to tamper down on my own pessimism.

That’s hard, but your actions are saying you’re winning. You’re giving me hope. And I mean that in the least cheesy way possible. 

• Like 3

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 6/19/2020 at 10:41 AM, Harriet said:

Donating is a great idea, and I'm going to look into it, as well. If you have any recommendations for books about race & racism, especially by women, I would love to hear them. 

I read more books about people's lives and how racism has impacted them than ones specifically trying to dissect racism. But for the latter: there are classics from Angela Davis that I'd recommend, like Woman, Race, and Class from 1980, which highlights how White feminism has both intentionally and unintentionally ignored or erased the plight of Black women in the movement and has created a movement that doesn't serve them. It's 40 years old but, uh, still unfortunately relevant, and does cover some history of the feminist movement in America you may not know. I also recommend reading something by Audre Lorde. Also Toni Morrison's nonfiction essays always have a lot to say on race -- as do her fiction novels, which I cannot recommend enough. 

For more recent writers: I only just started When They Call You a Terrorist. I definitely recommend it so far. It's a memoir by one of the founders of BLM and also serves as an exploration/explanation of how the movement was founded. I also really loved How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America by Kiese Laymon, which is again, more autobiographical and is full of personal essays. As well as Between the World and Me, by Ta Nehasi Coates, which is largely letters he writes to his teen son about growing up Black in America. 

On 6/19/2020 at 11:10 AM, AgentsSka said:

Why hellloooooo there.

1.  Love all of this.

2.  New bike!  Woot!

3.  I'm building a home gym!

4.  We need to hang now that we sort of can.

5.  You are awesome.

HOME GYM! AWESOME. That's so very exciting.

And duh, we should outdoor hang soon! 

On 6/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, KB Girl said:

We love reading your blog :D 

Ahahah, good! Phew. 

That’s hard, but your actions are saying you’re winning. You’re giving me hope. And I mean that in the least cheesy way possible. 

💕

On 6/20/2020 at 12:57 AM, tei_ said:

Oh god, I need Friends With Airtracks.

YOU DO.

And... I feel you on the tamping down pessimism. Yeah.

It is so, so very challenging when everything feels so bleak and power continues to be so incredibly inbalanced.

• Like 4

Raptron, alot assassin

18 minutes ago, raptron said:

I read more books about people's lives and how racism has impacted them than ones specifically trying to dissect racism. But for the latter: there are classics from Angela Davis that I'd recommend, like Woman, Race, and Class from 1980, which highlights how White feminism has both intentionally and unintentionally ignored or erased the plight of Black women in the movement and has created a movement that doesn't serve them. It's 40 years old but, uh, still unfortunately relevant, and does cover some history of the feminist movement in America you may not know. I also recommend reading something by Audre Lorde. Also Toni Morrison's nonfiction essays always have a lot to say on race -- as do her fiction novels, which I cannot recommend enough. 

For more recent writers: I only just started When They Call You a Terrorist. I definitely recommend it so far. It's a memoir by one of the founders of BLM and also serves as an exploration/explanation of how the movement was founded. I also really loved How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America by Kiese Laymon, which is again, more autobiographical and is full of personal essays. As well as Between the World and Me, by Ta Nehasi Coates, which is largely letters he writes to his teen son about growing up Black in America. 

Nice, thank you! I now have a significant reading list. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

OK! Zero Week Wrap-up:

Hot, hot, hot Friday. I worked from the porch pretty much all day because it was stifling in my apartment. I went to lift quickly after work, but wound up stuck with one of the stations directly in the sun because there had been a rush on the shady areas -- dang. 

Squat: 5 x 3 x 245# <-- these were slow but actually didn't feel terrible, finally

Bench: 5 x 4 x 135# <-- these felt terrible, however, haha

Romanians DLs: 5 x 8 x 185# 

Half kneeling db press: 4 x 8 x 30# 

Clam shell variations x infinity

I went home, showered, and had takeout shawarma and beers with QP and my roommate. It was very chill. I also did chin-ups during the day (6, 6, 6, 5, 7) and porch handstands, playing with moving my legs in straddle holds and transitioning in and out of straddles.

I had a leisurely Saturday morning and tried to get to the gym around 10 (when the lot opens) to "beat the heat." That was uh, impossible, as it was already 88 when I got there, ha. I did get a station in partial shade this time, which was a godsend. And I had packed for the beach so I was able to put my towel on my bench as to not 1) slip and slide and 2) scorch myself on the black bench soaking in the sun.

Bench: 5 x 3 x 145# paused <-- bench felt way better than Friday

Deadlifts: 4 x 275#, 2 x 3 x 285#, 2 x 3 x 295# <-- I meant to do one more set at 295# but my calluses haven't built back up yet and my hands hurt SO BAD. 

DB rows: 4 x 10 x 40# DB

Single leg deadlifts: 4 x 12 x 65# KB

Chin-ups: 4, 4, 5, 5 

A couple of lifting friends and I got lunch and went to the beach again for a few hours. It was actually hot enough to spend a significant amount of time in the cold ocean to cool down. My friend canceled our evening plans, so I spent the rest of the day reading on the porch and then reading in my room, haha. MANY HOURS OF READING. But that's what summer is for. 

I finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, finished Gods of Jade and Shadow which is a Mexican YA novel that was a fine fluff read, started How to Hide an Empire, about America's territories, and When They Call You A Terrorist, described in the last post,  but might need to throw another fluffy fiction piece in the mix to break things up when my mindset isn't ready for either of the nonfiction books. 

Sunday was anotha scorcha as they say up here. It was 91 without the nice breezes of the previous days. I had afternoon and early evening plans, so I got out around 11 to do a workout -- probably should have gotten moving sooner before it got that hot, but oh well.  I jogged to a nearby track and did a sprint workout, with ample resting in the shade. 

Jog 1 mile warm-up

Track workout: jog the curves / sprint the straights x 5 (so 10 total sprints of about 80m-100m?)

2-3 minute rest between laps

Jog 1 mile "cool-down" <-- THERE IS NO COOLING DOWN WHEN IT IS THIS HOT

I took a quick shower and then hung out in the park with one of my best friends from college, who I don't think I'd seen since our trip to Mexico City way back in January. I went basically straight from there to patio dinner and drinks with GC (THERE WAS A KISS -- I THINK IT WAS A DATE). He had work to do ( 🙄), so I went home and had another couple of beers with my roommate and finished S4 of Insecure. (THE FINALE, GUH. HISS.)

• Like 10

Raptron, alot assassin

3 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

That’s it? 😛

RIGHT?! 😤 He did talk about how he feels like he can't have me over because of one of his roommates and I was like (internally) "ooh, you think about having me over?" Loool. 

Also, sorry, I did sneakily edit my update post because I didn't like how it was showing up today. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Raptron, alot assassin

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I read more books about people's lives and how racism has impacted them than ones specifically trying to dissect racism

Another classic should be the essays of James Baldwin. The collection Notes of A Native Son is a good place to start. Part 3 is a good read about his time in Paris and contrasting that experience to living in America. Also the second essay in The Fire Next Time he reflects on his experiences with Christianity and how he was disillusioned with the faith. He also has several great interviews if you search the Youtubes. He's a very impassioned speaker.

• Like 5

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle