• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JessOfAllTrades

JessOfAllTrades Tries To Define Structure

So didn't quite make it to the very end of the last challenge, but given that it broke my incredibly long hiatus I'm still proud of what I did manage to do. So we're back for another, because it is summer break for me and that means way more headspace for self-care and my health.

Last challenged I wanted to work on rebuilding structure...

Spoiler

Oh, hi all. I just recently posted on the respawn board and figured why not try a challenge?

I think I was a Druid before my last NF hiatus. I've dabbled in Assassin, spent quite some time with the Rangers, and now I'm here because the pandemic has taken away a whole lot of the structure in my life and that's no good for a chaotic, executively dysfunctional person like myself. So I'm here while I work on rebuilding and redefining my structures and routines, even though this current moment will not be the way of things forever.

Since this is my first time back in over two years, and I am still learning how to cope with my new "normal," this is going to be a very basic, baby-step kind of challenge. I hope to be able to increase my goals as I go, but I know me. I'm a notorious over-promising, all-in type of person the first few weeks, then I stop once my willpower runs out. So this won't be much, but its a start on rebuilding some structure in my life as I try to adapt to my new normal for the rest of my school year.

I had flexible goals that shifted from week to week. That seemed to work well, but it also gave me an out when things got hectic.

So I realize now I need to consider what the heck structure actually means to me now that my life has shifted again, so to me that means exploring taking some control over parts of my life that feel like they are lacking structure to support my goals. So these goals may look a little wonky, but the idea is to figure out how to take more ownership in my decisions, build up choices that help me, and to remember all the good things I am doing because it is so easy to not notice.

Goals:

1) Take charge of your food.

- Take control of breakfast
- Keep your food log to the best of your ability
- One new recipe a week

I am ridiculously passive when it comes to food. I am blessed with a partner who loves cooking, does the majority of it, and also does the dishes because I'm such a disaster when it comes to handling chores. This is nothing new in my life, because I've been with my partner since 2011, but I have allowed myself to just go with it and that is incredibly unfair of me. 

I constantly complain about having to watch my food intake and the need to eat healthier. My Mom was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, and heart disease is rampant in my family tree. I have to do better. My life may literally depend on it in the not too distant future since I, unfortunately, continue aging. Yet I continue to go with the flow with what my husband cooks, which can be anywhere between tasty, healthy dishes to tasty, super unhealthy options. I am more than capable of cooking, and can do more if I want to see other options. And, you know, work on portion control because he always gives me half and I do not need as much food as he does. 

He is totally on board with this, by the way. But I need to do more if I'm going to complain about our food choices. I have way more control than I think, and I need to put that into practice. With small, baby steps because I'm still easing back into challenges. Breakfast is easy during the summer because I'm not waking up at 5 and rushing to get out the door, and my partner does not typically eat breakfast. Food logging is important, but also a bit of a slippery slope for me that I have to be careful with, and c'mon, I can manage one new recipe a week, because cooking is awesome.

Grading: 
  • Week 1: Pass
  • Week 2:
  • Week 3:
  • Week 4:

2) Use your environment to develop structure
- Complete an "inspired" chore and add to to a rotation
- Keep going through boxes

Since we are currently house hunting, there isn't a whole lot of motivation to make our current living space more like a home. We never wanted to live in this apartment, but it was necessary when I changed jobs. Our old apartment, which we loved, was about an hour and a half away from my school, and while my commute was against the flow of traffic, it was exhausting to spend anywhere from 3 to 4 hours in the car. So we transferred to a sister complex much closer which was great on that front. Still, we aren't fans of this place and you can tell we're just waiting for the next step. That being said, chaotic environments are not relaxing or recharging, and since it is summer I have some time to put in the work not only to make the apartment more livable, but also to help us get ready for whenever we do make the house purchase (since we still have boxes packed from the previous move and all... )

The chore thing may be difficult to explain. Basically I am very good at ignoring a lot of mess and things that need to get done, but can typically fixate on one thing that I want to get done (all cleaning related in this case). So since I'm still getting this up on Thursday, I can share that I have been incredibly productive because I'm just doing whatever chore captures my fancy that day. After that I add it to a list and write down how often it should get done, and how often it is currently getting done. I'm hoping to learn something about my house keeping patterns and my motivation to get things done since I am getting ready to move into all sorts of behavioral modification with therapy. Wheee.

