Scalyfreak refuses to give in to Despair

Scaly Freak

So much for relaxing and stretching in the sun.

Scalyfreak doesn’t actually sigh, because it’s difficult to do that while dodging, ducking, dipping, diving and dodging out of the way of a barrage of attacks from the surprisingly large monster that appeared out of nowhere and nearly pinned her to the ground for a moment. She would most definitely sigh if she had the breath to spare for it, but she’s too busy running back and forth across the field she was relaxing in just a moment ago.

After a few dodges and dives out of the way, Scalyfreak finally manages to get her feet set and her shield up. It only took about a dozen attacks or so from the monster that ambushed her, and while swords are great, a bladed weapon is not quite as optimal for blocking as a shield is. Thankfully, the shield holds. Several times. Yet, after far too many dodged attacks and far too much running from surprise blasts, when Scalyfreak finally manages to keep her distance from the large beast long enough to take a breath, the monster in question looks closely at her, and smiles.

Scalyfreak smiles back, if baring one’s teeth and growling can be called a smile. “I hope you realize what a colossal waste of time this is.”

The creature shrieks and sends a shock wave in Scalyfreak’s general direction. Thankfully it is obvious and easy to block, so much so that it gives Scalyfreak an excuse to laugh and mock her opponent.

"A surge of apathy? Really?"

Wait. Really?

Scalyfreak takes a few steps back, shield lifted and ready to parry another attack, and keeps her sword at the ready.  “Apathy... And earlier you hit me with an over-whelm debuff, and before that you tried to mind-twist me into avoiding this fight altogether. You’re Despair, aren’t you?”

And Despair smiled, and swung its scythe, and never once paused to listen or respond.

gm0kF8Q.png

Primary goal: Survive the Flood

My home has water damage. :( The short version of events is that there’s an unintended indoor pool right below my kitchen floor and it’s going to take time and efforts to fix this... time and efforts that will completely block access to my kitchen, which makes me sad. Details below in the spoiler.

Spoiler

We have a fridge-freezer combination appliance that has an ice dispenser and a water dispenser in the front. According to the plumber who visited today, the water line that brings water to the fridge has a very small leak that has been spraying water into the kitchen wall for Zeus knows how long. Thanks to gravity, the water did not get stuck in the wall, it went down towards the crawl space below our house and gradually soaked everything in between the kitchen floor and the crawl space. Once the saturation levels went to the point of dripping wet, there was nowhere for the water in the insulation layers to go but upwards, into the floorboards in the kitchen.

At this point, which was a little over a week ago, the kitchen floor boards started curling/warping, which concerned myself and Husband. We watched the floor closely, and when it was obvious it was getting worse, we called a plumber and asked them to come look at the situation. After locating the leak and cutting off the water to it (to prevent the water damage from getting worse) the plumber left and we discussed the situation. Since I had to go back to work and Husband has his days to himself these days, he stepped up and handled everything. He called our insurance company, contacted the floor-repair company recommended by both the insurance company and the plumber… set up appointments, handled people going in and out of our house all day, and overall was a magnificent hero.

At the end of our day, we found ourselves with an insurance claim, a pending estimate that will go to our insurance company, and we are now waiting to hear back to find out how badly our house is damaged and how much it will cost us to have this repaired.

The next step, once all the insurance paper work has been managed, is to dry out the drenched part of the kitchen, and then repair all the damage eventually. We’re looking at a couple of months’ worth of work happening in the most important part of my home, and during all that time my kitchen will not be available to me. There will be no cooking. There will be no baking. There will no fun food projects while this is going on. :(

A substantial silver lining here is that our home insurance apparently is kick-ass fantastic, and will cover the vast majority of all expenses, but it’s still a massive intrusion and inconvenience. This will be challenging.

Secondary goals:

Continue the yoga. Because the shoulders and neck are still suffering from the injuries inflicted by the Anti-Ergonomic Desk Setup of Torture, and they need the stretching in order to heal.

Meditate more. Because there is no such thing as too much meditation and The Flame relaxes and stops attacking me when I meditate. And when I lose access to my kitchen, this will be sorely needed.

