Sign in to follow this  
BarefootDawsy

Dawsy's 28 day challenge

Hi All,

Another month, another challenge! Here are my goals:

Fitness Goals:

1. Join a gym

2. Establish my weight-training base

3. End the month being able to lift more than I can at the beginning (a modest goal, I know, but I have no idea at this point how much I will progress)

4. Hit the gym 3 times a week

Lifestyle Goal:

1. Well, it's a bit of a cheat, but I want to take a bit of time for myself each day. I currently work full time and have a side business. I'm a father of a 2 year old and my wife is 8 months pregnant. Needless to say, I'm pretty busy :)

As far as my class/race, I think I'm a Warrior Human (boring I know, but seems about right).

Well, it's done! I've crossed off goal 1 - I joined a gym...I can't believe I just typed that. I've never been one to go to gyms, as the few that I've been to have been full of bicep-curling monkeys and cardio machines.

The gym I found is a 24-hour Fitness that's just opened in my area. I was there at 6am and I was the only one there! I had all of the freeweights to myself, so was able to take my time and enjoy myself. I established baselines for Squats, Presses and Deadlifts:

Squats: 40kg

Press: 15kg

Deadlift: 45kg

Plus I did 1 set of 1 chinup :) - hey, you've got to start somewhere, right?

There are no benchpress facilities (for safety reasons apparently), so I need to find some other upper-body weight excercises to do instead...maybe some dumbbell work...

Onwards towards Power Cleans!

Dawsy

hey, great start!

and um, one chinup is where i'm starting too :) it's a great starting point! (at least, much better than last month's starting point, which was zero)

Benching is overrated.

The safety reasons are well founded as you need a spotter once you start progressing.

I almost got trapped under it the other day, was not pretty getting it back up.

Go for parrallel bar dips with weight hanging off you or ring dips.

Wow, thanks for all the encouragement guys! I'm really pumped this month.

Here's how session 2 broke down this morning:

It was a lot more crowded today, since it's a weekend and I made a later start than last time. This meant a bit more competition for weights, so I had to modify my routine a bit. I decided to add in a cross training bit too, since I had a bit of time.

- 3 X 5 Squats at 30kg

- 3 X 5 Power Clean (10 kg bar only) - I want to perfect my technique on this one before adding any weight...I haven't quite got it yet.

- 3 X 10 dumbell rows each arm at 14kg

- 17 mins Interval running (treadmill) Jogging (j) at 8km/h, running ® at 14km/h: 4j,1r,2j,1r,2j,1r,2jr,1r,3j

Not what I was expecting to do today, but I feel good that I was able to modify my routine on the fly, and feel pumped and healthy today :)

Dawsy

Most olympic bars are 20kg by the way. Or is it a smaller thinner one?

Also with power cleans, start stretching your wrists.

Flexibility is really one of the major issues with these bad boys,

Most olympic bars are 20kg by the way. Or is it a smaller thinner one?,

It's funny, I keep reading that, and I'm not 100% sure that it is 10kg...there's nothing on it that says how much it weights, so I'm just going by feel...there's noone to ask either since the gym's normally empty when I'm there. It would be cool if it is 20kg though 'cause then I'm doing a lot better than I thought I was! I'll ask someone next week...

Alright, so I've just come back from my third workout of this month's challenge...and I feel great! Once again, I had the weights to myself; In part because of the early hour, but also due to the fact that the other guys that turned up only use the Smith machine and do bicep curls...I thought that was a myth :)

I had a look around the gym this morning and have managed to find a Dips Machine (wtf?), which I should be able to use without all of the fancy weights getting in my way...near as I can figure, they're there to make the dips easier (again, wtf?). Can you tell that this is my first time having a gym membership?

The workout is progressing better than I expected. I've actually posted a few higher results today, and it was about the same level of difficulty as the last time I did this particular set of routines. Here's what I did:

Squats: 3 X 5 @ 35kg + Bar (waiting to find out how heavy the bar is)Press: 3 X 5 @ 10kg + BarDeadlift: 3 X 3 @ 50kg + BarChinups: 3 X 1I also did 3 X 5 practice Cleans from the Hang position to Rack...getting better, but I'm still not ready to add weight yet

I'm going to have to take the next workout off, but this is fine since instead I'm doing a 20km hike with a couple of workmates, so I think I'll let it slide :)

All in all, I think it's going well!

Uruk-Hai!