The boxes thing just has to get done, sadly. I'm going to hate it, but I'm going to hate it more when I'm moving a box to our new house that has been packed since our very first apartment in Maryland 8 years ago.

Grading: 
  • Week 2:
  • Week 3:
  • Week 4:

3) Protect and reinforce your emotional/mental well being
- Keep journaling
- Continue moving forward with mental health stuff
- Practice empathy for myself

Clearly I am not shy about taking about mental health stuff. Not only is it my professional life, but I personally am dealing with a number of things where my brain can be a little wonky. A lot of my recent work has been moving beyond being angry and resentful about it and learning how to embrace it as a part of who I am, and how it doesn't cancel out all the wonderful things about me. Hell, some of the wonderful parts of me are connected to my mental health quirks, and what matters is how I function in the world with all those parts of me. 

Last challenge I tried to find ways to be a little more in touch with my feelings, because I am excellent at shutting down when feelings become too complicated. Writing about it was great, even if that remains just a nice, private thing I do I want to include it in this challenge. The second point is already in the works, which is pretty cool, because advocating for what you need is really hard with anxiety. I'm gearing up to be re-evaluated so I can move forward with a more defined treatment plan (hence the behavioral modification mentioned earlier) that will hopefully help me make some more progress.

The last point is new, because my therapist may or may not have taken me to town over how hard I am on myself when I mess up. I mess up often, as humans are wont to do, and it quickly becomes a reason to not continue with my plan. Even though I logically know better that 100% isn't feasible (or healthy, depending on what is happening), my anxiety manifests in an awful inner voice of criticism and anger when I miss the mark, and it is only silenced when I give up. Thankfully I have come a long way in challenging my anxiety, and will hopefully continue to do so as I give myself the same benefit of the doubt I give other people. And, you know, tell my inner voice to solve it and just get back on the horse after falling off.

Grading: 
  • Week 2:
  • Week 3:
  • Week 4:

4) Don't forget to have fun and celebrate
- Do creative things
- Share celebrations
- Continue taking risks!

Alright, last challenge I really didn't have a fun/creative goal. I am not doing to define what "do creative things" means, because the minute I make a project list I seem to develop some sort of aversion to doing it. That being said I have a ton of projects to finish, new hobbies I am working on, and I have big plans for my future craft room in my new house because what else am I going to do with the my now canceled-Disney vacation money? I kid, that's going to the house fund, but still. I sew, I cross-stitch, I want to make dice, and draw, and everything and anything. I am at my best when I am being creative, and often that anxiety stuff gets in the way of it.

As well as sharing it. I want to share the cool stuff I'm doing, because it is awesome. I'm running new tabletop RPGs for friends because we're looking to expand a bit beyond Dungeons and Dragons. Speaking of D&D, I am a member of an D&D-themed improv troupe. Right now we're streaming our shows by playing various games with one another. I was doing bar trivia. I have a weird, funky, nerdy life and I want to share that with other people because a) I get to make cool friends and b) I want to learn from other people and maybe help others who are interested. 

So this goal is all about the fun stuff, which is especially important right now. Sure, things are starting to open back up again around here, but we're still in pandemic-mode and we gotta celebrate what we can. 

Grading: 
  • Week 2:
  • Week 3:
  • Week 4:
  • Like 2

Love the plan to try new recipes! I've been thinking of doing the same. It's so easy to just cycle through the same few dinners, but even if they are so delicious you'll never get bored of them it's still nice to try something new now and again.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 2:25 PM, JessOfAllTrades said:

I am ridiculously passive when it comes to food

I can be this way at times, as well. Having meals prepped and planned can really help with this if you're not traditionally conscientious about your food.