Do good things that makes Despair hurt and angry. This can be volunteer work, a birthday party appearance for a nephew or niece, or a neck massage for Husband. It doesn’t matter what this is, as long as it shields someone else from Despair’s vicious attacks.

Get back to lifting. The hard deadline for this is before the end of the challenge. My shoulders and back feel good and I have adjustable dumbbells. There is no excuse not to lift anymore. Lifting will happen before the end of this challenge.

I have no idea how this kitchen thing will end up, so I’m deliberately leaving this as simple as possible.

Despair will not win this. I refuse to let that happen.

• Like 8

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

This one?

giphy.gif 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

52 minutes ago, Scalyfreak said:

Do good things that makes Despair hurt and angry. This can be volunteer work, a birthday party appearance for a nephew or niece, or a neck massage for Husband. It doesn’t matter what this is, as long as it shields someone else from Despair’s vicious attacks.

I love this! I actually feel like you shielded me from despairs aura there for a bit :)

so sorry about your loss of kitchen.. are you planning to set up something temporary?

• Like 2

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Just now, KB Girl said:

so sorry about your loss of kitchen.. are you planning to set up something temporary?

I'm holding off on planning until I know what I need to plan for.... but I will definitely need to set up a temporary solution.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Oh, woof, that sucks. But yay for good insurance. 

And you can totally do something temporary - adventure cooking! And it’s Summer! Cooking outside is possible! So many opportunities for creative problem solving. 

Level 74 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Also glad to see you’re sticking around with the Druids! 

• Like 1

Level 74 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

I was coming here make fun of you for getting here so late but this:

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

My home has water damage

is a very good reason to be dealing other stuff than putting up a challenge here.  I hope the repair work is less complex than you expect and gets completed ahead of schedule.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

My home has water damage. :(  [...] We have a fridge-freezer combination appliance that has an ice dispenser and a water dispenser in the front. [...]  the water line that brings water to the fridge has a very small leak

Ohh no! This is pretty much exactly what happened to us, except we got a bit of a bigger leak, so it more quickly showed up on top of the floor. I'm sorry you have to go through the same ordeal as we have!

After removing all the wet insulation, and the wet floorboards+subfloor, the insurance company put in a dehumidifier to dry out the floor joists. It had to run 24/7 for eight weeks to properly dry it out... It all happened in February, and it's still not properly restored *sigh*.  

The good thing is that they could put temporary sheets of plywood down, so we've still been able to use our kitchen for cooking all this time, but we're eating in another room for the time being.

Hopefully they can get your kitchen restored faster than ours.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

Hopefully they can get your kitchen restored faster than ours.

I hope so too!

The contractor who will do the floor repair work thinks it will take 2-3 months, depending on how long it takes to dry everything out. They did say the area counts as a small leak, comparatively, so we should not need to replace the floor outside the kitchen, with the possible exception of the a part of the laundry room. The wall where the leak originates is the wall between kitchen and laundry room, so a small part of the laundry room floor may need work as well.

This whole situation has been extremely stressful for us. Now that we have a better idea of what we're dealing with stress levels have gone down quite a bit.

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

53 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Oh shoot, that sucks mightily. But the most important question is, what are you going to eat?

The insurance company provides a daily stipend that will cover the cost of eating out while we are lacking a kitchen. Unfortunately The Corona Plague is spreading through our state like the, well, like the plague, so we plan to make the food come to us, or to pick it up curb side. We'll see. Still in the early stages.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

5 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

The insurance company provides a daily stipend that will cover the cost of eating out while we are lacking a kitchen. Unfortunately The Corona Plague is spreading through our state like the, well, like the plague, so we plan to make the food come to us, or to pick it up curb side. We'll see. Still in the early stages.

That is awesome that your insurance provides that, but yeah, the timing is certainly less than ideal.

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 6/26/2020 at 2:59 AM, Scalyfreak said:

My home has water damage. :(

:( But hooray that you are on top of it. And that you have someone else available to help you deal with it too, who sounds like he's doing a great job of it.

