mom2sjm: the summer solitarian

mom2sjm

Dang!  So close!!  I was so close to getting out of this house...

Stuck Inside GIFs | Tenor

Now I need to face reality that I will continue to be stuck at home until August as I have a surgery scheduled for july 9th with a 4-6 week recovery.  Bummer.  Sad face.

Crying Woman GIFs | Tenor

But, I have a plan!

Anna Kendrick Typing GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

June 21-July 7th:  Focus on boosting my immune system so I am healthy going into surgery.  

• daily walks
  • 3x weekly "darebee plan b" workout
  • more eating of the superfoods and less eating of the junk foods

July 8th:  Get ready for surgery

• finally, a haircut!  already had that scheduled before this surgery came up so that worked out.
  • give myself a manicure (no polish - but the nice buff out so things are shiny).
  • get guest room all ready for myself since that's where I'll recover initially once home.

July 9-10th:  Hospital

July 11-25th:  Recovery

• follow doctor's orders for exercise
  • get back on the superfoods
  • start work on clock hours needed for grade change this fall (30 hours/online)

• Like 3

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Parks and Recreation | GIFGlobe

starting weight:  145lbs

• daily walks = 1x daily
  • 3x weekly "darebee plan b" workout = 2x per workout
  • more eating of the superfoods and less eating of the junk foods:  .5 per meal/snack that includes a superfood as the main ingredient

I am going to create a spreadsheet to keep track of the data for this time chunk.  still thinking about how to manage points during recovery but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Off To A Good Start GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Week 1:  13 points

It goes like this sometimes.  I get excited to create a challenge.  I set myself up for success - shop, set my alarm, mark my calendar.  But then.  I don't make a move.  Didn't move much last week - or three days into this week to be honest.  My diet has continued to be super junky instead of super-foody.  *sighs*

But my surgery date approaches so I need a new attitude for these next eight days.  I know though that because I'm off to a rocky start, I need to take it one day at a time now.  I have been filling out my spreadsheet daily but maybe going forward each day I'll check in here, for accountability.   Get myself back on track.  

Neil Patrick Harris GIF | Gfycat

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Accountability Check In 1/8

Did good today - got in a walk and the plan b workout.  had one kinda junky meal (breakfast sandwich) but all other meals were superfood centric.  See you tomorrow.
so yeah i'll be watching you gifs | WiffleGif

• Like 2

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Accountability Check In 4/8 and Week 2 Reflection

walk - yes

plan b - yep

superfood meal(s) - oh yeah

Ended the week better than I started.  Ate very mindfully the past four days.  Did the plan b workout daily which I hadn't planned on doing but thought I'd try since I had points to make up.  But it worked so maybe the next four days I'll continue daily since then I'll be down after the surgery.  21 points for week two.

I need to think about modifications to end out week 3.  

The Flash - Make A Plan, Abandon The Plan GIF by MikeyMo | Gfycat

• Like 3

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Accountability Check In 5/8

Good on all three goals today.  Researched some exercises I can do after my surgery.  I will defer to my doctor of course but I just like to have an idea of what I might expect.  

• Like 2

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Accountability Check In 6/8

Good on all three goals for today.  Came up with modifications to finish the week (july 9-11th) as follows:

walk - journal (1pt)

plan b - calm.com (1pt)

superfood - eat the hospital/home food and don't worry about it (1pt)

journal - it's about reflecting on the experience and documenting how I'm feeling/taking notes from the doctor about recovery.

calm.com - do some kind of breathing meditation or listen to a sleep story.

eat/don't worry - whether it's hospital food or whatever the boys prepare for me at home, just eat it and don't worry about it.  take my meds, stay hydrated.

• Like 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

I think your eat/ don't worry goal is wise!

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

accountability check in 7/8

not a great food day.  I had mcdonalds for breakfast - oatmeal and a coke!  I  just had a major sugar craving and the stress from anticipation about my surgery weakened my resolve. 

Sugar craving, commencing. - GIFs - Imgur

speaking of surgery - I had my pre-check-in required covid test this morning and it wasn't too bad.  I had one on in April after I was very ill for an extended period (it came back negative) and it was not fun.  but today?  no big deal, it was just a regular q-sized tip and the swab didn't go as deep as that first test.  so that was a nice surprise.  followed by a shitty breakfast (oh well).  finished the day with better food, although I did just snack on some cheese...  ummm.  also had a nice walk and did plan b.

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Stress is a beast that plays you by its own rules.  You only gave into the one attack! Woot!  cheese doesn't count as junk in my world since there is actual nutrition to it.... as long as you don't eat the whole block/wheel/slab.  *source: I used to work at a cheesemonger and can validate real cheese to almost anybody.