Use your environment to develop structure

I really like this a lot, and it's practical. Glad you're back again. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

Food logging is important, but also a bit of a slippery slope for me that I have to be careful with,

Curious to what makes it a slippery slope for you. My wife and I have done this together a few times and for her it becomes a little

overwhelming I think, and she begins to feel a little OCD about eating. Is that what you refer to?  For me it ends up being a pretty intuitive process, but I do a few weeks of tracking in MFP every few months just to make

sure I am eating what I think I am eating

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 3:43 PM, Jupiter said:

Love your goals! :) 

Thanks! How is it already Thursday? I need to finish updating. 

On 6/22/2020 at 6:44 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Love the plan to try new recipes! I've been thinking of doing the same. It's so easy to just cycle through the same few dinners, but even if they are so delicious you'll never get bored of them it's still nice to try something new now and again.

It really is so easy, especially since I'm not typically the one cooking. ;) Once a upon a time I used to grace these forums with delicious food pics, and I hope to do so again this challenge.

On 6/22/2020 at 7:24 PM, WolfDreamer said:

I can be this way at times, as well. Having meals prepped and planned can really help with this if you're not traditionally conscientious about your food.

I really like this a lot, and it's practical. Glad you're back again. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Food planning is the bane of my existence. I have yet to find a way to make it work for me, but I'm still working on it nevertheless, because it is really helpful. Thank you!

On 6/22/2020 at 8:45 PM, ZachPSU said:

Curious to what makes it a slippery slope for you. My wife and I have done this together a few times and for her it becomes a little

overwhelming I think, and she begins to feel a little OCD about eating. Is that what you refer to?  For me it ends up being a pretty intuitive process, but I do a few weeks of tracking in MFP every few months just to make

sure I am eating what I think I am eating

Two things - One I struggle with most routine tasks due to ADHD. I can typically get momentum going for maybe a week or two, but eventually I hit some sort of roadblock (recipe has to be manually put in, etc. etc.) and my motivation evaporates because I am already putting in way more energy than one would normally expect. Two counting calories and tracking food can be triggering because my relationship with food was dangerous when I was younger, and while I am forever in a better place compared to that period of my life, it sometimes brings out those feelings when trying to do this very useful task.

• Like 1

Hokay, I did a rush job to get the goal explanations up. Grading may be wildly subjective this challenge, but I am here for it. Despite taking my dear sweet time updating, I promise you I've been busy:

Spoiler

We busted out our waffle maker for chicken and waffles last weekend, and I have been inspired to see what else I can cook via waffle maker. I foresee hashes and veggie fritters in my future. I did make egg muffins with some leftover pancetta and green peppers, but ran into the whole "Oh my god I am tired of this same consistency of egg" thing. So I will be making a grocery run later to add a few other breakfast options into rotation, such as overnight oats, things to cook in the waffle maker besides waffles, and perhaps more. We did do avocado toast as well, because we are good little millennials. ;)  I find that if I have a good breakfast I tend to not want lunch. Is that weird? Or is that me paying attention to my hunger as opposed to just eating at assigned times? I'm okay with this, because breakfast is superior to lunch in my opinion (yes, I know you can technically eat whatever for any meal, but breakfast food is the best).

I've slacked on this. I want to take these last few days just to write a food log. No calorie-counting, no MFP logging, just a list of what I'm eating. I think this will help me once I do log because I can always put it in at the end of the night if I have it written down, as opposed to doing it in the moment and getting annoyed when MFP doesn't have it or I have to put in the whole recipe. That does not help me with calorie-counting, but right now I'd rather build the habit and not worry about the number as much.

- One new recipe a week
This week is quickly getting away from us. I've been surprisingly busy with social stuff (mostly online, one in-person, because our state is opening up and goddammit I miss people, but I am trying not to do that too often because I don't want the last three months to be for nothing). So my recipe may not be a dinner. It may be some of my experimentation on the waffle maker.

