I just learned that wall walks are an actual exercise and not just a way to get your feet higher for handstand practice. Turns out I can walk up the wall, if awkwardly, but not back down again. I get down the same way I always have - stepping down by bending at the waist. How critical to handstand prep is walking down? Should I be finishing the up walk at a lower point and with no pause so that I have the juice to get back down properly?

When I think about it, I’m pretty sure I’ve never walked back down the wall. I’ve always either pirouetted/cartwheeled out or done a gymnastics roll out.

Wall walks are a good exercise for developing the strength to hold a handstand. But once you’ve got that and handstands become a skill to practice, I think it’s more useful to conserve your energy for more handstands.

So just putting hands in position and taking big steps up the wall to near vertical is good enough? Because it's a ton easier and what I was doing before. Trying to coordinate hand and foot movement when all your weight is on your hands is awkward. It's like trying to learn to walk in a handstand before you can hold them.

5 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

So just putting hands in position and taking big steps up the wall to near vertical is good enough? Because it's a ton easier and what I was doing before. Trying to coordinate hand and foot movement when all your weight is on your hands is awkward. It's like trying to learn to walk in a handstand before you can hold them.

Absolutely it’s good enough, at least as far as handstand practice goes.

Wall walks are a prep exercise, both to train enough strength to be able to hold a proper handstand position, and to train away the fear of being upside down that most people start with.

Once you’re past those two issues, you’re getting fully upside-down, and you can hold a reasonable approximation of a handstand position against a wall, there’s not much reason to worry about walking up and down the wall anymore. Holding the HS position for time, focusing on really good form, quickly becomes a better use of your energy. That’s when you start working on transitioning it from a strength exercise (5-30 seconds) to endurance/skill practice (into the 60-90 second holds). And then you can start shifting into practicing pushing off the wall, and things get really fun.

2 hours ago, PaulG said:

Absolutely it’s good enough, at least as far as handstand practice goes.

Wall walks are a prep exercise, both to train enough strength to be able to hold a proper handstand position, and to train away the fear of being upside down that most people start with.

Perfect. I'll skip the walking part then and focus on form and endurance at the top. :)

I trained myself out of feeling uncomfortable being upside down when I was working on bridges. Leaning back blind into a wall and then walking down it was much scarier than handstands.

• Like 1