Enjoy your treat-yo-self day!

• Like 1

Week 3 in Review
Exhausted GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I'm exhausted.  Had my surgery on Thursday and it went really well but my recovery got off to a rough start when I was paired with the roommate from HELL.  I've never encountered a more self-centered, inconsiderate person.  Ever.  I'm pretty chill and really try to see the good in people, to put myself in their shoes and not take things personally but this woman was awful.  Two days later I'm still upset about it!!  She was terrible.  Happily, I was discharged pretty early on Friday and am home now.  As for the challenge, I was able to do the modifications as written and I ended the week with 23.5 points!

For the final two weeks my goals are as follows: 

• recovery - 1pt daily (the goal here is to do what I'm supposed to do related to recovery.  ambulate/hydrate/void/meds/doctor's orders)
  • self-care - 1-2pts daily (take a shower, journal, do a calm.com sleep story, work a puzzle, call a friend to chat, etc.  just do at least 1 thing in this genre daily to take care of my mental health so I am better able to handle my recovery.  I can earn up to 2 pts daily on this one if I do more than one self-care thing.).
  • pre-k prep - 1pt daily (work on the classes I need to complete this summer in order to make my grade change this fall.  daily baby steps, not my normal ADHD mode - hyperfocus and finish it all in one day!)

• Like 3

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Glad the surgery went well. Woot for those points!

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm hopeless at being helpless | Off the Beaten Track

I feel like this cat.  I didn't break my leg but I do have a catheter and a pee bag strapped to it!!  Was discharged on Friday and things were going okay but at some point on Saturday my bladder stopped draining and I was in sooooo much pain.  Went to the ER and  they drained it - 50 ounces!!!!!  I immediately felt better but then they said I had to go home with a temporary catheter so my body can focus on healing from the surgery, not peeing.  It's cool and gross at the same time.  I have an appointment later today to see if it can come out.   We'll see how that goes.  I feel like I'm recovering from my surgery ok otherwise.  I don't need the pain meds anymore and I've finally had a poop (aren't you glad you decided to check out this post!!)...

• Like 2

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Week 4 Review
Omg I Survived! GIF | Gfycat

It was a rough week, not gonna lie.  Dealing with setbacks with constipation and the return of the catheter/pee bag after it had been removed...  I was feeling really low.  but finally on Wednesday (like at 11pm) I finally ended the reign of the constipation pain and then on Friday I PASSED my pee test and the catheter is gone!!  Taking it easy today, went out for my first walk untethered and focused on my clock hours.  Despite all the pain this week I did pretty good with the challenge.  I ended up with 25 points for the week!!  I've finished 3 modules of a Child Care Basics course I'm working on in order to make a grade change this fall.  I worked daily on my recovery - dr. appts, dr. calls, managing med changes, getting up to walk, climbing stairs.  I did good on self-care even though my mood was low, feeling frustrated and in pain - but I journaled, I sat outside and visited with my boys, took showers and changed out of pajamas, etc.  Feeling pretty good going into week 5.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Impressive way to smash the challenge while dealing with post surgery blecks.

• Like 1

Week 5 Check In
Normal Jojo Fletcher GIF by The Bachelorette - Find & Share on GIPHY

Dare I say it?  Normal is on the horizon.  I'm pooping, I'm peeing, I'm down to an occasional tylenol, and I'm walking regularly throughout the day.  What more can I want from recovery??

I did overdo it on Sunday - too long of a walk but I adjusted and now every hour I get up and either loop the yard or do this simple stroll down our cul-de-sac and then along an easement behind our house.  I have been driving to a park and doing one short walk each day too - SHORT.  I'm so slow, a man in his walker passed me the other day.  But meh, just going to keep it simple the rest of this week and not worry about it.

So that's the mid-week check in.

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28

Challenge wrap up!

Top 30 Finish Line GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Omigod.  I can not believe I finished this challenge.  Final points?  102.5!!  That's a level up :)

This last week I rallied and finished my 30 clock hours, I increased my walking ALOT, and every day I did a little something for myself.  So a good finish (26 points for the week).  I have my post surgery appointment scheduled and I'm looking forward to scheduling a hair cut.  I wasn't going to but our principal announced yesterday that we are going back in-person this fall (I teach at a catholic school) so it's time to start thinking about cleaning things up a bit, appearance wise (this may be goals marinating for another challenge??)...

Thanks for checking in on me and for the support and encouragement!!

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Rock Gnome Assassin

Lvl 28