Do you have kitchen appliances that you can liberate from the kitchen while this is going on to help you with your food situation? A toaster oven, slow cooker, rice cooker? We often shove these outside this time of year anyway for normal cooking. Even just the toaster if you have normally have toast in the mornings might help things feel more normal and manageable. And there's lots of potential for food adventures there if you are so inclined - you'd be amazed what you can cook with only a rice cooker (hint - keep pressing cook and you can use the bottom like a frying pan).

On 6/26/2020 at 2:59 AM, Scalyfreak said:

Despair will not win this. I refuse to let that happen.

Damn straight you won't. And what a wonderful plan to combat it in yourself by fighting it in others.

• Like 2

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  

14 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Do you have kitchen appliances that you can liberate from the kitchen while this is going on to help you with your food situation? 

Yes, actually. The coffee maker for one, will most absolutely be liberated and set up to make coffee in a new location. I also have  large griddle and an Instant Pot that has a slow cooker feature, and I suspect both these will see a lot of use in the near future.

• Like 9

Book Riot Challenge 2021

10 hours ago, Scalyfreak said:

I also have  large griddle

Sounds like time to start having Japanese street food (Yakisoba, Okonomiyaki, Yakiniku, etc.) :) 

Level 2 Ninja

Oh wow! I am so sorry to hear about your kitchen. That is awful but glad your insurance is going to take care of it. 

Do you have a grill? Maybe turn this into the summer of eating and cooking outdoors. 

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

1 hour ago, h3r0 said:

Do you have a grill?

Not yet....

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Yikes! bummer to hear about the kitchen. 2-3 months is a long time. 

I was also going to suggest a grill and/or a camping stove might come in handy if you have the space and are able to do so. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Sorry to hear about the kitchen - I have no incremental good ideas to share, but you're clever and creative and I'm sure you'll come up with a workable solution.

Also, yay for very good homeowner's insurance! Would you be willing to give a positive shout out, here or in a PM, what the name of your insurer is? I wanna file that info away for down the line when I own the place I live instead of making all repairs someone else's problem like I currently do.

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

10 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I was also going to suggest a grill and/or a camping stove might come in handy if you have the space and are able to do so. 

We've been dragging our feet on buying one for a while... whether we buy one now will depend a lot on how much money we need to spend on flood repairs.

7 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Sorry to hear about the kitchen - I have no incremental good ideas to share, but you're clever and creative and I'm sure you'll come up with a workable solution.

Also, yay for very good homeowner's insurance! Would you be willing to give a positive shout out, here or in a PM, what the name of your insurer is? I wanna file that info away for down the line when I own the place I live instead of making all repairs someone else's problem like I currently do.

Thank you. I suspect my workable solution will be "lots of takeout", so trying to eat something reasonably healthy might be a challenge... we'll see how it goes.

And our insurance is through USAA, passed down from father to son.

It also occurred to me I need to update my challenge goals a little.

Primary goal: Survive the Flood

The Great Paperwork Dance has begun. The insurance company sends us documents that say they are waiting for documents. 

Secondary goals:

Continue the yoga. Lunch break yoga happened yesterday. Not so much today.

Meditate more. I remembered to mediate over the weekend, and my sessions are at least 20 minutes long. They help.

Do good things that makes Despair hurt and angry. Did a short birthday appearance for very young nephew this weekend. Only the close family attended, and we all wore masks and kept our distance to each other.

Get back to lifting. Still pending.

• Like 8

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Do you have a healthy ready meal delivery service in your area? I sent my Aunt a weeks’ worth of healthy ready meals when my Uncle died last winter in lieu of a casserole - blew her mind that she could have something so convenient and healthy at her fingertips without resorting to freezer food or traditional delivery. 

I think I googled something along the lines of ‘meal delivery service + Columbus’ and if I remember correctly a few (aside from Blue Apron and the boxes like that) popped up. 

Also love us some USAA. Was miffed the year they dropped our homeowners insurance and didn’t manage to tell us, but we’ve been happy with them overall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 74 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||