So far I have washed all the towels in the house, the bedding, and today I want to tackle my vanity because my products are all over the place. Huzzah for situational inspiration to clean!

Still needs to get done this week.

- Keep journaling
On my list today! I've been going for a lot of walks and having a lot of thoughts. Now I need to work on getting them on paper/word document because physically writing things is not going to happen

So I'm getting evaluated. My diagnoses are outdated and I haven't had any sort of treatment plan for almost a decade? I asked my therapist for next steps, and I already have an appointment scheduled for Tuesday next week. Apparently the pandemic slowed down psychological testing for where I go to therapy, so the waitlist isn't insanely long at the moment. Folks, if you are considering evaluation, apparently now is the time to ask/get on the list.

I was asked to give myself a mantra - 80/20. Which made me smile and think of NF, because that seems to be a prevalent message/philosophy of many of our rebels. Beyond that I have been incredibly kind to myself since work ended because last summer was a nightmare. I was so anxious, I couldn't give myself permission to relax, and felt like I constantly had to be doing something. This summer I am still feeling that way, but I am immediately stopping those spirals of "why" and "should be" and just letting myself use my time as needed. Am I wasting some of it? Totally. Is that okay right now? Absolutely.

- Do creative things
I've been drawing a bit, mostly focusing on flowers even though they are surprisingly difficult to draw. Beyond that I have made so many characters recently due to most of my gaming groups moving into one-shots/short-term campaigns (because I, the DM of two of them, needed a DMing hiatus). I ran a Lasers and Feelings game, which was fun and a good challenge since I tend to only run D&D, and this Monday I will begin a session zero for Monster Hearts 2, which is exciting. I'm happy to see some of my DMing inspiration coming back, even if I am not ready to return to my big multi-year epic campaign, or my smaller, but also epic other campaign. 

- Share celebrations
Alright. Here I go to plug something cool I do. In January, on a whim, I auditioned for a local improv troupe that frames their show through D&D. Basically the character concepts are all D&D tropes, and we have a DM who makes dice rolls to determine outcomes in scenes. The show is a short campaign, centered around a main character the audience picks, with the rest of the troupe playing NPCs/other characters/villians/etc. I had no expectations, because I haven't done improv since college, and even my college experience wasn't all that expansive. Well I ended up making it into the troupe, which is super cool, but unfortunately never got to my first stage show since Covid-19 closed down our home theater in March. 

However, we moved to streaming as a means to perform. We aren't running our actual show, because we are working through some technical quirks with Zoom, but instead we play various tabletop games together. So if you're the kind of person who likes to watch ttrpg streams, we aim for shows every third Friday of the month. I believe there are some videos up of our Dadlands show, but expect to see our new show next month. Here's our channel

- Continue taking risks!
Look, asking my therapist about evaluation and calling the office to schedule my appointment was enough risk-taking this week. Actually, I did also hop into a game with a group that plays together (I only knew one other player and am acquainted with the DM), and we apparently had enough fun to continue the game regularly, so also a risk? While I am a social creature, I am slow to warm up to new people because I am a lot to handle, but this ended up being fun and rewarding because it was another not D&D system.

Sorry, that was a hella long update. That's what happens when I am late to the challenge.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

I foresee hashes and veggie fritters in my future. I did make egg muffins with some leftover pancetta and green peppers,

Sounds yummy!

4 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:
However, we moved to streaming as a means to perform. We aren't running our actual show, because we are working through some technical quirks with Zoom, but instead we play various tabletop games together. So if you're the kind of person who likes to watch ttrpg streams, we aim for shows every third Friday of the month. I believe there are some videos up of our Dadlands show, but expect to see our new show next month. Here's our channel

That's neat! :) Looks like you're doing great on your goals, keep it up. :) 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jupiter said:

Sounds yummy!

That's neat! :) Looks like you're doing great on your goals, keep it up. :) 

They were! Also, spoilers - I did make some veggie fritters as my recipe and they were the bomb (pictures and recipe coming for a future update). The egg muffins had some texture issues because eggs are frustrated to bake, but they get the job done.