Alright, so I've just come back from my third workout of this month's challenge...and I feel great! Once again, I had the weights to myself; In part because of the early hour, but also due to the fact that the other guys that turned up only use the Smith machine and do bicep curls...I thought that was a myth :)

I had a look around the gym this morning and have managed to find a Dips Machine (wtf?), which I should be able to use without all of the fancy weights getting in my way...near as I can figure, they're there to make the dips easier (again, wtf?). Can you tell that this is my first time having a gym membership?

hahaha no, its not even close to a myth :)

and i use the "dip machine" thing for my dips too... luckily you can just move the assisted thing out of the way and do them unassisted.

Should be a pin you can pull out which will drop the seat to the ground on the dip machine.

My favourite is the "arms day"

Bi's and tri's with fuck all weights.

Haha seems to be pretty universal then :)

I skipped the gym today, and instead elected to do a 20km hike in 30 degree heat...I think I'll stick to the gym. The hike went well though, and it was a lovely day....me go sleep now!

4th day in the gym today, and it went well. I managed to do my first ever set of full power cleans! I think my form could still use a bit of work, but it's definitely starting to come together. Here's what I did today:

Squats: 3X5 @ 55kgDips 3X3 (not all the way to 90 degrees, but not far off it)Power Cleans 3X5 @ 40kgChinups 2X2 (Yay I'm getting stronger!)

And that's about it...next workout's in 2 days :)

Fifth gym session this morning, and it was all about personal bests today. I was feeling strong once I got through my squat sets, so decided to push myself a little bit extra on my presses and deadlifts. I'm pleased with the results :)

Squats: 3X5 @ 50kgPress: 3X5 @ 12.5kg - NEW PB!Deadlift: 2X3 @ 80kg + 1X3 @ 85 - another PB + First ever full bodyweight deadlift!

Next session, I think I'll try to add a bit to my squat weights.

Session 6

So I had my first real overlap with another gym-goer this morning...he had the squat rack all set up to do bench presses (of course) so I actually had to wait for a few minutes before starting (can you imagine? ;) ). This ended up working out ok, as I got in a bit more warm up and 2 sets of 10 pushups before starting weights.

I was planning to do a my Workout 2 plan with power cleans, but changed my mind since I'm still a bit shy about my form and there was someone else around. Silly I know...if I'd read the weekly challenge before going out I would have tried though!

To make up for it, I added an extra 5kg to my squats and did workout 1:

Squats: 3 X 5 @ 60kgPress: 3 X 5 @ 32.5kgDeadlift: 3 X 3 @ 85kg

Felt good this morning...I actually feel stronger this week!

So the company xmas party threw out the workout routine a bit this week...needed a little extra recovery time yesterday morning, so I ended up with 2 rest days instead of the usual 1. I made up for it today though, with PBs in all areas - yay!

Squats: 3 X 5 @ 62.5kgPress: 3 X 5 @ 35kgDeadlifts: 3 X 3 @ 90kgInverted Rows: 3 X 10

I feel really good today despite the oppressive humidity :)

Another day, another PB - yay!

Squats: 67.5kg 3 X 5- PB!Press: 37.5kg 3 X 5 - PB!Deadlift: 90kg 3 X 3Inverted Rows: 3 X 10

Plus I've started experimenting with the Crucifix Hold, but out in front...I like to think of it as the Baby Bath hold, since this is how I tend to let my son drip off after a bath :) Basically I held a 10kg weight straight out in front of me for 20s 3 times....going to keep working on this I think - it's a quick excercise and bloody hard.

Well, that's it, the challenge is over...so how did it go? Incredible.

Here's a recap

1. Join a gym

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing I managed to find a gym nearby and signed up...it's a 24 hour place and I have the whole weightroom to myself - WIN!

2. Establish my weight-training base

I spent the first couple of workouts on this, and here's what I came up with:

Squats: 40kg

Press: 15kg

Deadlift: 45kg

Power Clean: 20kg

3. End the month being able to lift more than I can at the beginning

My last workout of the challenge yielded a PB in Squats, so here's where I'm at now:

Squats: 70kg - an increase of 30kg (66lbs)

Press: 37.5kg - an increase of 22.5kg (50lbs)

Deadlift: 90kg - an increase of 45kg (90lbs)

Power Clean: 42.5kg - an increase of 22.5kg (50lbs)

4. Hit the gym 3 times a week

This I managed to do like clockwork - yay!

5. Take a bit of time for myself each day

I've taken about 30mins to an hour each day to go to the gym, and to start thinking about some part-time business ideas. I bought a stack of eBooks at Steve's recommendation and have started to read them...I really need an iPad :)

As a bonus, I've been keeping track of my body fat % and waist measurements, and I've gone from 24.77% and 98cm to 20.14% and 91cm. I'm really stoked about this result.

Thanks guys for all of your help and support! I'll be taking a couple of weeks off while my wife and I have our second baby, so if I'm not around much, that's the reason :)

Sign in to follow this