And it is neat. I'm very lucky to have some cool opportunities near my living space. :) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JessOfAllTrades said:

They were! Also, spoilers - I did make some veggie fritters as my recipe and they were the bomb (pictures and recipe coming for a future update). The egg muffins had some texture issues because eggs are frustrated to bake, but they get the job done.

And it is neat. I'm very lucky to have some cool opportunities near my living space. :) 

Nice! :) 

• Like 1

Yay! I found your challenge! 

I like how you are structuring this one. It Is looses-goosey enough to be flexible, but there are specifics as well. I'm jazzed to see how it works for you.

One piece of advice on tracking. Sometimes it is okay to just track for one day to see how you are doing. But you have to track that entire day. It can give perspective and doesn't become that terrible chore it can feel like when you do it every day. The perspective it gives can be really helpful in the following days.

Good luck!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Yay! I found your challenge! 

I like how you are structuring this one. It Is looses-goosey enough to be flexible, but there are specifics as well. I'm jazzed to see how it works for you.

One piece of advice on tracking. Sometimes it is okay to just track for one day to see how you are doing. But you have to track that entire day. It can give perspective and doesn't become that terrible chore it can feel like when you do it every day. The perspective it gives can be really helpful in the following days.

Good luck!

Oo, that may be an incredibly good way to approach tracking. Thank you for the suggestion!

Alright, so week 1.

Spoiler

- One new recipe a week

Overall: I did not take control of breakfast everyday, but the days I did felt accomplished. I also kept track of my food some days, but didn't do a whole lot of actual logging beyond writing it down in google keep. I did do my new recipe. I recommend adding some citrus to the sauce, and no need to pre-cook the veggies because they cook enough when fried and the texture is fine? Or maybe I'm weird. I was in a rush and didn't want to cook them, especially since I've done other fritters in the past and haven't had to. Regardless, this was a good first week.

Grade: I'm giving myself a pass instead of a fail. There's totally room for improvement, but I'm trying not to overwhelm myself.

Overall: This is working incredibly well. Doing the chores I feel inspired to do feels productive, doesn't tax my limited willpower/energy levels, and yay feeling accomplished! I did run into one issue - I picked one task that ended up not getting finished because I didn't have enough time set aside for it, but I'm still pleased that it is a work in progress. So far I've washed bedding, all the towels, and cleaned the vanity outside of the bathroom that I use for all my products. That includes a deep clean of the sink, because it was gross, the mirrors, the counters, and removing all the products so I can go through things (and that's where I stalled a bit). I've also been more inclined to take on the chores I tend to ignore (dishes, taking out trash, etc) because I've been able to take that momentum and keep it going a bit to take care of other tasks. And I've gone through two boxes. Many more to go.

Grade: Pass! 

- Keep journaling

Overall: This one is so subjective. I've given myself way more leeway than I normally do, which is good. I've recognized moments of my frantic, anxious-driven energy that comes with the loss of my work structure, but I recognized it and forced myself to do something relaxing (oh hi Animal Crossing and my pile of books to read). Journaling has not happened much yet beyond some topics I wrote down. And the mental health stuff was very front-loaded in my last update, but today is my appointment to begin evaluation. So, you know, trying not to be nervous as I prepare to share all my feelings with a stranger... Which I do regularly because I have no shame. So we'll go with that.

Grade: Pass. 

- Do creative things
- Share celebrations
- Continue taking risks!

Overall: This may be the one I focused the least on this week? Still drawing, looking into some new hobbies (blending my own tea and t-shirt design. Not going anywhere yet with them, because I have too many projects I've immediately jumped into and abandoned the minute I found them difficult). Continuing to say yes to games even if it may not be sustainable once school returns to some normalcy. As for the biggest risk of all, possibly moving towards an offer on a house? Which is all sorts of awesome and also terrifying because it is such a huge purchase. I've lived in apartments my whole life. I cannot even fathom what living in a house is like. We're in a position that if it falls through we won't be heartbroken, but we did really like this place. So that's a big ol' risk.

Grade: Pass

On to week 2!
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 6:20 AM, JessOfAllTrades said:

blending my own tea and t-shirt design.

My first thought when I read this was "How do you blend t-shirt design with tea?" Even after I realized my mistake I spent a good amount of time imagining how one would do that. Turns out you can dye t-shirts with tea. So maybe that can be your new hobby? ;) 

Great job on week one and good luck on the house.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, GoodDoug said:

My first thought when I read this was "How do you blend t-shirt design with tea?" Even after I realized my mistake I spent a good amount of time imagining how one would do that. Turns out you can dye t-shirts with tea. So maybe that can be your new hobby? ;) 

Great job on week one and good luck on the house.

I have dyed things with tea and coffee before, but usually it was paper to create old looking historical documents. While I am highly interested in dyeing fabric and aida cloth for future sewing projects, that particular interest was dormant until now. :) 

• Like 1

So week 2, spoilers, not as good as week 1, but there are reasons.

Spoiler

- One new recipe a week

Overall: Breakfast and food logging just weren't in the cards this week. This was a struggle week for getting pretty much anything done. I apparently was not feeling my best physically, and it was just one of those weeks were I could not get it together to go grocery shopping and plan. I don't know if it was due to last week being kind of busy? Or this week all of my emotional energy was invested in house stuff? I did make a new recipe on Sunday, thank goodness, but since I put little to no effort into my other goals this week I'm taking the fail. I did make good on my threat to use the waffle iron more for this week's recipe.

Grade: Fail. Gotta do better this week.

Overall: Still making progress here. Laundry continued, as did organizing a lot of the paperwork we have (tax info, old leases, all my teacher documentation, character sheets from various games). Also got another box done. How do we own so much stuff? I also finally delivered things to friends who had a baby back in May, which was not an inspired chore, just a "oh shit I need to get this done" chore.

- Keep journaling

Overall: This week had a really rough start. We were back and forth with our bank to get ready to put in an offer, had a brief panic over numbers, worked it out, put in an offer on a house Tuesday, had to add an escalation clause Wednesday, and the sellers went with another offer late Wednesday night. It was a ton of up and down and while we are totally fine with the results, there's still some disappointment that the house search continues after a whole lot of emotional rollarcoastering. So part of the reason why Week 2 wasn't my strongest is because I was really trying to be kind to myself. In the middle of all of this was my official job change, my intake appointment, and a general rise in anxiety with everything going on in the world. So I needed some shut down time, is basically what I'm saying. I did not journal, but I continued the mental health stuff and was practiced some serious empathy this week.

Grade: Pass. Gotta get to work on the writing.

- Do creative things
- Share celebrations
- Continue taking risks!

Overall: I am continuing to live my best online life with all the tabletop rpgs. I am beyond excited to run Monster Hearts 2 for some of my oldest, dearest friends. We had our session zero on Monday and this system is incredible. I'm sorry it has taken me this long to branch out from D&D. I am happy to chat more about it for people who are interested, but so much of it is player-driven creation and that is totally okay with my DMing/GMing style. I am feeling motivated, which is great. My other main group finished up a two-game campaign on Sunday and have agreed to chat next week about our plans moving forward. While I want to shift back into DMing that group, I'm not sure I'm ready and I want to really get into why I feel the campaign may need to shift focus because I've been reflecting a lot about themes and ethics in world-building, but that's a tough conversation to have. Still, lots of creative goodness happening. Celebrations include officially changing to my new job! Which is huge! I am a school counselor again about two years as behavioral support. And risks include moving forward with my evaluation (hello four hour appointment on Thursday), and actually putting an offer in on a house. Sure, we didn't get the house, but knowing we are capable of making offers and navigating this process is huge. And both my husband and I feel we have a better handle on what we're looking for in regards to what makes a house feel right. And we have a slight forced break since our realtor is on vacation, so that means a little less stress this week.

Onward to Week 3! 
  • Like 2